HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
Agreed, I would be embarrassed to call myself an avs fan, if that happens.
I can say with near 100% certainty that it won't happen unless the Duke asks for a trade, so I wouldn't worry. For all its shortcomings, this organization has a pretty good track record for taking care of veteran stars who have stayed loyal.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:41 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Both contracts expire the same time, which makes me think Chevy will try to use Jokinen as a throw-in of some sort. It'd be wiser for the Avs to take Antropov (boy, him and O'Reilly would make for a pretty slow line) instead, but I will make the unlikely and probably inaccurate prediction that Olli and his waffles will be one of the pieces coming back in a Stastny-to-Winnipeg scenario.
Nope Antropov expires this season. Jokinen expires in 2014.

http://capgeek.com/jets

Old
03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Nope Antropov expires this season. Jokinen expires in 2014.

http://capgeek.com/jets
Yes, I'm aware of that, I meant that Stastny's and Jokinen's deals expire at the same time, not Antropov's. I agree it'd probably be wiser for Sherman to take Antropov instead just for salary reasons, I just foresee a scenario where Chevy makes a Jokinen throw-in contingent upon sending Stastny to Winnipeg.

It wouldn't be horrible to have Olli on this team. Yes, in many ways he'd be Tyler Arnason 2.0, but he certainly would work a little harder (not saying much) and is much more talented. Not at all a bad option for the 3rd line, and it would ensure Duchene and O'Reilly were our 1-2 guys going forward. That said...I sure hope to hell the Avs get another player of good value in addition to Jokinen, if indeed this scenario came to pass.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
For me, it has nothing to do with point production. It is his Joe Thornton like, not a care in the world, ho hum attitude (Which Joe Thornton has changed and become more competitive). I just don't like it, and he shouldn't be a guy that the young players in the team look up to. When the going gets tough, I just don't see fight in him. And I know it isn't only him, but he has the A on his chest, and he is a veteran on this team, and he is capable of much more when he wants it.
Thanks for clarifying your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Winnipeg - Stastny
Carolina -ROB, SOB, Zanon, or Hunwick
Washington - Stastny (I think they deal off Ribero before the deadline), depth defensemen, Jones
If we trade Stastny, we better get a really healthy return because I firmly believe that he will EXPLODE with another club. Whether it's in St-Louis playing between Stewart and Steen or Winnipeg between Wheeler and Ladd or Toronto between Kessel and JVR, he will be back to PPG in no time and then we will look like MORONS for having traded a #1 center for less than he's worth. You can bank on that.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:23 PM
the_fan

For the teams that scouting the Avs...

Please take all the dead weight off their hands.

Hunwick, Zanon, O'Byrne for 8044526564466th draft pick.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:45 PM
fanofgoalies98

anyone know if the Avs are potentially looking to sign any college free agents? Couple of defensemen coming out this year.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:53 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofgoalies98 View Post
anyone know if the Avs are potentially looking to sign any college free agents? Couple of defensemen coming out this year.
They better be all over Schmidt!

Old
03-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I really think we should try to package our 2014 1st in some sort of deal for a Top pairing Dman. I don't think we will be bad enough to pick 1st overall. I think at worse we end up in the 3-5 range. To many bad teams in the East(Florida has 1st locked up IMO).

But teams have to look at us right now and think were a bit of a mess. Trading our 1st in 2014 with no protection could hold a lot of value right now.

If somehow I was blessed(or punished) with the job of Avs GM moving into the trade deadline this year, this is what I would do:

- Trade our 2014 1st(unprotected) + Elliott/Sgarbossa to FLR for Kulikov + 2014 3rd
- Trade Jones to a contender for a 2nd, or a 3rd + 6th(if we cant get a 2nd)
- Trade Kobasew for a 3rd or 4th.
- Trade Hunwick for a 3rd
- Trade Obyrne for whatever we get
- Bring Barrie back up and put him next to Hejda for the rest of the year.
- Fire Sacco(This is priority #1 actually, before anything else).

Then assuming we the worse case scenario(or best case if you're for the tank) does occur. We end up with the 3rd overall pick, and we draft Drouin.

Sign Scuderi(3.25M) in the offseason, and resign Stastny and Oreilly in the offseason(5.5M each).

Our roster for next year:

McGinn - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - Oreilly - Downie
Drouin - Stastny - Mitchell
McCleod - Olver - Malone/Bordeleau

Kulikov - EJ
Scuderi - Barrie
Hejda - Wilson

Varly

With that roster and a new head coach, our 2014 1st shouldn't be a Top 14 pick. In fact IMO that team is close to a cup contender.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
For the teams that scouting the Avs...

