HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 7, Canadiens 6

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 10:18 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
and two goals. Matt Cooke is currently substantially better at NHL hockey than Beau Bennett.
Guess we'll never know since Bylsma is never going to play him. I'll disagree, he had one real nice goal and one that was a softy by Price. Give BB the opportunity and he will prove he's a good player. He is doing everything right when he is on the ice, you know, the one shift per period he does get.

Old
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Haha, it was a trip, for sure. Maybe some foreshadowing for the playoffs? I would love a MTL - PIT series!
If it was a trip, it was some wild drug. I don't think I could handle at least four games of that haha.

Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

+Sid

+Sutter

+Despres

+Letang 4 points. More under Bylsma's minus

-Voukoun

-Bylsma--see #949 in the gameday thread http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...364409&page=38.

The habs killed Letang (and the rest of the D) with that play all game long. Scored on it about 3 minutes later (Engo was the D that time). Thing is....there's nothing he or they can do about it. He's not doing anything wrong.

The forwards are too high and Montreal fronted them. Every passing lane was closed. Reverse was closed. This isn't on the D.

In the wide-angle CBC broadcast, this becomes blatantly obvious. And it isn't like it's just Neal (though Neal is sometimes outside the zone when the D is being chased). It's responsible players like Dupuis that are way too high. You can actually watch this in action.

If a forward collapses as far as the hashmark--regardless of what's going on, he will turn around and skate back to the blue line.

Crosby is the only forward on the team to whom this does not apply, which makes me believe he's freelancing and the rest of them are doing what the coach wants them to do.

This is not a recipe for winning. It's moronic. If the D gets clean possession for a split second, the forwards all streak for the far blueline with the expectation he can make a 60 foot pass even on the backhand.

New coach is needed.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:19 PM
hctopcheds11

Love Duper ... Great third liner and that line worked today but if anyone honestly thinks HE was the difference in that line today then they must've been watching a different game. I felt like it was just 14 and 87 playing amazing and every time Duper touched the puck all momentum died.

And I'm not ne of those who lays points out how he isn't a capable 1st liner. He has his games where he looks it but man, I thought he was awful tonight and was just bailed out by his line mates.

Orpik is bad and stretch passes were as annoying as ever.

And why is it illegal to try Bennett with 87 and 14?

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen arcade View Post
-----bob cole.

Dear lord.
daypray!

Old
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
A couple of under the radar items . . .

1. I thought Dangles really showed me something in the physical department. Went into the corners with Slewban, took and gave the hits, and came out with the puck a few times.

2. IMO, this was the most engaged I've seen James Neal all season.

3. If Simon Despres ever-- AND THE KIRK MEANS EVER-- sits again, then Bylsma . . .

4. Matt Niskanen, despite the +3, was NOT good at all, not by a long shot.
Who is Dangles?

Old
WarriorScholar

Quote:
is anybody doing that?
Yeah that's not true at all. Like I said, it's nice to get a win in a game that still shows we need to make a serious move. I don't see anyone saying otherwise. Shero obviously saw this as well.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:20 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintRon View Post
Who is Dangles?
Beau Bennett aka Beau Dangles

Old
03-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Hophog

Quote:
only way you move Despres is if you are getting a really good young wing who is under control for a while coming back.
I'm thinking move Orpik and put our trust in Depres. Orpik probably has a lot of good hockey left in him on a team that relies less on the run and gun style we are asking him to play. I'd imagine other GM's could probably see that he's just not a good fit for our system and still value him pretty highly.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I agree. I feel like the Pens dominated this game, but that domination was totally undone by Vokoun, Orpik, and Kennedy (to a smaller, yet still annoying, degree).
I just find that people are way too dismissive about goaltending sometimes. Seriously, Montreal had what, 8 scoring chances the entire game?

That's why I bring up the Carolina game as an example.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Guess we'll never know since Bylsma is never going to play him. I'll disagree, he had one real nice goal and one that was a softy by Price. Give BB the opportunity and he will prove he's a good player. He is doing everything right when he is on the ice, you know, the one shift per period he does get.
he's playing plenty. it doesn't help that his linemates were pretty rough tonight and deserved to play less. But in a game like that I don't know how you could put BB in over either Cooke or Neal. Both had really good games.

Old
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
daypray!
I liked when he said Cooke had 2 games where he scored 14 goals.

