Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnson and Engblom

Old
03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
jester24

vCash: 500
Johnson and Engblom

Is it only me or do our colour guys frustrate everyone. I mean, every time the refs call a suspect call against the Jets, they say "that's a penalty". I almost fell off my chair yesterday when Johnson said Elias tripped Kane with two minutes left and a penalty should have been called. I mean, you're supposed to be the Jets announce crew. I'm not listening for you to tow the NHL line in terms of the officiating. A little bias wouldn't kill them would it?

Nothing better than sitting at home and seeing it was a ****** call and then having your announce team say it was a good one. That's like being forced to eat feces and having someone tell us to say "Thank you sir, can I have another?"

Maybe it's just me but does this bother anyone else?

jester24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:40 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'd rather less bias then more.
The colour guys get a ton of flack around here, but complaining that they call the game as they see it rather than powder to the fans is stupid.
Perhaps you should watch the game with less bias.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
love Johnson and Engblom great to have them in the booth for us

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
it's too bad more teams werent this objective.

most broadcasts are homers that includes tsn national games with certain teams

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:51 PM
tbcwpg

Engblom did say that Elias should have been called for a penalty. Refs put their whistles away at the end of the game.

I like them generally, there are times that the Jets are horrible and they don't sugar coat it. Johnson I like unless the team is playing against Montreal. Then he loves Montreal at the expense of the team he's doing colour for. Only time I got frustrated with a commentator this season.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

I am in the middle on Mike Johnson, but that also goes for his way of analyzing while on TSN too, just not sure I am a big fan of him. He does a decent job though and provides good knowledge. Maybe it's just his personality, sometimes the way he comes across, or his style I'm not 100% sold on. Otherwise, I enjoy Engblom, Hnidy and Ferraro when he does our TSN games.

All in all, I really like our TSNJets crew, I feel pretty fortunate to have the people we do to do our Jets coverage, that goes for Dennis Beyak too. I really enjoy the coverage and broadcast TSNJets puts on.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Generally I like both those guys, but Engblom can try to oversell some of his points a bit...like last night when he went on and on about how he's not a fan of the one-timer on the powerplay and how it's overdone... seems to me like a lot of teams manage to use it pretty effectively

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:20 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester24 View Post
Is it only me or do our colour guys frustrate everyone. I mean, every time the refs call a suspect call against the Jets, they say "that's a penalty". I almost fell off my chair yesterday when Johnson said Elias tripped Kane with two minutes left and a penalty should have been called. I mean, you're supposed to be the Jets announce crew. I'm not listening for you to tow the NHL line in terms of the officiating. A little bias wouldn't kill them would it?

Nothing better than sitting at home and seeing it was a ****** call and then having your announce team say it was a good one. That's like being forced to eat feces and having someone tell us to say "Thank you sir, can I have another?"

Maybe it's just me but does this bother anyone else?
Yeah I personally have no clue what your talking about, they seem unbiased to me.Your complaint seems to be that they aren't biased towards the Jets. And Johnson didn't even do the game yesterday......

Last edited by cheswick: 03-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
Generally I like both those guys, but Engblom can try to oversell some of his points a bit...like last night when he went on and on about how he's not a fan of the one-timer on the powerplay and how it's overdone... seems to me like a lot of teams manage to use it pretty effectively
I think Engblom was bang on with that comment. He was talking specifically about our 5 on 3 (which we have yet to score on btw). The one timer from the point can be effective if its accurate, but 5 on 3 when you have space you can walk right in and take a more accurate shot.

I like Engblom's insights, but Johnson really annoys the hell out of me. I am a fan of the Jets and while I don't think it should be all rah rah, you have to understand your audience loves the team and lives and dies by it. You need to play that a bit.

03-01-2013, 03:39 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

The one call I loved by Johnson (as I don't really like his style) was on the Bogosian - Nodl hit - he almost lost his 'stuff' when that went down. First and only time he was a bit of a Jets homer.

In general, I like the TSN crew. Would rather have objective announcers than complete homers.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Engblom is the best part of the TSN broadcast. He has a great voice and is able to be detailed in the small amount of time he has between plays to illustrate his point. He reminds me of a guy who used to do broadcasts for TSN in the 90s by the last name of Greene? But I may be mistaken. I prefer him to Beyak because I'm not a fan of Beyak's nasally-pitched voice. Beyak calls a good game but sounds like he's speaking through his sinus cavity.

I also enjoy Johnson. Good voice and I like how he emphasizes/gets excited after a big play. He sounds like a buddy who is excitedly relaying what just happened in the game.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:07 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Engblom is the best part of the TSN broadcast. He has a great voice and is able to be detailed in the small amount of time he has between plays to illustrate his point. He reminds me of a guy who used to do broadcasts for TSN in the 90s by the last name of Greene? But I may be mistaken. I prefer him to Beyak because I'm not a fan of Beyak's nasally-pitched voice. Beyak calls a good game but sounds like he's speaking through his sinus cavity.