Please take all the dead weight off their hands.

Hunwick, Zanon, O'Byrne for 8044526564466th draft pick.
That would be fine by me!

Old
03-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Avs71

With all the center's re-signing, Stastny should hold tremendous value. Not saying the Avs should trade him, but if you go through teams top centers it looks like this:

Anaheim: Getz, Koivu
Boston: Bergeron, Krecji
Buffalo: Hodgson, Ennis,
Calgary: Stajan, Cammalleri
Carolina: Staal, Staal
Chicago: Toews
Columbus: Brassard, Dubinsky
Dallas: Benn, Roy
Detroit: Datsyuk, Brunner
Edmonton: Nuge, Gagner
Florida: Huberdeau
Los Angeles: Kopitar, Richards, Carter
Montreal: Plekanec
Nashville: Wilson
New Jersey: Henrique, Zajac
NYI: Tavares
NYR: Richards, Stepan
Ottawa: Spezza
Philadelphia: Giroux, Couturier, Schenn
Phoenix: Hanzal
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin
San Jose: Thornton, Couture, Pavelski
St. Louis: Backes, Berglund
Tampa Bay: Lecavalier, Stamkos
Toronto: Kadri, Bozak
Vancouver: Sedin, Kesler
Washington: Ribeiro, Backstrom
Jets: Little

Bolded are ones that have been in rumours, or are UFAs to be. It is debatable if any of those options are true upgrades over Stastny. Once Ribeiro is gone, there is literally no who would be better than Stastny available. If teams want a #1/#2 center, they're going to have to start drafting them, or forking over a lot of assets (eg. Carter/Richards trades). Stastny should be going nowhere unless there was a package that contained multiple of the following: Top prospect not in the NHL, great young winger, great young defenceman, top 10 nhl pick.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I really think we should try to package our 2014 1st in some sort of deal for a Top pairing Dman. I don't think we will be bad enough to pick 1st overall. I think at worse we end up in the 3-5 range. To many bad teams in the East(Florida has 1st locked up IMO).

But teams have to look at us right now and think were a bit of a mess. Trading our 1st in 2014 with no protection could hold a lot of value right now.

If somehow I was blessed(or punished) with the job of Avs GM moving into the trade deadline this year, this is what I would do:

- Trade our 2014 1st(unprotected) + Elliott/Sgarbossa to FLR for Kulikov + 2014 3rd
- Trade Jones to a contender for a 2nd, or a 3rd + 6th(if we cant get a 2nd)
- Trade Kobasew for a 3rd or 4th.
- Trade Hunwick for a 3rd
- Trade Obyrne for whatever we get
- Bring Barrie back up and put him next to Hejda for the rest of the year.
- Fire Sacco(This is priority #1 actually, before anything else).

Then assuming we the worse case scenario(or best case if you're for the tank) does occur. We end up with the 3rd overall pick, and we draft Drouin.

Sign Scuderi(3.25M) in the offseason, and resign Stastny and Oreilly in the offseason(5.5M each).

Our roster for next year:

McGinn - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - Oreilly - Downie
Drouin - Stastny - Mitchell
McCleod - Olver - Malone/Bordeleau

Kulikov - EJ
Scuderi - Barrie
Hejda - Wilson

Varly

With that roster and a new head coach, our 2014 1st shouldn't be a Top 14 pick. In fact IMO that team is close to a cup contender.
Trading our first is a stupid thing to do at this point. You would think the whole league learned the lesson from the Leafs.

No team is going to give up a second for Jones. I'd be surprised if anyone would pick him up, unless a similar contract is coming back.

Id rather keep Hunwick as a depth defensemen then get a third round pick.

I agree with giving Barrie a shot and firing/not renewing Sacco (I think his contract is up at the end of this season, or am I wrong?)

Scuderi won't sign for 3.25m, and Stastny won't sign for 5.5m. No idea what the O'Reilly camp will be thinking.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Trading our first is a stupid thing to do at this point. You would think the whole league learned the lesson from the Leafs..
To trade our 1rst we need a huge return, so for me, we need to keep our first
Quote:

No team is going to give up a second for Jones. I'd be surprised if anyone would pick him up, unless a similar contract is coming back..
A 2nd for Jones is a huge YES from my point of view

Quote:
I agree with giving Barrie a shot and firing/not renewing Sacco (I think his contract is up at the end of this season, or am I wrong?).
We all say that our defense is our weakest link but Sacco is the weakest link.

Quote:

Scuderi won't sign for 3.25m, and Stastny won't sign for 5.5m. No idea what the O'Reilly camp will be thinking.
If stastny wants more than 5.5 , f"/$ him and trade him.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
A 2nd for Jones is a huge YES from my point of view
I wouldn't do it personally. Sure we got lucky with Staz and O'reilly in the 2nd but does it really help our team to trade Jones for another Mitchell Heard or TJ Galiardi or even a Stefan Elliott who may or may not be ready for a bottom pairing role next year (4 years post draft)

Picks are really overvalued on this board. Jones is having a bad year but if he rebounds to a 20 goal/45 point streaky player next year then I'd rather keep him or trade him in a change of scenery Sherman-type move than flip him for a 2nd.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:01 PM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I wouldn't do it personally. Sure we got lucky with Staz and O'reilly in the 2nd but does it really help our team to trade Jones for another Mitchell Heard or TJ Galiardi or even a Stefan Elliott who may or may not be ready for a bottom pairing role next year (4 years post draft)

Picks are really overvalued on this board. Jones is having a bad year but if he rebounds to a 20 goal/45 point streaky player next year then I'd rather keep him or trade him in a change of scenery Sherman-type move than flip him for a 2nd.
I am not saying that it is a sure thing that a second would become better than jones. But the money that we would save can be invested on a UFA that could give us better hockey that Jones.

So it could be a 2nd +UFA for Jones and that, I am all for it

Old
03-15-2013, 05:13 PM
AslanRH
What do I know?

vCash: 100
Dallas (unfortunately soon to be in our division) is an interesting trade partner. Lots of LHD (Daley, Dillon, Goligoski and Oleksiak). They could look to get younger at either Wing and may lose Roy at C. They also have some FWD prospects I think may be of value in Smith and Fraser.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

NHL gave Duchene the third goal last night, meaning Parenteau and EJ got the assists and Zanon lost his assist.

NHL, y u no help boost the trade value of Garden Gnome Greg?

Old
03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
NHL gave Duchene the third goal last night, meaning Parenteau and EJ got the assists and Zanon lost his assist.

I blame Bettman

Old
03-15-2013, 06:34 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Thanks for clarifying your position.

If we trade Stastny, we better get a really healthy return because I firmly believe that he will EXPLODE with another club. Whether it's in St-Louis playing between Stewart and Steen or Winnipeg between Wheeler and Ladd or Toronto between Kessel and JVR, he will be back to PPG in no time and then we will look like MORONS for having traded a #1 center for less than he's worth. You can bank on that.
Winner winner chicken dinner. It's really going to suck when this happens.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheFan19 View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner. It's really going to suck when this happens.
How about we just continue to build our winger depth, and let him explode on the Avs. It wont suck as much but he will still explode.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Coyotes extend OEL. 6 years, $33 million.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Bubba Thudd
formerly Thubuda Bud

vCash: 6154
Quote:

3GZ

That's my name for him now.

Garden Gnome Greg Zanon

03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Coyotes extend OEL. 6 years, $33 million.
That's a hell of a deal, good fair contract. Hats off to OEL & Phoenix for that one.

I hope Duchene's extension is identical to this one, this is also identical to what Tavares got I believe.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
That's a hell of a deal, good fair contract. Hats off to OEL & Phoenix for that one.

I hope Duchene's extension is identical to this one, this is also identical to what Tavares got I believe.
Duchene will get more. It will be Duchene's third contract and Avs will buy more UFA years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Duchene make $6.5M/year at least, if he keeps his play up.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:19 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Duchene will get more. It will be Duchene's third contract and Avs will buy more UFA years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Duchene make $6.5M/year at least, if he keeps his play up.
Surprised no, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Duchene still sign the same exact extension Tavares got either. Duchene's atitude towards the team suggests he may be willing to take somewhat of a discount.

I think he also will want to drive the knife even further (against O'Reilly) with a small sacrifice for the team. Even if it is just coming from his ego.

Hes said plainly many times that he wouldn't go about things the same way O'Reilly did.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Nihiliste

Tavares contract was a 2nd contract after a 67 point season. Duchene's will be a 3rd contract that eats more UFA years and will come after a more productive season (if he continues his current level of play)

Tavares himself wouldn't have signed that same contract again if he had waited till the end of his ELC to extend, they have him at a bargain right now.

Duchene will get paid. He may not want to hold out, go to Russia, have his father attack the team, or cause a media ****fit to get the money he wants, but he won't need to - Avs will offer him market value or a bit lower and he'll accept.

EDIT: To put things another way, who other than Radulov has conducted themselves the way O'reilly did? Not wanting to do what O'reilly did doesn't mean he wants to be underpaid by 1-2 million.

Closed Thread