HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Only 8 skaters left from last Sabres playoff game

Old
07-01-2013, 12:20 AM
rabi

vCash: 500
Only 8 skaters left from last Sabres playoff game

Weber, McCormick, Stafford, Vanek, Gerbe, Ennis, Myers, Kaleta

Miller / Enroth in net

Last edited by joshjull: 07-01-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: make it 8...added Kaleta...didn't play in last game
rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:21 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

sad.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:26 AM
dotcommunism

I'm not sure I get the point. Is it supposed to be that the team hasn't made the playoffs the past two seasons? Or is it supposed to be that there are only a few guys left from that team that got bounced in the first round and hasn't made the playoffs since? I don't follow

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:26 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Given that everyone universally understood that the team needed to be torn down and be put through a rebuild this honestly shouldn't be shocking to anyone.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Should be 3

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:02 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I read this post and thought "hooray! We're rebuilding thoroughly!"

Not sure where the glum faces came from. Should we be trying to limp along with the same cast that peaked years ago until they all retire?

We're holding onto all the important pieces, and that's the main thing.

If it's entertainment value over the next few years we're worried about, personally, I would rather watch the formative struggles of a future champion (especially if they're a hard working team, which seems to be the emphasis) than watch the chronic underachieving of a past also-ran. I haven't really enjoyed these Sabres for years. Their record could get much worse next year, but if I feel like I'm watching the cup winning core take shape, I'm happy.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
sad.
sad? why... do you remember our last playoff game? the less the better...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
Given that everyone universally understood that the team needed to be torn down and be put through a rebuild this honestly shouldn't be shocking to anyone.
some knew much earlier than others

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

I don't see Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe or Keleta in the future of the Sabres in 3 years.

Miller and Vanek are probably on their way out, McCormick will probably never play NHL again.

Weber, Myers I can see as part of the rebuilding core.

Enroth I think might just be a temporary goalie giving way for Hackett and Makarov.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
joshjull

You could argue McCormick is gone as well.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
I don't see Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe or Keleta in the future of the Sabres in 3 years..
I disagree. Kaleta is a heart and soul guy who has become a very reliable defensive forward. He's also a super-pest who brings a great physical game. You absolutely need a guy like Kaleta on your team, especially come playoff time.

Kaleta is a keeper and should be a staple on this teams 4th line for the long term.

Vito_81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:29 PM
McTank

Ennis, Myers, Weber and Kaleta can stay

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Kaleta is a keeper and should be a staple on this teams 4th line for the long term.
He's expendable, Tropp can play pest and has the offensive upside to contribute. I'm tired of being a 3 line team.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Ennis, Myers, Weber and Kaleta can stay
Ennis is too small and streaky, he has great hands and huge offensive upside but he needs to bring that every night or hes a liability.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
He's expendable, Tropp can play pest and has the offensive upside to contribute. I'm tired of being a 3 line team.
Why not have both?

I also fail to see why its Kaleta's fault that we are a 3 line team in your eyes.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Ennis is too small and streaky, he has great hands and huge offensive upside but he needs to bring that every night or hes a liability.
Bring what every night? Offense? How many players in this league provide offensive every night? Thats an absurd expectation.

Btw as a 20 and 21 year old he played in 2 different playoffs series and put up pretty good numbers. 13gms 3g 5a 8pts

Old
07-01-2013, 01:48 PM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

Blame Mike Richards and the chicken **** NHL. I guess it's ok to viciously board someone from behind and just get a 2 min penalty.Not even a major and no suspension. Sabres had the series won until Richards crunched Connolly and the team crumbled. Wish we had some tough big guys back then that would have done the same to Giroux that Richards did to Connolly.

Out of those listed players I would keep the following...

Vanek - #1 LW
Ennis - #2 LW or #2 C
Myers - Top pairing dman
Weber - #6 dman
Kaleta - 4th line agitator

Miller/Enroth = goalie tandem

Gerbe and McCormick can leave the team and I would be happy. Stafford is conflicting, I would definitely trade him if the right deal comes along but I wouldn't dump him for scraps like so many here want to do. I'd gladly keep Stafford on my team as a #2 or #3 RW, not easy finding 22 goal scorers who can PK and are under the age of 30.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Why not have both?

I also fail to see why its Kaleta's fault that we are a 3 line team in your eyes.
I'm not saying he's a defensive liability but he isn't exactly offensively gifted, I would like to see the 4th line actually have some offensive talent. Blackhawks for example (4 line team)

Quote:
Bring what every night? Offense? How many players in this league provide offensive every night? Thats an absurd expectation.

Btw as a 20 and 21 year old he played in 2 different playoffs series and put up pretty good numbers. 13gms 3g 5a 8pts
I'm not trying to say he needs to be a point per game player necessarily (it would be nice) but he goes on very long cold streaks. That needs to be fixed. Also his size is a problem. What good does he do for Buffalo when he's concussed or gets his back broken like Gerbe.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:59 PM
McTank

Quote:
I agree but he's a young top 6 forward and could fit in nicely on an easy minutes line when the rebuild is complete

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:00 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm not saying he's a defensive liability but he isn't exactly offensively gifted, I would like to see the 4th line actually have some offensive talent. Blackhawks for example (4 line team)
He's been relatively productive for a 4th liner in the playoffs with 2g 3a 5pts in 12 playoff games.

Not sure why you are singling out the Hawks as an example of 4 lines that produce since their bottom 6 didn't really provide much offense.

Quote:
I'm not trying to say he needs to be a point per game player necessarily (it would be nice) but he goes on very long cold streaks. That needs to be fixed. Also his size is a problem. What good does he do for Buffalo when he's concussed or gets his back broken like Gerbe.
Every forward goes on cold streaks, it the nature of the beast. Come playoffs he has been pretty productive as I pointed out in the previous post. Obviously if he is out injured he isnt contributing and that applies to any player. Not sure what Gerbe has to do with anything.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Not sure why you are singling out the Hawks as an example of 4 lines that produce
Ok so not the best example but look at Anaheim for instance, their 4th line managed to produce 10 goals, doesn't seem like much but those goals are the difference between 1 goal games and look how many 1 goal games the Sabres lost this year.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
He's been relatively productive for a 4th liner in the playoffs with 2g 3a 5pts in 12 playoff games.

Not sure why you are singling out the Hawks as an example of 4 lines that produce since their bottom 6 didn't really provide much offense.

Every forward goes on cold streaks, it the nature of the beast. Come playoffs he has been pretty productive as I pointed out in the previous post. Obviously if he is out injured he isnt contributing and that applies to any player. Not sure what Gerbe has to do with anything.
He was used only as an example.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Ok so not the best example but look at Anaheim for instance, their 4th line managed to produce 10 goals, doesn't seem like much but those goals are the difference between 1 goal games and look how many 1 goal games the Sabres lost this year.
The Ducks lost in the first round because their team defense sucked. Part of that was due to playing too many offensive players in the bottom 6.

So thats a great example of why you don't focus on offense with your 4th line.

Most successful playoff teams have 4th lines that play strong two way hockey. Something Kaleta does.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Kaleta is the last thing keeping us from rolling four lines. People extrapolating from this season seem really intent on ignoring the other two parts of the fourth line being in shambles for pretty much all year.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Kaleta can play on any team's 4th line. There's absolutely no reason to get rid of him until not one but several players force him out of the bottom 6 and off the team. He's a strong defensive winger, a high-energy player, a strong forechecker, and can play in the offensive cycle game. Did I mention his PKing, because he's arguably the best on the team.

Talking about Tropp or whoever else unseating him is really premature. First, they have to make the team on a permanent basis and even then, Tropp is probably on the 3rd line and only has effect on Kaleta if the guy he forces down forces Pat out. Well, if that guy is, say, Kevin Porter (he's a center but you get the point), then no. I'd rather have Kaleta on my 4th line than Porter (as a winger).

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote