HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

wally31:NHL 2013 Mock Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2013, 07:45 PM
  #1
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
wally31:NHL 2013 Mock Draft

Disclaimer: This is not strictly a BPA draft. Some picks might seem controversial, but lets face it, drafts are very unpredictable. (Couts, Forsberg, Teuvo, Fowler, etc.) I did take into account teams needs / strengths / weaknesses / etc.

* Please see my second post for my BPA rankings.

- Teams pick based on their rankings via NHL.com @ 12pm MT

Example: Flyers & Sabres. I didn't select guys like Monahan / Lindholm because of the wealth of C prospects they already posses. (Couts, Schenn, Laughton, Grigs, Hodgson, etc.)

More examples: Canes, Bolts, Oilers.

1st | Seth Jones
2nd | Nathan MacKinnon
3rd | Jonathon Drouin
4th | Darnell Nurse
5th | Valeri Nichushkin
6th | Rasmus Ristolainen
7th | Aleksander Barkov
8th | Ryan Pulock
9th | Elias Lindholm
10th | Nikita Zardorov
11th | Sean Monahan
12th | Alexander Wennberg
13th | Hunter Shinkaruk
14th | Robert Hägg
15th | Max Domi
16th | (via NYR) Adam Erne
17th | Anthony Mantha
18th | (via MIN) Joshua Morrissey
19th | Fredrick Gauthier
20th | Curtis Lazar
21st | (via STL) Bo Horvat
22nd| Kerby Rychel
23th | Morgan Klimchuck
24th | (via LAK) Ryan Hartman


Last edited by F l a m e s: 04-14-2013 at 08:33 PM.
F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:45 PM
  #2
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
25th | Nicolas Petan
26th | (via BOS) JT Compher
27th | Valentin Zykov
28th | Mirco Mueller
29th | (via PIT) Ian McCoshen
30th | Zach Fucale

Flames walk away with: Jonathan Drouin, Bo Horvat, Ian McCoshen. All in all, a very successful/defining day.

I take pride in following the CHL (season ticket holder for the Hitmen & Warriors) and regularly going over seas to Sweden. I use quite a few other prospect sources when making my list, and compare results... I feel like I have a good handle on this draft class. I would love to hear your feedback.

BPA RANKINGS: (These are my March rankings... April is obviously different, but not complete.)
1. Seth Jones
2. Nathan MacKinnon
3. Jonathan Drouin
4. Aleksander Barkov
5. Sean Monahan
6. Elias Lindholm
7. Darnell Nurse
8. Alexander Wennberg
9. Ryan Pulock
10. Valeri Nichushkin
11. Hunter Shinkaruk
12. Max Domi
13. Josh Morrissey
14. Rasmus Ristolainen
15. Nikita Zadorov
16. Curtis Lazar
17. Frederick Gauthier
18. Robert Hägg
19. Adam Erne
20. Morgan Klimchuk
21. Kerby Rychel
22. Valentin Zykov
23. Anthony Mantha
24. Nicolas Petan
25. Ian McCoshen
26. Ryan Hartman
27. Bo Horvat
28. Mirco Mueller
29. Zach Fucale
30. Jason Dickinson

Go Go!


Last edited by F l a m e s: 04-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.
F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
  #3
TychoFan
Registered User
 
TychoFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 857
vCash: 50
Interesting, does anyone know if Drouin actually wants to play center in the NHL though? If he does, he'd be like twice as awesome. I heard that from some people.

TychoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
  #4
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoFan View Post
Interesting, does anyone know if Drouin actually wants to play center in the NHL though? If he does, he'd be like twice as awesome. I heard that from some people.
I wouldn't be surprised if he does. Before this season, that was his natural position. If Nate goes straight to the NHL (I think he will) Drouin will more than likely be the number 1C for the Moose*.

* - This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm pretty confident with my analysis.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:18 PM
  #5
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
I don't see Calgary passing on Hartman he seems like a perfect fit, I think Tampa would take Barkov as he would give them an elite #2 center behind Stamkos. I find it hard to believe Ristolainen or Pulock go that early.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
  #6
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,920
vCash: 150
No chance Barkov slips to 7th. Interesting list.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
  #7
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I don't see Calgary passing on Hartman he seems like a perfect fit, I think Tampa would take Barkov as he would give them an elite #2 center behind Stamkos. I find it hard to believe Ristolainen or Pulock go that early.
I thought through all of these scenarios.. Like I said, this isn't a BPA. (I have a separate list for that.)

Tampa: With Stamkos & Vinny down the middle (locked up long-term) I see them going with an elite winger.

Hartman: I absolutely, without a doubt, believe Horvat > Hartman. This was, IMO, a BPA pick at this position.

Horvat does everything Hartman does, but just a little better.

Ristolainen: After Jones, Nurse is the best defender. Philly is content to draft a hulking/physical D with Risto. (We see Dmen who we thought would go later go early all the time... example: Lindholm, Pouliot.

Pulock: This is strictly a positional pick. He's also had 3 seasons of development in the WHL, and is physically mature. He could insert in their lineup and help a weak defensive core very soon.

Thanks for the feedback TheHudlinator!

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:30 PM
  #8
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
No chance Barkov slips to 7th. Interesting list.
In most cases, I would agree with you, but this is a very interesting draft for so many reasons.

Carolina - Staal / Staal locked up long-term
Tampa - Stamkos / Vinny locked up long-term
Philly - Giroux / Schenn / Couts

On my BPA list, I have Barkov at #4.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
  #9
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I thought through all of these scenarios.. Like I said, this isn't a BPA. (I have a separate list for that.)

Tampa: With Stamkos & Vinny down the middle (locked up long-term) I see them going with an elite winger.

Hartman: I absolutely, without a doubt, believe Horvat > Hartman. This was, IMO, a BPA pick at this position.

Horvat does everything Hartman does, but just a little better.

Ristolainen: After Jones, Nurse is the best defender. Philly is content to draft a hulking/physical D with Risto. (We see Dmen who we thought would go later go early all the time... example: Lindholm, Pouliot.

Pulock: This is strictly a positional pick. He's also had 3 seasons of development in the WHL, and is physically mature. He could insert in their lineup and help a weak defensive core very soon.

Thanks for the feedback TheHudlinator!
No problem it takes some courage to post your picks.

Vinny is going downhill rather fast he is only effective with either Stamkos or Stl on the ice. Also Stamkos is a better winger than centermen getting Barkov would allow them to increase Vinny's play.

We will have to disagree about Hartman, Hartman is a much more physical offensively gifted player the only thing Horvat has on him is defense and I would rather go for the higher offensive potential player.

I don't disagree Philly and Edmonton needs defense but personally I have Ristolainen at 10 and Pulock at 12 their rises over Barkov and Lindholm seems hard to believe but maybe both are desperate enough to go against BPA?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
  #10
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?
 
100 Third Graders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,062
vCash: 50
Wally, what do you think about others doing their mock drafts in here too? maybe make a game of it.

100 Third Graders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:51 PM
  #11
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Wally, what do you think about others doing their mock drafts in here too? maybe make a game of it.
No problems.. I was actually going to open a thread closer to the draft to "predict the draft"

Everyone puts there picks for the draft, and see who gets the best score.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:53 PM
  #12
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
No problem it takes some courage to post your picks.

Vinny is going downhill rather fast he is only effective with either Stamkos or Stl on the ice. Also Stamkos is a better winger than centermen getting Barkov would allow them to increase Vinny's play.

We will have to disagree about Hartman, Hartman is a much more physical offensively gifted player the only thing Horvat has on him is defense and I would rather go for the higher offensive potential player.

I don't disagree Philly and Edmonton needs defense but personally I have Ristolainen at 10 and Pulock at 12 their rises over Barkov and Lindholm seems hard to believe but maybe both are desperate enough to go against BPA?
Very interesting. I am very high on Hartman, but believe Horvat has better offensive gifts, and defensive game... Hartman is more phsyical/pesty. Like you said, agree to disagree.

In my March rankings I had Risto at 14, and Pulock around 12?...
Lots of people (scouts) had Pouliot around 14 - 16 and Lindholm around 10 - 15. If a team likes a defender, they will take them early.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
  #13
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?
 
100 Third Graders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,062
vCash: 50
let's save it for then then.

100 Third Graders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:52 AM
  #14
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,837
vCash: 1263
I would not be pleased at all if this happened. Drouin is not a center

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:35 AM
  #15
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 550
No thanks on Drouin.
If Calgary finishes fourth and Mack, Seth and Barkov are off the table, I'd rather trade down to get Lindholm and another pick over Drouin.

5'11'' LW in the Q, who played center when he was 16 and under. Pass. I've heard enough of the "He played center! He can be a center" ******** in Calgary for one season.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:51 AM
  #16
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I would not be pleased at all if this happened. Drouin is not a center
Drouin is also going to be the BPA at 3. He has arguably more skill than anyone in the draft.

If you are sad at Drouin at 3... something is wrong with you.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:59 AM
  #17
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Drouin is also going to be the BPA at 3. He has arguably more skill than anyone in the draft.

If you are sad at Drouin at 3... something is wrong with you.
I'm surprised at the hostility surrounding Drouin... The kid could easily be an 85 -95pt player...

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
  #18
Janko Unchained
Repose en paix Jules
 
Janko Unchained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I'm surprised at the hostility surrounding Drouin... The kid could easily be an 85 -95pt player...
Same here... If we have a chance at Drouin, we take him. So what if he hasn't played center in a few years? What guarantee is there that MacKinnon will play center when he comes to the NHL? I'd rather get Drouin if it means we aren't getting one of Barkov/MacKinnon/Jones than Lindholm/Monahan - and I mean no disrespect to Lindholm or Monahan, I just think that Drouin is possibly the most talented player in the draft.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
  #19
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,920
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
In most cases, I would agree with you, but this is a very interesting draft for so many reasons.

Carolina - Staal / Staal locked up long-term
Tampa - Stamkos / Vinny locked up long-term
Philly - Giroux / Schenn / Couts

On my BPA list, I have Barkov at #4.
I may have been a bit quick on the trigger there, the more I look at it if the draft unfolds that way it could happen, if all those teams pick based on need.

I still think Tampa will see Barkov as an opportunity to replace Vinny, and ship him somewhere else for another asset.

Stamkos, Barkov down the middle for the next 15 years would be too hard for them to pass up, in my opinion.

I think the hesitation towards taking Drouin from our fan base comes more to do with the fact he is not a C or D, than any amount of skill he has. I am sure we would be thrilled to have him on our team, but we do have bigger needs.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:25 PM
  #20
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
No thanks on Drouin.
If Calgary finishes fourth and Mack, Seth and Barkov are off the table, I'd rather trade down to get Lindholm and another pick over Drouin.

5'11'' LW in the Q, who played center when he was 16 and under. Pass. I've heard enough of the "He played center! He can be a center" ******** in Calgary for one season.
No offense but this is a poor reason to not take maybe the most offensively gifted player in the draft, if we get Drouin at 4 we jump up and down and celebrate. Drafting by need in the top 15/first round is a pretty terrible way to draft.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:37 PM
  #21
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
No offense but this is a poor reason to not take maybe the most offensively gifted player in the draft, if we get Drouin at 4 we jump up and down and celebrate. Drafting by need in the top 15/first round is a pretty terrible way to draft.
This is my opinion. There's a dropoff after the top three players in my opinion, I don't see Drouin in the same light as Seth, Mack and Barkov. So if Calgary has the choice to draft Drouin or Calgary has the chance to draft Lindholm + another first. I take the two picks laughing all the way to the bank.

Small high talented wings are nice. But high talented centers you can build around are far more important.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:41 PM
  #22
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 550
Also, people using the BPA reasoning. Calgary has shown it doesn't care much for it.

Remember last draft lol? Better players were available lol!

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
  #23
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
This is my opinion. There's a dropoff after the top three players in my opinion, I don't see Drouin in the same light as Seth, Mack and Barkov. So if Calgary has the choice to draft Drouin or Calgary has the chance to draft Lindholm + another first. I take the two picks laughing all the way to the bank.

Small high talented wings are nice. But high talented centers you can build around are far more important.
You are entitled to your opinion but would you have passed on Kane for Couture?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:59 PM
  #24
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
You are entitled to your opinion but would you have passed on Kane for Couture?
Kane was a first overall, so it's not exactly the best comparison. On the other hand, would you take Toews or Kane.

Personally, sj is so deep in center, that we have no idea what Logan can do. However. I build from the skilled, large, center instead of the problematic soft wing.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:01 PM
  #25
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Kane was a first overall, so it's not exactly the best comparison. On the other hand, would you take Toews or Kane.

Personally, sj is so deep in center, that we have no idea what Logan can do. However. I build from the skilled, large, center instead of the problematic soft wing.
Drouin is ranked #2 on alot of lists as was Kane over center Turris, it is a very good comparable.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.