HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13'|Around the league talk | Non-Leaf games |Part III|Perry Re-signs

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 01:29 AM
The Blue Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Indeed.

I'm all for tanking as I know it's needed at times when a franchise needs a new core. However that doesn't mean you forget this is not a one man army or a game where all skill takes over the world. There are some who is capable of doing that the crosbys, the malkins, the stamkos and so on but even then they need the right mix of players and support to get them going. Oilers aka Tambellini believes he'll just tank and be all set. I've said this is in the past, it's easy sitting on your behind and letting your ****** team get the high pick but that ain't getting you anywhere. Remember columbus? Florida ? Atlanta? Because of crosby people have been glorifying tanking unfortunately.
Even Crosby and Malkin couldn't have gotten it done without the right supporting cast.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:49 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
The hardest thing to achieve in team sports is to get a winning culture and to keep it. Some franchises manage to get a good team for a couple of seasons who becomes a contender but once a couple of key players are gone they stop losing. Other franchises have such a strong culture of winning it does not really matter who play for them, they always look a little bit better then they have done elsewhere. Think Devils, Wings and now Boston.
Boston effectively changed their whole culture with 3 moves, trading away Thornton, signing Chara appointing him captain and trading away Kessel.
Thornton was a bad influence in Boston. A star, one of the best players in the league but still a bad influence. So they took a loss in terms of skill and traded him away. Savard was signed to give Bergeron some time to become a key player. Then at the draft -06 they tried to get Backstrom, solid 2-way player but Caps would have nothing of it and they went BPA and picked up Kessel. He sure could score goals but when he wanted to get paid for it they decided he was not worth it despite all the individual skill he had and he was traded away, again not falling for the trick to reward individual skills if the character is not the right one.
Signing Chara was a master stroke. A big, gritty, nasty leader who probably sleeps in the gym between games was just the kind of person who could come in and say - Hey, look at me and what I have become by working hard and showing dedication to the game. Follow me or get moved out.

Tanking will for sure remove everything of a winning culture within a club. And it will be hard to get it back.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
The hardest thing to achieve in team sports is to get a winning culture and to keep it. Some franchises manage to get a good team for a couple of seasons who becomes a contender but once a couple of key players are gone they stop losing. Other franchises have such a strong culture of winning it does not really matter who play for them, they always look a little bit better then they have done elsewhere. Think Devils, Wings and now Boston.
Boston effectively changed their whole culture with 3 moves, trading away Thornton, signing Chara appointing him captain and trading away Kessel.
Thornton was a bad influence in Boston. A star, one of the best players in the league but still a bad influence. So they took a loss in terms of skill and traded him away. Savard was signed to give Bergeron some time to become a key player. Then at the draft -06 they tried to get Backstrom, solid 2-way player but Caps would have nothing of it and they went BPA and picked up Kessel. He sure could score goals but when he wanted to get paid for it they decided he was not worth it despite all the individual skill he had and he was traded away, again not falling for the trick to reward individual skills if the character is not the right one.
Signing Chara was a master stroke. A big, gritty, nasty leader who probably sleeps in the gym between games was just the kind of person who could come in and say - Hey, look at me and what I have become by working hard and showing dedication to the game. Follow me or get moved out.

Tanking will for sure remove everything of a winning culture within a club. And it will be hard to get it back.
The thing is a team like Edmonton has none of that. The idiots in their front office decided to put their fate in the hands of a bunch of 18-19 year olds, it's absurd. Their veterans are crap, they need some secondary help and trading some youth to get it would be ideal. They've picked high enough for long enough where they can comfortably say they have a core group of young forwards, trading one and something else for a legit star on the backend or up front is something they need to do. The system that Tambellini has taken that franchise is an embarrassment. If I were an Oilers fan seeing Tambellini smile and smirk on television every single year at the draft lottery show on TSN would drive me nuts. Him and Katz have no idea how to run a team.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:58 AM
RtooDtu

How much is too much for CPerry?

Not sure if my first post was deleted (my tablet crashed as I was making the thread) so if it was then I am sorry.

If Perry does go to free agency how much is too much for his services?

Should it be more or less then Getzlaf $66million? How high would you go before you say no? Should we say no or should we be the highest bidder no matter the cost?

Old
03-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I'd give him a blank cheque. I think he would immensely help this team.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:01 AM
bobbyflex

7 yrs, $56M. Easy

Old
03-09-2013, 09:12 AM
calcal798

8 years 8875000 cap hit.

10 milion first 3, 9 million second 3, then 7 million last 2.

Im pretty sure one year salary can be a maximum of 35% smaller then the highest amount, so that would keep that rule in tact.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:16 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Unless we're trading Kessel, I see no point in signing Perry. Great player, but our winger depth is pretty good. We need to upgrade at centre more than the wing, and while Perry would be a fantastic addition, he would get in the way of adding that frontline centre (again, unless we get rid of Kessel)

Old
03-09-2013, 09:22 AM
The Winter Soldier

Getzlaf re-signing no surprise, we can stop the pipe dreams now, but Perry to Toronto pipe dream is a reality and to me Perry is a better player.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Getzlaf re-signing no surprise, we can stop the pipe dreams now, but Perry to Toronto pipe dream is a reality and to me Perry is a better player.
Totally agreed, my whole mindset was that Perry was the one that was going to leave. To me he's a goner, if Getzlaf is getting 8.25 Perry is going to get 9+ from someone and it won't be the Ducks unless they want to fill out the rest of their roster with AHLers. The Ducks are a budget team so how they fit both of them is beyond me. Not sure the Ducks want to put a quarter of their cap to 2 players either

Old
03-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Calacatz
Jacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
8 years 8875000 cap hit.

10 milion first 3, 9 million second 3, then 7 million last 2.

Im pretty sure one year salary can be a maximum of 35% smaller then the highest amount, so that would keep that rule in tact.
Any team other than the ducks can only offer a 7 year deal... which I would gladly do for any amount we need to to get a real superstar in this City

Old
03-09-2013, 09:28 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Totally agreed, my whole mindset was that Perry was the one that was going to leave. To me he's a goner, if Getzlaf is getting 8.25 Perry is going to get 9+ from someone and it won't be the Ducks unless they want to fill out the rest of their roster with AHLers. The Ducks are a budget team so how they fit both of them is beyond me.
Perry is an elite player, complete player more importantly. I would trade Kessel for him in a second if we could sign him, I would give him max money and max years. Like Boston did for Chara. He would be the best player in this org since Sundin. Elite player that fits the new Toronto non smurf style.

Yes, I want Perry. Nonis get it done.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Perry is an elite player, complete player more importantly. I would trade Kessel for him in a second if we could sign him, I would give him max money and max years. Like Boston did for Chara. He would be the best player in this org since Sundin. Elite player that fits the new Toronto non smurf style.

Me too, I know he's a winger but he's elite, Nonis needs to at least kick the tires with him. I'd give him 8-9 million no problem. The Leafs haven't had a single player make over 7 million going back to before the first lockout. We love to talk that we can outspend everyone but we never do. I'd love Nonis to make him his first real move as GM.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
I'd give Kadri+ MacArthur+1 rd Pick,+Holzer +Salary for him.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Pi

Perry> Getzlaf for me.

I'd pay him 9M...I just hope for once this team can get some luck.

Brad Richards wanted to play for Torts..why can't Perry want to play for Carlyle?

9M+ the endorsements he'd make here is better than 8.25M and anonymity in Anaheim.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Nice!

Yeah, lets trade the guy that isn't afraid to hit Lucic, Chara, Thornton etc and put up points.

Kessel for Perry straight up.

Winger for Winger...If we get Perry another way, I don't want him on a line with Kessel.

Kessel's line SUCKS defensively. I'd rather have Perry, Kadri and Frattin/JvR on one line.

Perry, Kadri, JvR >> Bozak Lupul Kessel.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Superstar

Quote:

Elite offensive talent he is, complete he is not. Datsyuk is complete, Mike Richards is complete. But I would welcome Perry's size.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

3-0 Bruins. Philly is so bad . What a waste of talent

Old
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I Believe

Boston's laying the smackdown on Philly. Good for us, Philly was one of the teams I could see surging into a playoff spot.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
3-0 Bruins. Philly is so bad . What a waste of talent
How's Bryz playing? He's been awful.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Pi

Luke Schenn is playing terrible..he went to go for a big hit @ the blue line...ended up giving a breakaway which turned into a goal.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
How's Bryz playing? He's been awful.
Nah, the Flyers suck!!!. Schenn has been atrocious. I feel so bad for Bryz he gets no help at all in front of him. Luke goes for the big hit and just completely leaves the play Boston comes back on a breakaway and scores...my god just totally inept.

How we got JVR for him is amazing. Schenn sucks!

Old
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Are you high?

Old
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Hope this game is a turning point for the habs and they start a long losing streak. GO TB!

Old
03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

Boston manhandling Phili easily .. Say what you want against the Leafs loss to Boston Thursday, at least the Leafs played a good game .. Phili is rolling over, not looking like a playoff team at all

Closed Thread