Notices

Often Imitated but unlikely Duplicated

Old
03-03-2013, 08:32 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Often Imitated but unlikely Duplicated

If there was a real Doc Emmett Brown with a souped-up zamboni that could time travel back to say... the 1976-1977 Bruins training camp, the two current players I'd like have walk out of the steam and fog and into Don Cherry's bewildered view would be Marchand and Lucic. Marty aka Michael J Fox was a childhood friend of the current Bruins President so it would probably be any easy thing to pull off. The composition of those Cherry Lunch Pail teams could moreso use Chara and Hamilton on defense- their one major flaw, but no way they could both make the trip due to space constraints- although looking at Cherry's and everyone else's face if you could ever see their reactions to the big Boston duo defense skating out on the ice like out of Field of Dreams cornfield.

But Marchand could either sit on Lucic lap or in some compartment....

crazy talk of course but the jist is in a less structured league with a little bit of Wild West to it, these two in that environment with THAT coach would be something to see.

But back to present day reality....this same position duo both selected in the same draft after the first round is a pretty unique pair. There is no indifference to them- you hate them, you like them, but you watch them.

There approaches are as different as their size and shapes, skills and styles.

Lucic is playing consistently meaner/edgier/nastier with that 'dont bleep with me attitutude' than since his time here. His hands have always been underrated, and his overall skills are very good- his achillies has been- well, about that area- moving the boots.

Marchand I don't even know where to start but I'll end with if he can stay at this on-ice level of discipline there is no telling what he is capable of because he keeps blowing my views out of the water.

sports has always been a copycat way and more and more I am reading about finding the next Milan Lucic, or now its Brad Marchand. Boston is lucky to have both. I watched the Habs-Pens tilt last night and Brendan Gallagher got a lot of ice time and a lot of coverage and I'm pretty jacked to watch him tonight (ironically, I believe but am not sure he is very good friends with Lucic and Craig Cunningham- really like him as well- and his dad may even train them but not sure) as their version of a feisty/talented PIA. I hope he is all that for entertainment and rivalry sake- vanilla is good on apple pie but not in the NHL and especially not in Montreal if you are a Bruins fan that wants some hate going both ways.

Still it would have been interesting to see these two playing with a lot of rope back in that era for Don Cherry's rumble and tumble bunch. Likely the rope may have ended around their necks more than once but it would have been something to watch.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:45 AM
bwunderlich

Thanks DKH!! Love your Sunday morning journeys through memory lane and then linked to the present. Keep up the good work!! Tonight should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
If there was a real Doc Emmett Brown with a souped-up zamboni that could time travel back to say... the 1976-1977 Bruins training camp, the two current players I'd like have walk out of the steam and fog and into Don Cherry's bewildered view would be Marchand and Lucic. Marty aka Michael J Fox was a childhood friend of the current Bruins President so it would probably be any easy thing to pull off. The composition of those Cherry Lunch Pail teams could moreso use Chara and Hamilton on defense- their one major flaw, but no way they could both make the trip due to space constraints- although looking at Cherry's and everyone else's face if you could ever see their reactions to the big Boston duo defense skating out on the ice like out of Field of Dreams cornfield.

But Marchand could either sit on Lucic lap or in some compartment....

crazy talk of course but the jist is in a less structured league with a little bit of Wild West to it, these two in that environment with THAT coach would be something to see.

But back to present day reality....this same position duo both selected in the same draft after the first round is a pretty unique pair. There is no indifference to them- you hate them, you like them, but you watch them.

There approaches are as different as their size and shapes, skills and styles.

Lucic is playing consistently meaner/edgier/nastier with that 'dont bleep with me attitutude' than since his time here. His hands have always been underrated, and his overall skills are very good- his achillies has been- well, about that area- moving the boots.

Marchand I don't even know where to start but I'll end with if he can stay at this on-ice level of discipline there is no telling what he is capable of because he keeps blowing my views out of the water.

sports has always been a copycat way and more and more I am reading about finding the next Milan Lucic, or now its Brad Marchand. Boston is lucky to have both. I watched the Habs-Pens tilt last night and Brendan Gallagher got a lot of ice time and a lot of coverage and I'm pretty jacked to watch him tonight (ironically, I believe but am not sure he is very good friends with Lucic and Craig Cunningham- really like him as well- and his dad may even train them but not sure) as their version of a feisty/talented PIA. I hope he is all that for entertainment and rivalry sake- vanilla is good on apple pie but not in the NHL and especially not in Montreal if you are a Bruins fan that wants some hate going both ways.

Still it would have been interesting to see these two playing with a lot of rope back in that era for Don Cherry's rumble and tumble bunch. Likely the rope may have ended around their necks more than once but it would have been something to watch.

bwunderlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Open Ice

Who would have gotten the pink slips on that 76-77 team for Lucic and Marchand?

Someday, when Google invents time travel, maybe we'll see things like "all-Bruins teams vs. all-Canadians teams." Or, retired numbers vs. retired numbers

I see Lucic having to play with some real restraint in his game so as not to draw penalties and yet he's still a force out there. There are times when he seems to get caught flat footed, but when he skates and throws weight, it's as if he's always creating offense. I didn't get a good look at him getting clipped toward the end of the game yesterday. I wondered if he sold it by lying there for a bit to make sure people knew he wasn't trying to interfere with the goalie. It's too bad he has to play games at that level and can't just be a mass of energy out there changing the game.

You know you're a hockey junkie when you crave an uptick in hate between you and your rival!

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
Who would have gotten the pink slips on that 76-77 team for Lucic and Marchand?
Dave Forbes and Matti Hagman. Looch would have been unstoppable on the forecheck in the old Garden.

For DKH, that team didn't win it after the 76/77 because we let Mark Howe go to the Hartford Whalers. Houston folded after the 77 season. The B's held his NHL rights. The family wanted Mark and Marty has a package deal. Supposedly, Detroit wanted our 1st for Marty and he wasn't considered a prospect at all. Deal fell apart. Ironically, Marty ended up playing for us a few years later 82/83 and having a decent year. 78 GP and a plus 21. 1G 11A

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:57 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Lucic is playing with more consistancy ( both physically and offensively ) than we've seen from him. It's good to see the new contract and baby havent dulled his hunger... And a great point DKH on his increased meaner side. Love the angry Lucic.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:16 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
Dave Forbes and Matti Hagman. Looch would have been unstoppable on the forecheck in the old Garden.

For DKH, that team didn't win it after the 76/77 because we let Mark Howe go to the Hartford Whalers. Houston folded after the 77 season. The B's held his NHL rights. The family wanted Mark and Marty has a package deal. Supposedly, Detroit wanted our 1st for Marty and he wasn't considered a prospect at all. Deal fell apart. Ironically, Marty ended up playing for us a few years later 82/83 and having a decent year. 78 GP and a plus 21. 1G 11A
They didn't let Mark Howe go. He said he would have come to Boston, but wanted to go play with his father.

Howe went to Hartford.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:45 AM
doc5hole

Good one No. 4. Even though Hagman was a center, he was already splitting time as the 12th forward mainly with Bucyk. So that takes one guy out of the lineup and Forbes (1 assist in those playoffs) is your other. Forbes had the best speed on the team, so Cherry liked him as a checker. Cashman often slid over to RW on Sheppard's line in that era, so he's over there on this chart based on Game 4 of the finals vs. Montreal at the Garden:

1977 playoffs
LW ...................... C ................... RW

21 Marcotte ... 10 Ratelle ....... 11 Schmautz
14 Forbes ...... 19 Sheppard .... 12 Cashman (C)
17 Jonathan .... 8 McNab ........ 24 O'Reilly
18 Wensink ... 28 Hagman (8GP) 16 Middleton
9 Bucyk (5GP) ....................... 27 Anderson (2GP)
(Nifty debuted with that great performance vs. Minn., but watching the '77 finals on DVD he barely got off the bench.)

LD ................. RD
(never more than 5 D dressed, so 12 fwds)
26 Milbury ......... 22 Park
23 R. Smith ....... 25 Doak (top 4 played almost every playoff game)
20 Sims/6 Edestrand ... 29 Halward (bottom guys split 11 GP)

G: 30 Cheevers / 1 Gilbert

The other guy I really would have like to have seen in this era would be Bergeron. IMO he has the glue-like game that would translate well onto that team.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote