HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Random Ducks facts from the 2003 playoffs

Old
03-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Mad Max

vCash: 500
Random Ducks facts from the 2003 playoffs

IMO, this was the best Stanley Cup playoff I have seen. But some facts regarding the Ducks' run I thought were pretty interesting:

-Of the Ducks 15 wins, 10 were in overtime or the final 5 minutes of the 3rd period

-The Ducks were undefeated in overtime, 7-0

-7 of their 15 wins were 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1

-The Ducks were 12-1 in 1 goal games(the only loss was a 2-1 loss to Dallas in game 3)

-The Ducks were the first team in NHL history to lose in the Finals in 7 games while being shut out in 3 of their 4 losses

-Giguere became the first goalie in NHL history to win his first 7 playoff overtime games

-Giguere set a postseason shutout streak record of 168:27, surpassing Patrick Roy by 5:31

-The Ducks were 11-1 when scoring first(the only loss in game 5 against the Devils)

-5 of the 7 games in the Finals were scoreless after the first period

-The Finals was only the 3rd time in NHL history(and the last) where the home team won every game

-The Ducks were outscored 15-3 on the road in the Finals, but outscored the Devils 9-4 in their 3 home wins

-J.S. Giguere became the 5th(and the last) player in NHL history to win Conn Smythe on the losing team

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
blamebettman*

It was ridiculous what Giguere was allowed to get away with regarding pads. Most of the time he just stood there I mean come on

also wild-ducks was perhaps the worst hockey ever played

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:07 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
IMO, this was the best Stanley Cup playoff I have seen.
Heh, you'll find that isn't exactly a common sentiment.

Here's a random fact: John Madden led the Stanley Cup champions in ice time by a forward.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Mad Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
It was ridiculous what Giguere was allowed to get away with regarding pads. Most of the time he just stood there I mean come on

also wild-ducks was perhaps the worst hockey ever played

The pads were measured and met the requirements. He never wore illegal pads.

As for the Ducks/Wild series, it was pretty terrible from the Wild's side. But in their defense, they were likely out of gas from overcoming back to back 3-1 deficits.

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Heh, you'll find that isn't exactly a common sentiment.

Here's a random fact: John Madden led the Stanley Cup champions in ice time by a forward.
well as an old grey beard I need to remind myself sometimes that many people on this board only have a clear recollection of under 10 cups.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Unsportsmanlike.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
blamebettman*

I understand the pads were within the NHL's requirements, but that just goes to show how dumb the league was. I mean what would constitute illegal to them back in 2003? A blimp parked in front of the net?

I have absolutely no reverence for Giguere

This is Kirk McLean from the 1994 finals, this is what a goalie should look like. His performance was much more impressive than Giguere's

Old
03-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Big Phil

I will say this about the 2003 playoffs. From a standpoint of looking back and being in awe of what Giguere accomplished you had to like it. However, from the standpoint of entertainment value the 2003 playoffs were a letdown. 2003 is one of those playoff years where a fan of the Ducks or the Devils might have enjoyed it but in general the neutral fan was a loser. Someone said Anaheim/Minnesota was the worst series ever. I second that. 2003 was not an exciting Cup final either. How a Cup final can go 7 games and be boring is strange, but it happened. There are a couple moments when Brodeur let the puck in from center ice and Kariya got flattened by Stevens that made it look like this was a memorable Cup final but it wasn't.

This isn't a knock on Giguere at all. He epitomized what it means to carry a team on your back. Kariya did not have a great playoff and I kept waiting for him to break out and do something but he underacheived immensely. In a 7 game Cup final a guy like Kariya could have been the difference between winning or losing, especially knowing the hot streak Giguere was on.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I will say this about the 2003 playoffs. From a standpoint of looking back and being in awe of what Giguere accomplished you had to like it. However, from the standpoint of entertainment value the 2003 playoffs were a letdown. 2003 is one of those playoff years where a fan of the Ducks or the Devils might have enjoyed it but in general the neutral fan was a loser. Someone said Anaheim/Minnesota was the worst series ever. I second that. 2003 was not an exciting Cup final either. How a Cup final can go 7 games and be boring is strange, but it happened. There are a couple moments when Brodeur let the puck in from center ice and Kariya got flattened by Stevens that made it look like this was a memorable Cup final but it wasn't.

