HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Begin Looking Good

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

vCash: 500
Begin Looking Good

Like Mair last year, I think Begin was almost guarenteed a fourth line spot before he even stepped onto ice the first time at camp. Darcy Regier specifically asked for him in the trade with Calgary, like he specifically went after Mair last year, because he knew what he was getting - a tough, energy player that had the tools to play the game as well.

But with that said, Lindy Ruff just offered up praise for Begin on WNSA that almost all but confirms that he will indeed be given that spot. According to Ruff, Begin has been turning heads at camp with his eagerness to plow through people with their heads down but also his ability to play the game. "The fourth line is going to be filled with energy guys"-so says Ruff.

It looks like the offseason prediction (by most), of a line consisting of Mair, Begin, and Boulton/Peters was dead on.

I'm certainly not complaining.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:40 AM
looooob

as a Flames fan, my two cents:

I don't think you will find any Flames fans who disliked Begin per se. he always gave 100%, stuck up for his teamates etc. as long as you realize you are only getting an energy guy, I think you will like him.

the problem with the Flames was we often had up to six of these guys in the lineup at once (Begin,Nichol,Jamie Wright, Blake Sloan, Clarke Wilm, Ron Petrovicky etc etc) and you just can't go anywhere with 3-6 pintsized energy players popping in 5 goals a year. so we had to move on, but hopefully he will do OK in Buffalo

Old
09-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
as a Flames fan, my two cents:

I don't think you will find any Flames fans who disliked Begin per se. he always gave 100%, stuck up for his teamates etc. as long as you realize you are only getting an energy guy, I think you will like him.

the problem with the Flames was we often had up to six of these guys in the lineup at once (Begin,Nichol,Jamie Wright, Blake Sloan, Clarke Wilm, Ron Petrovicky etc etc) and you just can't go anywhere with 3-6 pintsized energy players popping in 5 goals a year. so we had to move on, but hopefully he will do OK in Buffalo
Considering the lack of energy guys that this team has, I think he will fit in perfectly. We have too few guys that stick up for teammates and hit.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalotony83
well thats good to hear and everything but we dont need another mair.its good to have a player like this if he was playing defense but that isnt going to put the puck in the need so i would use him on the 4th line and maybe be play him if someone gets injured,but besides taking someone like tim out for him i wouldnt,everyone is puting tim down but this year is the test because there is more scoring players and playmakers ,so we can judge him after this year ,depending who is on his line also.
Umm, he will be on the fourth line. That's what I wrote.

Also, we do need another Adam Mair. What we don't need is more Tim Connolly's. This team has enough unfulfilled talent, softness, and lack of heart.

We need that grit and ethic that guys like Mair and Begin bring, and then we have to hope that some of this can be transferred to the top 2 lines.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:43 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

exactly, tim had his chance, I honestly don't think he's gonna show you anything new he's too soft physically and defensively and offensively has had what, 3 years to show what he's got? i say make room for begin if he's impressing in camp, lets get over timmah already and move on.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
exactly, tim had his chance, I honestly don't think he's gonna show you anything new he's too soft physically and defensively and offensively has had what, 3 years to show what he's got? i say make room for begin if he's impressing in camp, lets get over timmah already and move on.
Well, I don't think Begin playing takes away a spot for Connolly. Timmah will never be on the fourth line. The guys competing for those spots are Begin, Peters, and Gaustard. Mair, and a healthy Boulton, will likely hold the others.

Timmy is competing for a third line spot in my estimation since there is no way he cracks the top six (and will probably play on it with some combination of Pyatt, Brown, and Afinogenov).

Personally, I've given up on Connolly. Some people say it's way too soon, and that was me just before this offseason. I defended this guy the entire time he's been here, saying "He's young. Give him time". And I even defended him last year. Rifle through my old posts and you will see all sorts of Tim Connolly loving madness. I waited and vehemently told people to wait and see, too. I knew he'd come around one day.

What did he go out and do? He went out and proved my absolutely wrong with that heartless season he just finished.

Connolly is a noob.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:43 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
Also, we do need another Adam Mair. What we don't need is more Tim Connolly's. This team has enough unfulfilled talent, softness, and lack of heart.

We need that grit and ethic that guys like Mair and Begin bring, and then we have to hope that some of this can be transferred to the top 2 lines.
I couldn't agree more. I think we should keep the Connolly we have, but do not import any more. I wouldn't mind seeing a 4th line like Begin-Mair-Boulton. Not only would that be a wickedly gritty line, but Boulton has speed, Mair has skill, and Begin grinds. Aside from that being a tough line, i think it could produce a few goals as well.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:06 PM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

from what i saw at the Leafs game.. I wasnt to impressed with Begin. I barely noticed him out there..( no big hits, no fights) I dont even remember if he touched the puck..

Honestly a fourth line consisting of Bouton, Begin and Mair would be tough but thats aobut it..

Peters I liked..I thought he looked like he skated well and got into plays not to mention he is one tough s.o.b

I would give a fourth line maybe consisting of

Peters Roy Mair
Other players that impressed me were Hecht, Pyatt and Roy

also the Dumont Briere connection looked like they never stopped from last year

Old
09-23-2003, 04:09 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime
I would give a fourth line maybe consisting of

Peters Roy Mair
Other players that impressed me were Hecht, Pyatt and Roy
Ok, I like that line way better than the 4th line I offered. Good call.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Ok, I like that line way better than the 4th line I offered. Good call.
I'll take both your lines and throw up Peters-Begin-Mair.

I don't think Roy should play on the fourth line because he's not going to be getting ice time. I'd rather him play on the first or second line in Rochester than get 6 minutes of ice time here. That's just a career stunter.

Old
09-23-2003, 04:21 PM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

I agree.Roy would benifit alot more by playing for Rochester.. I just want to see this kid plaiyng on the team so bad...maybe he would could play some pk time...

Brown and Roy ....wow, one good pk line

Old
09-23-2003, 04:27 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
I don't know but I like Roy on the 3rd line with Connolly and Max. The way I see it, Tim and Max are both due for breakout years. Max has the speed, Connolly has the hands, and Roy has the grit. The three should work well together. Roy digs the puck outta the corner, gets it to Connolly who slides it to Max for the goal. That's what I think could happen with that line. Plus if Tim and Max do break out this year, Roy is in for some good numbers if he's centering thier line.

Kotalik - Drury - Satan
Hecht - Brier - Dumont
Connolly - Roy - Afinogenov
Mair - Brown - Pyatt

Old
09-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Mair - Brown - Pyatt
Ouch. That's not much of an energy fourth line.

Old
09-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Just to add a little seasoning to this conversation, Begin scored a nice backhand goal over Miller in tonights scrimmage/practice. Ruff seemed pretty pleased (vocal) and Begin jokingly blew on his blade as he skated past the white team bench. Not make or break, but amusing to see.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:52 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
He's 22. Thankfully the Oilers gave up on Satan when he was 24.

Connolly will be fine. Already you are seeing more of an edge from Connolly. He showed me something new last year by playing on the PK - and playing well on it.

Am I pissed off by his development, or lack thereof? Sure. You try screwing someone who just turned legal out of their paycheck. They probably won't handle it too well. Pyatt regressed last year too. Pyatt doesn't physically kill people (and Pyatt, unlike Connolly, can).

Getting rid of Connolly to make room for Begin would be incredibly stupid. That won't happen, fortunately.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:59 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
Personally, I've given up on Connolly. Some people say it's way too soon, and that was me just before this offseason. I defended this guy the entire time he's been here, saying "He's young. Give him time". And I even defended him last year. Rifle through my old posts and you will see all sorts of Tim Connolly loving madness. I waited and vehemently told people to wait and see, too. I knew he'd come around one day.

What did he go out and do? He went out and proved my absolutely wrong with that heartless season he just finished.

Connolly is a noob.
That is what you call a growing pain. He's 22. Find someone else on this roster who accomplished more than Connolly at 21. You have Zhitnik, Kalinin and Patrick (so much for defensemen taking longer).

Then consider the ownerless environment everyone had to play in. This affects younger players more than older ones, I would guess. Pyatt and Connolly were ripped off of bonuses, so they would be particularly affected.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Just to add a little seasoning to this conversation, Begin scored a nice backhand goal over Miller in tonights scrimmage/practice. Ruff seemed pretty pleased (vocal) and Begin jokingly blew on his blade as he skated past the white team bench. Not make or break, but amusing to see.
Vogl noticed that too... http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...24/1031712.asp

<i>He had the prettiest goal of the night Tuesday, slicing to the net and lifting the puck over the shoulder of goaltender Ryan Miller. He then had his teammates laughing as he skated to the bench, lifting his stick to his mouth and blowing on it as if it were hotter than lava as a big smile spread across his face. </i>

Nice words from 'mate Drury and Ruff:

<i>"He's got terrific upside," said Drury, who spent last year as Begin's teammate. "Not only does he play hard, fights and does all the dirty things, he's got a lot of skill, too. I think as time goes on here that'll come through.

"He's an extremely hard-working guy, always looking to get better."

Begin arrived in Buffalo as a center, but he was on the left wing Tuesday night. With as many as six centers on the roster, Begin has no problem with moving over if it gets him on the ice.

"I've liked the way he's performed," Ruff said, "and I can utilize him in every position." </i>

And of course he's saying the right things too:

<i>"I play left wing, right wing, center, so I'm an all-around player," Begin said. "Wherever they want to put me I'll go. I want to stick around, and if I want to I've got to know how to play every position.

"Just go out there and get the job done. That's all I want to do."</i>

Old
09-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
That looks like a decent enough 3rd line but are you kidding me for a 4th line? No way.

Mair-Begin-Peters= 4th line...pencil it in.
Right on, JTL.

For everyone complaining we didn't have enough heart and grit last offseason, here's your line. (Note: those are the same people clamoring for a fourth line with Connolly, Afinogenov, and the Pink Ranger this offseason). Nothing like two contradictory, conflicting themes for this club. Last year Regier was evil for fielding pint sized, softies, and now we want all the snuggly little dudes we can get on the ice.

Personally, I'm sticking to last year's theme. Where's the heart, the grit, and the toughness?

Begin is just a piece of the puzzle.

Oh, and this team is actually softer than last year without Warrener. Pesonally, I think we need more than what we have now. I'd like a gritty third line guy and a big, tough defenseman (right sider off course).

Old
09-24-2003, 08:26 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

We eliminated Gratton, who despite his size was Charmin' soft. Peters may actually be an enforcer, which Boulton and Ray weren't. That could have a large impact as well.

In terms of overall effect:

Gratton vs. Briere: Briere
Begin vs. Varada: Varada
Peters vs. Boutlon: Peters
Warrener vs. Delmore: Warrener

Yeah, we do need more grit.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime
Honestly a fourth line consisting of Bouton, Begin and Mair would be tough but thats aobut it..
Exactly.

Anyway, I'd like to see Roy center the 3rd and shift Brown to LW on the 3rd or 4th.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

[QUOTE=zbubble]Why does the 4th line only have to get 6 minutes?

QUOTE]

So you can have Satan and the top guys eat up the most ice time. I'd rather have Satan on the ice than anyone else. The more he's out there and the less some of the other guys are, the better. That's why.

And no, Satan is no overworked in the regular season. We roll four lines and utilize the fourth line. They just don't eat up valuable ice time for the top lines.

Oh, and if by doing something you mean turning it into a line of "over glorified" pansies, then woohoo for that.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble
Why does the 4th line only have to get 6 minutes?

It has in the past because we always had two guys with no talent on it being glorified bench door openers. Ray's gone and Boulton's out for a while, so now's the chance to really do something with it.

I'd like to see a real fourth line that gets real ice time (10-12 min) so we can finally roll 4 lines.

Agreed.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Oh, and guys like Mair are real fourth liners...

Mair and Begin are both guys that can contribute and play. Just because they don't melt like ice cream doesn't mean they can't be good contributors.

I don't understand this obsession with filling the fourth line with "scorers" that don't actually score. It's not like we'd be putting a 20 goal scorer on this line. It's the difference between an 8-10 goal scorer with a sack and a 12 goal scorer with none.

Have the four goals and give me the pair of b@lls.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
Any form of Mair-Begin-Peters works for me. I think they all can tally a few goals and be the biggest pests to have to handle. Bolts should fit in as well but I like Peters size now that he has added the weight.
That's my ultimate line, too, with Boulton and Peters swapping if need be. But Mair and Begin should be regulars.

I think that's a line with two guys that can play and one big enforcer (if Peters sticks). All teams have a a tough, energy fourth line and at least one guy for the sole purpose of fighting. I'm glad Ruff sounds like he will stick to this formula and not stray from it to find places on the 4th line for guys like Max and Timmah.

Honestly, name a fourth line in the league with guys on it like that. Everywhere you look you see fourth lines with hitters, fighters, or character guys.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Oh, and Mair and Begin will more than make up for what they don't produce in goals (which will actually be decent) by throwing other teams off their game. Being a pest, agitator, and hitter, frustrates other teams. We need to do more than just score goals this year. We have to prevent the other team from doing it as well...hence the need of defensive forwards and agitators to get their mind off the game.

Mair and Begin will rile some people up, for sure. Hopefully, the new improved Peters can be the guy to make sure those riled opponents get put back in their place.

Closed Thread