HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Feaster?

View Poll Results: Should Jay Feaster Be Fired?
Yes 288 81.36%
No 66 18.64%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-02-2013, 10:09 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Might be some odd form of Stockholm Syndrom but I think feaster's done pretty good with the two deals. Look at what Roy, Jagr and Clowe got today. The market for selling right now, for some odd reason, is below HF boards expectations and in comparison to those deals, we did pretty well.
Jagr, Clowe and Roy make Iggy look ok, but Murray, Regehr, Leopold make Bouwmeester look terrible.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:52 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Jagr, Clowe and Roy make Iggy look ok, but Murray, Regehr, Leopold make Bouwmeester look terrible.
What are Murray,Regehr,Leopold cap hit next year?

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:21 PM
RA9

On the Quiz today, the question was whether if Feaster did a good job with the trades coming to deadline day, and grade him A-D

Ward: C
Ferraro: D
Mckenzie: D

Damn...

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA9 View Post
On the Quiz today, the question was whether if Feaster did a good job with the trades coming to deadline day, and grade him A-D

Damn...
You never win when you trade your face of your franchise. Today we finally have proof that any Gm would be forced to push for the playoffs and would not be allowed to rebuild this team the way it needs to be done.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA9 View Post

Damn...
I remember the "experts" when they said we won the deadline with the Jokinen and Leopold trades.

Meh, only two teams get to the Cup. Very few winners at trade deadlines, history shows that.

But I do like Columbus going for the playoffs. They need local interest and playoff revenue big time.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I remember the "experts" when they said we won the deadline with the Jokinen and Leopold trades.

Meh, only two teams get to the Cup. Very few winners at trade deadlines, history shows that.

But I do like Columbus going for the playoffs. They need local interest and playoff revenue big time.
Jarmo is a hell of a GM so far.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
OMGaudreau

I personally would fire Feaster,King and Hartley. In would be Burke,Nicholson and Ruff to fill the positions.

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Jankowski View Post
I personally would fire Feaster,King and Hartley. In would be Burke,Nicholson and Ruff to fill the positions.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:41 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He really seems like a fall guy (not saying he isn't bad but it seems like these deals aren't his). Bob Mac said STL wanted Calgary to hang on to cap and if we did then a prospect like Rattie would have been on the table, it looks like the owners have said no to holding onto salary even tho it could help the team.
Yup nothing will ever change until King is gone too. Feaster is a mouthpiece.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Tackleberry

He made a couple good pickups/trades, but overall he made some major disasters (resigning Dan Boyle and then trading him a week later, realizing they overpaid. Signing Marc Dennis as TB's #1 goalie. Trading Brad Richards for deadbeats and one descent player, then trading that one descent player for a half-used roll of tape.)

Calgary, is this sounding familiar? He is a nice guy, but as a GM he is horrible.

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:08 PM
herashak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
He made a couple good pickups/trades, but overall he made some major disasters (resigning Dan Boyle and then trading him a week later, realizing they overpaid. Signing Marc Dennis as TB's #1 goalie. Trading Brad Richards for deadbeats and one descent player, then trading that one descent player for a half-used roll of tape.)

Calgary, is this sounding familiar? He is a nice guy, but as a GM he is horrible.
i dont mind him as the GM.

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Should we hire Tambo to speed up this rebuild thing

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

I think Feaster gets too much flak, mainly because of the ROR incident earlier, a situation news outlets used to roast the Flames' GM. The NHL never gave a statement on what they believed was the correct interpretation and for all we know, Feaster could of been 100% correct. Lets also not forget that many other GMs did the same mistake and offered ROR trade sheets but because he chose Calgarys everyone assumes he is a big idiot. In my mind, this is unjust. Feaster and the Flames have unfairly become the popular team to be made fun of.

The media especially likes to target and humiliate the proud team as shown with the atrocious coverage of the Flames this season, and even in the previous seasons. Yes, maybe the Flames would of been better off rebuilding three seasons ago but can you blame them? Would you give up on a team which for the last three seasons finished 5 points out and with more points than playoff teams in the east? I know I wouldn't, Stanley cups aren't won by giving up. This is the fourth season, and the Flames management have decided it is time to change things up. They traded probably the most iconic and profitable face in their entire franchise history a person who revitalized the team when it was on the brink of collapse. (Lets not forget now that the Flames almost left the city of Calgary). They should of been given praise for finally doing what the fans wanted and what was right for their team not their wallets. Instead people continuously make fun of the team while knowing very little about it. People are judging these trades based on the rank the prospects were drafted not on their actual skill or potential.

Sometimes players develop far better than what they were originally anticipated. It happens all the time and is called exceeding expectations. Cundrai could be extremely talented but was passed over because of his small size as a defenseman. He tried out with St. Louis and clearly impressed as they signed him. He has put up good numbers for a defenceman in the AHL and in two games has four points for the Heat. From what I've heard Berra has the potential to become an elite goaltender in the NHL. His stats do not tell the whole story and he carries his team every season. He reminds me of Kiprusoff as when we first picked him up nobody would believe that he would be the future star goaltender of the team. Also, did anyone consider that these two prospects could of made a huge impression on our scouting team? Jay Feaster has the tendency to have extreme faith in the scouting department, which is really evident after the whole Jankowski situation. These players could of exceeded the generally expectations at the time and infact could of been a big pick up for the Flames yet because they didn't meet the generally predicted and accepted draft pick rank value, the Flames are once again humiliated for apparently undervaluing Bouwmeester.

I'm sick and tired of everyone making fun of Jay Feaster and Flames management. He has done a good job on an extremely delicate situation where nobody comes out happy in the short term. He has gotten us 3 first round picks, more than enough to start a good rebuild but what has really impressed me is what a class act he has been. People should be praising Feaster and the Flames for not being a heartless organization which treats its players like crap. Feaster has shown class by respecting and letting Iginla choose where he wanted to go. He made sure with the NHL and traded Bouwmeester so that his Iron Man streak would remain intact. And he respected Kiprusoff by letting him stay in Calgary with his new born child instead of trading him. Yet he is continuously made fun of when he deserves respect for his handling of the trades. I have not read or even seen one single article about how classy Feaster has been. We should be proud our GM is not a dick and that he has convinced the owners to do what we the fans wanted. If not, then how can we say we are a respectable fan base? What makes us better than those obnoxious fans of the other Canadian cities? Better than the Leaf fans who don't give anybody a chance, the Habs fans who boo anything which has a bad game, or the obnoxious Canucks fans who whine about everything. During the 03-04 playoff run we prided ourselves on our sportsmanship, our lack of riots and a burning pride for our organization but has the city changed so much in the past few years that we don't anymore? Instead of pinning management as a scapegoat and making fun of Feaster we should be defending our franchise as this is what happens to every team as they get too old. We're not the only team in a rebuild type situation. Dallas and Buffalo have been struggling the past couple of seasons as much as we have, and St. Louis, Colorado and Edmonton had found themselves caught in a similar situation several seasons ago. I'm sick of our franchise being made fun of everywhere, with people humiliating Feaster; Can we not be that proud fan base again who will defend our team instead of joining in?

Sorry for the long rant. If you do read it, I hope you find what I point out agreeable. It feels good to get my feelings about the Feaster situation off my chest.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

/\ Basically how I feel. I'm also sick of people basically assuming that there were better offers out there for Bouwmeester and Iginla, and that Feaster should have made different trades. At the end of the day, you have to take what you can. Holding onto Iginla would get us nowhere, so he had no leverage that way.

Statements like "I would have traded Stajan for ___" also make me angry. No, you wouldn't, because no GM in the league would have made an offer, or accepted anything you asked for unless it was for a different overpaid-underachieving player, who wouldn't solve the problem at all.

I'd say that the media is Feaster's worst enemy right now. I'm surprised he hasn't turned into more of a Tortorella-type character at this point.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
scoringmachine

Here is my judgement on Feaster. Currently I would not fire him as of yet.
When he became the GM of the Flames he came to a team that was close to the cap, more veteran then youth, too many players with long contracts, a coach who could not get the team into playoff and slowly building youth group.

Since then he has done two drafts. The first draft he really did not have the scouting staff that he wanted and had to work with what he got. His second draft he had his scouts and took a gamble on a player who could be a boom or bust for the Flames. One of their scouts Weisboro(sp?) has a history of picking Highschool players in the draft and so far it has turned out well. Currently Calgary knew that they had to trade Iginla and Boston looked like they had the best offer but with Iginla having a NTC in his contract he decided he would rather play in Pittsburgh than Boston so Feaster's hands were tied he had to take a deal with Pittsburgh or risk loosing Iginla for nothing. Calgary did not have to trade Jaybo but did it for a first round pick. Rumors were that Detroit gave a better offer then St Louis but I think Detroit was not willing to give up a first rounder for him so that why Calgary went with St Louis offer.

With Tanguay out for the season. It gives coach Hartley a chance too see the prospects the Flames have and how to use them. Hartely did not have a long enough training camp due to the lock out to fully access the players in the farm. By next season he will get that chance and during of season he can work with Feaster to discuss the type team he needs so they are able to play the system he wants to bring to this team. Then we will see if Feaster can deliver.

We are in rebuild mode and it will take some time before we make the playoff and if we do it right we can have a team that can consistently make the playoffs year in and year out like Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa does.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:49 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Should we hire Tambo to speed up this rebuild thing
Good one

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:18 PM
MarkGio

At the end of the day, id fire him because he failed to deliver what he promised.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:33 PM
herashak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
At the end of the day, id fire him because he failed to deliver what he promised.
what did he promise

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
what did he promise
playoff?

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:43 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
playoff?
That's right. But obviously the laundry list can go on and be debated.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You can only do so much with what you are given. The players Feaster has brought in (Hudler, Wideman) have preformed far above expected, he also brought in Butler, Comeau, Aliu, Cervenka who have been decent. I would let him go over the ROR but outside of that the worse thing he has done is trade a 5th for PLLL.

Its hard to knock the guy for showing faith his players, if anyone should be fired it is players that have let this team down (Gio,Kipper) this year.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:29 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

I would fire Feaster under the right circumstances. I don't have a huge problem with anything he has done, nor do I blame him for thee way the team has declined.

BUT......

I would let him go if it meant getting Brian Burke in the fold.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I would fire Feaster under the right circumstances. I don't have a huge problem with anything he has done, nor do I blame him for thee way the team has declined.

BUT......

I would let him go if it meant getting Brian Burke in the fold.
I'd pack his bags and drive him to the airport myself if we can get Burke.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:37 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
When you hire Burke, maybe a trade can be worked out. Jiri Hudler for Todd Bertuzzi?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:47 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Can you imagine the battle of Alberta with Burke in Calgary and Lowe in Edmonton?
I'd love to see it!

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote