HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13'|Around the league talk | Non-Leaf games |Part III|Perry Re-signs

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Now with the 2 minutes for over the glass?

It should be a 1 minute penalty.

Penalty shots should be:

You get the puck at center ice, and everyone else is in the opposite defensive zone.
Ref blows the whistle and you all go ... if Jason Allison is taking the shot he probably doesn't even make it to the blue line ...
Plus if you miss the penalty shot the opposing team gets a free shot at stapling you to the end boards.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:18 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Not only that if you look at the video clip he was pushing Rask's pad back with his left leg. Kudo's to Rask on being able to make the save regardless but that is just bush.
Even when he was interviewed it sounded like he was saying the puck hit his stick, while he was trying to push Rasks pad in the net with his stick. WTF???? Maybe I heard it wrong but that's how it sounded to me.

Ehh what can you say, kid has Krusty "Too much Swedish, and not enough finish." for a Captain.

Quote:
IMO they should have the shoot-out point in a separate category.

There should be Wins, Losses, Ties, and Shoot-out points.

Then only when points are tied in the standings do you take shoot-out points into consideration.

So if Leafs had 90 points and 5 shoot wins, they'd get the edge on a team with 90 points and 4 shoot out wins.

So all games are worth 2 points in the standings.
So one team gets 90pts but only goes to 5 shootouts the entire year, while the other team gets 90pts but goes to 12 shootouts the entire year. Why should the one team get an advantage,(more chances to win) just because it goes to more Shootouts?

Makes no sense.

3-2-1 Simple, easy, should be done immediately.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:21 PM
ChuckWoods

vCash: 500
Cant see Daugevins shootout attempt being too popular with some people in Ottawa.

In a tight playoff race every point matters and that isn't the time to use an All-Star Game type move.

Very easy to read and react to and Rask just sprawled out once he realized Daugevins wasn't going to have the option to raise the puck in tight.

My assumption would be is that Kaspar's shootout days are done for a bit.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Erdinger

If he had scored and it was allowed it would have opened up a can of worms. I could imagine the Habs new shootout strategy would be to just carry the puck right in and submarine the goalie into the net.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:37 PM
keonsbitterness

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I'm for it, but the NHL probably won't do it because the current system let's certain teams who often play for overtime stay in the playoff race longer.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
I'm for it, but the NHL probably won't do it because the current system let's certain teams who often play for overtime stay in the playoff race longer.
That is the main reason.

Look at Edmonton...they have won 9 times in 25 games, and yet they are one small win streak away from ".500"

Old
03-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
Edit: need to rework the numbers.

Last edited by Superstar: 03-11-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 11:12 PM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
So one team gets 90pts but only goes to 5 shootouts the entire year, while the other team gets 90pts but goes to 12 shootouts the entire year. Why should the one team get an advantage,(more chances to win) just because it goes to more Shootouts?

Makes no sense.

They have to win the shoot-out not just be in it. It would only be used for a tie breaker.

In the current system if someone got 92 regulation and overtime points and no skills competition points they would be ranked below someone who got 88 regulation and overtime points but won 5 skills competitions.

In my proposal, the skills competition points would not come into the equation.

If both teams had 92 regulation and overtime points, then you'd look at the skills competition points. The 92 points do not include any points from the skill competitions.

Of course all games being worth 3 would work simpler, but completely distort all team records.

I think going back to all 2 point games makes more sense for continuity to the league's history.

The 197475 season saw another change to its playoff system to accommodate the league of 18 teams, twelve of which qualified for the playoffs. The top team from each division would earn a bye to the quarterfinal, while the second- and third-place teams from each division started their playoff run from a best-of-three preliminary round.
Old
03-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Winreims

It really is infuriating to know that the sens are basically 13-13 and the Leafs at 15-11 YET they are tied in the standings because ottawa finds better ways to lose (in OT)..

Old
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Superstar

Quote:
They have to win the shoot-out not just be in it. It would only be used for a tie breaker.

In the current system if someone got 92 regulation and overtime points and no skills competition points they would be ranked below someone who got 88 regulation and overtime points but won 5 skills competitions.

If both teams had 92 regulation and overtime points, then you'd look at the skills competition points. The 92 points do not include any points from the skill competitions.

Of course all games being worth 3 would work simpler, but completely distort all team records.

I think going back to all 2 point games makes more sense for continuity to the league's history.
Then do we end games in a tie after OT or continue the skills competition with winner taking all the points? I don't see Bettman getting rid of the shootout entertainment value for the US fanbase.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:22 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Yeah the shootout's gotta' go.. To be honest, I didn't care when we were a cellar dweller, but now it's a bit infuriating.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:14 AM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

Hate to say it, but the shootout isn't going away any time soon .. People still love the entertainment value of it ...

Unfortunately it has a real impact on the standings, so they need to definitely rework how points are achieved

Maybe put a real premium on wins in regulation .. 4 points for a ROW ... 2 points for an OT/Shootout win ... 1 point for a Shootout loss .. Get rid of the loser point in OT

Old
03-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*

I pray to God that Sens are tied for 8th at end of season, but lose out due to less regulation+OT wins.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:12 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Then do we end games in a tie after OT or continue the skills competition with winner taking all the points? I don't see Bettman getting rid of the shootout entertainment value for the US fanbase.
Game ends in a tie.

Skill competition then begins with the winner of the skills competition getting 1 point in the skills competition standings.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I Believe

I don't mind the shootout so much, but I think 5 minutes of overtime is too short. Give them a full period, 20 minutes of 4 on 4.

Then go to the shootout

Old
03-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Brymas McCaberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
I don't mind the shootout so much, but I think 5 minutes of overtime is too short. Give them a full period, 20 minutes of 4 on 4.

Then go to the shootout
This, although there is a fair number of people who would argue that it puts too much fatigue on players.

Heck I'd settle for 10, if it really is true. 5 is just too short.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

The 'tank' talk in Calgary this morning is becoming impossible to ignore .. As a Leafs fan it's amusing to hear another fan base talk about it

Old
03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
The 'tank' talk in Calgary this morning is becoming impossible to ignore .. As a Leafs fan it's amusing to hear another fan base talk about it
Calgary is exactly where the Leafs were 5 years ago..

They will tank with their pick, we "tanked" without ours.

I just can't believe how dumb the Avs are...it was a top 5 pick for O'Reilly..who will most likely be traded anyway.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
VanW27

Unfortunately I dont think the NHL will go to 3 points for regulation wins or ROWs. The current format keeps teams bunched together and keeps playoff hopes alive for teams that would otherwise be out*of it, which is good for business.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Asif16*

I want columbus to beat the **** out canucks tonight. Sorry, i think you all know my hate towards the canucks by now lol. Im ecstatic that they are struggling. And i hope they keep losing

Old
03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Calgary is exactly where the Leafs were 5 years ago..

They will tank with their pick, we "tanked" without ours.

I just can't believe how dumb the Avs are...it was a top 5 pick for O'Reilly..who will most likely be traded anyway.
Wasn't it?:

To Colorado: Calgarys 1st

To calgary: feasters pink slip

To Columbus via waiver wire: o'reilly

To o'reilly: undeservingly big cheques written in the name of greedy o'reilly.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Wasn't it?:

To Colorado: Calgarys 1st

To calgary: feasters pink slip

To Columbus via waiver wire: o'reilly

To o'reilly: undeservingly big cheques written in the name of greedy o'reilly.
I think the NHL would have given O'Reilly to Calgary in the end...it was a "mistake" that not a lot of people knew about. I don't think Calgary would have lost him..but it's still a bad decision.

O'Reilly won't stay with the Avs unless he gets that 5-5.5M contract and the Avs are not going to give him that...everyone thinks he is gone as soon as Feb 28th next year...

Calgary's pick right now is 5th overall. Any of those top 7 picks have HUGE potential and they get their cheap ELC years till ~2016

Old
03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think the NHL would have given O'Reilly to Calgary in the end...it was a "mistake" that not a lot of people knew about. I don't think Calgary would have lost him..but it's still a bad decision.

O'Reilly won't stay with the Avs unless he gets that 5-5.5M contract and the Avs are not going to give him that...everyone thinks he is gone as soon as Feb 28th next year...

Calgary's pick right now is 5th overall. Any of those top 7 picks have HUGE potential and they get their cheap ELC years till ~2016
Know Calgary's draft history they'll **** it up somehow .. They've got a rough track record

Old
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Quote:

You don't get it.

Why should one team be given more opportunites to get the extra point than another team? Your system won't work, because it is unfair to the teams who have fewer SO appearances.

PErsonally I don't care about the record books. There was a time when you had a 1/6 chance of winning the Stanley Cup. Now it is 1/30.

There was a time when they played 60 games. Now we play 82.

Do I even have to bring up goalie equipment or composite sticks?

Put an * beside the number in the record book, if you want.

But for the sake of the game they need to make all games 3pts.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Epoch

Ottawa gets tougher by acquiring Matt Kassian.

Closed Thread