HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL (EDM - Tambo fired)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 05:48 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

vCash: 500
Think that with so few sellers it will be a less then exciting day in terms of the number of deals... Big ones tho? Who knows....

Old
04-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
After today's activity, I'd think there are less teams that are either 1) desperate enough to make a pitch for 26, 29 or 2) have the cap space to deal with their contract next season. Minnesota is an exception maybe with several contracts coming off this summer.
It seems like the Canucks still want to wheel-and-deal, and as good as Chicago has been, I'd think they'd still like to add. I'm not saying they're likely destinations for the Sabres high-cap guys or even for trades with the Sabres, but they should still be in the mix tomorrow for something.

I'd also be surprised if Montreal and Minny didn't make a move or two. Then there's Philly, who should be selling, but may come out and make some crazy splash as part of some ridiculous last-minute push.

Not hearing or seeing much out of some others playoff teams like Ottawa, Toronto, Anaheim, etc. though.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
You're forgetting sometimes players are traded for merely the rights to negotiate a contract for a day or two(see Ehrhoff, Christian). In that case, his rights were traded twice(4th rounders). Why should Derek Roy be any different?
Well sure, but that's an entirely different scenario.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Well sure, but that's an entirely different scenario.
Not if your a club that's seriously interested in locking up Derek Roy.

Also:
Quote:
Minnesota is an exception maybe with several contracts coming off this summer.
Minny will have less than $14M to sign a goalie, a couple D men, and 3 forwards, which includes replacing Cullen and PMB. I don't see them trading assets to make that cap sit worse. They'd have to have salary going the other way. I doubt we want any.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I think most agree that Vancouver has no interest in re-signing Roy though.

Yeah Minny has been speculated to be a buyer, but you're right, and with cap coming back Buffalo wouldn't be the team they deal with.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:05 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Two 2nd's (Possibly) and a 3rd for Clowe?

Maybe a year or two ago...

Old
04-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
It seems like the Canucks still want to wheel-and-deal, and as good as Chicago has been, I'd think they'd still like to add. I'm not saying they're likely destinations for the Sabres high-cap guys or even for trades with the Sabres, but they should still be in the mix tomorrow for something.

I'd also be surprised if Montreal and Minny didn't make a move or two. Then there's Philly, who should be selling, but may come out and make some crazy splash as part of some ridiculous last-minute push.

Not hearing or seeing much out of some others playoff teams like Ottawa, Toronto, Anaheim, etc. though.
I'm expecting Montreal to make a move. A top 6 forward would really help them live up to their regular season billing in the playoffs as I think they may face some struggles and are one of the better candidates for a 1st round upset.

Regarding Ottawa, when Karlsson went down their GM came out and said they aren't going to make any (short-term) moves to try and replace him or Spezza. I imagine that philosophy stays constant through the deadline and that they'd only bring in medium/long-term players or perhaps a low-cost vet for a 5th, etc. Toronto would be wise to follow their example, imo.

Anaheim is an interesting case, though. They just tied a ridiculous amount up in their big guns, which limits their flexibility on one hand and might make them consider trading Ryan on the other. Then there's the fact that some important players are probably going to retire after this season. Due to those reasons, they likely aren't in a position to give up young players for a Cup push, as they'll need their youngsters to plug roles at low salary going forward. Ultimately, I don't think we'll see them do much of anything, either.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Daz28

Quote:
I think most agree that Vancouver has no interest in re-signing Roy though.
I agree, but a large group of irrational fans are figuring that when they re-sign him, it will make the deal the steal of the century. I get there's always irrational exuberance after a trade, but c'mom, they got about $2.5m to spend, and only 14 roster spots filled. They're obviously living in a fantasy world. Luongo will free up just enough to barely plug those holes.

It's also a fantasy world that they don't think other GM's understand their plight, and might want them to ADD to take Lou off there hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Anaheim is an interesting case, though. They just tied a ridiculous amount up in their big guns, which limits their flexibility on one hand and might make them consider trading Ryan on the other. Then there's the fact that some important players are probably going to retire after this season. Due to those reasons, they likely aren't in a position to give up young players for a Cup push, as they'll need their youngsters to plug roles at low salary going forward. Ultimately, I don't think we'll see them do much of anything, either.
They traded for Steckel as their faceoff guy, and just added Dvorak. I don't expect any splashes from them, considering they're getting good play from Palmieri and Etem, and are waiting to get Bonino back from injury. If Bonino is worse than touted, then maybe a move for a 2nd center. They have ridiculous goalie depth to use as bait.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
He's a rental no matter what he wants this summer. His contract demand has no bearing on his trade value under this scenario. When have fans ever put forth such an argument for another player in a TDL situation?

You're right, and I actually made that point about Regher when debating someone. That was poorly worded by me, but here's a better way to word it:
His value is lower because he is a rental. Dallas was hoping Roy would be a piece that could get them into the playoffs and be a part of their immediate future. Because he wants a huge contract they are forced to trade him as a rental at lower value than they got him for.

Last edited by Dubi Doo: 04-02-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Well, I'm not so sure his contract status would affect his trade value at the deadline when most teams overpay. In the summer I would totally agree.

FWIW, I think Niewendyk screwed up by not expecting or being ready to sign Roy to a raise over 5 mil per. What was he expecting?? Even if we don't think Roy is actually worth it, we have to concede that he'll get it on the open market.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Well, I'm not so sure his contract status would affect his trade value at the deadline when most teams overpay. In the summer I would totally agree.

FWIW, I think Niewendyk screwed up by not expecting or being ready to sign Roy to a raise over 5 mil per. What was he expecting?? Even if we don't think Roy is actually worth it, we have to concede that he'll get it on the open market.
I think Joe was smart to part ways. He took a risk to see if Derek could return to form, and IJMHO he didn't. I don't think failing to score a single goal against a winning club(.560) shows he's back, and deserves a big payout. Again, this is just my opinion, NOT a Derek bash. Although I must admit, I am chuckling a little, because he failed us, and I'm finding it hard to give him love. Heck, I could hardly give him any his last year here.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Well I don't want to give him love either (uh...), but I'm emotionally detached and don't feel the hate either. If anything, I wanted to use Roy and squeeze the best possible value out of his departure (that sounds dirty too).

Let's move on from loving and squeezing that metro boy.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Tachycineta

I am glad Brennan is getting to play. He scored a pop goal for Florida tonight. And Jiru Tlusty is having himself a nice year in Car.

Winnipeg signs Trouba. Uggh. I can't get his draft day interview flub out of my head. Either way, I think Winnipeg got a good one.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!

Last edited by Tachycineta: 04-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Sarich about to be traded. Flames trying to outtank is?!?!

Old
04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Ugly injury for Pitkanen

Old
04-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

If we traded Ott for a 2nd and Counnauton I would be disappoint.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:23 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Ugly injury for Pitkanen

Hybrid/no-touch icing three seasons ago, thanks

Old
04-02-2013, 08:48 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post

Hybrid/no-touch icing three seasons ago, thanks
Brutal. No touch icing is such an easy thing to do too.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
I am glad Brennan is getting to play. He scored a pop goal for Florida tonight. And Jiru Tlusty is having himself a nice year in Car.

Winnipeg signs Trouba. Uggh. I can't get his draft day interview flub out of my head. Either way, I think Winnipeg got a good one.
I love Trouba. I think he outplayed Seth at the WJC. Keep your eyes on that kid.

Also, color me shocked, The Rangers overpaid(best part is they're a fringe team). I'm not against Clowe, but you gotta wonder when a guy goes full out Cheechoo on ya. 28 game snakebite?

One more thing, does this make sense, 'team in 6th trades player to team in 9th for cup run???????'

Last edited by Daz28: 04-02-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post

What did he do/say?

Old
04-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Saw this on the main board. Watch Derek Roy get traded:

Old
04-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Tachycineta

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What did he do/say?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4lkCPU00w

3:23.

It's not a big deal. It is just funny because he's talking about his education being important. I just remember that from the draft. But, I'm excited for him and for the Jets. I remember his awesome WJCs as well.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:28 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
One more thing, does this make sense, 'team in 6th trades player to team in 9th for cup run?'
Yes - trade makes sense - they are in different conferences - San Jose in the West and NY Rangers in the East. Only time it will backfire for SJS will be if they meet the NYR in the SCFs and Clowe scores the winning goal in Game #7 after being the MVP for the series/playoffs.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 04-03-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old
04-03-2013, 01:04 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

That Pitkanen injury makes me sick.

No touch icings are so ****ing overdue.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
boots electric

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ga...756/story.html

Quote:
...Right now Kassian is in Chicago for reasons, which on the surface, certainly puzzle the public. In fact, its largely disciplinary given hes been photographed enjoying himself in some of the local nightspots when hes supposed to have been nursing an ailing back. But the club doesnt really want to say so. Hes young and inexperienced in this market where everything you do is spotted, photographed and dutifully reported.
Perhaps there's more to Kassian getting sent down to the AHL than just rehab from a back injury

Closed Thread