HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

A game so bad, it didn't get called for gloving the puck. Jests lose.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 07:21 PM
  #76
TroubaFan1
Registered User
 
TroubaFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
  #77
razorsedge
Registered User
 
razorsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Sask, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 50
Wins some lose some. I'll gladly take a loss after every 3 win streak.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
  #78
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.
I'm getting kind of annoyed with "the crowd sucks" stuff. (Not signalling you out however)
I'm at every game and I assure you its not a lack of desire to be rowdy that's the issue. Frankly, the team has been bad at home this year. We have an educated fan base that doesn't mindlessly cheer when the score board tells us to. When there's a bad break the crowd doesn't get down on the team, but when the team plays like today it's tough to be loud. I'm not gonna scream and yell for poor effort.

Honeymoon is over. We expect effort. I'm not gonna reserve my cheering for winning, but if you don't show up on the ice, I'm not losing my voice. When the team gives and A effort, they'll get an A+ crowd.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:34 PM
  #79
TroubaFan1
Registered User
 
TroubaFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I'm getting kind of annoyed with "the crowd sucks" stuff. (Not signalling you out however)
I'm at every game and I assure you its not a lack of desire to be rowdy that's the issue. Frankly, the team has been bad at home this year. We have an educated fan base that doesn't mindlessly cheer when the score board tells us to. When there's a bad break the crowd doesn't get down on the team, but when the team plays like today it's tough to be loud. I'm not gonna scream and yell for poor effort.

Honeymoon is over. We expect effort. I'm not gonna reserve my cheering for winning, but if you don't show up on the ice, I'm not losing my voice. When the team gives and A effort, they'll get an A+ crowd.
The game was tied for half the game and the crowd was still dead. We out shot them 15-5 in the first and there was no A+ crowd thats forsure.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
  #80
Aries56
Registered User
 
Aries56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Wins some lose some. I'll gladly take a loss after every 3 win streak.
Exactly. Can't expect to win every game. Especially with such a young team. I admit it was a tough one to watch, but it's all apart of having an NHL team.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:38 PM
  #81
cctyler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
The game was tied for half the game and the crowd was still dead. We out shot them 15-5 in the first and there was no A+ crowd thats forsure.
Seems to be the trend for these saturday afternoon games and i can somewhat understand why.

cctyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:53 PM
  #82
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I'm pretty choked about my man Tony P.
I really liked what he brought to the line up, Noel mentioned weeks, hopefully he won't miss too much time.
I'm worried he'll lose his spot. Not cause he did something wrong rather after a few weeks its easy to forget that he was more than a goon.
Either way this game sucked and I will never speak of it again.

Get well Tony P.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure Chevy and Noel have liked what they have seen so far. He is also big and as tough as nails and Chevy really likes that. Being able to actually play is a huge bonus. I expect Peluso to be around for awhile.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
  #83
EpicGingy
Registered User
 
EpicGingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
The game was tied for half the game and the crowd was still dead. We out shot them 15-5 in the first and there was no A+ crowd thats forsure.
Probably because none of the shots were particularly dangerous and the game was incredibly boring to watch. There wasn't much to get excited about, even when the game was tied, except for Pavelec's great saves and Peluso's fight.

EpicGingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
  #84
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
I wonder if he broke a finger while crushing the top of Volpatti's head, when he went down?
If I were to bet, I'd say it was the first shot he landed. That was one heck of a punch to be landing on somebody's bucket.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:11 PM
  #85
thed00d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.
I disagree. The crowd was there, the team didn't give them much to cheer for.
Was a lackluster effort overall. Can hardly blame the fans for the outcome...c'mon man!

thed00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:12 PM
  #86
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,470
vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.
Afternoon games seem to bring the quiet and reserved to Jets games.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:13 PM
  #87
TroubaFan1
Registered User
 
TroubaFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thed00d View Post
I disagree. The crowd was there, the team didn't give them much to cheer for.
Was a lackluster effort overall. Can hardly blame the fans for the outcome...c'mon man!
Just sounds like excuses to me...c'mon man!

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
  #88
ps241
2.6% chance
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,025
vCash: 50
Thud


Oh well the upside is I gave away my tickets to my father in law so I missed the game today

You win some you lose some and the important thing is to not go into a skid right now. if we can get 2 of the 3 games in Florida I will be really happy!

GJG

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
  #89
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
Probably because none of the shots were particularly dangerous and the game was incredibly boring to watch. There wasn't much to get excited about, even when the game was tied, except for Pavelec's great saves and Peluso's fight.
IMO part of the reason for quieter crowds for afternoon games is the same reason the washroom lines are 1/2 as long. Also there are a higher % of kids. I know taking my kid to the game, rather than going with my brother or buddy I'm not nearly as loud. That and the Jets didn't do much to excite the crowd.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
  #90
thed00d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
Just sounds like excuses to me...c'mon man!
Im not trying to make excuses, but blaming the fans isn't right.

thed00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:18 PM
  #91
TroubaFan1
Registered User
 
TroubaFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thed00d View Post
Im not trying to make excuses, but blaming the fans isn't right.
Where did I blame the fans?

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:25 PM
  #92
ps241
2.6% chance
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubaFan1 View Post
The team was pathetic, the crowd was pathetic, the only people who showed up today was Peluso and Pavelec.
I would like to add that our PGT is a bit pathetic tonight as well...only 4 pages so far with really soft complaining by our normal PGT suicide watch, sky is falling, trade everyone away standards.......we have very little edge tonight and seem lethargic

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:27 PM
  #93
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Afternoon games seem to bring the quiet and reserved to Jets games.
Not only that but it seems to bring quiet and reserved teams as well. The afternoon Devils game I went to last year was luckily myself and a good friend started double ******* in the first and had a good time regardless of the very slow play and loss.

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  #94
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,415
vCash: 500
Real disappointed. I managed to snag both tickets to this game in my ticket draft, so my brother flew in from Edmonton for his first ever Jets 2.0 game at MTS Centre. Not only did the Jets lay an absolute dud, we had the WORST most ignorant stupidest fan I have ever heard sitting behind us, spewing all the worst 1290 caller stereotypes all game pretending he understands a single thing about the game of hockey. Not a great experience. Too bad.

I don't mean to continue to rag on Peluso, but can someone tell me what Peluso getting himself hurt helped us with? We spend the next 5 minutes pinned on our zone, and had to go down to 3 lines when combined with the Wheeler injury. Awesome. Nobody gives a **** about a couple of plugs fighting, no matter who is the better fighter. Play the game of hockey. A fight like Ladd versus whoever in that scrum that erupted from emotion might have been interesting, two guys fighting just to fight to justify their jobs in Peluso and Volpatti is just stupid.

Pavelec was great today though. What a game. Few other players showed up (Tangradi was solid as well maybe), so he had to try to do it by himself. He plays like that every game and we will make playoffs, team will not be that bad very often, IMO.

__________________


Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:03 PM
  #95
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,054
vCash: 50
It's sweet that Peluso won the fight, because it shows he can win when it's needed, but honestly... there was no need or help from that fight.

I agree with Holden. He took a risk for no reason and it bit him back. It's same as some of the Thorburn fights this year. They were for no good.

Unless there's a legit good reason for the fight (examples: defend a player needing defending, good tradeoff in suckering their top player, etc), it's dumb so don't do it.

Staged fights don't help win games in any shape or form.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:05 PM
  #96
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 314
Pavelec has looked so much better the last few weeks. He finally seems to be anticipating plays going east-west rather than getting caught flat footed. High glove side is still his kryptonite, but he's doing an excellent job handling those low shots.

If he can somehow sustain that level of play for the entire season, I'll feel much better about his contract.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:09 PM
  #97
Duir
Registered Bunk
 
Duir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It's sweet that Peluso won the fight, because it shows he can win when it's needed, but honestly... there was no need or help from that fight.

I agree with Holden. He took a risk for no reason and it bit him back. It's same as some of the Thorburn fights this year. They were for no good.

Unless there's a legit good reason for the fight (examples: defend a player needing defending, good tradeoff in suckering their top player, etc), it's dumb so don't do it.

Staged fights don't help win games in any shape or form.
Totally disagree. I thought it was a good decision and should have helped spark the bench. He belted the hell out of his opponent and the bench didn't respond. This is a part of his exact role and he did it well. I honestly get tired of the criticism; he did his job and it was up to the team to respond, which they didn't. Lay blame there as there is plenty to go around in today's game.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
  #98
Damascus
Registered User
 
Damascus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It's sweet that Peluso won the fight, because it shows he can win when it's needed, but honestly... there was no need or help from that fight.

I agree with Holden. He took a risk for no reason and it bit him back. It's same as some of the Thorburn fights this year. They were for no good.

Unless there's a legit good reason for the fight (examples: defend a player needing defending, good tradeoff in suckering their top player, etc), it's dumb so don't do it.

Staged fights don't help win games in any shape or form.
I disagree too. I was wired as **** after that fight and had I been playing, I would have danced around them Caps.

But seriously, the bench should have been energized but they weren't.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
  #99
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,054
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Totally disagree. I thought it was a good decision and should have helped spark the bench. He belted the hell out of his opponent and the bench didn't respond. This is a part of his exact role and he did it well. I honestly get tired of the criticism; he did his job and it was up to the team to respond, which they didn't. Lay blame there as there is plenty to go around in today's game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
I disagree too. I was wired as **** after that fight and had I been playing, I would have danced around them Caps.

But seriously, the bench should have been energized but they weren't.
The question is:
How does the fight inspire one bench more than the other?


EDIT:
I think of it along the lines of pulling the goalie.
It's a risk/reward type move; I guess we can always argue over greyscales and that guess I'm guilty of the ol' hindsight is 20/20.
In the end the whole belief that it only benefits one side is erroneous.


Last edited by garret9: 03-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.
garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
  #100
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 50
I'm torn on this issue to some extent.

I think many here agree that there is appropriate times to fight, and that fighting isn't automatically a bad thing.
Do I think Peluso fighting in that spot was a good call? Maybe not. He seems to be a player for us. Not a stud by any means but a guy that is useful to have available.

I don't necessarily think the fight itself was a bad decision. The Jets were flat up until that point and I believe a fight can energize a bench. Seeing a teammate battle out there can wake guys up and have their compete level boosted. I think perhaps had Thorburn tossed knuckles there I would have preferred the fight. (That said Thorburn would have just gotten dummied and thats never good.)

I do think that part of the problem lies in the way the team reacted after that fight. I noticed the next couple of shifts that the washington players had more jump, while we didn't seem to respond.

All in all, I'm not gonna criticize Peluso, because frankly I rarely do. He's a hard nose player that I'm assuming thought he could provide a boost to his team. Did it work? No. Would he do it again? Most likely. And I'm fine with that. I view the fight as a way for him to try and spark the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
The question is:
How does the fight inspire one bench more than the other?
Evidently it did. And that is part of the problem. I think the Caps to some extent rallied around the fact that Volpatti stepped up and fought a bigger guy. Their compete level increased, so I would say they were inspired.
The Jets clearly didn't respond to the fact that a teammate of their put his body on the line to try and spark them. Thats sucks.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.