HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Nizzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
You're essentially telling me that debating the hypotheticals is pointless and to assume that the least likely scenario will happen all while totally ignoring our team's needs.

Filpulla while being a very solid player is more or less the type of skater we already have. Michalek is the type we need more of. If you trade #9 we have to go out and search for ANOTHER 30 goal guy. Filp is older and has a career high of 23 goals which is the only season he's ever gone above 20. He's not suddenly going to turn into the finisher we need.

Loosing Gonchar may be the straw that breaks the camel's back at this point. I really don't want to have Lundin or Benoit in his current role. His minutes are irreplaceable at this point.

Scoring 30 goals once isnt proven ..Injuries and lack of scoring or play making ability makes Michelak easy too give up

Loosing Karlsson was the straw ..

Flip is the better player hands down then having a injury riddled player and a player thats gone in 2 months

Old
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Every god damn day

Ben Bishop + 3rd for Jiri Tlusty

Old
03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
BankStreetParade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I think many will be unimpressed at the return Bishop gets. We paid a mid-second for him, and I think his value has hovered around the same, maybe a bit added. I will be happy with a higher second, or second + prospect, but this team needs scoring help so a guy who can contribute now is our likely asking price, which may seem steep to teams interested.
Bishop's NHL stats before Ottawa:

13GP 4W 5L 1OTL 2.86GAA 0.896SV%

Bishop's NHL stats with Ottawa:

17GP 7W 6L 2OTL 2.32GAA 0.924SV%

I would call his value considerably improved given his upward trajectory. His save percentage since his move to Ottawa is on par with that of a top 20 goaltender in the NHL.

Furthermore, all his statistics show year on year improvement in both GAA and SV%.

There's no question that his value has gone up. The only question that remains is if Ottawa wants to trade him or not.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Scoring 30 goals once isnt proven ..Injuries and lack of scoring or play making ability makes Michelak easy too give up

Loosing Karlsson was the straw ..

Flip is the better player hands down then having a injury riddled player and a player thats gone in 2 months
So scoring 66 pts once makes flip a proven pts producer? His career high prior to last year was 40pts, and he's currently on pace for the equivalent of a 43 pts season.

Michalek has hit 60 pts twice, and broken 50 pts 4 times. He's score >20 goals 5 times compared to Filppula's 1 time as well.

One of these guys is a proven producer. The other has done it once. If I'm giving up on Michalek I'll be waiting for something better than Flippula, no offence to him, and I'm certainly not throwing in Gonchar.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
BankStreetParade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
So scoring 66 pts once makes flip a proven pts producer? His career high prior to last year was 40pts, and he's currently on pace for the equivalent of a 43 pts season.

Michalek has hit 60 pts twice, and broken 50 pts 4 times. He's score >20 goals 5 times compared to Filppula's 1 time as well.

One of these guys is a proven producer. The other has done it once. If I'm giving up on Michalek I'll be waiting for something better than Flippula, no offence to him, and I'm certainly not throwing in Gonchar.
Thank God you interjected some common sense there. I don't know who in the world would think Filppula is a better player than Michalek.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankStreetParade View Post
Bishop's NHL stats before Ottawa:

13GP 4W 5L 1OTL 2.86GAA 0.896SV%

Bishop's NHL stats with Ottawa:

17GP 7W 6L 2OTL 2.32GAA 0.924SV%

I would call his value considerably improved given his upward trajectory. His save percentage since his move to Ottawa is on par with that of a top 20 goaltender in the NHL.

Furthermore, all his statistics show year on year improvement in both GAA and SV%.

There's no question that his value has gone up. The only question that remains is if Ottawa wants to trade him or not.
His value prior to moving to Ottawa had nothing to do with his performance in the NHL, so I'd say it's irrelevant.

edit: though I do see his value as having increased slightly for other reasons, specifically, he will be RFA vice UFA (ST Louis wasn't going to play him enough), and he has trans;lated success from the minors to the NHL (you did infer that)

Old
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I think many will be unimpressed at the return Bishop gets. We paid a mid-second for him, and I think his value has hovered around the same, maybe a bit added. I will be happy with a higher second, or second + prospect, but this team needs scoring help so a guy who can contribute now is our likely asking price, which may seem steep to teams interested.
He's probably upped his value since we traded for him. I'd expect a Lindback type return, maybe better if we time the trade right ie a team loses a #1 net minder midseason and is desperate for a real replacement.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
He's probably upped his value since we traded for him. I'd expect a Lindback type return, maybe better if we time the trade right ie a team loses a #1 net minder midseason and is desperate for a real replacement.
I'd be ecstatic with that type of return, but sad to see him leave.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
burf

Keep in mind that when we traded for Bishop, the blues were in a huge pickle, since he was due to be a group 6 UFA the following summer. It was basically trade him for whatever they could get or lose him for nothing.

In Ottawa's case, we have the luxury of at least 1 more year to wait for the right deal. And given his play, there's no way Murray could justify offloading him for anything less than a second+.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
derriko

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Anyone know anything about what Tampa Bay is doing with Tyler Johnson? Would love to pick him up. He's a bit small (no smaller than some on our team) but he's producing a ton in the AHL (two years in a row now).
I grew up playing against Tyler. Hes a good guy, and a definite late bloomer. I remember hearing he made the American WJC team and was shocked.

With that said, hes a poor mans Kyle Turris without the size. Really intelligent hockey player, good at everything, but I wouldn't be surprised if his career path was Corey Locke-ish. I very well could be wrong though as hes a much better skater than Corey.

He shouldn't cost much though as he was an undrafted free agent not too long ago, so I would pick him up for a 3rd-5th and give him a try out as our second center. Who knows, he might just stick and we got a top 6er for almost nothing.

Tampa does love their small guys though, but they might already have too many with St Louis and Conacher off the top of my head.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I grew up playing against Tyler. Hes a good guy, and a definite late bloomer. I remember hearing he made the American WJC team and was shocked.

With that said, hes a poor mans Kyle Turris without the size. Really intelligent hockey player, good at everything, but I wouldn't be surprised if his career path was Corey Locke-ish. I very well could be wrong though as hes a much better skater than Corey.

He shouldn't cost much though as he was an undrafted free agent not too long ago, so I would pick him up for a 3rd-5th and give him a try out as our second center. Who knows, he might just stick and we got a top 6er for almost nothing.

Tampa does love their small guys though, but they might already have too many with St Louis and Conacher off the top of my head.
Hum I just think it's hard to ignore that he developed so well in the WHL, and then continued that development in the AHL. He's got 123 points in 131 AHL games with 60 goals...he's only 22 that's pretty impressive. If he has good enough skating to play at the NHL level I don't see why someone wouldn't give him a chance up here. I'd really like to see what he could do on this team right now -- we could use the infusion of offence. I realize that we have a bunch of guys that are near point per game in the AHL that haven't done much of late, but what little I've seen of him makes me think he could succeed in a big way at this level.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:14 PM
arglebargle

Apparently Keith Ballard is now available, and given his performance and cap hit in Vancouver, could probably had quite cheaply.

He's due $4.2 million for two more years, which is very doable with the Sens current cap situation. I'm guessing he could be had for a late round draft pick, possibly even one in 2014. If I were Murray I'd pull the trigger here.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Apparently Keith Ballard is now available, and given his performance and cap hit in Vancouver, could probably had quite cheaply.

He's due $4.2 million for two more years, which is very doable with the Sens current cap situation. I'm guessing he could be had for a late round draft pick, possibly even one in 2014. If I were Murray I'd pull the trigger here.
For sure Murray might do it, but the Euge most certainly would not!

Old
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Nizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post

What has Michalek done without a Spezza Thornton..he is one trick pony with 2 restructured wheels

Flippula is better then Michalek ..Anyways no deal would happen anyways

Old
03-04-2013, 03:39 PM
arglebargle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
For sure Murray might do it, but the Euge most certainly would not!
If Melnyk was fine the Kovalev and Gonchar contracts I don't know why he'd veto the acquisition of Ballard.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
What has Michalek done without a Spezza Thornton..he is one trick pony with 2 restructured wheels

A one trick pony?
He's a 6'2" 225lb speedster who grinds it out and gets to the front of the net, and isnt afraid to be chippy.
He was the 6th leading goal scorer in the NHL last year.
He's either had or been on pace for 25+ goals almost every year he's been in the NHL after he was drafted 6th or 8th overall.
He's hit 60pts twice and im not even sure how much he played with Thornton in SJ.

MM is one of those guys that would put up roughly the same production whatever line he's on, id argue that its a bit of a waste playing him with Spezza/Thornton as its not really his style of game.

Filpula is not better than Michalek and no one is taking Filpula over a healthy Michalek. nobody.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:

And what's Filppula done without Zetterberg? Oh right, a 40 point season. Grass is always greener I guess.

Should we trade Michalek for Foligno? He put up 49 pts without Spezza.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
A one trick pony?
He's a 6'2" 225lb speedster who grinds it out and gets to the front of the net, and isnt afraid to be chippy.
He's either had or been on pace for 25+ goals almost every year he's been in the NHL after he was drafted 6th or 8th overall.
He's hit 60pts twice and im not even sure how much he played with Thornton in SJ.

MM is one of those guys that would put up roughly the same production whatever line he's on, id argue that its a bit of a waste playing him with Spezza/Thornton as its not really his style of game.

Filpula is not better than Michalek and no one is taking Filpula over a healthy Michalek. nobody.
in addition he also killed penalties.

i'd like to hear exactly in what way is filpula better than michalek. bonus points if you don't mention michalek's knees.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
If Melnyk was fine the Kovalev and Gonchar contracts I don't know why he'd veto the acquisition of Ballard.
Apples and Oranges. Those contracts were awarded prior to his self imposed budget. Melnyk set placed the team on a set budget starting last season, after the sell off of our older players at the deadline in 2011.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Melnyk JUST came out when EK was injured and said money was no issue...

Old
03-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Nizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
A one trick pony?

Healthy thats the question .. He has undergone three major knee reconstructions for ACL damage.With a infection that led to a doctor in the Czech Republic suggesting amputation.. All three surgeries were to Michalek's right knee. The injury 2010 he had major ACL damage on left knee ..Now he is out again with "tweek" too left knee ..

Why are we keeping this guy if he has value trade him ..

Old
03-04-2013, 04:21 PM
BondraTime

Quote:
Healthy thats the question .. He has undergone three major knee reconstructions for ACL damage.With a infection that led to a doctor in the Czech Republic suggesting amputation.. All three surgeries were to Michalek's right knee. The injury 2010 he had major ACL damage on left knee ..Now he is out again with "tweek" too left knee ..

Because he is our only proven scoring winger who isn't 40.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
arglebargle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
Apples and Oranges. Those contracts were awarded prior to his self imposed budget. Melnyk set placed the team on a set budget starting last season, after the sell off of our older players at the deadline in 2011.
On what do you base this? I got the sense that they were trying to offload higher paid players and rebuild since that particular collection of highly paid players weren't doing the job. I don't remember anyone saying anything about permanently shrinking the payroll.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
God Says No

Quote:

if we do trade him, i hope it's for someone a lot better than filpula. no offense to filpula he's a nice player, but i'm thinking big.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
On what do you base this? I got the sense that they were trying to offload higher paid players and rebuild since that particular collection of highly paid players weren't doing the job. I don't remember anyone saying anything about permanently shrinking the payroll.
i think there are some mixed signals from the team on this subject.
happy ebullient Melnyk chases Rick Nash, while hungover going through a divorce and costly business settlemetns Melnyk has suggested that we are not and will not be a cap team, and seems to be looking to shed big salaries ie. gonchars despite us practically requiring said salary to hit the cap floor.

i can totally see how this is not clear at all.

Closed Thread