HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Roster analysis - Goalies - James Reimer

View Poll Results: What James Reimer's role on a playoff team?
1A Goalie 31 29.81%
1B Goalie 58 55.77%
2A Goalie 13 12.50%
2B Goalie 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 01:17 PM
  #1
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
Leafs Roster analysis - Goalies - James Reimer

I will be going through our roster and injured players and we will determine the players role... i.e Kessel (Elite winger) vs (1A winger) vs (1B winger) vs (2A winger)

This is not determining their role for the team, but what they're capable of on a playoff team. I'll only be putting what in my mind are "realistic" options.

Term definitions:

Elite: Top 5 in their position
1A: 1st line/1st pairing/#1 Goalie
1B: Able to fill in 1st line/1st pairing/Average Starter
2A: 2nd line/2nd pairing/Back-up
2B: Able to fill in 2nd line/2nd pairing/Too good for AHL Starter but not proven
3A: 3rd line/3rd pairing
3B Able to fill in 3rd line/3rd pairing
4A 4th line
4B: Able to fill in 4th line
Scratch: 13th player/7th dman
AHL player: Self explanatory

I'll be starting from the net out.

Goaltending

James Reimer
Ben Scrivens

Defense

Cody Franson
Mark Fraser
Jake Gardiner
Carl Gunnarsson
Korbinian Holzer
Mike Komisarek
Michael Kostka
John-Michael Liles
Dion Phaneuf

Forwards

Tyler Bozak
Mike Brown
Matt Frattin
Mikhail Grabovski
Nazem Kadri
Phil Kessel
Leo Komarov
Nikolai Kulemin
Joffrey Lupul
Clarke MacArthur
Jay Mcclement
Frazer McLaren
Colton Orr
David Steckel
James Van Riemsdyk

Keep me aware of errors please.

edit: Could a mod please edit the poll question to say "What is James Reimer's roll on a playoff team?"


Last edited by FishManSam: 03-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
FishManSam is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:02 PM
  #2
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,666
vCash: 500
Unproven, and way too small a sample size to make any sort of judgment of how he's going to be projected.

With that being said, he's done very well with his small sample size - well enough to warrant the Leafs giving him a real good chance of being the team's number 1 instead of trying to bring in someone else.

So yeah - that's the answer; the poll options are a bit foolish. But if you had to pick 1, you would presumably pick backup because the playoff team already has a number 1 that got them into the playoffs?

Don't think you thought this through very well bud.

Also, how do the poll options change if this poll was conducted at the beginning of the season coming off of last season where Reimer was crap, as opposed to the middle of one where Reimer has played well? Way too small a sample size to know anything about where he's going to be

Tak7 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  #3
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Unproven, and way too small a sample size to make any sort of judgment of how he's going to be projected.

With that being said, he's done very well with his small sample size - well enough to warrant the Leafs giving him a real good chance of being the team's number 1 instead of trying to bring in someone else.

So yeah - that's the answer; the poll options are a bit foolish. But if you had to pick 1, you would presumably pick backup because the playoff team already has a number 1 that got them into the playoffs?

Don't think you thought this through very well bud.

Also, how do the poll options change if this poll was conducted at the beginning of the season coming off of last season where Reimer was crap, as opposed to the middle of one where Reimer has played well? Way too small a sample size to know anything about where he's going to be
It's not potential, it's based off of what they are currently. It's not meant to be perceived as where they are playing, it's what they are.

If Kessel plays behind Perry, Kane and Hossa on RW, it doesn't make him a 4th line caliber player. It means he's playing on the 4th line.

edit: I see where I made some poor phrasing...

This is not determining their role for the team, but what their role would be on a playoff team. *changed to, what they're capable of on a playoff team


Last edited by FishManSam: 03-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
FishManSam is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:15 PM
  #4
OptimusForever
#teambernier
 
OptimusForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 50
Hard to say about a lot of guys especially goalie. Would he be a starter on a playoff team? Who's the other goalie? Lol

OptimusForever is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
  #5
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Hard to say about a lot of guys especially goalie. Would he be a starter on a playoff team? Who's the other goalie? Lol
Try and imagine it like this... The teams blank, where do the player go?

___-___-___
___-___-___
___-___-___
___-___-___
___

___-___
___-___
___-___
___

___
___

Is Reimer capable of being a #1 Goalie? an average starter? a back-up? Unproven back-up? ( Not playoff unproven, just he's a great goalie in the AHL, but hasn't played significant time in the NHL. Someone like Eddie Lack. )

FishManSam is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  #6
MakeTheIronSing
Registered User
 
MakeTheIronSing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
despite some shaky game, he's rocking a .922sp (10th overall) .247gaa (18th overall) with a win percentage of 70% when starting (potentially 80% had he not been injured and unable to play)

if I'm a coach and I know up til now, you have won (let's say 75% to be diplomatic) games when started, and my team is currently in the playoff picture, your getting the start as much as possible

he's a 1a until he proves otherwise

MakeTheIronSing is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 02:48 PM
  #7
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I will be going through our roster and injured players and we will determine the players role... i.e Kessel (Elite winger) vs (1A winger) vs (1B winger) vs (2A winger)

This is not determining their role for the team, but what they're capable of on a playoff team. I'll only be putting what in my mind are "realistic" options.

Term definitions:

Elite: Top 5 in their position
1A: 1st line/1st pairing/#1 Goalie
1B: Able to fill in 1st line/1st pairing/Average Starter
2A: 2nd line/2nd pairing/Back-up
2B: Able to fill in 2nd line/2nd pairing/Too good for AHL Starter but not proven
3A: 3rd line/3rd pairing
3B Able to fill in 3rd line/3rd pairing
4A 4th line
4B: Able to fill in 4th line
Scratch: 13th player/7th dman
AHL player: Self explanatory

I'll be starting from the net out.

Goaltending

James Reimer-1A/1B too early to tell, has great potential though.
Ben Scrivens-1B/2A seems like a slightly lesser version of Reimer, good to fill in though.

Defense

Cody Franson-2A- His shot is fantastic, getting better defensively.
Mark Fraser- 3A- Perfect 3rd pairing guy, just makes the smart play, not overly fast though.
Jake Gardiner- 1B- top 4 complimentary d-man with amazing skating, high iq.
Carl Gunnarsson- 1B- smart d-man who does everything well but nothing amazing.
Korbinian Holzer- 3A- simple shutdown d-man, doesn't excel at much.
Mike Komisarek- Scrath/4A- decent depth guy now if he had a low contract.
Michael Kostka- 3B- decent 3rd pairing guy, IMO a lesser version of gunnar.
John-Michael Liles- 2B- Solid on the PP and mobility, smaller and doesn't always make the best plays.
Dion Phaneuf-1A- definitely a top 2 defender when on his game.

Forwards

Tyler Bozak- 2A- Great on faceoffs as well as defense, average offense.
Mike Brown- 4b- depth grinder
Matt Frattin- 2A- great top 6 goal scoring winger(dustin brown lite)
Mikhail Grabovski- 2A- other than this year, seems like a 2nd line C
Nazem Kadri- 1B- huge potential with this guy
Phil Kessel- elite- near the top in shots, was just snakebitten this year.
Leo Komarov- 2B- utility guy that can go on almost any line and fit in.
Nikolai Kulemin- 2B/3A- defensive winger with okay offense.
Joffrey Lupul- 1B- can fill in the top line, solid 60-70 point winger
Clarke MacArthur- 2B- decent, inconsistent guy
Jay Mcclement- 3B- great 3rd or 4th line Centre, smart player
Frazer McLaren- 4A- great 4th line grinder
Colton Orr- 4a/4b-
David Steckel- 4b- faceoff specialist that's about it
James Van Riemsdyk- 1b(1a potential) key driving the net goalscorer

Keep me aware of errors please.

edit: Could a mod please edit the poll question to say "What is James Reimer's roll on a playoff team?"


That's what i put for everyone

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:41 PM
  #8
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Goaltending

James Reimer0- Fringe #1
Ben Scrivens- Backup

Defense

Cody Franson- #5 D/Powerplay specialist
Mark Fraser #5D
Jake Gardiner- Top 4D
Carl Gunnarsson- Top 4D, on a good team bottom pairing guy
Korbinian Holzer- Depth D
Mike Komisarek- Depth D
Michael Kostka- Top 4 guy on Leafs, should be a depth guy
John-Michael Liles- #5 D/PowerPlay specialist
Dion Phaneuf- #1D

Forwards

Tyler Bozak- #3C
Mike Brown- #4th line winger/PK'er
Matt Frattin- #3rd line winger
Mikhail Grabovski- #2C
Nazem Kadri- #3C, but plays like a #1C currently
Phil Kessel- #1 RW, elite sniper
Leo Komarov- #4th line banger
Nikolai Kulemin- 3rd line defensive shutdown player/PK'er
Joffrey Lupul- First line sniper
Clarke MacArthur- 3rd liner who can chip in with some offense
Jay Mcclement- #3C who also excels on the PK
Frazer McLaren- Enforcer/Depth guy
Colton Orr- Enforcer
David Steckel- Depth guy
James Van Riemsdyk- 2nd line sniper

Kingstonian84* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
  #9
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
I've been really happy with Reimer this year, particularly his poise and rebound control. Pleasant surprise.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:23 PM
  #10
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Reimer's glove has to be the worst of any starting goalie in this league.

He almost completely blew the Islander game. That never should have gotten to OT.

If only Scrivens would learn to absorb pucks, and stop handing out 2nd and 3rd chances. I'm actually more confident with him in net, and if he developed his rebound control, would haveno problem running with him this year.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
  #11
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Reimer's glove has to be the worst of any starting goalie in this league.

He almost completely blew the Islander game. That never should have gotten to OT.

If only Scrivens would learn to absorb pucks, and stop handing out 2nd and 3rd chances. I'm actually more confident with him in net, and if he developed his rebound control, would haveno problem running with him this year.
lol What are you talking about? It was his first game back from injury I didn't expect him to be top notch.(noone usually is after being out of it for a few weeks) he'll get going again soon.

pre-injury he was much better than scrivens, Scrivens plays solid but has terrible rebound control, he's very similar to reimer only smaller and worse at rebounds.

Reimer's glove hand has actually improved, I used to think it was terrible, I honestly think he's gotten better than even his first season here.

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
  #12
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
lol What are you talking about? It was his first game back from injury I didn't expect him to be top notch.(noone usually is after being out of it for a few weeks) he'll get going again soon.

pre-injury he was much better than scrivens, Scrivens plays solid but has terrible rebound control, he's very similar to reimer only smaller and worse at rebounds.

Reimer's glove hand has actually improved, I used to think it was terrible, I honestly think he's gotten better than even his first season here.
I'll believe Reimer's glove is improved when he shows it. That goal to tie the game was inexcusable. It was pathetic that he didn't stop it.

Sure, he started looking like his old self before the knee, but the glove hand is still garbage, until he proves otherwise. There's a reason teams target that side.

I also said I would be fine with Scivens IF he was able to corral rebounds better....

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:24 PM
  #13
The Viper
Legolas
 
The Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,591
vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Reimer's glove has to be the worst of any starting goalie in this league.

He almost completely blew the Islander game. That never should have gotten to OT.

If only Scrivens would learn to absorb pucks, and stop handing out 2nd and 3rd chances. I'm actually more confident with him in net, and if he developed his rebound control, would haveno problem running with him this year.
his first game back, what do you expect, and he has shown he is a better goalie than Scrivens

The Viper is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:35 PM
  #14
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
his first game back, what do you expect, and he has shown he is a better goalie than Scrivens
Ok.

It's his first game back from what injury?
Was it an injury to his hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder on his glove side?

The answer is no.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:37 PM
  #15
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,600
vCash: 500
I'd say average starter right now is probably accurate for Reimer. It's not really a slight against him more than it is a compliment to the guys ahead of him. I'm content with Reimer in net, and furthermore, even before Kadri's break-out, I am now happy that we did not deal for Luongo, since, yes, he would have been an upgrade; but the cost of acquisition would have been too high.

That's a little off topic, but, you get my point

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
  #16
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
I would like to add another goalie prospect with a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year though, we could use more junior level guys for the system.

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:55 PM
  #17
Optimus Reim
Leafs and Bolts fan
 
Optimus Reim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Ok.

It's his first game back from what injury?
Was it an injury to his hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder on his glove side?

The answer is no.
No, but when you miss extended time you are going to need a few games to get back into mid season shape, no?

Optimus Reim is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:24 PM
  #18
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I would like to add another goalie prospect with a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year though, we could use more junior level guys for the system.
Agreed! Goaltending IMO is by far the most important position it makes sense to have the most depth there. Look at Ottawa, they loose their #1 in Anderson, not a problem because Lenigher (sp?) and Bishop are rising to the occasion. Riemer went down with an injury last year and we dropped like stones, this year Scrivens did well but still I think we need another capable guy in the ranks.

Kingstonian84* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:27 PM
  #19
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,702
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
the way he's playing THIS year. he's a 1A in a 2 tier system. he's been great but only time will tell.

Porn* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:27 PM
  #20
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
No, but when you miss extended time you are going to need a few games to get back into mid season shape, no?
I agree, but his glove has ALWAYS been awful.
He's not going to magically have a better glove hand in 3 games, when he's in better game shape.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
  #21
The Viper
Legolas
 
The Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,591
vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I agree, but his glove has ALWAYS been awful.
He's not going to magically have a better glove hand in 3 games, when he's in better game shape.
I've seen Reimer make tons of great glove saves this season

The Viper is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
  #22
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porn* View Post
the way he's playing THIS year. he's a 1A in a 2 tier system. he's been great but only time will tell.
I hate using this "1a or 1b" approach, either your a starter or your a backup, simple as that! Riemer this year is playing like a starter, but then again so is Scrivens as well.

Kingstonian84* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:37 PM
  #23
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
The question is whether or not he could be a 1A or a 1B on a contender, not the Leafs.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
  #24
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Ok.

It's his first game back from what injury?
Was it an injury to his hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder on his glove side?

The answer is no.
lol. play much?

you can't discount the fact he had been out and needs a game or two to get back his game and timing.

doesn't mean he doesn't have to improve the glove hand, but you can't say it won't be affected by an absence. no matter if it was the injuried body part or not.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
  #25
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The question is whether or not he could be a 1A or a 1B on a contender, not the Leafs.
At this point, I would say on a contender he's nothing more then a backup. However, look at Quick in LA a young guy who had to prove himself as the #1 and he did, Riemer needs to do the same. I'm sorry but Riemer has not proven that, yes he has had solid spurts of "elitness" but they are usually marked by long periods of injury. My biggest concern with this guy is an ability to play a 60-65 game season for one year let alone the rest of his career, I have major questions about that.

Kingstonian84* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.