HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Toronto and St. Louis Talking Trade? Kulemin Involved?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 08:57 PM
  #351
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
I don't know, lol.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:41 AM
  #352
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I'm saying we shouldn't be making deals to "fit" with our centers now specifically when we know we need to upgrade them. That's backwards.
It's not a matter of fitting with our centres, it's a matter of fitting with our team. Nikolai Kulemin is one of our top 2 shutdown wingers. Chris Stewart would be comparable to our 4th and 5th non-shutdown wingers. None of Kessel, JvR, Lupul, Frattin, or MacArthur are guys you want on a shutdown line. There's no point adding Chris Stewart to the group at the cost of a guy who excels on a shutdown line.

As for fitting with our centres, these are the cards we're dealt. We build around them until upgrades become available.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:56 AM
  #353
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Man Cave
Country: United States
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
If the Leafs need D, the Blues will give you a good deal on Redden and/or Russell
Classic!

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:32 AM
  #354
Ambassador Bridge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Classic!

Nice avatar.................can you make one with the Leafs logo?

Ambassador Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:40 AM
  #355
Just One Cup
Registered User
 
Just One Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
It's not a matter of fitting with our centres, it's a matter of fitting with our team. Nikolai Kulemin is one of our top 2 shutdown wingers. Chris Stewart would be comparable to our 4th and 5th non-shutdown wingers. None of Kessel, JvR, Lupul, Frattin, or MacArthur are guys you want on a shutdown line. There's no point adding Chris Stewart to the group at the cost of a guy who excels on a shutdown line.

As for fitting with our centres, these are the cards we're dealt. We build around them until upgrades become available.
I'm not really interested in Kulemin but if Stewart came was traded for him you think he would be your 4th or 5th best scoring forward? I'm curious to who you would have above him as I was thinking he would be playing on your 2nd line and probably put up some decent pts.

Just One Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:20 AM
  #356
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
I'm not really interested in Kulemin but if Stewart came was traded for him you think he would be your 4th or 5th best scoring forward? I'm curious to who you would have above him as I was thinking he would be playing on your 2nd line and probably put up some decent pts.
That right there, that proves how much you know about Kulemin.

The guy is an absolute tank and great defensively. I think what Kulemin needs to realize is that he's going to get his goals when he goes to the net. Once that clicks, he'll likely be good for 20-30 goals, easy. For now, he's taking shots from the perimeter or dishing it off. Physically, there is no reason why he can't hit 30 goals again. The odd thing with Kulemin is that he's playing top notch without the puck, both defensively and on the forecheck. He also has the tools/skills to put up points. The kid will bounce back and be a 55-65 point forward for a team.

Having followed both Kulemin and Stewart, the value is there for a swap.

Give or take a 2nd round pick.


McMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:23 AM
  #357
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto/Fredericton
Country: India
Posts: 73,906
vCash: 500
I'd be very interested in some of the players the blues have. No not stewart, I like my players having strong drive.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:25 AM
  #358
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I'd be very interested in some of the players the blues have. No not stewart, I like my players having strong drive.
Same here. I wouldnt have a ton of interest in Stewart. And the guys I do have interest in would probably cost too much.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:26 AM
  #359
naturalnumbas
Registered User
 
naturalnumbas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Probably a minor trade if anything.

If the blues want Kulemin and Leafs are willing to trade, probably wouldn't take much at this point. I like the guy but he had a bad year last year and not looking like anything special this year. Factor in his contract...

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:47 AM
  #360
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,139
vCash: 500
For the record, Andy Strickland called the Lee Stempniak to Toronto trade before anybody else.

McMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:14 AM
  #361
BBLeafsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burlington
Country: Canada
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
I would say his scoring has suffered the last few years but calling his overall play bad for the last few years is incorrect. I really see no reason to move him. We're fine on scoring right now and need all around players to with a scoring threat for our defensive game. The only reason I'd move Kuli would be for a position of need and likely only as a package.


Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
Probably a minor trade if anything.

If the blues want Kulemin and Leafs are willing to trade, probably wouldn't take much at this point. I like the guy but he had a bad year last year and not looking like anything special this year. Factor in his contract...

BBLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:20 AM
  #362
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
For the record, Andy Strickland called the Lee Stempniak to Toronto trade before anybody else.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:49 AM
  #363
jmwc95
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Forget Stewart, I hear it is Perron who is in the doghouse for his overhandling of the puck and selfish play. I have heard people in the lockerroom are pissed at him and he just got dropped off Backes' line. Schwartz was put on the wing in his place and lo and behold, that line had 2 goals last game. If anyone from the Blues is traded in a deal to shake up the team, it will be Perron. I think the Blues would be targeting Gardiner. I am sure the other pieces involved would be what makes or breaks the deal, as well as the health of our forwards, 3 of which we have lost to injury in the past 10 days (Tarasenko, McDonald, and Steen).

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:05 AM
  #364
The Brewmeister
#Winning.
 
The Brewmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Hammer
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
Forget Stewart, I hear it is Perron who is in the doghouse for his overhandling of the puck and selfish play. I have heard people in the lockerroom are pissed at him and he just got dropped off Backes' line. Schwartz was put on the wing in his place and lo and behold, that line had 2 goals last game. If anyone from the Blues is traded in a deal to shake up the team, it will be Perron. I think the Blues would be targeting Gardiner. I am sure the other pieces involved would be what makes or breaks the deal, as well as the health of our forwards, 3 of which we have lost to injury in the past 10 days (Tarasenko, McDonald, and Steen).


Seems legit

The Brewmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:08 AM
  #365
Just One Cup
Registered User
 
Just One Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
That right there, that proves how much you know about Kulemin.

The guy is an absolute tank and great defensively. I think what Kulemin needs to realize is that he's going to get his goals when he goes to the net. Once that clicks, he'll likely be good for 20-30 goals, easy. For now, he's taking shots from the perimeter or dishing it off. Physically, there is no reason why he can't hit 30 goals again. The odd thing with Kulemin is that he's playing top notch without the puck, both defensively and on the forecheck. He also has the tools/skills to put up points. The kid will bounce back and be a 55-65 point forward for a team.

Having followed both Kulemin and Stewart, the value is there for a swap.

Give or take a 2nd round pick.

Because I say I'm not interested in Kulemin means I don't know about him? I'm soo sorry I dont think swapping Stewart( creating more offense now and in the past) for Kulemin ( better defensively) is going to benefit my team who has more two way forwards than scoring ones. What was I thinking Stewart plus 4 1st and Petro it is....


Ohh yeah <---- I can do it too

Just One Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
  #366
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,610
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
Probably a minor trade if anything.

If the blues want Kulemin and Leafs are willing to trade, probably wouldn't take much at this point. I like the guy but he had a bad year last year and not looking like anything special this year. Factor in his contract...
2.8M for a great defensive player that has been contributing offensively? How is that a bad contract?

We don't need him to be PPG. Kulemin isn't going to be traded for picks.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
  #367
Sundinisagod
Sniper
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
Probably a minor trade if anything.

If the blues want Kulemin and Leafs are willing to trade, probably wouldn't take much at this point. I like the guy but he had a bad year last year and not looking like anything special this year. Factor in his contract...
Yeah his value is probably too low right now for the Leafs to bother trading him.

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
  #368
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,610
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I'd be very interested in some of the players the blues have. No not stewart, I like my players having strong drive.
Yep, I'd be interest in a ton of players on the Blues, Stewart isn't one of them.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:16 AM
  #369
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
Forget Stewart, I hear it is Perron who is in the doghouse for his overhandling of the puck and selfish play. I have heard people in the lockerroom are pissed at him and he just got dropped off Backes' line. Schwartz was put on the wing in his place and lo and behold, that line had 2 goals last game. If anyone from the Blues is traded in a deal to shake up the team, it will be Perron. I think the Blues would be targeting Gardiner. I am sure the other pieces involved would be what makes or breaks the deal, as well as the health of our forwards, 3 of which we have lost to injury in the past 10 days (Tarasenko, McDonald, and Steen).
Although Perron might be in the doghouse currently and could be in line for a shake up trade, Im not sure that's what the Blues are looking at with their interest in Kulemin.

With their injuries up front it makes little sense for them to move a forward for a forward. So having said that, adding Kulemin would mean one of two things. Either they move an NHL defenseman or pick/prospect. I'll still go with the latter. The Blues arent going to want to move a Cole and honestly, the Leafs arent in a position to add another D as we speak unless it's a much larger one.

So that leaves us with a prospect or pick for Kulemin.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:31 AM
  #370
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,010
vCash: 500
Not to derail this thread with some sanity, but could some Toronto fans tell me how Mark Fraser's actual defense has been this year?

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:36 AM
  #371
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Not to derail this thread with some sanity, but could some Toronto fans tell me how Mark Fraser's actual defense has been this year?
He's been really solid with Franson.

They've probably been our most reliable pairing, although they do play sheltered minutes compared to Phaneuf.

Fraser and Franson both have great first passes as well, which led to a couple of our goals vs the Islanders.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #372
TMLife
Auston Matthews
 
TMLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
Why would we trade kule? If anything we need about 3 more of him

TMLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:42 AM
  #373
JB Maple Leafs
Registered User
 
JB Maple Leafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Not to derail this thread with some sanity, but could some Toronto fans tell me how Mark Fraser's actual defense has been this year?
He has been excellent. Makes very safe plays. Plays tough and clears the front of the net and has fought when needed to as well to protect his teammates. That and he has been at the top of the team (and league) in plus minus all year as well.

JB Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:47 AM
  #374
080
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Do you realize the role that Kulemin plays on this team??

Have you realized who the Leafs other wingers are??

Kessel, Lupul, JvR, Frattin, MacArthur.... none of those guys belong on a shutdown line. Kulemin fits the role perfectly. We aren't and shouldn't be looking to convert a shutdown line player into another offensive one. All they would do is underachieve, similar to how Kulemin is performing offensively. We've gotta be looking to make same-position/role upgrades (i.e. MacArthur-for-Stewart, Holzer-for-a-better shutdown guy), add to the top of our lineup, or stand pat.
I agree. Kulemin is a guy you can slot-in anywhere: alongside the top line, on the second line, on a shutdown line. He can do whatever we want. He's the kind of guy you keep around unless you get an offer that you can't really refuse. Kulemin plays hard each night and we need more of that. From what I've read, Stewart seems to frequently take nights off -- we already have Kessel fulfilling that role on our team. We don't need two guys doing it.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:48 AM
  #375
TheCLAM
Registered User
 
TheCLAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Not to derail this thread with some sanity, but could some Toronto fans tell me how Mark Fraser's actual defense has been this year?
He's has been one of if not our best defensive player this year. While he's not a top four pairing defensemen, he is a perfect #5/6 guy. He has been given sheltered minutes but has consistently came to play this year. Fraser offers the Leafs a physical, big-bodied defensemen who makes a good first pass and can play big PK minutes.

You can see both outlet passes on Kadri's 1st/2nd goal by Fraser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZ4i8IcFjk

TheCLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.