Guys we let go...

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

vCash: 500
Guys we let go...

This thought just popped into my head while watching Hendricks score in the Caps game. It especially stuck because of the recent issues with our 3rd line left wing spot, and having to put Pandolfo in today. Three players the Bruins had who are more than capable third-fourth liners are now filling the same openings on other teams. Hendricks spent some time here, as did Colton Orr and Nate Thompson.

This is more of an observation than anything. Not saying it was a huge mistake letting any of these guys go, or that we need to go out and re-acquire them. But, just looking at the line-up today, I would have preferred having either one of those three playing than Bourque and/or Pandolfo.

Orr can play a bit and throw with anyone. Thompson is a clear upgrade over Bourque at the NHL level for the type of game the Bruins play, and Hendricks can throw a bit and even play some on the top 6 like Campbell.

Just thinking out loud here. I know these guys cost more than Bourque or Pandolfo, but still having one of them would be nice for situations like today where Thornton is sitting out.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:22 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
This thought just popped into my head while watching Hendricks score in the Caps game. It especially stuck because of the recent issues with our 3rd line left wing spot, and having to put Pandolfo in today. Three players the Bruins had who are more than capable third-fourth liners are now filling the same openings on other teams. Hendricks spent some time here, as did Colton Orr and Nate Thompson.

This is more of an observation than anything. Not saying it was a huge mistake letting any of these guys go, or that we need to go out and re-acquire them. But, just looking at the line-up today, I would have preferred having either one of those three playing than Bourque and/or Pandolfo.

Orr can play a bit and throw with anyone. Thompson is a clear upgrade over Bourque at the NHL level for the type of game the Bruins play, and Hendricks can throw a bit and even play some on the top 6 like Campbell.

Just thinking out loud here. I know these guys cost more than Bourque or Pandolfo, but still having one of them would be nice for situations like today where Thornton is sitting out.
I was upset when Thompson left, but at the time (much like now with MacDermid), we didn't have a spot for him.

Biggest let-go of recent times has to be Versteeg ... That one stings a little bit. Didn't like the trade back then certainly don't like it now.

I never pictured Hendricks to get where he is in his career, but good for him. Colton Orr was in the fisticuffs, but Thornton is a much more well-rounded player.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:28 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

We got boychuk for hendricks absolute steal by chia

I wish we still had sobotka over warsofsky not the best deal

Old
03-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

I thought Hendricks walked. My bad haha.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoSturm16 View Post
We got boychuk for hendricks absolute steal by chia

I wish we still had sobotka over warsofsky not the best deal
I'm with you - didn't like the trade then and still don't like it today (as undersized defensemen in the new NHL don't work out 99/100 times). Sobotka brings everything that the Bruins are lacking on third line.

Old
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

If we're talking strictly guys who we let go "walk" ... There's not much to talk about. If we're talking guys whom we lost on waivers (different than "let walk"), Orr and Thompson qualify ...

Sobotka was traded for Warsofsky ... Think the Blues win that one.

Hendricks, as someone else pointed out, was traded for Boychuk. Clear win for us.

Can't really think of any guys who we just "let walk" that have come back to haunt us

Old
03-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Didn't like letting Poo go for Bourque

Old
03-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Theodoriph

Quote:
Orr can play a bit and throw with anyone.

No...no he can't (play I mean). I can't think of any scenario in which the Bruins are a better team because of Colton Orr.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoriph View Post
No...no he can't (play I mean). I can't think of any scenario in which the Bruins are a better team because of Colton Orr.
Against the Sabres with Scott out there taking runs at our goalie? I do not see Orr letting that go.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:30 PM
MioneRask134

Sobotka would be perfect for the 3rd line. Hated that deal when we made it, still hate it now.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Theodoriph

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Against the Sabres with Scott out there taking runs at our goalie? I do not see Orr letting that go.
That might make sense if Colton Orr could, in any way, shape, or form, stop players from taking a run at Rask. But he can't. He didn't stop people from taking a run at Lundqvist. He hasn't stopped people from taking a run at the Leafs goalies.

It's just not something he, or anyone, can do.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
patty59

Interesting choice of players to reflect on

Old
03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

Yeah, I wish we had sobotka back for the third line

Old
03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
That might make sense if Colton Orr could, in any way, shape, or form, stop players from taking a run at Rask. But he can't. He didn't stop people from taking a run at Lundqvist. He hasn't stopped people from taking a run at the Leafs goalies.

It's just not something he, or anyone, can do.
He still would have stepped up and addressed it

Old
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Interesting choice of players to reflect on
Yea, more of a random thought I had than anything else. Was strictly thinking about 4th/fringe 3rd liners. I guess Hendricks is a bit more than that though.

Sobotka trade is still a bad one too, completely agree with whoever mentioned him. He's better than all three guys I brought up.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:11 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Didn't like letting Poo go for Bourque
I was fine with letting Pouliot go as long as Bourque is just keeping the 3rd line LW spot warm for the guy who is going to play there in the playoffs.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Sobotka would be perfect for the 3rd line. Hated that deal when we made it, still hate it now.
This, Sob was one of my favorites. Guys loved him on the team, Blues love him on there team. Theres people that seemed to loathe Sob while he was here . . . He'd look great on the third line.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Know who else would be great on the 3rd line?

Metropolit.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I thought Hendricks walked. My bad haha.
I like where you are at with this. Boston would be wise to keep Paille- a legit quality third line player on the wing with Kelly & Peverley, Rather than overpay for a rental instead go get Hendricks or a vereran character player who will make it tough for defenseman to play against.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:50 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
This.

For some reason, Vladdy could never find his niche on this team. We have a spot for him now that he is gone.

We need a third line winger, right now.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Son of Donegal

Keep in mind, regarding SOB...Ryder was that guy on the 3rd line and we got the cup. The Blues are still battling for a solid playoff spot.

Don't look at individual deals like SOB. Chia has always made the moves he has needed to and he has maneuvered the cap to keep this team super competitive. Get over it the individual deals and focus on the team depth. If you do that, you can sleep like a little baby at night.

That being said, it should be interesting to see how things go with trades coming up. Chia has never been as adamant about improving the team.

If I was Chia, I would skip Alfredson and Briere and go after Jamie McGinn of COL for our 3rd line. He plays like SOB but has a more refined offensive game (12 pts with COL). I loved watching him with the 67's. Tough like a badger and hard to move off the puck. Good hands in close...and <2mill in salary.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:15 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

This thread makes me want to punch myself in the throat so I pass out and can't read it anymore...

Old
03-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Not sure Tim Thomas counts... But assuming he doesn't, I can't honestly say that I'm all too penitent about any player we've seen leave in recent years.

A couple of guys I like and liked. Some I have a lot of respect for. But nothing that hurts me at all.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:21 PM
fireworks

Quote:
Orr can definitely play on a 4th line and be a smart,productive,tough sob.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
This thread makes me want to punch myself in the throat so I pass out and can't read it anymore...
Don't read it then. Like I said, random thought I had watching the Caps about some good depth guys the B's used to have, given the whine-fest over Pandolfo and Bourque I thought it'd be a good conversation. Never did I say that they should go out and re-acquire any of them or that they were foolish for letting any of them walk. Just an observation I made. I guess instead I'll go make the twentieth thread about Seguin needing to battle more, or how Bourque isn't working.

Thanks for the excellent contribution.

Closed Thread