HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 04:34 PM
StronGeer
Some say...

vCash: 1337
Sooo how's Sean Couturier doing this year?

Great to see Scheif tear up the OHL after his stint in the pressbox. Looks like he's motivated and maybe even learned some things by sticking around with the Jets. Looking forward to seeing him crack the lineup next year. Another summer of bulking will do him well.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:46 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
It'll be really neat to see if both Trouba and Scheifele make the team in sheltered rolls next season...

I'd put money on Scheifele most likely C the 2nd or 3rd line for 2013-14. Noel has always switch accommodating which one of those two gets sheltered depending on personnel so I have no fear of Noel throwing him straight into the fire. Burmistrov, while not seeming to put it together offensively thus far, has at least been successful in severely tilting the ice possession and chances-wise so would compliment the rookie on whichever line Scheifele isn't on by taking on the toughs... much like how Ladd (albeit with offense) does for Kane. That or maybe Burmistrov might be traded in a package for another C option (while I defend Burmistrov's progression, I'm not against any trades that are upgrades).

Trouba will be interesting to see whether he makes it or not. The whole NCAA thing makes it a tough call as you have to be a lot more certain that him in the NHL>NCAA than you would have with CHL, as there is no turning back. Byfuglien and Bogosian can take the toughs no problem, as can Enstrom on the leftside. That #4 spot I don't think is for Stuart or Postma, and we don't know if Redmond will return (and what condition he'll be at when/if he does). I like the idea of Trouba eventually there and put Bogosian on his offside, but I'm not keen in throwing Trouba straight into the fire either.

All-in-all, it will be really interesting to see the makeup of the 2013-14 Jets.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:54 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post

Great to see Scheif tear up the OHL after his stint in the pressbox. Looks like he's motivated and maybe even learned some things by sticking around with the Jets. Looking forward to seeing him crack the lineup next year. Another summer of bulking will do him well.
By all accounts on the Flyers board Sean has regressed this year. He is in bit of a tough spot, Giroux is the 1st line centre and Schenn is the 2nd line centre and I just don't see Couts bumping Schenn because Brayden Is a much slicker offensive talent. From what I hear they don't plan on relocating any of these guys to a wing so for now Couturier will play 3rd line and be a defense first type. given how Hamilton has started in Boston and the Flyers lack of quality defense I am guessing some In Philly must be having 2nd thoughts now about Couts over Dougie. Hubs comes in and blows by Sean as far as a dynamic impact player as well.

Just shows that this race is just getting started.

Last edited by ps241: 03-11-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post

Yours was probably a rhetorical question but it is interesting to note that Couturier is on pace for 24 points, pro-rated to 82 games, just slightly less than his output last year, and is a minus 8. Past 2 games he's had just over 10 minutes TOI.
There is no point in resurrecting the Sceifele vs Couturier debate, but it is instructive to look at how the 2 organizations are developing their prospects. I am thrilled that Scheifele is getting the opportunity to take that final leadership step in Juniors-- it will make him a more confident and skilled player in the end.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
surixon

Nice to see him win the head to head against Strome. Looming forward to seeing him next year after another summer of strength training.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

I'm really glad Scheifele is getting a chance to go through the OHL playoffs and potentially the Memorial Cup. That's big time experience and something he can look back on as a great time in his career.

I know that some think that Junior is above Mark but being able to go through the playoff grind, the pressure and stress, and be the go to guy is something you can't simulate. I think he will be a better player for it.

03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Some more interesting numbers for Scheifele:

11pts (6g, 5a) in the last 4 games, 28pts (16g 12a) in 13 games since being sent down from the Jets.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
I'm getting tired of us putting Slater out there only to lose a faceoff.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I'm getting tired of us putting Slater out there only to lose a faceoff.
i'm getting tired of you posting this garbage in the prospects thread

Old
03-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Hammer Slammer
#MBMoose

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

03-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
That was a sick one-handed pass by Schiefele on the shorthanded goal by Hall.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:19 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
That was a sick one-handed pass by Schiefele on the shorthanded goal by Hall.
He is just schooling these kids.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Hammer Slammer
#MBMoose

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Yeah that one surprised me. I was like "oh maybe he learned the one-handed thing from Buff WHOA SWEET"

Old
03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Yeah that one surprised me. I was like "oh maybe he learned the one-handed thing from Buff WHOA SWEET"
Between that and the breakaway goal and beauty assist from the last vid, it is clear that he is on another level.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Not sure we should be reading anything into Scheifligh tearing up the OHL. There are many players who tear up junior when they're older and have no futher careers in hockey.

Not saying Scheifleigh won't amount to anything, just saying his prowress at the junior level at this stage of his development is meaningless.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not sure we should be reading anything into Scheifligh tearing up the OHL. There are many players who tear up junior when they're older and have no futher careers in hockey.

Not saying Scheifleigh won't amount to anything, just saying his prowress at the junior level at this stage of his development is meaningless.
Scheifele...

I wouldn't frame it quite like that. I'd agree that you'd want to exercise caution in making any forecasts about what kind of NHL player Scheifele will be based on his OHL performance, but the fact that he's up there with Strome and Galchenyuk in PPG suggests that he's developing quite nicely.

Every case is different, but the guys who tear up juniors and have no further careers in hockey are typically a) overagers and/or b) smaller players who have a game that's tailor made for junior hockey, but can't adjust to pro hockey. Neither applies to Scheifele.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Scheifele...

I wouldn't frame it quite like that. I'd agree that you'd want to exercise caution in making any forecasts about what kind of NHL player Scheifele will be based on his OHL performance, but the fact that he's up there with Strome and Galchenyuk in PPG suggests that he's developing quite nicely.
Yep. Also that it's encouraging in general to see the response -- when he was sent down, Chevy and Noel told him they wanted to see leadership. He responded exactly the right way in what was surely a very disappointing situation, and went right to work making a statement about himself as a leader, and as an NHL prospect. Make no mistake, he's playing for his teammates and his team right now, but he's also playing to send a message back to Winnipeg.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Scheifele...

Every case is different, but the guys who tear up juniors and have no further careers in hockey are typically a) overagers and/or b) smaller players who have a game that's tailor made for junior hockey, but can't adjust to pro hockey. Neither applies to Scheifele.
Galch doing it so young is special.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Galch doing it so young is special.
Yup. Still early, but wouldn't surprise me one bit if Galchenyuk ends up being the best player taken in the 2012 draft. Dude's a stud.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters
Jacob Trouba (WPG), Mario Lucia (MIN), Riley Barber (WSH) among those on final CCHA All-Rookie Team. Nieves (NYR), DeBlouw (CGY) hon mention
Nieves was a guy I had hoped we'd be able to draft, has had a pretty good season in Michigan as well.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Nieves was a guy I had hoped we'd be able to draft, has had a pretty good season in Michigan as well.
Same. This was the guy I really wanted in the 2nd round, I had him ranked 30th on my draft list last year, NYR got an absolute steal #59 with him...

Old
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
amyles
We The North

Scheifele is the player of the week in the OHL with 9 points in 3 games.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:07 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 598
Scheifele has been on another level since returning to the colts. It's been fun to watch and expecting him to be clutch in the playoffs. I would be shocked if he isn't on the Jets next season.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
jetkarma

Rick Ralph had a Barrie reporter on the RR today talking about Mark.

As to be expected the conversation was pretty glowing from the reporters end. Said he has gotten stronger and bigger , is more of a prescence in front of the net, is dominating ,skating really well, scoring in all ways and made sure to mention his shot was more than NHL ready.

Said he is blocking shots , killing penalties , leading , pretty much anything and everything. No one expected him to pout after being sent down , but to see the hunger and drive is such a positive imo . Kid has great character and is continually building his skillset and increasing his production.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Rick Ralph had a Barrie reporter on the RR today talking about Mark.

As to be expected the conversation was pretty glowing from the reporters end. Said he has gotten stronger and bigger , is more of a prescence in front of the net, is dominating ,skating really well, scoring in all ways and made sure to mention his shot was more than NHL ready.

Said he is blocking shots , killing penalties , leading , pretty much anything and everything. No one expected him to pout after being sent down , but to see the hunger and drive is such a positive imo . Kid has great character and is continually building his skillset and increasing his production.

Sounds like a good TNSE fit, to me, and something this team could use more of:

Not entitled to anything, gives it all to get what he wants, and will do anything to win.

Closed Thread