HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Injuries

Old
03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
JaeTM

vCash: 500
Injuries

Before I get started, I realize no one here...or well, majority of us aren't doctors here, but I think advice is always appreciated.

Two weeks ago I was in a game and within the first 3 minutes of the game I go down from twisting my ankle when coming together with another player. It hurt extremely badly, and I could barely put any pressure on it. A few minutes on the bench and it was feeling better. Went out for my next shift, it twisted weirdly again and had the same excruciating pain. Adrenaline pumping, ankle feeling better, tried to go out one more time. Another awkward twist and I was done for. I skated off in the second period and stayed off the rest of the game.

The pain went from the bottom part of my foot, all the way to my ankle. It never bruised or swelled up (I iced it after the game), and I never went to the doctor for it. Two weeks later, and it feels a lot better. The first few days I was walking with a limp, and an awkward twist caused me to be in a lot of pain again. I'm now able to walk on it with no pain, run up my stairs, etc.

I have a game tonight, so I decided to lace up my skates and see how it felt as I skated throughout my house a bit. I felt pain, but nothing bad, just a little nagging pain. I just did a little jog and felt a little pain as well, but not major.

Like I said, I didn't go to the doctor so I have no true diagnosis, but the pain has gone to the high part of my ankle, around my shin area. Teammates have said it could possibly be a high ankle sprain, but I'm not too sure considering I feel much better 2 weeks later, no swelling, no bruising.

Do you think I should give it another week or two based on what I've explained, or should I just wrap the thing and get on the ice? I've never really been injured before playing sports, and I've played A LOT of sports throughout my life (the worst being a fractured pinky). I'm itching to get back on, but am worried that one possible wrong twist puts me back to square one.

Like I said, advice is appreciated

I suppose this thread could be suitable for other injury talk as well.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
hyster110

See a doctor!

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
SkateThroughIt

Rest > Play is always the better option when it comes to injuries. I would recommend that you go see a doctor. As far as playing tonight, your call. I personally would do it just to see where my ankle is at...and because I love to play. Just take it easy if you do.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Jive Time

If you are going to skate on it, consider using one of those canvas ankle sleeves that have the laces. Unless your boot is really tight, it should fit without too much discomfort. I tried all kinds of wrapping methods but the lace-up was waaay more stable.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have no idea in your case, but for me if it feels significantly better after 2-3 days, I'll just play through it. If it's still a lot of pain or bothering you, see a doctor.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
McDugan

A couple years ago in a scrimmage I hit a rut while attempting to turn around - the result was that most of my body turned while my right leg was forced to stay put. I got right back up and skated back into the play, but came off soon afterward with pain in my upper calf/ behind my knee.

Different area, but maybe relevant to your injury. Next few days, I couldn't put much weight on the leg unless it was perfectly straight. I couldn't bend my knee very far without reaching a point where I'd have nasty pain. Some movements were fine, some not at all. I could do typical stretches no problem front bends, lunges, etc. but every now and then the wrong combination of movement and weight on that side would stop me cold with pain.

Ended up getting it x-rayed, nothing odd showed up, all ligaments and tendons OK. Doc sent me for MRI because he expected it must be some sort of cartilage damage to the knee - it eventually revealed a small (incomplete - which is why it didn't show in the x-ray) fracture at the top of my fibula. By the time the MRI was done (probably 4 weeks after the injury), it had pretty much healed already.

All this to say that based on my experience (especially in light of the pain without bruising/swelling) you should definitely check to make sure you're not at risk of making a small stress fracture into something worse.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
JaeTM

Yeah, I decided to skip my game and it actually ended up hurting a bit when I woke up this morning. Think I'm gonna make an appointment and see what they have to say.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote