HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Kovalev retired

Old
03-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Alexei Kovalev retired

Alexei Kovalev has retired;

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per George Richards

Quote:
Alex Kovalev, last active player from #NYRangers 1994 Stanley Cup championship team, has officially retired. Played 14 games w/ #FlaPanthers
https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/s...75250108166144
All the best to him.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Solution

vCash: 500
Enjoy your retirement AK-27.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
stefanh

Thanks for the memories!

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:32 PM
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Surprised he didn't go to the KHL last few years, probably less intense and some extra scratch.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Surprised he didn't go to the KHL last few years, probably less intense and some extra scratch.
He played for I think AK Bars Kazan last year but didn't do that well.

I think it'd be nice if the club invited him to a game as a special guest and maybe had a pre game presentation to say thanks.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Jacob

vCash: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

I think it'd be nice if the club invited him to a game as a special guest and maybe had a pre game presentation to say thanks.
I don't think that's necessary.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I don't think that's necessary.
He's a well-liked player who played the best hockey of his career in Pittsburgh...I see nothing wrong in him being the guest of honor at a game and getting a standing ovation from the crowd.

It's not like he'd be getting his number retired.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

Yeah for the guy who after being traded & was asked if he could ever see himself coming back said "Maybe when they're playing in Vegas"

He was a great player for us for a short period of time but he's always been kind of a jerk. The fact we stole him from NY & then because of an unfair system had to give him back for nothing will always reflect the need for the salary cap. That's his legacy to me.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Wes C Addle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:28 PM
invictus

Straka-Lang-Kovalev was fun

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:28 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Congrats to a guy who was a joy to watch during his prime.

He should be revered simply for giving the world the "longest shift ever" story from his days with the Rangers.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 422
Enjoy retirement

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
clefty
Ice cream for crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
He was a great player for us for a short period of time but he's always been kind of a jerk. The fact we stole him from NY & then because of an unfair system had to give him back for nothing will always reflect the need for the salary cap. That's his legacy to me.
I'll take issue with this. The economic structure of the time might have made it difficult to sign Kovalev to a deal competitive with the open market or a team with a massive payroll of the Rangers and necessitate a trade, but it did not force Craig Patrick to trade him for what he traded for.

Other teams were selling off talent and getting high picks and prospects, and what do we get for a winger who's last three seasons resulted in 90+ point scoring pace? A lousy Mikael Samuelsson and three career minor leaguers. You didn't need hindsight to see what a horrible trade it was, and I blame ownership just as much for signing off on it. I can't even believe the NHL approved such a heinously ******, lopsided deal.

It was the most annoying thing about Craig's attempt at a re-build. It was like he was always trying to pull off these acrobatic miracle trades turning retreads into superstars outsmarting himself in the process. San Jose got Brad Boyes and a 1st round pick for Owen Nolan mere weeks after we traded Kovalev, Washington got Brooks Laich, Tomas Fleischmann and a bunch of first round picks (including Mike Green) for Bondra, Lang and Gonchar. Chicago has Bryan Bickell today out of trading Alexei Zhamnov. What did we get? Rico Fata, Richard Lintner and Joel ****ing Bouchard.

Anyway, rant aside, losing Kovalev had to do with the league economics, but the "for nothing" part was because Craig Patrick sucked at selling.

Last edited by clefty: 03-21-2013 at 07:51 PM.
clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Id like to see the org offer him a front office job here, class guy, great player for us. Could bring a lot of good things with foreign rookies in talking/mentoring them.

Thatll all happen behind the scenes... But I hope at least Shero reaches an arm out.

No matter what, best of luck to him in what ever he does. Was always a pleasure to watch him play no matter what uniform he was wearing.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:51 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Anyway, rant aside, losing Kovalev had to do with the league economics, but the "for nothing" part was because Craig Patrick sucked at selling.
Haha yeah for every good move/pick Patrick made there were 10 horrible ones.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Kovifan27

This makes me sad

Loved him since his first stint here...

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
hiptanaka

Quote:
I'll take issue with this. The economic structure of the time might have made it difficult to sign Kovalev to a deal competitive with the open market or a team with a massive payroll of the Rangers and necessitate a trade, but it did not force Craig Patrick to trade him for what he traded for.

Other teams were selling off talent and getting high picks and prospects, and what do we get for a winger who's last three seasons resulted in 90+ point scoring pace? A lousy Mikael Samuelsson and three career minor leaguers. You didn't need hindsight to see what a horrible trade it was, and I blame ownership just as much for signing off on it. I can't even believe the NHL approved such a heinously ******, lopsided deal.

It was the most annoying thing about Craig's attempt at a re-build. It was like he was always trying to pull off these acrobatic miracle trades turning retreads into superstars outsmarting himself in the process. San Jose got Brad Boyes and a 1st round pick for Owen Nolan mere weeks after we traded Kovalev, Washington got Brooks Laich, Tomas Fleischmann and a bunch of first round picks (including Mike Green) for Bondra, Lang and Gonchar. Chicago has Bryan Bickell today out of trading Alexei Zhamnov. What did we get? Rico Fata, Richard Lintner and Joel ****ing Bouchard.

I agree that Craig Patrick got fleeced on those deals, without a question. However, if we did receive a justifiable return for the high-end players we sold off during the "X-Generation", then we may have never been in a position to draft Crosby, Malkin, etc.

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:01 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Kovalev for Lintner, Bouchard, Fata, and Samuelsson
Jagr for Beech, Sivek, Lupaschuk
Naslund for Alek Stojanov
Straka for Norm MacIver and Troy Murray (to be fair he got him back)
Straka again for Strbak and Anshakov

Yeah, some bad trades on his record

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
clefty
Ice cream for crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
I agree that Craig Patrick got fleeced on those deals, without a question. However, if we did receive a justifiable return for the high-end players we sold off during the "X-Generation", then we may have never been in a position to draft Crosby, Malkin, etc.
I disagree. It's not like many, if any, of the picks or prospects we could have (should have) picked up would have been ready to turn us into anything but an awful team the following season. They'd all still have been juniors or in the AHL.

Consider this. One of the returns he actually got right was a 2nd round pick for Hedberg in 2003, which was spent on Alex Goligoski. How long did it take for him to break into the NHL?

Old
03-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Lim Ran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post

I mean, everything worked out well, but... wow, that's shocking when you put it all together.

Hey, we got Rico Fata though.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBennett View Post
Id like to see the org offer him a front office job here, class guy, great player for us. Could bring a lot of good things with foreign rookies in talking/mentoring them.

Thatll all happen behind the scenes... But I hope at least Shero reaches an arm out.

No matter what, best of luck to him in what ever he does. Was always a pleasure to watch him play no matter what uniform he was wearing.
Agreed, even in Montreal he was so loved by people here great person, had a private loge for kids which he payed for and was always involved.

Best of luck to Kovy and thanks for great memories

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
I disagree. It's not like many, if any, of the picks or prospects we could have (should have) picked up would have been ready to turn us into anything but an awful team the following season. They'd all still have been juniors or in the AHL.

Consider this. One of the returns he actually got right was a 2nd round pick for Hedberg in 2003, which was spent on Alex Goligoski. How long did it take for him to break into the NHL?
His best draft pick other than the no-brainers was who, Lalime?

Old
03-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Burgs

Quote:
But just like the Jagr deal, the Pens also received cash from their trade partner (4 million in Kovalev's case) which they needed badly to stay afloat. I'm not happy with what Patrick got back in assets but I understand him asking for money lowered the return in terms of players and picks. The NHL prohibited cash trading shortly afterwards.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
clefty
Ice cream for crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
His best draft pick other than the no-brainers was who, Lalime?
What? No.

He made some awful decisions at the end, but he was still one of the league's best General Managers in his time.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post

To be fair on that one, Straka was absolutely awful that year and went to the Kings and played even worse. He was also coming off of a couple of injury plagued seasons and people were speculating that his career was over.

That doesn't excuse the other deals though.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote