HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just saw Dov Grummet-Morris play: Thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
User571

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to User571
Just saw Dov Grummet-Morris play: Thoughts

1.) This guy is ridiculously underrated. He has the best Save Percentage of all the D1 goalies. (941)

2.) He's pretty quick. His butterfly drop is extremely quick-won't get beat 5-hole much. Only real flaw there was that his b-fly isn't very wide.

3.) He has got very good taste in equipment
He's got all crimson gear.

This guy could tun out well

He is believed by most to be the best goalie Harvard has ever had.

Old
01-30-2005, 08:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1932
I've left some comments regarding his play on other posts. He certainly is quick. I watched the game against Yale last night. The color commentator mentioned that in his opinion Grumet-Morris is the most underrated goalie in the NCAA's and on a short list of star goalies. It will be interesting to see how he plays as a senior in the FleetCenter next week in the Beanpot Tourney. Harvard is ranked (11th in the nation at last look) and if they beat Northeastern in Game One (Monday 2/7 in the first game), they would then play the Boston University-Boston College winner (BC is tops in the NCAA right now) for the Beanpot crown. Here is his bio if you care:

http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/s...ris_dov00.html

Old
01-31-2005, 03:43 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

While I agree that Grumet-Morris is underrated, he can also be streaky. I've watched this guy since his first year at Harvard. I've seen him on nights where he was just unbelievable and other nights where he couldn't stop a puck if his life depended on it. If he can be consistent...and I mean put together a nice string of some very good performances (and I don't mean just wins here either), he would probably get more notice (and accolades).

Old
01-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I love his name it's awesome.

Old
01-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
While I agree that Grumet-Morris is underrated, he can also be streaky. I've watched this guy since his first year at Harvard. I've seen him on nights where he was just unbelievable and other nights where he couldn't stop a puck if his life depended on it. If he can be consistent...and I mean put together a nice string of some very good performances (and I don't mean just wins here either), he would probably get more notice (and accolades).

Sounds alot like Boucher - quick and streaky.
I still would like to see him stay in the organization but the logjam of young goalies that have not seperated themselves could be a problem -

Rej seems to have the upper hand but this list is open for debate:

Tremblay, Grumet-Morris, Bruckler, and Houle are all legit prospects albiet a long ways off and no sure thing. It will be interesting to see who the FLyers keep v. let go.

Old
02-04-2005, 10:36 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I don't know how many of you have access to New England Sports Network (NESN) but Dov Grumet-Morris and Harvard will be on Monday (Feb. 7, 5:00 pm) in the Beanpot Tournament.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/pr...collegehockey/

Old
02-06-2005, 04:40 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here is a story from Sunday's Boston Herald about Grumet-Morris:

http://sports.bostonherald.com/colle...rticleid=67145

Old
02-07-2005, 01:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here is a far more informative piece from today's Boston Globe with quotes from Homer:

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...dy_at_harvard/

Old
02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
great read! thanks MiamiScreamingEagles!

you know, the Flyers drafted a great, but raw talented kid and he has now developed into a serious prospect. I think that credit has to go to both sides here. this kid has worked really hard and now it seems to be paying off.

my question is, with Niittymaki with the Phantoms and behind Esche'r on the depth chart...where does he go after college? I am guessing backup for the Phantoms?

Old
02-07-2005, 07:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

[QUOTE=FlyersGuy69]great read! thanks MiamiScreamingEagles!

you know, the Flyers drafted a great, but raw talented kid and he has now developed into a serious prospect. I think that credit has to go to both sides here. this kid has worked really hard and now it seems to be paying off.

my question is, with Niittymaki with the Phantoms and behind Esche'r on the depth chart...where does he go after college? I am guessing backup for the Phantoms?[/QUOTE]

I think it is anyone's guess at this point. It is a nice position to be in, however. As far as this game, Harvard lost to Northeastern 2-1 in double OT. Good play by both teams for the most part, like a chess match. A player for Harvard tried to draw a penalty and stayed on the ice, bad choice, in his own zone. Meanwhile, NE moved the puck around and caught Harvard "shorthanded" for the game winner.

DGM is a strong positional goalie and very quick, very athletic.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-08-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old
02-07-2005, 08:44 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
I think it is anyone's guess at this point. It is a nice position to be in, however. As far as this game, Harvard lost to Northeastern 2-1 in double OT. Good play by both teams for the most part, like a chess match. A player for Harvard tried to draw a penalty and stayed on the ice, bad choice, in his own zone. Meanwhile, NE moved the puck around and caught Harvard "shorthanded" for the game winner.

DGM is a strong positional goalie and very quick, very athletic.
yeah, I just saw the highlights on espn news. it was a nice snapper in the top corner of the net...just a little far out though.

Old
02-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Nuclear

Any chance he could play for the ECHL Trenton Titans next season? They are the Flyer's ECHL team.

Old
02-08-2005, 12:16 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
yeah, I just saw the highlights on espn news. it was a nice snapper in the top corner of the net...just a little far out though.

Here is a game story:

http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/02/07_009877.php

The writer used "sensational" to describe DGM's play. He was very steady, as was Northeastern's goalie Keni Gibson whose father tended goal on Bobby Orr's (and Wayne Cashman's) Oshawa Generals' team back in the 60's.

Old
02-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Here is a game story:

http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/02/07_009877.php

The writer used "sensational" to describe DGM's play. He was very steady, as was Northeastern's goalie Keni Gibson whose father tended goal on Bobby Orr's (and Wayne Cashman's) Oshawa Generals' team back in the 60's.
Yeah, Grumet-Morris looked very good for Harvard, although I thought he was outplayed by Keni Gibson (biased NU fan speaking here, of course). Then again, for NU to ever win, Gibson has to play lights out. They're not an offensive powerhouse, and their PP is generally dreadful...they like to not move the puck around quickly or crisply, and stand around and wait for the defense to pressure them into some sort of mistake. Can you tell I've been following them for 9 years now and am frustrated by still seeing the same mistakes made? How Bruce Crowder has retained his job at NU is beyond me...

Anyway, DGM looked good, and he did have some nice stops. I thought he didn't have much of a chance on Judy's game-winner. Lots of traffic in front (I counted at least 4 players drifting through the slot while Judy was getting ready to shoot), and I don't think he ever had a good view of the puck. A promising player, I think, and one who should be given a shot with the Titans.

Old
02-08-2005, 10:03 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Yeah, Grumet-Morris looked very good for Harvard, although I thought he was outplayed by Keni Gibson (biased NU fan speaking here, of course). Then again, for NU to ever win, Gibson has to play lights out. They're not an offensive powerhouse, and their PP is generally dreadful...they like to not move the puck around quickly or crisply, and stand around and wait for the defense to pressure them into some sort of mistake. Can you tell I've been following them for 9 years now and am frustrated by still seeing the same mistakes made? How Bruce Crowder has retained his job at NU is beyond me...

Anyway, DGM looked good, and he did have some nice stops. I thought he didn't have much of a chance on Judy's game-winner. Lots of traffic in front (I counted at least 4 players drifting through the slot while Judy was getting ready to shoot), and I don't think he ever had a good view of the puck. A promising player, I think, and one who should be given a shot with the Titans.
No doubt, G. Gibson was very strong. I thought both goalies were steady and excellent and played their positions like artists. Nothing flashy -- not many highlight-type saves, IMHO. What struck me about NU was their penalty kill. That won the game for them, in addition to Gibson. Some point, late second period, I had that vibe that NU was going to win.

Old
02-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
No doubt, G. Gibson was very strong. I thought both goalies were steady and excellent and played their positions like artists. Nothing flashy -- not many highlight-type saves, IMHO. What struck me about NU was their penalty kill. That won the game for them, in addition to Gibson. Some point, late second period, I had that vibe that NU was going to win.
That makes one of us, then. That's probably just the usual NU jitters I get as a long time fan. The team that can beat the #1 team one night, and lose to Merrimack (the 9th place team in the 9 team conference) the next. And the PK was solid last night...that was a nice thing to see. Now, if they could just get their offense going, I'd be a much happier camper.

And yes, DGM was not flashy, just solid. Pretty good positionally I thought, and showed some quickness. Neither goal was bad that he gave up...the Morris shot got deflected by someone/thing before reaching him, which is always tought. And like I said, Judy's shot was screened.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:52 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

DGM had a 32-save shutout (2/11/05) against RPI.

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20050...e=rpi&gender=m

Old
02-12-2005, 01:13 AM
FlyersGuy69

is Harvard a real good team? because they seem to give up alot of shots against. DGM faced 32 shots were the goalie for Rensselaer only faced 13.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:46 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
is Harvard a real good team? because they seem to give up alot of shots against. DGM faced 32 shots were the goalie for Rensselaer only faced 13.
Harvard began the week 10th in the nation. RPI is a below .500 team. RPI also had 7 PPs in the game so I am sure that helped to elevate their shot total.

Old
02-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Nuclear

http://www.uscho.com/stats/

Grumet-Morris is 1st in the NCAA in SV%, and 3rd in GAA

Old
02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Another shutout for Grumet-Morris (5th round/161st 2002) tonight (2/18/05). He tied the Harvard record for most career shutouts. Game story:

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20042005/m/02/18/ckn-hu.php

And Bernd Bruckler (5th round/150th 2001) and Wisconsin handled third ranked Colorado College 5-1 tonight, too:

http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20050...me=uw&gender=m

Game story with many kudos to BB:

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20042005/m/02/18/cc-uw.php

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-19-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old
02-22-2005, 08:02 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Dov Grumet-Morris notched a record-setting shutout tonight. Here is a recap:

http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/s...022205aab.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-22-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old
02-28-2005, 12:48 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

If anyone is interested, you can help choose the Hobey Baker winner (top men's college player) by registering and voting at:

http://www.hobeybaker.com/vote/guest_new.php

Dov Grumet-Morris is listed and eventually a final 10 list is posted for consideration. Bernd Bruckler and Ryan Potulny are also listed among many players. Voting is allowed on a daily basis.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-28-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old
03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Harvard shutout St. Lawrence 2-0 to open their best of three series tonight. Another Dov Grumet-Morris shutout. Harvard was outshot 33-16 according to USCHO.com. Nice!

Here is a game summary:

http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/s...031105aaa.html

This is from the Harvard's sports web site (Dov for Hobey):

http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/s...dov-index.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-11-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old
03-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I find it peculiar that Crimson's defence is is so highly spoken of yet are reguarly outshot. They might not allow alot of scoring chances but sure do count on Dov to be in the net at all times.

Closed Thread