HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 7, Canadiens 6

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Still say its a must we do not trade Depsres, no matter how many d prospects we have. Trade Orpik or Nisky if you're looking to make a hockey trade for a winger
only way you move Despres is if you are getting a really good young wing who is under control for a while coming back.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Pancakes

I thought our defense was porous but we played with a lot of intensity which is nice. It's sorta bizarre how under Therrien we'd play defensively responsible but with little intensity but under Bylsma we play with a ton of battle level but play no defense. I'm not so sure which is better.

I really liked the secondary scoring in this one. Lately it's felt like if Sid doesn't put up three or four points we don't win. Well today he still was his usual Sid self but the secondary scoring was there in droves. Nice to see.

Old
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

+Sid
+Kunitz
+Sutter
+Cooke

=Neal
=Letang

----------------Vokoun
-----------------------------Orpik
---TK

-to Bylsma. PLAY BB FOR MORE THAN 10 ******* MINUTES PER GAME. The hell is the point in having him and not playing him??? Matt Cooke had double the fricken ice time.

Old
76ftw

Okay uhmmm can we all agree to pretend that one never happened?

Good game, even though both teams are rivals I can't help but like the Pens and even Crosby

Good game gents. (sort of?)

Old
03-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

+ people complaining about Cooke being with Sutter instead of Bennett. Cooke and Sutter combine for 4 goals

Old
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

There are not enough negative adjectives in the English language to convey how disastrous Orpik was today. I don't know if he felt left out, having not been culpable on any of the goals in Florida or Carolina, but he sure took revenge today.
Letang was equally to blame on 1½ goals in the first periods, but otherwise made up for it later, despite being on the ice for five of them... five...

Kennedy was horrid also.
Vokoun.... I don't like the first goal, and you want your goalie to not allow six in any case (he had a couple of great ones also), but just like in Florida and with MAF at Carolina, this is much less about goaltending than it is about absolutely terrible defense around the crease area.
Niskanen had a handful of ill judged passes off the wall straight to Habs players, and he is lucky he wasn't burned for it on the score sheet, but otherwise he was OK.

Sutter, Cooke, Crosby, Kunitz, Despres were all awesome. Bennett and Engelland were good. Eaton quiet but dependable. Dupuis playing his third wheel part well.

Heart attack game. Probably fun for the neutrals, but I just cannot get over the fact that we have let in.... 13 goals in or around the blue paint in three games. It is just unconscionable.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
ONE MORE THING: This was a 'fun' game to watch, but it was fun in the way those early April 6-5 games were last year. All the red flags were there, and it wasn't just goaltending, not by a long shot.
KIRK, here's my argument against that buddy.

Carolina? You could call it a bad defensive performance, because Fleury had to make a ton of great saves AND allowed 4 goals.

I look at a game like tonight, and Vokoun made what, 2 saves of note? The one of Ryder and the one off Pacioretty on the PP?

The D wasn't stellar by any means, but man oh man I'm seeing way too many games where teams are scoring on practically every "scoring chance" they get.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post

-to Bylsma. PLAY BB FOR MORE THAN 10 ******* MINUTES PER GAME. The hell is the point in having him and not playing him??? Matt Cooke had double the fricken ice time.
and two goals. Matt Cooke is currently substantially better at NHL hockey than Beau Bennett.

Old
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Have to agree there. There's absolutely no reason at all for that kid to sit again.

No sarcasm here. The Habs are structured like crazy, but for the most part the Pens offense was picking them apart in the offensive zone. This was as close to "Penguins Hockey" (what it's SUPPOSED to mean) as I've seen in a while.

And you know what? Therrien has grown up. He's yukking it up right now with the media. I can imagine his reaction a few years ago to a game like this.
I'm guessing it has something to do with his team still sitting in a good position in the standings combined with being down 4-2 and still managing to get a point out of a game which they probably would have lost in regulation had they been playing any other team in the NHL.

Old
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I don't know, I didn't see anyone play an entire shift with their stick upside down.

What if he was holding his stick correctly, but everyone else had theirs upside down?

Old
66-29-33

+ Kunitz for tieing Vanek in points. Kunitz is tied 3rd in NHL points race.

Old
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post

Good game, even though both teams are rivals I can't help but like the Pens and even Crosby

Haha, it was a trip, for sure. Maybe some foreshadowing for the playoffs? I would love a MTL - PIT series!

Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

+ Crosby
+ Sutter
+ Kunitz
+ Bennett
+ Cooke
+ Despres (why the hell was he benched, Bylsma?)

= Bylsma for splitting Letang and Orpik late in the game to give Letang his confidence back
= Neal (not a bad game, but still)
= Shero looking at his phone during the game; probably not something to get excited over but we can all speculate until more info comes out (if any)

- Vokoun: gives up 6 goals and still gets a win because the other goalie played uncharacteristically worse

-- Orpik
-- Kennedy

Old
03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
KIRK, here's my argument against that buddy.

Carolina? You could call it a bad defensive performance, because Fleury had to make a ton of great saves AND allowed 4 goals.

I look at a game like tonight, and Vokoun made what, 2 saves of note? The one of Ryder and the one off Pacioretty on the PP?

The D wasn't stellar by any means, but man oh man I'm seeing way too many games where teams are scoring on practically every "scoring chance" they get.
I agree. I feel like the Pens dominated this game, but that domination was totally undone by Vokoun, Orpik, and Kennedy (to a smaller, yet still annoying, degree).

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
I'm guessing it has something to do with his team still sitting in a good position in the standings combined with being down 4-2 and still managing to get a point out of a game which they probably would have lost in regulation had they been playing any other team in the NHL.
because, you know, we are one of the worst teams in the NHL? No, that's not right at all.

Old
WarriorScholar

Quote:

Pens like taking teams into time travel to the 90s. It's becoming the norm.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Have to agree there. There's absolutely no reason at all for that kid to sit again.

No sarcasm here. The Habs are structured like crazy, but for the most part the Pens offense was picking them apart in the offensive zone. This was as close to "Penguins Hockey" (what it's SUPPOSED to mean) as I've seen in a while.

And you know what? Therrien has grown up. He's yukking it up right now with the media. I can imagine his reaction a few years ago to a game like this.
The Habs are structured, and Therrien has grown up, but one thing that hasn't changed with Therrien is that he won't adjust a ******* thing either.

I actually called this outcome before the game. Pens would win, and all would be proclaimed well. It was a fun game to watch. The win is nice. But, IMO, there's zero difference between this and last April's high scoring games.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
+ people complaining about Cooke being with Sutter instead of Bennett. Cooke and Sutter combine for 4 goals
And again, I will still argue that Cooke is extremely undervalued. The guy has a great hockey IQ.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The Habs are structured, and Therrien has grown up, but one thing that hasn't changed with Therrien is that he won't adjust a ******* thing either.

I actually called this outcome before the game. Pens would win, and all would be proclaimed well. It was a fun game to watch. The win is nice. But, IMO, there's zero difference between this and last April's high scoring games.
is anybody doing that?

Old
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

-----Bob Cole.

Dear lord.

Old
SaturdayNightSlegr

+ 87, 9, 14, 24 obvious
+ 16 solid; just solid. Sign him for 5y+ as the 3L center. Its like Jordan Staal except without the 2nd-overall hype so no one complains about him and he's cheaper.
+ 18 Nealer actually looked decent away from the puck.. He contributed to both Cooke goals even though he didn't get an assist
+ 47 What a play in OT! No more scratches please.
+ Beating the top team in the east; and one of the best defensive teams and goalies by lighting them up for 7 goals.

+ 19 BB was the Pens most creative forward this game with the puck other than Sid. The important thing to do is bench him for the 2nd half of the game even though he had a solid first half.

= 4 Totally fine with him as our 6th D. He gets the job done and won't get worse by being put in and out of the lineup; and getting limited minutes. Unlike 5 and 41.

= 58 Got some points but nowhere near Norris-like. Still he made some great plays with the skating offensively and defensively. I think the fact that montreal plays a less physical game vs. him really helped though

- 48 Makes turnovers, can't make a 5-foot pass, takes the bad-angle shot when a wide open easy pass is there. Also can't seem to separate anyone from the puck or win a board battle. But he did have that one backcheck to stop an odd-man break; which worked out since he's the one who turned the puck over in the first place....

- Team Defense around net; esp. low slot coverage. I don't care who the goalie is, you won't win a playoff series allowing so many open opportunities within 5 feet of the crease. Vokoun was shaky of course but this is the root of the problem. Main culprits here are 44, 58, and 2. Come back soon Paul Martin.

Old
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

This pretty much sums up this game and the penguins under the "coaching" of the disco dolt....

Old
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
WarriorScholar

Define Irony : Orpik's interview after last loss followed up with his performance tonight.

Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:

it was a bad game all around when it comes to defensive hockey. neither team played well defensively. Price had an uncharacteristically bad game. it'll be interesting to see all the people on the fence in debating his elite status jump over to the "not elite" side of the argument impulsively.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
And again, I will still argue that Cooke is extremely undervalued. The guy has a great hockey IQ.
absolutely. he should send the puck from every goal he scores to ottawa's owner

Closed Thread