HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Now we have a logjam at Defense too

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 10:35 AM
eye

vCash: 500
Now we have a logjam at Defense too

Coyotes announce veteran NHL/AHL journeyman defensemen Mike Wilson signed;

MB check list;

at 6'4" MB approved
as a former 1st rounder MB approved
from what I saw of him he lacks skill MB approved
former client unknown

most likely AHL bound with Tselios, Helmer, Schutte, Bezina, Knayzev and Spiller giving the Falcons 7 D for 5 playing spots. Most AHL teams go with 5 D, some go with 6 D as they only play with a 19 man roster so I don't get this one. Someone already posted that Springfield have 3 veteran Defensemen signed to PTO's unless they already have those 3 destined for the east coast league.

Like I said before, why did we just not save the money on all these fringe signings and kept Teppo? The salaries and bonus money must be about equal to what Teppo would have cost us to keep him with the Yotes by now.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:23 AM
The Viking

Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye

MB check list;

at 6'4" MB approved
former client unknown

most likely AHL bound with Tselios, Helmer, Schutte, Bezina, Knayzev and Spiller giving the Falcons 7 D for 5 playing spots. Most AHL teams go with 5 D, some go with 6 D as they only play with a 19 man roster so I don't get this one. Someone already posted that Springfield have 3 veteran Defensemen signed to PTO's unless they already have those 3 destined for the east coast league.

Like I said before, why did we just not save the money on all these fringe signings and kept Teppo? The salaries and bonus money must be about equal to what Teppo would have cost us to keep him with the Yotes by now.

Depth cannot be overlooked. All strong teams have outstanding depth so when injuries happen, there is another able body to step in.

Also, competition for playing time (even a spot in the lineup) is condusive to a team playing at its best.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:55 AM
PhoPhan

Wilson won't play a game for the Coyotes unless they break the record they set last year (man-games lost to injury). He has Mara, Vaananen, Ference, Tanabe, Suchy, Simpson and Hulse definitely ahead of him, with possibly Helmer and Knyazev up there as well.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Wilson won't play a game for the Coyotes unless they break the record they set last year (man-games lost to injury). He has Mara, Vaananen, Ference, Tanabe, Suchy, Simpson and Hulse definitely ahead of him, with possibly Helmer and Knyazev up there as well.
Well, if three of those guys get injured/play poorly, he could get a chance. That's not unrealistic.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:18 PM

Given the timing of the signing, it makes me wonder if a move is a foot, albeit a minor one, or if it speaks of the defense in Springfield. Maybe they think one of the guys they had pencilied in for the AHL makes a good argument to make the Coyotes and they are doing it to back up that position. I feel like this move has little impact on the Coyotes roster, and that being the only way it would impact it.

I must say that in theory it's nicer to have one great player than 5 mediocre or lesser players. But coming from the depth this team had, and the overall circumstances, I think we need all the depth we can get.

I'm glad to see the Coyotes as active as they are to put a team together for Springfield. You can't say they haven't tried.

Old
09-23-2003, 01:55 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
RE: Man-games lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan

If Vegas had a number on such a happening and the way this team gets injuries they would be a lock. Depth is a far more important factor to this organization than to any other in the league.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:03 PM
hbk

It's an interesting signing.

Wilson is a capable NHL defenseman. He frustrated me in Buffalo with his unwillingness to use his size. He was a 6'6" beanpole for much of his early career who didn't have the strength that his size and weight indicated. He has better skill than he's being given credit for but he'll never be confused for Ray Bourque. He's not a top three but he's definately a top 6 guy and will fill that role in Phoenix.

A couple of ramnifications of this signing.

1) The liklihood of a prospect in Spiller or Knyazev making this squad is slim to none. They'll get some good minutes in preseason but their days as a Coyote are post CBA.

2) Someone is likely going. Money is likely on Todd Simpson or Suchy or possibly both. Both dropped a spot on the depth chart from this signing. Toronto seems to be a likely destination but there are numerous teams that are desperate for blueline help. Could this also be a proactive signing in lieu that they are likely to lose someone to the waiver draft? Probably the most realistic possibility.

3) The team is likely going to carry 7-8 d men on the pro team and rotate people through the press box. Hulse, Simpson, Suchy are the most likely candidates.

4) Blueline in Springfield is going to be good. Likely Springfield will play a 6 d man unit (I don't see that being a problem). Springfields signings will be sent down to the ECHL. Bezina and/or Schutte may be utilized at forward. Bezina was played as a forward during the World Championships so keep that in mind.

5) Just a macro comment. Barnett knows defense is his clubs achilles heel so he's got plenty of bandaids to help stop the bleeding. Keeping Numminen would have been ideal but Numminen didn't want to be here and quite frankly deserved a shot with a legitimate contender. I'm happy Barnett is being proactive but I do have concerns about Wilson's physical play but I'll withhold judgement until I've seen him play a couple games as a Yote. Eye does raise some legitimate points though. If he plays like he did in Buffalo then it truly was a wasted signing.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:05 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye

MB check list;

at 6'4" MB approved
former client unknown

I believe 99.4% of AHL teams suit up 11 and 6 not 12 and 5.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:20 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
2) Someone is likely going. Money is likely on Todd Simpson or Suchy or possibly both. Both dropped a spot on the depth chart from this signing. Toronto seems to be a likely destination but there are numerous teams that are desperate for blueline help. Could this also be a proactive signing in lieu that they are likely to lose someone to the waiver draft? Probably the most realistic possibility.

3) The team is likely going to carry 7-8 d men on the pro team and rotate people through the press box. Hulse, Simpson, Suchy are the most likely candidates.
I doubt that Simpson is going to sit most nights. He's better than you guys give him credit for even though he's been on the 3rd pairing almost his entire stay in PHX. I'd dress Simpson over Suchy or Hulse (or Wilson) on any given day.
I agree with almost everything else you've said though.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:23 PM
XX
... Waiting

Possible goalie trade with swaps of Dmen?

Or perhaps just a minor trade to a team like the leafs?

Old
09-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_
I doubt that Simpson is going to sit most nights. He's better than you guys give him credit for even though he's been on the 3rd pairing almost his entire stay in PHX. I'd dress Simpson over Suchy or Hulse (or Wilson) on any given day.
Agreed. Simpson isn't going to sit in favor of Wilson, Hulse or Suchy. Wilson won't even be on the opening day roster.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:32 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_
Given Wilson's history of shying away from physical contact and Simpson's penchant for it, you're probably right. You can almost see my opinion changing from positive to negative as you read my last piece. I can see what Barnett is doing, I just don't know if there is a bandaid that is going to get this team into the playoffs. I really think our defense is at least a year away from being a detrimental factor to our playoff aspirations. The positive comments and minutes played by Tanabe are encouraging but what happens if he or one of Mara, Vaananen, or Ference goes down? The alternatives (Wilson, Hulse, etc.) are not that attractive (at least in the short-term). They can play but they won't carry the team. Simpson is better than I give him credit for. He's a good d man and he holds some trade value. However, I don't think we can afford to give him up. That's one bandaid that we need.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:49 PM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Agreed. Simpson isn't going to sit in favor of Wilson, Hulse or Suchy. Wilson won't even be on the opening day roster.
Agree 100 percent. MB must have something else up his sleeve. If Toronto wanted Wilson or any other Yotes dman Im sure they could have signed or traded for him by now. I don't see any of our D appealing to Pat Quinn except Ference who they expressed some interest in last year. The biggest problem I see with our defense is a general lack of skill and intelligence. Maybe Tanabe will be one player I hoped to see on our blueline and to some extent Mara have some offensive ability but not the kind I personally like. I'm looking for dmen that can play the transition game, that are smart and can find our forwards quickly and through the seams and can read the play before they develop and not after. Last year our forwards were standing still along the boards because they knew our dmen would not get them the puck with any confidence or consistency. I want a group of 2 way dmen that can play defense, play reasonably tough and still get the puck to our 4 lines and take advantage of our forward depth. I see Wilson, Spiller, Tselios, Bezina and Im guessing Knayzev as being more of what we already have. Perhaps Helmer and Schutte will be pleasant suprises to fill this need. I look forward to seeing how things unfold.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I agree with a lot of what you said but do you really rate Wilson above Simpson or Suchy to say they 'dropped a spot' ?

I dont think we'll see Wilson in Phoenix at all.. the guy played just one game for the Rangers and we all know how bad they were on defense last year. He's strictly Springfield material and thats why this doesnt make any sense to me because Springfield is crowded enough.. the only logic to it is your suggestion that it is a proactive move ahead of the waiver draft.

Closed Thread