It's not even the gaffes, it's just how he talks and takes forever to say things. His delivery drives me nuts.

Old
hctopcheds11

And FWIW, I thought Despres was the best all around defender for the Pens... Even over Letang who picked up 4 assists.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
I'm thinking move Orpik and put our trust in Depres. Orpik probably has a lot of good hockey left in him on a team that relies less on the run and gun style we are asking him to play. I'd imagine other GM's could probably see that he's just not a good fit for our system and still value him pretty highly.
right, I don't want to move Despres. I'd much rather move Niskanen or Orpik. I'm just saying what it would take to consider it.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
absolutely. he should send the puck from every goal he scores to ottawa's owner
Haha, he could send them to me, I'd probably appreciate them more.

I am actually collecting pucks of influential players (no joke).

Grabbing a few Cooke signed pucks and Martins now too. My kids are young, but those guys make for great inspirational stories. Your fate is ultimately decided by you.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
-----Bob Cole.

Dear lord.
He should have been fired over 10 years ago. He has become beyond awful, there's no way he does his homework before a game. A telemarketer from India has a better chance at getting your name right.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
KIRK, here's my argument against that buddy.

Carolina? You could call it a bad defensive performance, because Fleury had to make a ton of great saves AND allowed 4 goals.

I look at a game like tonight, and Vokoun made what, 2 saves of note? The one of Ryder and the one off Pacioretty on the PP?

The D wasn't stellar by any means, but man oh man I'm seeing way too many games where teams are scoring on practically every "scoring chance" they get.
I'm not talking about the chances tonight. I'm talking about the coverages. How many ******* times did the Habs work the puck to the point for a shot, you see the Pens forwards and defensemen slide up, and nobody notices a Habs player sneaking behind for a rebound? There are different kinds of sloppy. Saying 'well, this wasn't as bad as Carolina's scoring chances misses the point that the coverage breakdowns were there again but the Habs weren't executing off the rush at all and don't have the talent Carolina does to turn blown coverages into scoring chances.

Old
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

I'd sit Orpik for Bortuzzo or maybe even Eaton. A message needs to be sent that there's some sort of accountability for your play.

Old
SidTheKid8787

+we scored 7 goals
-we almost lost

Their structure is really poor. It really doesn't matter if we get great efforts from our defensemen, they are in a position where everynight they get control of the puck deep in our zone and have zero options or just one option to move the puck with zero support if that puck gets turned over. It's firewagon hockey and i can't believe DB loves it so much.

It's like he doesn't know how to teach any other structure.
That, or he's trying to teach them and the players have stopped responding to him. <<<May certainly be a possibilty after watching the discipline part of the Pens take forever to take hold.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I just find that people are way too dismissive about goaltending sometimes. Seriously, Montreal had what, 8 scoring chances the entire game?

That's why I bring up the Carolina game as an example.
I also think Pro-Bylsma people would do well to point out that the team continued to fight back despite Vokoun attempting to rip their souls from their bodies. Impressed with their resilience in this one.

Now... I've praised Despres a lot. Let me do it again: Bylsma was rotating 41/47 based on who he wanted the more physical D against - sitting Despres for Bort for "more physicality".

Despres was our most physical Dman tonight. He should be getting top-4 minutes (with Letang?) and nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. He shouldn't be sat. He shouldn't be sent down. He shouldn't do the hokey pokey and turn himself around. Either play him top-4 minutes or trade him. Anything else is a waste of a super-talented guy.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
joey23

Old
Corsi Close

That game was a stat pad, nothing more. Some good (Letang, Kunitz, Crosby). Some bad (Orpik, Vokoun).

No way you wake up in the morning and feel good about that game.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
I'd sit Orpik for Bortuzzo or maybe even Eaton. A message needs to be sent that there's some sort of accountability for your play.
absolutely. this is a perfect time to start the accountability. he deserves to be sat for that game and sitting a guy wearing an A is quite a statement

Old
KIRK

Quote:
is anybody doing that?
Not yet . . .

And, I can't be 100% with my predictions, otherwise I'd be a psychic.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
absolutely. this is a perfect time to start the accountability. he deserves to be sat for that game and sitting a guy wearing an A is quite a statement
if Orpik watches Monday night from the Press Box, I swear to not ***** about Bylsma for one full month.

Closed Thread