HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Anyone want to take a new crack at the top 10 prospects?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 06:04 PM
thecanucker

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thecanucker
1. Ryan Kesler
2. Kirill Koltsov
3. Tomas Mojzis
4. Alex Auld
5. R.J. Umberger
6. Brandon Reid
7. Jason King
8. Tyler Bouck
9. Fedorov
10. Rene Vydareny

Old
09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
C'nuckleHead

1 - Alex Auld
2 - Brandon Reid
3 - Ryan Kesler
4 - Jason King
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Tomas Mojzis
7 - Fedor Fedorov
8 - Rene Vydareny
9 - Kirill Koltsov

Old
09-24-2003, 07:54 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'nuckleHead
1 - Alex Auld
2 - Brandon Reid
3 - Ryan Kesler
4 - Jason King
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Tomas Mojzis
7 - Fedor Fedorov
8 - Rene Vydareny
9 - Kirill Koltsov
Riiiight...and I guess Umberger is #17?

Old
09-24-2003, 08:44 PM
iceburg

In generating this list I realized that I weight upside potential more heavily than "closeness" to the NHL. It also struck me that there may not be a future top six forward in the group (Umberger probably has the most potential to be a top six NHL forward followed by Kesler)

1 - Kirill Koltsov - most upside but a long way off
2 - Ryan Kesler
3 - RJ Umberger
4 - Tomas Mojzis
5 - Alex Auld
6 - Brandon Reid - closest to NHL but limited upside
7 - Jason King
8 - Tyler Bouck - close to NHL but no better than a 3/4 line defensive
9 - Fedor Federov
10 - Mikko Jokela
honorable mention - Nathan Smith

Old
09-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Aerolanche

01 - Brandon Reid - Reid is the closest to making it to the big club and is still young with good potential.
02 - Ryan Kesler - May make the big club next year. Better potential and age than Reid though.
03 - Kirill Koltsov - Kirill's potential is through the roof, but as mentioned, he is far from his potential at present time.
04 - Alex Auld - In my opinion, Auld will be the future of goaltending for the Canucks. He is young, big, quick, and has a good all-around system.
05 - Tomas Mojzis - Future quarterback on the powerplay. Can't wait to see a powerplay with Jovanovski, Koltsov and Mojzis.
06 - RJ Umberger - RJ has size and skill, that ain't bad.
07 - Fedor Fedorov - Stupidest name ever, heh, but I have a really good feeling that Fedor will be good.
08 - Jason King - King will be a good sniper when he matures.
09 - Tyler Bouck - As mentioned, another Matt Cooke in the making with better size.
10 - Mikko Yokela - Trading Stevey Kariya for Mikko Jokela all-of-a-sudden looks pretty good. Yokela has looked strong sofar this preseason.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Tom.H

I really don't want to say what my prospect rankings are at this time.
But to me, based on potential alone, Fedorov has to be number one.
However, because of his bad attitute at the moment, I wouldn't put him in the top 10.
WAKE UP FEDOR!!!

Old
09-25-2003, 06:23 AM
C'nuckleHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Riiiight...and I guess Umberger is #17?
Unless you know something I don't, RJ isn't a Canuck yet.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz
7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid

Reid behing all of them? you crazy...he actually played in the NHL before, in the playoffs, he has more potential than 3 out of 5 guys there, hes not very old, and hes the closest player in the canuck organization prospect wise to make the NHL!
1 - Ryan Kesler
2 - Tomas Mojzis
3 - Alex Auld
4 - Kirill Koltsov
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Jason King
7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid

No, not crazy. Hey. I am a fan of Reid's, but I'm looking at our depth chart & I don't see an opening for Reid & the skills he brings to a team in the same way as I see potential openings, combined with talent levels, for the prospects I listed above him. I don't see Reid being an effective player unless he is on the top two scoring lines. I don't consider short call ups to see how he plays as making the NHL either. I think the Canucks will let Reid play on the Moose rather than have him sit in Vancouver & unfortunately for Reid, there are many more prospects than normal coming up behind him so he may be unfortunately passed by just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I hope I'm wrong, but I see King's or Umberger's scoring skills more interesting to the team than Reid's speed & playmaking skill. I see Kesler's, Bouck's & Smith's agressive, defensive play placing them ahead of Reid inorder to make the 3rd or 4th lines. Auld won't make the team this year, but he's still much more likely to be an NHL regular than Reid by the way he's playing & developing so far. Koltsev, as a defenseman, has the same potential & upside as Auld. Jokela is in my opinion NHL ready for a regular #6D possition right now & the skating & upside of Vydareny & Mozjis makes me drool. Reid has NHL level skill & he has NHL level speed, but his size & weight works against him if there is any bigger prospect around that the team is also keen on. Right now Reid is in a similar situatioin that Kariya was in. What he has to do is body build himself up to get to have similar weight & muscles like Ronning or Fleury have, combined with an exceptional year on the Moose. Small players can make the NHL provided they have the body & muscles not to be shoved off the puck, but they also have to prove it constantly.

As another poster commented, this number of good prospects who are not automaticly making the Canucks roster is a good sign as to how deep & balanced the Canucks are. Very similar to the Devils & their farm team's depth.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:54 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'nuckleHead
Unless you know something I don't, RJ isn't a Canuck yet.
Wrong! he can still be considered one of the prospects.

Closed Thread