HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
The more I think on it and read on here from the smarter than me folk, the more I think Jones should stay.
-He won't return much for value
-Avs are already thin at RW, Downie seems a consistent injury candidate with his play. And playing 3Cs Avs will need plenty of wings
-Replacing him with a FA will cost as much if not more.
-Can move him to LW if a RW is drafted or signed.

-Get him to do some extra work this summer and hope he rounds back into the player he was signed to be.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Way too soon to give up on David Jones. The unfortunate thing is that he always has and always will have gaping holes in his game. But when he's on he can contribute in a number of ways. Hopefully a new coach will get him back on the right track and he actually works his *** off this offseason like Duchene did.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:39 PM
the_fan

Jones is a perfect example of a streaky point producer. Guys like this can't be counted on to provide you offense in consistent basis. They'll get hot for few games, but then they get cold for even more games. This team is not gonna be a winning team until they fix that and their defense.

PAP is pretty much the only consistent winger the Avs have. Too many streaky scorers on this team.

PAP, O'Reilly, Duchene the only consistency on this team. That's why they are last in the west.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
The problem with David Jones is that his puck handling is atrocious. That makes him a bad fit on any kind of skill line. He's a possession killer. I'm not sure there is any bouncing back from not being skilled.

He'll probably get his 20-25 goals in the future, but I'm not sure his line will be an effective one. He's an anchor, dragging the line down because he is so limited. I guess on a third line exploiting line mitmatches, he might be a plus player.

Of course this was known when he signed his jackpot deal. Nothing that's happened this year should be reason to revise that view. He's off to a slow start, but he's still the same David Jones. I'm sure he'll get a few goals sooner rather than later.

I do like the way he's driving the net lately. He's been a bit unlucky.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:08 PM
the_fan

Gaborik is on the trading block.

Gaborik Duchene PAP line

Old
03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Gaborik is on trading block.

Gaborik Duchene PAP line
Nope.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:24 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
The problem with David Jones is that his puck handling is atrocious. That makes him a bad fit on any kind of skill line. He's a possession killer.
Exactly correct, and I agree 100%. Seems that every time he receives a pass in transition, he bobbles the thing. He's lost his speed also, unfortunately. The one solid skill he does possess, is he's really pretty good at positioning himself properly around the net, and picking up garbage goals there (he's also not a bad cycle/forecheck guy).

I believe the Avs should use Jones the same way Detroit used Holmstrom for years. Play him on a depth line (3rd line is fine), then give him regular power play minutes and plant his ass in front of the net, and allow him to use his best skill.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:34 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Gaborik is on the trading block.

Gaborik Duchene PAP line
If they are willing to take Jones back...

Old
03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
If they are willing to take Jones back...
Jones, Hunwick, Zanon, O'Byrne for Gaborik

Old
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I would rather overpay for Perry than get Gaborik for cheap.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:20 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I would rather overpay for Perry than get Gaborik for cheap.
I'd rather get Sbisa and Ryan in a package for what Avs would give up for Perry and then have to pay to resign him.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:03 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I'd rather get Sbisa and Ryan in a package for what Avs would give up for Perry and then have to pay to resign him.
I am figuratively speaking of course.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:53 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

Anyone think the Avs might get into the college Free Agents starting to appear? Always a funny hype on the boards when this time approaches.

Trying to think if we've ever really gone this route before?..After Zach Cohen i'm blanking lol..

Old
03-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
Anyone think the Avs might get into the college Free Agents starting to appear? Always a funny hype on the boards when this time approaches.

Trying to think if we've ever really gone this route before?..After Zach Cohen i'm blanking lol..
They seem to have tried before with Bozak and I want to say others, but never seem to land them. They probably don't want to pay top dollar for those kind of guys, and given what they tend to end up as, I can't necessarily blame them.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
They seem to have tried before with Bozak and I want to say others, but never seem to land them. They probably don't want to pay top dollar for those kind of guys, and given what they tend to end up as, I can't necessarily blame them.
I hear this college free agent class is very weak. The only one worth going after is DeKeyser.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I hear this college free agent class is very weak. The only one worth going after is DeKeyser.
It isn't the strongest, but it really isn't weak. DeKeyser could fit well in our prospect pool and compete for a spot on next year, but he will end up in Detroit or Tampa Bay. A couple other names that might come up:

Andrej Sustr - Huge defensemen (6'8"-6'9") but a little on the thin side, good shot, good first pass, and surprisingly a pretty good skater. On the downside, he isn't nearly as physical as you would like and is prone to make some risky/dumb passes. Very inconsistent. He will wow you for 3-4 games and show you that he has amazing potential, and then fall flat on his face for the next couple games. Has first pairing potential, but it will likely never be met and he will settle in as a player in the middle or bottom pairings that you always feel there is more talent left in him.

Nate Schmidt - Decent size (6' ~195lb) good skater, has a great work ethic, very good shot, can QB a PP with the best in the college ranks, better defensively than frequently given credit for (covers a lot for his partner), and has probably one of the best sets of hands on a defensemen in college right now. IMO he will be Yandle light. Projects as a middle pairing PP QB, but could fall to being an AHL #1D.

Antoine Laganière - Maybe the most intriguing player in the UFA class. A big center (6'4" 6'5") that needs to fill in his frame. Great at puck possession and uses his size very well on the offensive side of the puck. Can play very physical at times, but can disappear as well. Much better skater than you would think given his size. Solid defensively. His youtube highlights bring back memories of Forsberg, don't be fooled by them. On the downside I really question his hockey IQ and vision. Projects to be a 3rd line center with some offensive upside, and if he finds a groove could be a #2.

Rylan Schwartz - Basically a light version of his brother Jaden. He may only top out as an AHL dynamo, but could find a place on a scoring line that needs a dynamic wing.

Ryan Walters - One of the leading scorers in the NCAA this year. Good speed, strong shot, and good vision. I'm not sure he thinks the game at a NHL level, nor does he have the talent to make up for that. He can either boom and be a scoring line winger or bust and be an average AHL player. Had a big time breakout year this year, which makes me question him and his production more than I probably should as he is a very hard working player.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:43 AM
PAZ

I never saw his name mentioned yet, but i'd much rather have Matt Read over guys like Horton, Clowe, etc. Semin would be nice, but he's going to demand a huge payday next season.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
It isn't the strongest, but it really isn't weak. DeKeyser could fit well in our prospect pool and compete for a spot on next year, but he will end up in Detroit or Tampa Bay. A couple other names that might come up:

Andrej Sustr - Huge defensemen (6'8"-6'9") but a little on the thin side, good shot, good first pass, and surprisingly a pretty good skater. On the downside, he isn't nearly as physical as you would like and is prone to make some risky/dumb passes. Very inconsistent. He will wow you for 3-4 games and show you that he has amazing potential, and then fall flat on his face for the next couple games. Has first pairing potential, but it will likely never be met and he will settle in as a player in the middle or bottom pairings that you always feel there is more talent left in him.

Nate Schmidt - Decent size (6' ~195lb) good skater, has a great work ethic, very good shot, can QB a PP with the best in the college ranks, better defensively than frequently given credit for (covers a lot for his partner), and has probably one of the best sets of hands on a defensemen in college right now. IMO he will be Yandle light. Projects as a middle pairing PP QB, but could fall to being an AHL #1D.

Antoine Laganière - Maybe the most intriguing player in the UFA class. A big center (6'4" 6'5") that needs to fill in his frame. Great at puck possession and uses his size very well on the offensive side of the puck. Can play very physical at times, but can disappear as well. Much better skater than you would think given his size. Solid defensively. His youtube highlights bring back memories of Forsberg, don't be fooled by them. On the downside I really question his hockey IQ and vision. Projects to be a 3rd line center with some offensive upside, and if he finds a groove could be a #2.

Rylan Schwartz - Basically a light version of his brother Jaden. He may only top out as an AHL dynamo, but could find a place on a scoring line that needs a dynamic wing.

Ryan Walters - One of the leading scorers in the NCAA this year. Good speed, strong shot, and good vision. I'm not sure he thinks the game at a NHL level, nor does he have the talent to make up for that. He can either boom and be a scoring line winger or bust and be an average AHL player. Had a big time breakout year this year, which makes me question him and his production more than I probably should as he is a very hard working player.
The guy I've been impressed with this year is Alex Krushelnyski from Colorado College.
I would be all over that guy when he becomes available to sign. He's the guy that really sticks out in the games I've seen, though I still have a ton of games to watch, which I'll be doing once the Avs season is officially over.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:48 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The guy I've been impressed with this year is Alex Krushelnyski from Colorado College.
I would be all over that guy when he becomes available to sign. He's the guy that really sticks out in the games I've seen, though I still have a ton of games to watch, which I'll be doing once the Avs season is officially over.
Agreed, but I think he will stay another year. He really needs to bulk up more and another year in college would help.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Rylan Schwartz is someone who I would like to add. Doesn't have the best vision in the world, but put him with a playmaking centre and he will score goals.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
It isn't the strongest, but it really isn't weak.

Plenty of College players don't breakout until their 3rd or 4th season. Walters has been a solid scorer since before college so he has a track record. He would probably be a good complimentary winger for a top 6 line in the NHL if everything came together with the right linemates. Has some snarl to his game too

Old
03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Plenty of College players don't breakout until their 3rd or 4th season. Walters has been a solid scorer since before college so he has a track record. He would probably be a good complimentary winger for a top 6 line in the NHL if everything came together with the right linemates. Has some snarl to his game too
I'm probably being a little harsh on him... With Walters being a Buc I have to be.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

Apparently Cheveldayoff has said Winnipeg is looking for a scoring RW, lets ship Jones out for something.

edit: Its a few days old Im late to the party.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Portzline

"Translation: the Blue Jackets are not going to be buyers in the truest sense of the description. They won't be unloading prospects or picks for veteran (re: aged) players with expiring or large contracts.

There's a better possibility they'll be sellers, even with the club -- as of today -- in the hunt.

The players most talked about will be the following:

R.J. Umberger: He's got a large contract $4.6 million, through 2016-17, and a no-trade clause. That will make it difficult to move, especially with his limited offensive impact (5-5-10 in 29 games). Three years ago, he was considered captain material, but that's no longer the case."

Umberger has about as ugly a contract as Jones has (one extra year and higher salary), but even then I think a straight swap isn't attractive to Bluejackets. I'd be ok with Jones + 3rd for Umberger. A 2nd rounder would be too much to swallow.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Portzline

"Translation: the Blue Jackets are not going to be buyers in the truest sense of the description. They won't be unloading prospects or picks for veteran (re: aged) players with expiring or large contracts.

There's a better possibility they'll be sellers, even with the club -- as of today -- in the hunt.

The players most talked about will be the following:

R.J. Umberger: He's got a large contract $4.6 million, through 2016-17, and a no-trade clause. That will make it difficult to move, especially with his limited offensive impact (5-5-10 in 29 games). Three years ago, he was considered captain material, but that's no longer the case."

Umberger has about as ugly a contract as Jones has (one extra year and higher salary), but even then I think a straight swap isn't attractive to Bluejackets. I'd be ok with Jones + 3rd for Umberger. A 2nd rounder would be too much to swallow.
I wouldn't like adding a possible top 70 pick in this draft to Jones for a struggling Umberger. Perhaps a solid prospect or something to grow Columbus' futures. Wouldn't even mind doing a larger trade of Jones and futures for Umberger and one of the Tyutin or Niki. If its Tyutin then one of our bad contracts on D could go the other way to offset that huge salary coming back this way in Umberger and Tyutin.

Closed Thread