I also enjoy Johnson. Good voice and I like how he emphasizes/gets excited after a big play. He sounds like a buddy who is excitedly relaying what just happened in the game.
When TSN-Jets started, and before I listened to Engblom, I decided I didn't like him..

In my opinion, Engblom is an EXCELLENT analyst. He often points things out that many, many play-by-play and color guys would never.

It could also be that he knows we don't need to hear the obvious plays broken down, so he points out the finer details with what went right or wrong.

Impressed with his work.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

I really value non homerism since i watch a fair number of games on centre ice. Our TSN guys aren't perfect but they r pros who don't ruin games with rah rah rah. praise is genuine. Calling out very limited number of bad calls is good. I can't stand announcers who moan about too many calls. Its a welcomed report for it not to be like sitting at a minor hockey game when a dad rips a ref all the time for very penalty his kid takes. Constant ref bashing and home team flattery r reasons i watch a lot of centre ice games on mute.

Che vy Teemuchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Blue Shakehead

I really like both of them. The only exception is when Engblom is covering Florida games as he seems to have a huge ***** for Brian Campbell.

Love Beyak too. I used to get annoyed with Beyak's obsessions with weird stats (i.e., antropov is a plus 4 in back-to-back games where the other team scored first and we had the lead coming into the 2nd period, etc etc)....but I noticed that Gord Miller does that a lot too...

Blue Shakehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:30 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post
I really like both of them. The only exception is when Engblom is covering Florida games as he seems to have a huge ***** for Brian Campbell.

Love Beyak too. I used to get annoyed with Beyak's obsessions with weird stats (i.e., antropov is a plus 4 in back-to-back games where the other team scored first and we had the lead coming into the 2nd period, etc etc)....but I noticed that Gord Miller does that a lot too...
I heard he gets those stats from garrett9

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Blue Shakehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I heard he gets those stats from garrett9
Garret's stats are far more comprehensive and useful.

The only exception is when he says that shot blocking isn't necessarily a good thing when talking about 2011-12 Mark Stuart, but the opposite when we're talking about 2012-13 Ron Hainsey.

Blue Shakehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Ramsalot
Rergisterd Uhrser

vCash: 1150
Quote:

Eh, I don't mind his voice, I'd take Beyak's voice over any of the fourth stringers CBC gives us when we aren't playing other Canadian teams on HNIC. Text to speech voices would be more engaging.

Ramsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Roooski

vCash: 125
Engblom is one of the best color guys out there. He also does I believe Rangers and another teams games from time to time. Or he did last year at least.

I prefer not to have someone that is bias. It sickens me when I hear homers call the game from the fan perspective. Sure I like to hear good things said about the team I love but I want them to earn those comments not default into them because they pay the announcers bills.

Roooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

I like that they call it as they see it. They are both good, although Engblom is really good. They often have real insights that are worth listening to. Beyak I don't mind when he's actually describing the play - in fact, he's quite good - but the stats are just ridiculous. It's as though his entire appreciation for the sport is as a stats-generating machine. He never has anything to say about the quality of the game that we're watching, just stats about how it fits into some statistical pattern over the past X games.

Andy6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsalot View Post
Eh, I don't mind his voice, I'd take Beyak's voice over any of the fourth stringers CBC gives us when we aren't playing other Canadian teams on HNIC. Text to speech voices would be more engaging.
I agree. Helen Keller would be a more lively presence than Mark Lee.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester24 View Post
...Johnson and Engblom?
Johnson and Engblom are the macaronni and cheese of sportscasters. If you want boeuf flambais you need a sportscster who can scream a goal: "ET C'EST LA BUUUUUUTT"

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
I agree. Helen Keller would be a more lively presence than Mark Lee.
Mark Lee and Rod Black should to be restricted to only figure skating and checkers.Remember when CBC did CFL games with Lee announcing.Awful.

pondnorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:30 PM
KCjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge1979 View Post
Garret's stats are far more comprehensive and useful.

The only exception is when he says that shot blocking isn't necessarily a good thing when talking about 2011-12 Mark Stuart, but the opposite when we're talking about 2012-13 Ron Hainsey.

agree x100

KCjetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Can't stand his voice.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Critical Mass

I like both Engblom and Johnson. Beyak is well prepared and he's a fine broadcaster.

And while I'm not a huge fan of Beyak's style, I think the TSN Jets broadcast is much, much better than NBC's broadcasts where they dumb the game down for their audience.

You'd think CBC would be a little deeper on talent for play-by-play broadcasters. I think Scott Oake should have a bigger role than the sideline duty he's used for.

Critical Mass is offline   Reply With Quote