This isn't a knock on Giguere at all. He epitomized what it means to carry a team on your back. Kariya did not have a great playoff and I kept waiting for him to break out and do something but he underacheived immensely. In a 7 game Cup final a guy like Kariya could have been the difference between winning or losing, especially knowing the hot streak Giguere was on.
essentially the teams traded snoozers. 3-0, 3-0...game 3 had some life with a 3-2 anaheim ot win. But game 4 was a 0-0 disaster that anaheim ended up winning in ot

games 6 and 7 had some scoring but neither were close. And game 7 was a dud

2001 was similar, but more of a disappointing because of the caliber of teams playing

You also had some big markets go out early in 2003. Philly played Toronto in round 1...so Toronto was gone and Philly never made it out of round 2. The Wings, Bruins and Avs were gone early. The Rangers didn't even make it. I think most of the hockey world had zoned out by the time the Conf Finals began. Wild-Ducks had no audience, and Ottawa-Devs probably had a meh audience despite being a solid series.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
essentially the teams traded snoozers. 3-0, 3-0...game 3 had some life with a 3-2 anaheim ot win. But game 4 was a 0-0 disaster that anaheim ended up winning in ot

games 6 and 7 had some scoring but neither were close. And game 7 was a dud

2001 was similar, but more of a disappointing because of the caliber of teams playing

You also had some big markets go out early in 2003. Philly played Toronto in round 1...so Toronto was gone and Philly never made it out of round 2. The Wings and Avs were gone early. I think most of the hockey world had zoned out by the time the Conf Finals began. Wild-Ducks had no audience, and Ottawa-Devs probably had a meh audience despite being a solid series.
This is not true. This article is from 2009:

Quote:
Mighty Ducks/Devils Game 7 in 2003 remains the highest rated Stanley Cup Final telecast since the league returned to broadcast television in ’95.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010...-numbers-game/

Ratings for games 1-6 were fairly low, but not really lower than typical.

Even as a Devils fan I can certainly see why people call the 2003 finals the most boring 7 game series ever, though. The only time either team could do anything with the puck was NJ when Scott Niedermayer was on the ice.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
This is not true. This article is from 2009:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010...-numbers-game/

Ratings for games 1-6 were fairly low, but not really lower than typical.

Even as a Devils fan I can certainly see why people call the 2003 finals the most boring 7 game series ever, though. The only time either team could do anything with the puck was NJ when Scott Niedermayer was on the ice.
The 2003 finals were the only finals in which I didnt watch every game since I started following the NHL.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
Quote:
I understand the pads were within the NHL's requirements, but that just goes to show how dumb the league was. I mean what would constitute illegal to them back in 2003? A blimp parked in front of the net?

I have absolutely no reverence for Giguere

This is Kirk McLean from the 1994 finals, this is what a goalie should look like. His performance was much more impressive than Giguere's
A goalie should look like he's watching a puck go into his net? McLean's great, but if he played today of course he'd wear the same size pads as everyone else. Would you lose your respect for him?

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I've never seen a team dominate for 200 feet of the ice surface while losing a series 4-0 like the Red Wings that year in the 1st round. Giguere in that round is the best single series performance by one player I've ever witnessed.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The pads were measured and met the requirements. He never wore illegal pads.
His chest protector and shoulder pads were what really looked ridiculous, not his pads.

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Stephen

I was actually thinking that the 2003 Stanley Cup playoffs might have been the worst in a lot of ways:

A Stanley Cup finals matchup between Anaheim and New Jersey wasn't exactly marquee.

Minnesota and Ottawa in the conference finals wasn't that nice either.

Detroit was knocked out in the first round. So was Toronto and Boston, so there was no Original Six marquee representation after the first round.

Of the teams that made it to the second round were Dallas, New Jersey, Minnesota, Anaheim were deadpuck era poster children.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
mco543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I've never seen a team dominate for 200 feet of the ice surface while losing a series 4-0 like the Red Wings that year in the 1st round. Giguere in that round is the best single series performance by one player I've ever witnessed.
I feel this way too. I've never in my life seen a performance by a player like Giguere's. I'm a neutral, I root for the Panthers and I loved that postseason and think it's one of the most memorable of the last 15 years solely for Giguere's performance.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
The most unlikely playoff run I've ever seen. This really should put to rest the theory that Babcock only looks good because of his current team.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote