HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Yeah, count me in for that. I love an organization that feels it has absolutely ZERO accountability with the fans who pay for tickets, merchandise, and watch on TV and listen on the radio. I love the fact that they treat their organization like a black box, or an information roach motel, and won't so much as answer legitimate questions from fans and the media as to what direction the team is going, or if there even IS a direction.

But hey, it keeps things suspenseful and unpredictable. We can't for a moment let ourselves get attached to a single player in this organization because POOF, they could be gone tomorrow. It's as if the organization looked at the way J.J. Abrams runs Bad Robot, where spoilers go to die, and said "Y'know, we could really **** with our fans if we did things that way. Let's do it!"

Yep. I love the fact that I have no idea who's really running the show in Colorado, much like we never knew who No. 1 was in "The Prisoner." So much so I bet the guy we end up drafting yells "I AM NOT A LOTTERY PICK I AM A FREE MAN!!!!"

It's a mysterious, shadowy organization with conspiracy theories abounding. And all run by an old fat man with a bionic knee who never shows his face. This is classic Bond villain material. I hope Pierre shows up at his next press conference with a Persian cat in tow. Oh...wait, WHAT press conference!? Silly me...

Yes, I also love the fact that our GM was dragged kicking and screaming into the light like a vampire (not a Twilight vampire, because Sherman isn't sparkly like Sakic) to face the media through gritted teeth following the O'Reilly offer sheet debacle. A debacle where we even managed to hear from O'Reilly, his agent, and even his dad, but absolutely NOTHING from the Avalanche until it was too late. They even managed to make their official press releases sound embittered. And sure enough, Sherman's back in his coffin, only coming around to suck the lifeblood out of whatever hapless intern is in charge of running the team's lifeless Twitter feed, the Twitter feed that just posted that Jan Hejda is leading the Avalanche defense with a whopping seven points. SEVEN POINTS!!!!! Never mind that none of those points are a goal...SEVEN POINTS!!!

I suppose I really should love the way the Avalanche run things, because, really, how in hell to I have the right to demand where my hard-earned dollar goes whenever I buy a jersey or a ticket, since I hand a lot more money than that to Uncle Sam every year and none of us sure as hell know where that money goes, amirite?

So thank you, Avalanche, thank you for keeping me in the dark all these years. Thank you for rolling out an inferior product year after year after year and being seemingly oblivious to the suffering of your fans. And thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for showing me how an organization can go with no identity or face and yet still manage to make themselves a media circus with a major contract dispute that lasts two months into the season.

I may get an infraction for this...but it's all in good fun.
I WANT TO BE IN THIS POOF!

Last edited by Bender: 03-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

vCash: 500
Well we aren't getting Perry
Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Perry agrees to eight-year, $69 M deal with Anaheim; $8.625 M AAV

Old
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quick, make an offer for Bobby Ryan!!!

Half srs.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Avs were never getting Perry to begin with.

A bit surprised they gave him more than Getzlaf.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Even though Perry doesn't play C, I really wonder what this does for the Paul Stastny (potential) market?

Perry is one more player taken off of the market, and for teams wanting to make a PO run, they may make (in their eyes) a bold move to help "put them over the top".

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
03-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Avs were never getting Perry to begin with.

A bit surprised they gave him more than Getzlaf.
No he wasn't going to sign here, and I actually don't even care. Every time I see his face, or hear him talk he just seems like the biggest A hole in the world. Maybe he just doesn't come off very well in interviews, but it's just very hard to believe someone could come off like that big an A hole and not be one.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
No he wasn't going to sign here, and I actually don't even care. Every time I see his face, or hear him talk he just seems like the biggest A hole in the world. Maybe he just doesn't come off very well in interviews, but it's just very hard to believe someone could come off like that big an A hole and not be one.
Oh, it's not just his interviewing style, he IS a big a-hole, and plays like one. Kinda/sorta his M.O., he's almost like a forward version of Pronger. Horribly dirty player, but I have to admit, he's damn good. Avs would be fools not to at least inquire about his services if he ended up being available, but I'm glad they don't have to now.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Oh, it's not just his interviewing style, he IS a big a-hole, and plays like one. Kinda/sorta his M.O., he's almost like a forward version of Pronger. Horribly dirty player, but I have to admit, he's damn good. Avs would be fools not to at least inquire about his services if he ended up being available, but I'm glad they don't have to now.
Supremely talented, but if he actually is as big an A hole as he comes off as, that has to affect team chemistry. I can't wait for them to go into another long losing skid in the coming years.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
**** that, Perry is awesome. I would take him on this team in a heartbeat. We could use more guys that play with his edge and have his and Getzlaf's desire to win when it comes to big games.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
**** that, Perry is awesome. I would take him on this team in a heartbeat. We could use more guys that play with his edge and have his and Getzlaf's desire to win when it comes to big games.
Unfortunately I would too...but I definitely wouldn't get his jersey. Lemieux was also a man of questionable character, so I'd deal with it.

Plenty of NHL players who won championships were ********. Tom Barrasso, Eddie Belfour, and hey, Corey Perry all have their names on the Cup. Patrick Kane, Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter are little more than glorified frat boys off the ice, yet all three of them won rings too.

I think a deficit in character only comes into play when the player in question does little to contribute and much to disrupt...much like what we're seeing in Buffalo with Kaleta and certain players voicing their opinions that they're fine with him continuing to sit on account of his antics.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I don't know, I don't follow the Ducks too closely so I can't comment too much. There was a time where I thought he would be awesome on this team, despite the odds against it actually happening.

Then the more I kept paying attention to him, the more he seems like the kind of guy that would subtly bring down a room with his mood. He didn't actually get his game going again until they brought in the ultimate player's coach agains in Boudreau to stroke his ego. What happens when that stops working like in Washington?

I don't know, maybe I'm way off base, but the guy just seems like he's supremely talented and has all the physical tools but is a downer in every other aspect.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:31 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I don't know, I don't follow the Ducks too closely so I can't comment too much. There was a time where I thought he would be awesome on this team, despite the odds against it actually happening.

Then the more I kept paying attention to him, the more he seems like the kind of guy that would subtly bring down a room with his mood. He didn't actually get his game going again until they brought in the ultimate player's coach agains in Boudreau to stroke his ego. What happens when that stops working like in Washington?

I don't know, maybe I'm way off base, but the guy just seems like he's supremely talented and has all the physical tools but is a downer in every other aspect.
I'm not sure what you mean with that.. He did score 50 and won the Rocket the year before BB came in.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:56 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

We weren't going to get Perry anyway. Glad he stayed with the Ducks instead of going to a place like Toronto. On another note, the cap circumvention rules seem to be working like a charm. Cap hits are going to be going way up for 1st and 2nd liners.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think those two contracts will be semi-ugly in five years time but that's usually what happens when you have to pay for UFA years.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think those two contracts will be semi-ugly in five years time but that's usually what happens when you have to pay for UFA years.
IMO Perry more so than Getz. Getz plays a game where I think he can be productive into his mid 30s like a Thornton. I expect him to be close to a PPG when he is 33-34. I expect Perry to fall under the 30 goal mark by 32-33 and become just a 60 point player.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Next year, Malkin and Letang will become UFA. It will be a nightmare for the Pens because if Perry and Getzlaf are worth more than 8, Malkin will go for the moon. + Letang is playing like a Norris contender.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Next year, Malkin and Letang will become UFA. It will be a nightmare for the Pens because if Perry and Getzlaf are worth more than 8, Malkin will go for the moon. + Letang is playing like a Norris contender.
It'll be interesting to see how the new market works this summer. There are a bunch of RFAs that are bound for big raises.

Shatty, Pietrangelo and Kadri.

Not to mention Stewart and Gagner who took one year prove-it deals and are putting up big numbers. Good for the team. Bad for the accountants.

Blues are in real trouble because they have to re-sign Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo before off-season or they run a huge risk of being hit by offer sheets. Holmgren will probably give Pietrangelo $8M+ for 7 years if given the chance.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
And Pens also has Kunitz, Orpik and Niskanen as pending UFA at the same time.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:34 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
And Pens also has Kunitz, Orpik and Niskanen as pending UFA at the same time.
Orpik and Nisky could be replaced. Pens have best D prospect pool in NHL.

They gotta sign Kunitz or get another player like him. I don't see him getting big raise if at all though. Crosby mashes will with players like him.

They will be tight, that's for sure.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Just because I find it humorous I was mostly right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Sure, at 9mil per.
...I'll quote myself.

Wow is that an ugly pair of contracts Anaheim has to deal with. If that's the going rate for stars then god help this league. The salary cap cannot compensate at the rate contracts are climbing.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Just because I find it humorous I was mostly right...

...I'll quote myself.

Wow is that an ugly pair of contracts Anaheim has to deal with. If that's the going rate for stars then god help this league. The salary cap cannot compensate at the rate contracts are climbing.
And eventually it'll balance out. There won't be any teams to give a player $9m a year, and their prices will start to lower...but it may take time for that to happen.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
And eventually it'll balance out. There won't be any teams to give a player $9m a year, and their prices will start to lower...but it may take time for that to happen.
What you're not accounting for is that even if no one gets 9mil a year, the 1st line and 2nd line tier players just got a salary hike of around 1mil per year.

While Getzlaf and Perry are clearly more elite than star players... you're paying 7.5-8mil for a star player and 6.5-7.5 for a 1st liner/borderline star.

1st liners will be making 6-7mil on average.

2nd liners will be making 5mil on average very shortly, especially figuring in the Grabovski, O'Reilly signings.

Whether or not more elites come along to the UFA category in the near future... you're still going to be crippled for the next 1-2 years for the top 6 forwards in your lineup if they play hardball. Let alone free agency.

It won't be resolved until we start seeing 8mil return to being ~10% of the cap, which has always been the measurable 'norm' for your best player(s).

Old
03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Honestly, stars were getting paid big money anyways, but just had lower cap hits. All this means now is that depth players are going to have to take paycuts. The David Jones's of the world will have to take smaller contracts to get jobs on teams with any chance of winning (i.e. one with star players).

I think we're going to see a huge imbalance in salary & cap hits between the big guns and depth players compared to '06-'12.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Unfortunately I would too...but I definitely wouldn't get his jersey. Lemieux was also a man of questionable character, so I'd deal with it.

Plenty of NHL players who won championships were ********. Tom Barrasso, Eddie Belfour, and hey, Corey Perry all have their names on the Cup. Patrick Kane, Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter are little more than glorified frat boys off the ice, yet all three of them won rings too.

I think a deficit in character only comes into play when the player in question does little to contribute and much to disrupt...much like what we're seeing in Buffalo with Kaleta and certain players voicing their opinions that they're fine with him continuing to sit on account of his antics.
Exactly, you don't need to be a great person to be a great competitor and a successful athlete. I'm happy we had Lemieux on our team, and I would have been ecstatic to have a guy like Perry.

Quote:

I'm not certain I buy that, while he definitely is a dick on the ice I'm not sure there's much to suggest that he's a bad locker room guy. He and Getzlaf both seem to be enigmatic players with big ups and downs and while they weren't happy with Carlyle at the end, I don't think any organization would mind changing coaches if it wound up in a huge resurgence from their stars including a Hart/Richard win. Most coaches wear out their welcome eventually. Bottom line is that Perry wins everywhere he goes, much like a Toews or Crosby.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I'm not sure what you mean with that.. He did score 50 and won the Rocket the year before BB came in.
Hence the word, "again."

Closed Thread