HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Sign Daniel Zaar to ELC

Old
05-30-2014, 03:40 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

vCash: 500
CBJ Sign Daniel Zaar to ELC

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 1m

NEWS: #CBJ have signed RW Daniel Zaar (@ZaarDaniel) to a three-year Entry Level contract --> http://*******/zaarsigned0530

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 03:42 PM
db2011

This will make a lot of people around here happy

db2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 03:46 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Wonder if he'll stay in Sweden for more years or give the AHL a go

Old
05-30-2014, 04:02 PM
RDriesenUD

Good news. I figured he would get signed. If a team wants to sign a prospect, they usually do.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:41 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Wonder if he'll stay in Sweden for more years or give the AHL a go
Zaar has signed a contract with the SHL team, Luleå HF. A lot of SHL contracts have NHL out clauses but not AHL but I'm not sure how much that changes now that he has an NHL contract over it and the NHL team assigns him to the AHL. He's only 20, so spending another year in Sweden playing at the highest level for a team that is not only expected to win but expected to dominate isn't a bad idea.

Luleå is the northern most team in the SHL and it's cold and dark and has a subarctic climate. Spending winter in Springfield rather than there would be a gift, but the things people do to play hockey.

Edited to add: There's an article on SVT.se that says Zaar is expected to be loaned to Luleå: http://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/skr...-ut-till-lulea

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:52 PM
JacketsFanWest

Here's the translations of what Zaar told STV.se (Swedish tv network)
http://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/skr...-ut-till-lulea

Quote:
- Det känns jättebra. Att få ett NHL-kontrakt är något man alltid har drömt om, säger han till SVT Sport.

– Jag kommer vara utlånad till Luleå. Jag känner att det är bäst för min utveckling, säger han till SVT Sport.

– Eller, det är inte helt klart. Jag kommer ju åka över till deras developent camp, men sen åker jag förmodligen tillbaka till Luleå. Men saker kan ju ändras.
"It feels really great. To get an NHL contract is something one always have dreamed of," he (Zaar) says to SVT sport.

"I will be loaned to Luleå. I feel that it is best for my development," says he to SVT Sport. "But it is not completely clear. I will go over to their development camp but later I probably go back to Luleå. But things can always change."

Old
05-30-2014, 06:49 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post

"It feels really great. To get an NHL contract is something one always have dreamed of," he (Zaar) says to SVT sport.

"I will be loaned to Luleå. I feel that it is best for my development," says he to SVT Sport. "But it is not completely clear. I will go over to their development camp but later I probably go back to Luleå. But things can always change."
Thanks

Old
05-30-2014, 06:52 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:

I feel that's best for him. Next year he can maybe even compete for a CBJ job, but for now he's best in SWE

Old
05-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:

Good stuff, thanks JFW!

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 02:08 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

glad we finally got him signed, I like his potential

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:41 AM
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$

The more skilled guys in the mix the better. Also allows for more focus on drafting defense.

05-31-2014, 11:00 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
The more skilled guys in the mix the better. Also allows for more focus on drafting defense.
Not picking on your comment in particular, but you never can ever have too many 6th rounders signed.

Maybe he is a Datsyuk or Zetterberg in waiting. Who knows? But I get a kick out of the fans reaction to signing all these low round draft choices.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 11:03 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I disagree. You should never focus on a specific position early in drafts. You just don't know what your needs will be in 3 or 4 years. You need to draft who you think is the best. Obviously, what position they play becomes a factor if you have 2 players ranked about the same.

Old
05-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Not picking on your comment in particular, but you never can ever have too many 6th rounders signed.

Maybe he is a Datsyuk or Zetterberg in waiting. Who knows? But I get a kick out of the fans reaction to signing all these low round draft choices.
It's one thing when a player like this gets signed ... it's another thing when a player like this gets signed after progressively getting better and better since we drafted him.

What I'm saying is, this isn't Steven Goertzen. There's real potential with Zaar.

Old
05-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

Actually, your sarcastic comment is probably true. Because:

1) To SL's point about not all 6th rounders being created equal, and when a guy is in your system and progressing, you should want to keep him around when you can.

2) It's about building an organ-eye-zation. Sure, your first look is always to the big club, but even if Zaar tops out at "reliable call-up" on a good CBJ team, meaning he can be relied upon as a depth player when injuries happen and in particular because he's a guy who has come through your system and knows what will be asked of him, that's a win from a sixth-rounder.

Old
05-31-2014, 02:43 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I disagree. You should never focus on a specific position early in drafts. You just don't know what your needs will be in 3 or 4 years. You need to draft who you think is the best. Obviously, what position they play becomes a factor if you have 2 players ranked about the same.
Someone recently posted a video where either J.D. or Jarmo was talking about the draft. They basically said what you said. Always draft the best player available with the first pick. I can't remember if he said that was only for the first round or for the first couple of rounds. Then as you get deeper in the draft, they said you can then start to draft from position of need.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
2) It's about building an organ-eye-zation. Sure, your first look is always to the big club, but even if Zaar tops out at "reliable call-up" on a good CBJ team, meaning he can be relied upon as a depth player when injuries happen and in particular because he's a guy who has come through your system and knows what will be asked of him, that's a win from a sixth-rounder.
I think I should keep this on the clipboard to copy and paste every time someone complains about Jack Skille not getting called up enough.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 04:30 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Yay! I've been a cheerleader for this guy for years. Let's see what he can do!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 04:32 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Someone recently posted a video where either J.D. or Jarmo was talking about the draft. They basically said what you said. Always draft the best player available with the first pick. I can't remember if he said that was only for the first round or for the first couple of rounds. Then as you get deeper in the draft, they said you can then start to draft from position of need.
I know Jarmo's point heading into last year's draft was that he wanted his list to be in order, because when they came up to pick, they would be picking the next player on their list, regardless of where the media or anyone else had him. Which would explain the choice of a guy like Dano.

Something along the lines of "You take the highest ranked player left on your list"

Old
06-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Yay! I've been a cheerleader for this guy for years. Let's see what he can do!
Indeed, I'm glad he seems interested in playing hockey in NA at some point. I'm eager to see him back at camp this summer.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:21 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think I should keep this on the clipboard to copy and paste every time someone complains about Jack Skille not getting called up enough.
Well, other than it not being related to DSL's post after the first sentence and a half I think you hit a home run. We didn't draft him and he was the 7th overall pick. I think people were looking for a bit more than a depth call-up when they drafted him.

The Panthers of all teams let him go, he signed a two-way deal with us, and he survived waivers last season. If you put it in that context then it follows a bit more.

As far as Zaar. Meh. Talk to me again when he's playing in NA. He had a fine season over there last year. Glad he's in the system. We'll see if he plays in NA or if he's one of those that just comes over to camp and heads back over if he doesn't make our roster out of camp.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Palinka

Quote:

Simply finding a report on Daniel Zaar was impossible in 2012. This year, I know that at least one other scout recommended his team use their second-round pick on Zaar if he ended up re-entering the draft.

I'm not very familiar with the person who said this, so I suppose it could be his particular sense of humor that went over my head. But it's still fairly lofty praise from someone whose scouting director is known to be very conservative when it comes to predictions.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 07:42 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Simply finding a report on Daniel Zaar was impossible in 2012.
This is just weird that the SuperElit league is scouted so poorly. It's not like Zaar was playing for an obscure team at a low level in Sweden in the 2011-12 season. It was his second season in the top junior league in Sweden and his team, Rögle J20, was the top team in the southern division in the regular season.