HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus-Minus Thread | Penguins 7, Canadiens 6

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Tellmeister

vCash: 500
How do you pronounce Despres?

Old
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Sutter is a better player than Staal, and there's nothing anyone can say that'll make me feel otherwise.
Now we're just being silly.

Old
Malkin112

Quote:
Sutter is a better player than Staal, and there's nothing anyone can say that'll make me feel otherwise.
not even close

Old
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
If Matt Cooke could dial up his jerk-o-meter about halfway to what he was before he went docile, he'd be the perfect, perfect playoff player.
Yeah, I can do without the dirty hits, but would it kill him to slash a guy on the back of his leg where there's no padding or face wash somebody once in a while?

Old
03-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Pancakes

For all the massive amount of Jordan Staal threads we used to have, it's weird to see how little love Sutter has been getting so far. Kids a beast. Great two-way player, wins draws, scores some timely goals. He's such an ideal third line center. He's been a beautiful fit here so far, and I feel like he's only getting more and more comfortable every game now.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
TR, that lends more to the "Hal Gill" effect than anything.

Guys like Orpik and Engelland don't have the instinct to do anything more than "OMG CLEAR THE PUCK RIGHT NOW!!!" You could argue it's structural, but I could also argue that there are guys alone in the middle of the ice that these guys are too scared to make a pass to.

I'll concede on the coaching as long as people start admitting that we do have a ton of **** for brains on this team.
You cannot look at how many of those passes Niskanen made tonight (a guy who certainly doesn't have a skill deficiency) and say that it isn't design.

And in any case, it would be OK'ish to be Gill (or Scuderi) about this if only the forwards would not abandon the zone virtually every time in the expectation that these clears/outlets are not habitually picked off. How many 3 on 2s were there against us tonight? I lost count.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Yeah, I can do without the dirty hits, but would it kill him to slash a guy on the back of his leg where there's no padding or face wash somebody once in a while?
That's the part I don't get. I'm fine with him not running guys through the glass, but the fact that he doesn't even try to agitate anyone anymore is taking it a step too far the wrong way.

I can't stand the kid's face, but Rinaldo single handedly ruined the Senators 3rd period today. He got Alfie kicked out of the game by simply being a **** disturber.

Old
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Hard to say who's "better" because they play a different style of game, but offensively Sutter has th equicker moves and better shot when given the opportunity. Staal is harder to handle defensively without question. Maybe harder to take the puck away from also when he's got clear ice. He's also got about 2" and 35 lbs on Sutter probably. So you know... he's got that going for him.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmeister View Post
The Answer

Old
03-02-2013, 10:15 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmeister View Post
Dess-press

Old
03-02-2013, 10:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
You cannot look at how many of those passes Niskanen made tonight (a guy who certainly doesn't have a skill deficiency) and say that it isn't design.

And in any case, it would be OK'ish to be Gill (or Scuderi) about this if only the forwards would not abandon the zone virtually every time in the expectation that these clears/outlets are not habitually picked off. How many 3 on 2s were there against us tonight? I lost count.
If Montreal hadn't continually flubbed them, something tells me you wouldn't have. But, that's what I think a lot of us are talking about when we say it's still a mess. Just because Montreal kept flubbing those opportunities didn't mean that the Pens didn't routinely give them to the Habs.

Old
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Elmer... hear our pleas for justice. And let Joe's will be done.

(Joe's will is for Elmer to get 15-17 min a game from now till the end of the season, in case anyone wondered.)

Old
nhindian

Quote:
yeah...... no.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
NastyNick

-Orpik, Therrien had his ass on the 4th line wing for less. How about some accountability

-Kennedy, continues to do some good, but a little more bad

The rest of the team played fine. Vokoun wasn't getting any favors from Mr. Orpik out there.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
cheesedanish87

I agree with pretty much everyone with the plus and minus from the game just wanted to add a plus to DB thought he had a really good game. Reunited the sid duper kunitz line two of the top 3 scorers on that line has to be the best line in hockey. Also thought it was good to keep TV in net he could of pulled him so many different times during the game. Even though we would of probably won allot easier with MAF he needs his rest and keeping flower rested is better for us long term then winning or losing one game.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Staal > Sutter, but Sutter fits his role on the Pens very well. Staal is not a 3rd line player, he's a top-6 player.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:26 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Now we're just being silly.
Just because Pierre McGuire loves him doesn't make him better. Sutter is just as good in all three zones than Staal is. He only has a couple less points (and if you've watched any of Staal's highlights this season, about half of his assists are due to his inability to stickhandle that accidentally ended up on someone's stick). He has a much better +/-, the same amount of powerplay points (more PPGs actually), higher shooting percentage, more blocked shots, a lot less PIMs. The Staal chubby that Pens fans have amazes me. He was overrated, is overrated, and always will be overrated. Sutter at $2M is infinitely more valuable than Staal is at $6M.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:27 PM
HotCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
Staal > Sutter, but Sutter fits his role on the Pens very well. Staal is not a 3rd line player, he's a top-6 player.

Yeah, nobody wastes a wide open slot chance like Staalsy.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:28 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCoffey View Post
Yeah, nobody wastes a wide open slot chance like Staalsy.
still, Staal doesn't belong in a 3rd line role, he belongs in a top-6 role.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:29 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
still, Staal doesn't belong in a 3rd line role, he belongs in a top-6 role.
Based on what? His amazing skating and playmaking abilities, I assume?

Old
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I hear the top six is exclusive Nealer, so don't tell em you're a goalscorer.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
The color guy was Glenn Healy i believe?
Yup, just checked the replay and he butchered it too. I guess the announcers are locked in a room having no contact with the outside world for 2+ hours. No earpiece through which someone could say, "STOP saying Day-pray you idiots. Deh as in Meh prey". Hard to pronounce if you don't know how, but no correction from anyone for the entire broadcast?

Simon is French Canadian. They are playing the game in Montreal (pronounced Mon treel apparently). They must have attended the Grapes school of name pronunciation.

Am I missing something here? Is that how's it's pronounced in the rest of Canada or something?

Old
03-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Just because Pierre McGuire loves him doesn't make him better. Sutter is just as good in all three zones than Staal is. He only has a couple less points (and if you've watched any of Staal's highlights this season, about half of his assists are due to his inability to stickhandle that accidentally ended up on someone's stick). He has a much better +/-, the same amount of powerplay points (more PPGs actually), higher shooting percentage, more blocked shots, a lot less PIMs. The Staal chubby that Pens fans have amazes me. He was overrated, is overrated, and always will be overrated. Sutter at $2M is infinitely more valuable than Staal is at $6M.
I respectfully disagree with just about everything you said. Sutter is an ideal third-line center. Jordan Staal is one of the best third-line centers of all time. There's a difference in talent there.

Before tonight, I wasn't really enamored with Sutter. But hopefully this is the start of more games like tonight.

But make no mistake. We still haven't recovered from Staal's absence. That's mostly Shero's fault.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:33 PM
SaintRon

Let Simon Despres! Let Simon Despres!

Old
03-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintRon View Post
Yup, just checked the replay and he butchered it too. I guess the announcers are locked in a room having no contact with the outside world for 2+ hours. No earpiece through which someone could say, "STOP saying Day-pray you idiots. Deh as in Meh prey". Hard to pronounce if you don't know how, but no correction from anyone for the entire broadcast?

Simon is French Canadian. They are playing the game in Montreal (pronounced Mon treel apparently). They must have attended the Grapes school of name pronunciation.

Am I missing something here? Is that how's it's pronounced in the rest of Canada or something?
Day Pray is probably as close as an english person can come to saying his name properly. But the truth is you can't really speak english and pronounce his name the way you should.

Actually, the Day part is accurate for both languages. But it's hard to come up with the correct sound in english for the Pray part. It's something like "Preh" if that makes any sense.

Closed Thread