HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Chara pummels Yemelin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
  #76
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
So an exchange for anyone of these players is a good deal for Boston?

Alexei Yemelin
Jay Harrison
Chris Neil
Robyn Reghr
Jody Shelley
Chris Neil
Michael Rupp
Chris Thorburn
Boris Valabik
Evgeny Artyukhin
Guillaume Latendresse

If Chara can exchange himself for anyone of these guys, with Reghr being the only small argument of a toss up exchange, then he should be able to fight MacIntyre or Orr at least once.

My point is, if Chara won't fight guys his size, then he shouldn't be under any circumstances be picking on guys much much smaller than him. Especially when his own player is doing his best Alexei Kovalev imitation.
Valabik is 6'7 250, Artyukhin is 6'5 260, Thorburn is 6'3 230, Rupp is 6'5 235, Regehr is 6'4 235, Shelley is 6'3 230. Neil is a pro scrapper, Harrison is 6'4 218 and a scrapper.

Size point doesn't work really.

And what is this with that dumb logic about not going after "smaller" players under any circumctances? Let's extend that logic, no one should fight if he can't fight Steve MacIntyre. And MacIntyre shouldn't fight aswell, he can't handle Emelianenko.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:51 PM
  #77
BudMovin*
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
well all the players of his caliber are about 6 plus inches shorter so
So he only should fight 2 min a game goons because he is bigger than everyone else with any real skill? He doesn't fight these guys because he has nothing to prove (He fought all the heavies back in the day). Everyone knows he is as tough as they come. No sense in taking yourself off the ice for 5 with a beer league caliber guy on the other side. Chara is too busy being the captain of a cup caliber team and a top D in this league to waste his time with these hacks.

You also have to take in account how many minutes he plays. The heavies only step on the ice at the end of his shifts, since he always sent out to match up against other team's top lines. Chances are he is probably pretty tired in the pic with Colton Orr.

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:59 PM
  #78
JLP
Refugee
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
You continue to make this way too difficult.

1) Emelin cross checked Seguin in the ribs.
2) He cross checked him hard enough to break his stick.
3) Chara saw the cross check, saw Seguin go down, and jumped Emelin.

End of story and not even remotely a big deal.

Whether Seguin cracked a rib, bruised a rib, or is absolutely fine is irrelevant. Chara did not and is not ever going to wait for the diagnosis to act.

And my guess is this is the fans who are doing all the wailing about all of this -- "Chara's a big bully, why doesn't he pick on someone his own size, doesn't he know Alexei has plates in his face, waah, waah, waah."

I've not heard anything about Emelin complaining. I assume (hope) that he's a big boy and knows that if you play rough this stuff happens. Sertiously, what on earth is the big deal?

A question for you: Do you think that rushing across the ice and knocking a guy to the ice and then pummeling him while he's down is okay if the player doing so believes he has a good enough reason?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
  #79
Ryp37
Registered User
 
Ryp37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
So he only should fight 2 min a game goons because he is bigger than everyone else with any real skill? He doesn't fight these guys because he has nothing to prove (He fought all the heavies back in the day). Everyone knows he is as tough as they come. No sense in taking yourself off the ice for 5 with a beer league caliber guy on the other side. Chara is too busy being the captain of a cup caliber team and a top D in this league to waste his time with these hacks.

You also have to take in account how many minutes he plays. The heavies only step on the ice at the end of his shifts, since he always sent out to match up against other team's top lines. Chances are he is probably pretty tired in the pic with Colton Orr.
lol I didn't say that, I said he can pick his spots because he's a roster player without having to fight, but if anyone that matches his skill were to fight they're heavily outmatched

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
  #80
JLP
Refugee
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Dude, I'm from Russia. I know Yemelin much better than you do. He's an agitator. He got his metal plates because of that too btw. He's a rather dirty player, and a diver.
Twice the hits of Chara and one-third the PIM -- Emelin is doing a great job of concealing his dirtiness.

Seguin is the new Ribeiro.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  #81
BudMovin*
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
lol I didn't say that, I said he can pick his spots because he's a roster player without having to fight, but if anyone that matches his skill were to fight they're heavily outmatched
I should stop drinking coffee and get back to writing my paper. Guess I'll read your post more closely before I dissect it .

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  #82
Ryp37
Registered User
 
Ryp37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,324
vCash: 500
but everyone is correct anytime Chara senses he's losing he pulls them down, smart for him bad for us as viewers

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:04 PM
  #83
Godzilla
Registered User
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post

I'll eat crow, and gladly, if Chara goes toe to toe with John Scott... a fight isn't grabbing someone and falling to the ice with him either, he has to go toe to toe with Scott.

Then I'll eat crow and praise Chara to no end. Until then, I'm going to continue calling a spade a spade.
It makes me wonder if Chara would have been so eager to drop the mitts if it was John Scott who tickled Seguin like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Dude, I'm from Russia. I know Yemelin much better than you do. He's an agitator. He got his metal plates because of that too btw. He's a rather dirty player, and a diver.
Then stick to watching the KHL because here in the NHL he hasn't shown an ounce of dirty play.

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
  #84
BudMovin*
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
It makes me wonder if Chara would have been so eager to drop the mitts if it was John Scott who tickled Seguin like that.
I highly doubt John Scott (2 min a game 4th liner) is on the ice at the same time as both Chara (1st pairing D) and Seguin (top 6 forward).

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
  #85
Godzilla
Registered User
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
I highly doubt John Scott (2 min a game 4th liner) is on the ice at the same time as both Chara (1st pairing D) and Seguin (top 6 forward).
I understand your point, but it doesn't answer my question. Would Chara have the cahones to drop the mitts if Scott is the one to touch Seguin?

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
  #86
Analyzer*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,976
vCash: 50
Chara did what he had to do.

However, this just tells me Shawn Thornton isn't as popular a team guy as one would think. It would lead you to believe that Scott pummeling Thornton's head in is and they're not going to try to go after Scott.

The cross check is where there's not much protection so it would hurt, but to drop him like that... I don't know.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:21 PM
  #87
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Chara did what he had to do.

However, this just tells me Shawn Thornton isn't as popular a team guy as one would think. It would lead you to believe that Scott pummeling Thornton's head in is and they're not going to try to go after Scott.

The cross check is where there's not much protection so it would hurt, but to drop him like that... I don't know.
Beating a guy in a one on one fight is not a cheap shot that calls for retribution. Breaking your stick on our most skilled players ribs is.

I'm with the camp that says this is not really as big a deal as most are making it out to be. Chara thought someone took liberties with our best forward, and made sure he was made aware that there would be a consequence for that. Emelin (who I really like as a player, great open ice hitter) is fine, and is probably not concerned about it at all. I'm sure Emelin would do the same thing tomorrow in a rough game, as would Chara. It's hockey.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
  #88
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I understand your point, but it doesn't answer my question. Would Chara have the cahones to drop the mitts if Scott is the one to touch Seguin?
Chara would hammer Scott.

I thought Emelin did quite well actually. Compared to what happened to Chris Neil. He might even have gotten the first shot in there. Definitely a cheapshot on Seguin, but we owe the Bruins a million of those.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
  #89
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
It makes me wonder if Chara would have been so eager to drop the mitts if it was John Scott who tickled Seguin like that.



Then stick to watching the KHL because here in the NHL he hasn't shown an ounce of dirty play.
LOL, he's that kind of a player. And the only thing he changed is the fact, he's more cautious in NHL. Once he settles down, he will start his cheap antics, and if he played on a tougher team, it would have happened long time ago.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:26 PM
  #90
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Dude, I'm from Russia. I know Yemelin much better than you do. He's an agitator. He got his metal plates because of that too btw. He's a rather dirty player, and a diver.
Yep, I love him. He's a strong one too.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
  #91
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
A question for you: Do you think that rushing across the ice and knocking a guy to the ice and then pummeling him while he's down is okay if the player doing so believes he has a good enough reason?
Boston's recent history of taking cheap shots to their better players is not good:

- Marc Savard gets a cross check the back by Steve Begin that breaks a vertebrae.

- Marc Savard takes the mother of all cheap shots from Matt Cooke -- essentially ends his career.

- Patrice Bergeron loses dozens and dozens of games and nearly his career to a foolish and reckless boarding by Randy Jones.

- Nathan Horton gets a concussion that some still don't think he's back to form from courtesy of a late, high hit from Aaron Rome.

So when you see one of the future stars of your team go down in a heap courtesy of a cheap shot, you probably tend to take action first and ask questions later.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter if I think it's ok or not -- and Alexei Emelin shouldn't worry about it either. He should just know that chances are if he takes a cheap shot at a Bruin, he can expect to get jumped. If he has plates in his face he needs to worry about, perhaps he should curtail the cheap cross checks.

By the way, I'm not suggesting Boston has it any better or worse than other teams. All teams have injuries stemming from bad plays. For example, I thought Chara was overly aggressive and reckless with Pacioretty and deserved league intervention. Do I think he meant to break his neck? No. No more than Randy Jones meant to badly hurt Patrice Bergeron (Matt Cooke on Savard is an ENTIRELY different situation). If I were a Habs fan would I have wanted to see some reaction? Yes.

The point is, any player who wants to throw cheapshots or engage in dangerous, reckless play should expect to have to pay a price and should not expect to get a warning when that price is coming.

It's the sort of policing that I think has SOME effect -- certainly more than the inconsistent and shoddy refereeing we see from the league (particularly this season -- both pro and con as far as Bruins go, by the way).

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
  #92
Analyzer*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,976
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Beating a guy in a one on one fight is not a cheap shot that calls for retribution. Breaking your stick on our most skilled players ribs is.

I'm with the camp that says this is not really as big a deal as most are making it out to be. Chara thought someone took liberties with our best forward, and made sure he was made aware that there would be a consequence for that. Emelin (who I really like as a player, great open ice hitter) is fine, and is probably not concerned about it at all. I'm sure Emelin would do the same thing tomorrow in a rough game, as would Chara. It's hockey.
You have your points. Since Emelin's face wasn't pounded in, I'm sure he'd take that tomorrow to have the win.

However, one would think you'd want at least a little revenge for Thornton. He pretty much challenged a guy he knew (or at least I would think he knew) wouldn't beat, got a concussion and missed games. For what ? To lose ?

------

Emelin isn't a dirty player. That cross check, and the time he smoked Malone when he didn't have the puck anymore are the 2 dirty plays he did. Other than that, he smokes people clean. When he hipchecks, he doesn't target the knee, or "low bridge" them. It's fine to be pissed at Emelin for the cross check, but to on a tirade about being dirty, a cheap shot artist, etc is just nuts.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
  #93
JLP
Refugee
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Boston's recent history of taking cheap shots to their better players is not good:

- Marc Savard gets a cross check the back by Steve Begin that breaks a vertebrae.

- Marc Savard takes the mother of all cheap shots from Matt Cooke -- essentially ends his career.

- Patrice Bergeron loses dozens and dozens of games and nearly his career to a foolish and reckless boarding by Randy Jones.

- Nathan Horton gets a concussion that some still don't think he's back to form from courtesy of a late, high hit from Aaron Rome.

So when you see one of the future stars of your team go down in a heap courtesy of a cheap shot, you probably tend to take action first and ask questions later.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter if I think it's ok or not -- and Alexei Emelin shouldn't worry about it either. He should just know that chances are if he takes a cheap shot at a Bruin, he can expect to get jumped. If he has plates in his face he needs to worry about, perhaps he should curtail the cheap cross checks.

By the way, I'm not suggesting Boston has it any better or worse than other teams. All teams have injuries stemming from bad plays. For example, I thought Chara was overly aggressive and reckless with Pacioretty and deserved league intervention. Do I think he meant to break his neck? No. No more than Randy Jones meant to badly hurt Patrice Bergeron (Matt Cooke on Savard is an ENTIRELY different situation). If I were a Habs fan would I have wanted to see some reaction? Yes.

The point is, any player who wants to throw cheapshots or engage in dangerous, reckless play should expect to have to pay a price and should not expect to get a warning when that price is coming.

It's the sort of policing that I think has SOME effect -- certainly more than the inconsistent and shoddy refereeing we see from the league (particularly this season -- both pro and con as far as Bruins go, by the way).
Thx for the reasonable response.

That self-policing argument I can't agree with because it makes one fired up guy both the judge and executioner. Emelin didn't hurt Seguin (who IMO slipped then embellished), but in Chara's head in that moment he might have thought Seguin was seriously injured. So jumped Emelin and might have blinded him given the plates in his face. I can't support this sort of reckless escalation.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
  #94
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Thx for the reasonable response.

That self-policing argument I can't agree with because it makes one fired up guy both the judge and executioner. Emelin didn't hurt Seguin (who IMO slipped then embellished), but in Chara's head in that moment he might have thought Seguin was seriously injured. So jumped Emelin and might have blinded him given the plates in his face. I can't support this sort of reckless escalation.
I agree, there is that risk.

I'm certain that at least some of this stems (for the Bruins, at least) from what has been pretty atrocious officiating this season.

For example, the other night Lucic gets cross checked face first into the boards, right in front of the referee. Nothing insane, but clearly at minimum a two minute minor by any objective measure.

No call by the ref, Lucic goes after the guy and punches him. Lucic gets at least 2 minutes (maybe 4, I can't remember). So instead of a Bruins PP, we're on PK.

Now Lucic maybe should have kept his cool, but that has happened over and over again this season. Sooner or later, young (particularly the feisty intense) players take things into their own hands.

I don't know if the refs are not up to speed because of the lockout or what, but I've seen it all season (both for and against Bruins). Talking with other fans, it seems they have too and frustration levels are high. NHL needs and deserves better officiating.

Emelin hacks at Seguin's ribs (I know you and I disagree on severity/intent). Maybe if ref makes a call on that play, cooler heads prevail. I do know that in absence of call, at this point it's a virtual guarantee that someone goes after Emelin and handles it themselves.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
  #95
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Chara would hammer Scott.

I thought Emelin did quite well actually. Compared to what happened to Chris Neil. He might even have gotten the first shot in there. Definitely a cheapshot on Seguin, but we owe the Bruins a million of those.
some people will never understand I see. And what happended to Neil? Oh yeah, nothing because Chara balance is crap

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
  #96
masyo88*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
This is coming from a perspective from a neutral that is not a fan of either of these teams. Chara sees Seguin on the ice in pain after Emelin made contact with him and sees Emelin skating of with a broken stick. Only a habs fan would think that Chara had no right to pummel Emelin for that. You touch a teams young star player and that is whats going to happen. If Emelin is going to go run around like he does, the metal plate thing is no excuse for someone not to take him to task. That's what tough teams do, but Habs fans don't know what a tough team has been for years so kind of hard to blame them when they are clueless on what defending each other means. If that Marchand did that to Gally and Prust pounded Marchand I have a suspicion that Hab fans would be singing a different tune . Weren't you guys drooling over what Ryan White did earlier this year lol.

Also please Chara is a big boy but he is not a guy that the heavyweight fighters on the NHL are scared of. Chara can throw them with guys that he knows he can pound, but lord knows he gets a bad case of "falling" backwards when he fights a guy that knows how to throw them. If he fought regular heavies and tried to stay up I think he'd get exposed a little.

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
  #97
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
This is coming from a perspective from a neutral that is not a fan of either of these teams. Chara sees Seguin on the ice in pain after Emelin made contact with him and sees Emelin skating of with a broken stick. Only a habs fan would think that Chara had no right to pummel Emelin for that. You touch a teams young star player and that is whats going to happen. If Emelin is going to go run around like he does, the metal plate thing is no excuse for someone not to take him to task. That's what tough teams do, but Habs fans don't know what a tough team has been for years so kind of hard to blame them when they are clueless on what defending each other means. If that Marchand did that to Gally and Prust pounded Marchand I have a suspicion that Hab fans would be singing a different tune . Weren't you guys drooling over what Ryan White did earlier this year lol.

Also please Chara is a big boy but he is not a guy that the heavyweight fighters on the NHL are scared of. Chara can throw them with guys that he knows he can pound, but lord knows he gets a bad case of "falling" backwards when he fights a guy that knows how to throw them. If he fought regular heavies and tried to stay up I think he'd get exposed a little.
I think this is on the nose. I don't know of anyone in Boston who thinks of Chara as some sort of heavyweight fighter. Great defenseman, tough and physical? Yes, absolutely. We are thrilled to have him. However, you are right, he's not some sort of extreme fighter -- no matter how much HF posters from other teams think he should be.

I bet a dollar that if asked, Chara would say the same thing. He's bright, pretty down to earth, and pretty humble. Awesome Captain..... just awesome.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
  #98
Hnidy Hnight
Registered User
 
Hnidy Hnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I think this is on the nose. I don't know of anyone in Boston who thinks of Chara as some sort of heavyweight fighter. Great defenseman, tough and physical? Yes, absolutely. We are thrilled to have him. However, you are right, he's not some sort of extreme fighter -- no matter how much HF posters from other teams think he should be.

I bet a dollar that if asked, Chara would say the same thing. He's bright, pretty down to earth, and pretty humble. Awesome Captain..... just awesome.
I know we take the big man for granted sometimes. But the bolded couldn't speak more truth

Hnidy Hnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:34 PM
  #99
MarchandMadness 63*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Memo to Emelin,this is what happens when you try to take out our 21 year old future franchise player.

MarchandMadness 63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
  #100
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,549
vCash: 844
-If Emelin is that medically fragile that he is more vunerable to punches, he should wear a facemask(and probably not crosscheck people)

-Chara is freaking huge.There should be some kind of no Chara fighting rule.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.