HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Chara pummels Yemelin

Old
03-04-2013, 10:38 PM
bb_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Then stick to watching the KHL because here in the NHL he hasn't shown an ounce of dirty play.
ya, except for that cross check to the ribs on seguin where he broke his stick.

oh,,, wait... that doesnt fit your view of the world does it.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:25 AM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
but everyone is correct anytime Chara senses he's losing he pulls them down, smart for him bad for us as viewers
wrestling comes naturally to him

in the Shelley fight he was dominating Shelley and starting to ragdoll him, if he hadn't thrown Shelley down with the wrestling move it looks like he would have pounded his face in instead, but like someone else said, possibly at a cost to his own knuckles

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
ya, except for that cross check to the ribs on seguin where he broke his stick.

oh,,, wait... that doesnt fit your view of the world does it.
I've said it before and I will say it again. My 12 year old son can break one of those sticks taking a wrist shot, and 10 of those are broken every game so don't go crazy because Emelin broke one tapping Femmeguin with it.

I understand where you are coming from, and I understand where Chara felt the need to defend his teamate...but it cost your team dearly and we took advantage of it. If Chara had half a brain, he would have taken down his number and punished him another time instead of putting his team against the ropes. However, I probably appreciate the fact that he lost it more than you do.

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:21 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
wrestling comes naturally to him

in the Shelley fight he was dominating Shelley and starting to ragdoll him, if he hadn't thrown Shelley down with the wrestling move it looks like he would have pounded his face in instead, but like someone else said, possibly at a cost to his own knuckles
we don't have the same meaning of "ragdoll". And lol at pounding is face if he would have keep on. Chara always pound the face of is opponent

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Number8

Quote:
I've said it before and I will say it again. My 12 year old son can break one of those sticks taking a wrist shot, and 10 of those are broken every game so don't go crazy because Emelin broke one tapping Femmeguin with it.

I understand where you are coming from, and I understand where Chara felt the need to defend his teamate...but it cost your team dearly and we took advantage of it. If Chara had half a brain, he would have taken down his number and punished him another time instead of putting his team against the ropes. However, I probably appreciate the fact that he lost it more than you do.
True.... but Chara's immediate action will pay far more dividends down the road than 2 points that gave the Habs first place in March (albeit with a few games in hand). Team unity counts for a lot.

Bruins locker room is very tight and this is what Championship teams do -- sometimes losing a battle in preparation for winning the war.

In Montreal, we hear of problems signing your star defenseman and rumblings that it might not all be love and happiness in the room. In Boston, we hear players and coaches publicly saying their Captain has their back and that's awesome.

We'll see how big and strong Emelin plays next game. Particularly given the fact that although Habs fans seem very concerned about the plates in his face, the Bruins clearly don't care. Take a cheap shot, be prepared to pay the piper -- particularly in a non playoff game.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:52 AM
bdawg1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I hate Boston, but I am so envious of the Bruins for having Chara. What an absolute stud that guy is. 6'9, 270lbs who can skate, fight, shoot and is likely the best defenseman in the world. He's also captain of his NHL team and National Team, and is one of the most intelligent people in the NHL.

Why couldn't he have signed with the good guys in Toronto?
Well, he sure doesn't look like it.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:53 AM
bdawg1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
True.... but Chara's immediate action will pay far more dividends down the road than 2 points that gave the Habs first place in March (albeit with a few games in hand). Team unity counts for a lot.

Bruins locker room is very tight and this is what Championship teams do -- sometimes losing a battle in preparation for winning the war.

In Montreal, we hear of problems signing your star defenseman and rumblings that it might not all be love and happiness in the room. In Boston, we hear players and coaches publicly saying their Captain has their back and that's awesome.

We'll see how big and strong Emelin plays next game. Particularly given the fact that although Habs fans seem very concerned about the plates in his face, the Bruins clearly don't care. Take a cheap shot, be prepared to pay the piper -- particularly in a non playoff game.
You heard wrong then. PK Subban is anything but hated. Just take a quick peak at 24CH and see for yourself what's our lockerroom like.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Godzilla

Quote:

You win one cup in 40 years and all of a sudden the Bruins are the epitome of a championship team? I think you need to get a little perspective.

Nowadays a championship team is a short lived affair, so your Bruins are no more a championship team than any of the other teams in the league at this point.

As for the locker room problems, it was nothing more than a hockey starved Montreal media frenzy that had no merit, which was fueled by none other than PJ Stock...the worst of them all. If our locker room was in such a shambles right now, we would not be in 1st place in the east.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Number8

Quote:
You win one cup in 40 years and all of a sudden the Bruins are the epitome of a championship team? I think you need to get a little perspective.

Nowadays a championship team is a short lived affair, so your Bruins are no more a championship team than any of the other teams in the league at this point.

As for the locker room problems, it was nothing more than a hockey starved Montreal media frenzy that had no merit, which was fueled by none other than PJ Stock...the worst of them all. If our locker room was in such a shambles right now, we would not be in 1st place in the east.
Quite true, the LA Kings are the league champions right now.

I was simply responding to one of your brethren who suggested that Chara's reaction to Emelin was foolish, that we get nothing for moral victories, and that your two points from that game and first place position (albeit with several games in hand) was what it was all about.

I was just saying that the benefits of having your Captain immediately step up to defend one of your star players can pay huge dividends in the long run -- and that that is what good teams do for one another.

With all due respect, I can also say that your first place in the east on March 5 is worth less than the Bruins recent Cup win. Fair?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
You heard wrong then. PK Subban is anything but hated. Just take a quick peak at 24CH and see for yourself what's our lockerroom like.
The quotes from some of your players when informed that Subban was finally back in the fold came across as fairly ambivalent and certainly less than excited. No big deal.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
The quotes from some of your players when informed that Subban was finally back in the fold came across as fairly ambivalent and certainly less than excited. No big deal.
IMO The team was playing well and wanted to remain professional and not go all gaga over an important addition. I guess they just want to keep him humble because Therrien has been preaching its all about the team, not individuals. Just my take.

As for Subban, he may be every bit the dick that he's portrayed as. But as long as he shows up and plays better than most players on the team, I don't think his team will give a damn. There are alot of dicks in sport, but as long as they show up and play well, teammates, for the most part, don't give a damn. It's when they are dicks and start dogging it that's a problem.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 03-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Quite true, the LA Kings are the league champions right now.

I was simply responding to one of your brethren who suggested that Chara's reaction to Emelin was foolish, that we get nothing for moral victories, and that your two points from that game and first place position (albeit with several games in hand) was what it was all about.

I was just saying that the benefits of having your Captain immediately step up to defend one of your star players can pay huge dividends in the long run -- and that that is what good teams do for one another.

With all due respect, I can also say that your first place in the east on March 5 is worth less than the Bruins recent Cup win. Fair?
Its absolutely fair. I in no means meant to boast about being in first, as I am aware that Boston has 3 games in hand on us and that we have to do more than win 14 games to prove anything, but we are just happy to be competitive considering the debacle of a season we had last year. Unfortunately some of us Habs fans are just not as humble as we should when things are going well.

I totally agree that there is alot to be said about moral victories in team sports. It has always been like that and will always be, but I guess we just differ in how we see how our opposing teams handle those types of situations.

Montreal fans can also see the positive side in Emelin "taking one for the team", as it seemed to have given us a psychological advantage knowing Chara wasn't going to be there for 17 minutes to try and take one of our guys out.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:58 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
If it's no big deal then why keep mentioning it?

I fully support the bruins making boneheaded choices and losing games so that the team can reap huge dividends down the road. I hope they keep that up right through the month of March.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Number8

Quote:
Its absolutely fair. I in no means meant to boast about being in first, as I am aware that Boston has 3 games in hand on us and that we have to do more than win 14 games to prove anything, but we are just happy to be competitive considering the debacle of a season we had last year. Unfortunately some of us Habs fans are just not as humble as we should when things are going well.

I totally agree that there is alot to be said about moral victories in team sports. It has always been like that and will always be, but I guess we just differ in how we see how our opposing teams handle those types of situations.

Montreal fans can also see the positive side in Emelin "taking one for the team", as it seemed to have given us a psychological advantage knowing Chara wasn't going to be there for 17 minutes to try and take one of our guys out.
I'm not anti Emelin (or Subban or Pacioretty for that matter), they'd all look a lot better in Black and Gold as opposed to Bleu Blanc et Rouge....

All I've ever been doing is trying to debate those who have claimed that Chara is just some sort of big bully who picks on little guys, guys with plates in their face, etc.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing. Emelin took a cheap shot of Seguin (not anything extreme, by the way), Chara jumped him and hopefully made the point to Boston and Habs players that that won't fly. End of story.

Montreal got Chara off the ice for 17 minutes (don't get me started on Instigator penalty -- it ONLY works if the refs do their jobs in the first place, which I think most fans around the League think they are not doing this year) and won the game as a pretty direct result.

On the other hand, Chara did a lot for team chemistry that I think will pay dividends for Boston.

p.s. Don't read too much into the Julien comments, either. IMO all he's trying to do is call the refs out (without directly calling them out) over the fact that they are not doing their jobs. The last 4 or 5 Bruins games have been almost farcical.

Bottom line is the Bruins/Habs rivalry is alive and well -- complete with emotion, extremism, passion, and a dose of hate! Not a bad thing, if you ask me.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
If it's no big deal then why keep mentioning it?

I fully support the bruins making boneheaded choices and losing games so that the team can reap huge dividends down the road. I hope they keep that up right through the month of March.
ha ha...... I think you'll be disappointed, but one can always hope!

As far as the Subban holdout issue, I just got dragged into a silly discussion with a guy who's retort to someone who said Chara is a pretty intelligent guy was "he doesn't look it". How intelligent is that?

Of course, how intelligent is of me to engage with that either?

Old
03-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
IMO The team was playing well and wanted to remain professional and not go all gaga over an important addition. I guess they just want to keep him humble because Therrien has been preaching its all about the team, not individuals. Just my take.

As for Subban, he may be every bit the dick that he's portrayed as. But as long as he shows up and plays better than most players on the team, I don't think his team will give a damn. There are alot of dicks in sport, but as long as they show up and play well, teammates, for the most part, don't give a damn. It's when they are dicks and start dogging it that's a problem.
If Montreal ever tires of his act, there are more than enough fans who'd love him in Boston. Those who wouldn't are just letting emotion get in the way!

It's like Marchand -- he's a dick on the ice and I'm sure is absolutely infuriating to play against. That said.... he's our dick!

Old
03-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Swarez

Why is everyone calling Yemlin's hit a cheap shot?

Was it a penalty sure, but not every penalty is a cheap shot. Similar plays happen hundreds of times a year. Chara probably thought it was worse than it was and defended his team made and got the correct penalty.

Swarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
p.s. Don't read too much into the Julien comments, either. IMO all he's trying to do is call the refs out (without directly calling them out) over the fact that they are not doing their jobs. The last 4 or 5 Bruins games have been almost farcical.

Bottom line is the Bruins/Habs rivalry is alive and well -- complete with emotion, extremism, passion, and a dose of hate! Not a bad thing, if you ask me.
I think the worst thing we do as homer fans ( all teams included ) is point the finger at officiating as being the reason for a blemish in our records. Montreal has both been the beneficiary and victim of refereeing errors this season, but it happens in every rink on every given night. The games are officiated by humans who are not perfect, and god known I have come close to jumping through my TV in disbelief when things don't go as I see them, but i don't think there is a league wide conspiracy for or against any team in the league.

The Bruins/ Hab rivalry is alive and well, but I just as well ignore these boards after a game like that to not get caught up in all the negativity from both sides. A rivalry like this is ultimately good for the league...just not for my heart.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
HawksFanForever

Wondering if you know anything about Hockey. There is a CODE written in hockey

HawksFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Laraque, is that you?

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Who are you referring to?

Old
03-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
According to Bob Gainey, a damned fine player, and one of the more respected Hockey people the last 40 years, there is no code that he's aware of. Basically why he ended up firing Laraque, for not doing what he was paid to do and falling back on the code crap. Laraque shouldn't have invited Lucic or whomever to dance. Sometimes you just have to take the instigator.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 03-05-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Didn't Ryan White jump a non fighter?
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fig...px?Player=7998
60 career fights.

vs

http://dropyourgloves.com/fights/FightCard.aspx?P=13874
70 career fights

They 'non-fighter' TKO'ing Spacek is what you'd call jumping a non fighter.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Number8

Quote:
I think the worst thing we do as homer fans ( all teams included ) is point the finger at officiating as being the reason for a blemish in our records. Montreal has both been the beneficiary and victim of refereeing errors this season, but it happens in every rink on every given night. The games are officiated by humans who are not perfect, and god known I have come close to jumping through my TV in disbelief when things don't go as I see them, but i don't think there is a league wide conspiracy for or against any team in the league.

The Bruins/ Hab rivalry is alive and well, but I just as well ignore these boards after a game like that to not get caught up in all the negativity from both sides. A rivalry like this is ultimately good for the league...just not for my heart.
ha ha..... I agree completely. See... there is common ground between us Habs/B's fans!

I agree with you of the refereeing point in general, but I honestly do believe that the officiating so far this season has been notably poor -- again, from the Bruins perspective, both for and against. I don't think it's bias, just subpar. Maybe the lockout had a negative impact with no pre-season? It's just frustrating that they seem to be on wildly different ends of the spectrum on similar plays -- which I think leads to real confusion from the players perspective.

Oh well.....

Old
03-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Pretty interesting to see that #36 didn't call that, despite being almost directly behind it...

However...

I was going to say all those Habs players looked really small, then realised that it was in fact a 6'9 Chara...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote