HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 7, Canadiens 6

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I gotta give extra points to Letang (after wanting to shoot him earlier in the game), for simply not accepting to lose in the third period. He was an outright monster in the third.

MPF: You know I agree with you that ultimately goalies cannot allow goals on 60+70 % of the actual scoring chances. But with Fleury in there - perhaps we would have won 5 or 6-4, at best. In these past games we are not just talking about chances. We are talking about gimme's just outside the blue paint with no defenders touching the opposite numbers.

Additionally, I urge everyone to read billybudd's very prescient account of just how warped and counterproductive our outlets are for anything resembling possession hockey and defensive solidity.
The truly great example of how Despres is special AND the outlets are terrible is to see that Despres refuses to blindly throw it up the wall unless absolutely forced to. He looks up and zips a pass to an OPEN forward. Be that low or high, down the wall, down the middle or across the ice. Just like he is OK taking it easy, just shielding of the forechecking forward and reversing to his partner.... and always keeping open for his partner to do the same. There were almost no chances against with Despres on the ice tonight, and most of that is simply that we didn't create the danger ourselves.

So, yes, we need more from Vokoun, but we are going to leak goals no matter who is in net if our overall defensive structure and designs don't change fundamentally.
Habs forwards were sneaking behind the Pens defenders all night. And, what was really wild is that they'd time it for when the shot was coming instead of waiting to see if there was a rebound or where it went.

Plus, imagine if Montreal had the overall talent to make something of all of those 3 on 2 chances tonight (just not talented enough to exploit all those neutral and high offensive zone gifts from the Pens).

Old
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
THAT IS CORRECT, commander. (OT = 65 minutes)

OT lasted what, a minute?

Old
03-02-2013, 10:52 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
OT lasted what, a minute?
52 seconds.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
52 seconds.
we totally just owned him with math.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I just got back from the game, and here are some thoughts...

- I thought we showed a ton of resolve tonight. We were very plucky, despite a number of ugly things that happened in the game that normally lead you to lose games. I'll elaborate below.

- I think Brandon Sutter arrived tonight as our No. 3 center. Not just because he scored twice. He played with a lot of confidence in all three zones. He's always confident defending, but he was very good tonight. He was very Staal-like tonight. A difference-maker.

Now the ugly things (basically 4 of them)...

- First period. We have an offensive-zone face-off. Bylsma chooses line FOUR for some bizarre reason as his line of choice in the offensive zone. Therrien counters with the Plekanec line (which was playing against Sid for most of the first two periods, at least. Plekanec moved to a different line in the third). Well, the predictable thing happened. Prust scored after we did nothing in the offensive zone, and were forced to defend against a much stronger line. That one was ALL on Bylsma. No excuses please.

- Tyler Kennedy's penalties! The first one was worthy of a benching for the rest of the game. Seriously. We're up 4-2, it's late in the period and the Habs were asleep at the wheel. He takes a needless offensive-zone penalty and basically wakes up the entire Bell Centre. Dumb-ass penalty if ever there was one. For good measure, he took another stupid one later in the game. Oh, and did NOTHING else the rest of the night. Jordan Staal created this player. Maybe he wants him as a teammate again?

- Brooks Orpik's icing late in Period 2. There's 10 seconds left in the frickin' period. We're OK at this point, even after the stupid Kennedy penalty that led to the goal just after the PP ended. But then Orpik just needlessly sends the puck to absolutely no one. Icing. There's 7.6 seconds left, and the Habs get not one, but two glorious scoring chances, which is almost impossible with so little time. And sure enough, Subban ties it up with 0.7 seconds left. Unreal. Yes we should have beared down way more in that situation. But none of that is necessary if Orpik uses his brain.

- Lastly, that second Gionta goal. Vokoun CANNOT allow that one. Sid scores and we finally take control of the game again. That puck went straight in, too. You cannot have goaltending like that if you wanna do anything in the postseason. Before that goal, not a lot of blame could have gone Vokoun's way. The defense (specifically the coverage) was piss-poor. But that Gionta goal simply cannot happen. I don't care who is in goal.

Overall, I think Crosby was great. Simon Despres was fantastic. Seriously, why isn't he playing with Letang ALL the time? He's great at everything. Just use him for 22-24 minutes a night. We won't regret it one bit. Sutter played great. Kunitz was outstanding tonight. Letang had a few shaky moments, and still is a bad passer sometimes, but he made an impact in the offensive zone on both Kunitz' second goal, and Crosby's goal. I liked his game tonight, overall.

Dupuis was very quiet tonight. He usually plays great at the Bell Centre. Not tonight, but we didn't need him. Neal was good considering he played largely like a solo act tonight. He got some good scoring chances and was mostly creating his own shot tonight. He was also fairly physical throughout the game. I liked his game. Cooke woke up from the dead tonight, and was fairly good. Pucks to the net, ya never know. He was good tonight. I think both Jeffrey and Bennett could easily play more without too many problems. Jeffrey may have been to blame on the Desharnais goal, but that little 51's hand/eye coordination is great. He scores like that ALL the time. Overall, I thought Jeffrey was good. And Bennett likes to create out there. And he finishes his checks, too. They both do nothing to suggest scratching them. They're ready for more ice time, too.

Matt Niskanen was pretty bad tonight. Hesitant, mistake-prone. Didn't like his game. Orpik was OK early, but he then made some unforgiveable mistakes. I really think he's in serious decline. I'd deal him in a heartbeat while his reputation is still intact. He could easily head down that Mike Komisarek path if we aren't pro-active. Mark Eaton? I didn't notice him at all tonight, which is a good thing. Good first game.

Let's see if they gain momentum from this game. That said, has anything changed, really? The issues we had before tonight were magnified even more...even in victory.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:54 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
This game went to overtime. Perhaps you didn't notice.
The OT period ends once a player scores a goal. Perhaps you didn't notice.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:54 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Oh.

Sorry.

60:52-9.
****, I didn't notice that it was only an extra minute. So, rounding up, the correct answer was not 51 OR 56 but 52.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Saison Marguerite

- Don Cherry basically victim blaming Sid for his concussion during the CC segment of HNIC. Seriously, **** this guy. I just remembered exactly why I don't watch any CBC coverage if I don't have to.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:56 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

everyone must kneel before DEEP RAY!!!

Old
03-02-2013, 10:57 PM
crane

who's the HNIC/Canadiens announcer? Bob Cole?

He always pauses when saying someone's name. "Great hustle by Pascal, Dupuis." "What vision by Sidney, Crosby." I hate it. Minus for him.

Anyway ...

+ Brandon Sutter. I've really liked him this year. Really happy how he's been playing.

= didn't notice Bennett too much but for a rookie in a sloppy game that isn't a bad thing I guess

Old
nhindian

Heard on the radio that Sid hadn't scored a goal in Montreal in regulation before tonight since his first game ever at Montreal, where he scored 2 goals.... in 2006.

Wtf??

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I just got back from the game, and here are some thoughts...

- I thought we showed a ton of resolve tonight. We were very plucky, despite a number of ugly things that happened in the game that normally lead you to lose games. I'll elaborate below.

- I think Brandon Sutter arrived tonight as our No. 3 center. Not just because he scored twice. He played with a lot of confidence in all three zones. He's always confident defending, but he was very good tonight. He was very Staal-like tonight. A difference-maker.

Now the ugly things (basically 4 of them)...

- First period. We have an offensive-zone face-off. Bylsma chooses line FOUR for some bizarre reason as his line of choice in the offensive zone. Therrien counters with the Plekanec line (which was playing against Sid for most of the first two periods, at least. Plekanec moved to a different line in the third). Well, the predictable thing happened. Prust scored after we did nothing in the offensive zone, and were forced to defend against a much stronger line. That one was ALL on Bylsma. No excuses please.

- Tyler Kennedy's penalties! The first one was worthy of a benching for the rest of the game. Seriously. We're up 4-2, it's late in the period and the Habs were asleep at the wheel. He takes a needless offensive-zone penalty and basically wakes up the entire Bell Centre. Dumb-ass penalty if ever there was one. For good measure, he took another stupid one later in the game. Oh, and did NOTHING else the rest of the night. Jordan Staal created this player. Maybe he wants him as a teammate again?

- Brooks Orpik's icing late in Period 2. There's 10 seconds left in the frickin' period. We're OK at this point, even after the stupid Kennedy penalty that led to the goal just after the PP ended. But then Orpik just needlessly sends the puck to absolutely no one. Icing. There's 7.6 seconds left, and the Habs get not one, but two glorious scoring chances, which is almost impossible with so little time. And sure enough, Subban ties it up with 0.7 seconds left. Unreal. Yes we should have beared down way more in that situation. But none of that is necessary if Orpik uses his brain.

- Lastly, that second Gionta goal. Vokoun CANNOT allow that one. Sid scores and we finally take control of the game again. That puck went straight in, too. You cannot have goaltending like that if you wanna do anything in the postseason. Before that goal, not a lot of blame could have gone Vokoun's way. The defense (specifically the coverage) was piss-poor. But that Gionta goal simply cannot happen. I don't care who is in goal.

Overall, I think Crosby was great. Simon Despres was fantastic. Seriously, why isn't he playing with Letang ALL the time? He's great at everything. Just use him for 22-24 minutes a night. We won't regret it one bit. Sutter played great. Kunitz was outstanding tonight. Letang had a few shaky moments, and still is a bad passer sometimes, but he made an impact in the offensive zone on both Kunitz' second goal, and Crosby's goal. I liked his game tonight, overall.

Dupuis was very quiet tonight. He usually plays great at the Bell Centre. Not tonight, but we didn't need him. Neal was good considering he played largely like a solo act tonight. He got some good scoring chances and was mostly creating his own shot tonight. He was also fairly physical throughout the game. I liked his game. Cooke woke up from the dead tonight, and was fairly good. Pucks to the net, ya never know. He was good tonight. I think both Jeffrey and Bennett could easily play more without too many problems. Jeffrey may have been to blame on the Desharnais goal, but that little 51's hand/eye coordination is great. He scores like that ALL the time. Overall, I thought Jeffrey was good. And Bennett likes to create out there. And he finishes his checks, too. They both do nothing to suggest scratching them. They're ready for more ice time, too.

Matt Niskanen was pretty bad tonight. Hesitant, mistake-prone. Didn't like his game. Orpik was OK early, but he then made some unforgiveable mistakes. I really think he's in serious decline. I'd deal him in a heartbeat while his reputation is still intact. He could easily head down that Mike Komisarek path if we aren't pro-active. Mark Eaton? I didn't notice him at all tonight, which is a good thing. Good first game.

Let's see if they gain momentum from this game. That said, has anything changed, really? The issues we had before tonight were magnified even more...even in victory.
Thanks for the writeup Jags. And, to answer your question, no, nothing has changed.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Heard on the radio that Sid hasn't scored a goal in Montreal in regulation since his first game ever at Montreal, where he scored 2 goals.... in 2006.

Wtf??
he certainly changed that tonight

Old
03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
+ some new guy named daypray, he had a whale of a game.
The other announcer, don't know his name, he kept saying daypray too. Weird.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:59 PM
SidTheKid8787

Yep.
Sid has been seriously snake bitten in Montreal. That one probably felt pretty good.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:59 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
he certainly changed that tonight
Oops, yeah forgot to put a "before tonight" in there

Old
03-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
everyone must kneel before DEEP RAY!!!

Seriously, that just looks like a used smurf condom.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:00 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintRon View Post
The other announcer, don't know his name, he kept saying daypray too. Weird.
The color guy was Glenn Healy i believe?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:02 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
BB looked strong versus a smaller Habs team, in terms of the forecheck etc.

I'd love for RS to get his top 6 winger though and dropping Dupuis back to 3rd line duties. BB can then be the 13th forward or send him back to WBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I gotta give extra points to Letang (after wanting to shoot him earlier in the game), for simply not accepting to lose in the third period. He was an outright monster in the third.

MPF: You know I agree with you that ultimately goalies cannot allow goals on 60+70 % of the actual scoring chances. But with Fleury in there - perhaps we would have won 5 or 6-4, at best. In these past games we are not just talking about chances. We are talking about gimme's just outside the blue paint with no defenders touching the opposite numbers.

Additionally, I urge everyone to read billybudd's very prescient account of just how warped and counterproductive our outlets are for anything resembling possession hockey and defensive solidity.
The truly great example of how Despres is special AND the outlets are terrible is to see that Despres refuses to blindly throw it up the wall unless absolutely forced to. He looks up and zips a pass to an OPEN forward. Be that low or high, down the wall, down the middle or across the ice. Just like he is OK taking it easy, just shielding of the forechecking forward and reversing to his partner.... and always keeping open for his partner to do the same. There were almost no chances against with Despres on the ice tonight, and most of that is simply that we didn't create the danger ourselves.

So, yes, we need more from Vokoun, but we are going to leak goals no matter who is in net if our overall defensive structure and designs don't change fundamentally.
TR, that lends more to the "Hal Gill" effect than anything.

Guys like Orpik and Engelland don't have the instinct to do anything more than "OMG CLEAR THE PUCK RIGHT NOW!!!" You could argue it's structural, but I could also argue that there are guys alone in the middle of the ice that these guys are too scared to make a pass to.

I'll concede on the coaching as long as people start admitting that we do have a ton of **** for brains on this team.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
The color guy was Glenn Healy i believe?
Kelly Hrudey, I think.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:03 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Eaton was solid, which is good, but I also hope we never have to see him again. It's nice to know he's there, though.

I'd like to see Zatkoff called up and given a start in the next couple weeks.
Zatkoff is waiver eligible, so if they bring him up he'll have to clear waivers to go back down... and I doubt he'll clear waivers.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:04 PM
BeauKnows19

Despres is playing better every game, and Deserves to not only play, but be given a fair amount of minutes. Even when he just plays with Engelland, he's not getting all his potential. I would rather see him with Letang than Niskanen. Nisky only looks good because Letang generates offense, so Nisky ends up with a plus. But I feel like Nisky makes as many if not more mistakes than Despres, so it just makes sense to play the rookie who will learn from them, and is not even close to his potential yet.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:04 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
absolutely. he should send the puck from every goal he scores to ottawa's owner
If Matt Cooke could dial up his jerk-o-meter about halfway to what he was before he went docile, he'd be the perfect, perfect playoff player.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
turd

Sutter is a better player than Staal, and there's nothing anyone can say that'll make me feel otherwise.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
TR, that lends more to the "Hal Gill" effect than anything.

Guys like Orpik and Engelland don't have the instinct to do anything more than "OMG CLEAR THE PUCK RIGHT NOW!!!" You could argue it's structural, but I could also argue that there are guys alone in the middle of the ice that these guys are too scared to make a pass to.

I'll concede on the coaching as long as people start admitting that we do have a ton of **** for brains on this team.
Tonight, Orpik had a wide open forward right up the middle, it would have led to at the very least a shot on goal, instead Orpik led the forward (I think it was Neal, but I can't recall exactly) way too much, missed him completely and the puck went right on goal to Price, who easily cleared the zone.

I would suggest that PART of Orpik's problem is he's not playing within his own limitations. He's not keeping his game simple at all. He's complicating matters, to his own detriment as well as the team.

Closed Thread