HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-alignment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
  #1
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
Re-alignment

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Via news release, NHLPA says it has given consent to NHL on its proposed re-alignment, to be re-evaluated after the 2014-15 season

What do you guys think of the new re-alignment? We are in a division of Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles and Phoenix.

Top three teams make it from both Western divisions than there are two wild card spots for the teams with most points not in the playoffs.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:13 PM
  #2
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 81
I'm not sure I like it for us. We trade Colorado and Minny for Anaheim, LAK, Phoenix and San Jose.

Yeah we never beat Minny, but I'm far more worried of our guys getting the snot hit out of them with the new opponents than I was when we had the Avs and Minny to worry about.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:14 PM
  #3
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
We're ****ed.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:15 PM
  #4
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,211
vCash: 226
So we lose Minnesota and Colorado, gain Phoenix and Los Angeles.. ugh.

I don't like the looks of this division. Going to be very hard to make the playoffs in the next few years. On the plus side.. maybe traveling to California and Arizona makes our team a more attractive destination for Free Agents.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:19 PM
  #5
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,577
vCash: 50
I just don't like the uneven conferences. I don't know why they didn't just move Winnipeg to the west and Detroit or Columbus to the east.

But in the end, I really don't care all that much.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:19 PM
  #6
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So we lose Minnesota and Colorado, gain Phoenix and Los Angeles.. ugh.

I don't like the looks of this division. Going to be very hard to make the playoffs in the next few years. On the plus side.. maybe traveling to California and Arizona makes our team a more attractive destination for Free Agents.
Don't forget about a resurgent Anaheim. We've been a doormat for a long, long time and moving to this division doesn't help in the slightest.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:19 PM
  #7
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Under the new plan don't we play every Eastern conference team at least twice a season? If so, wouldn't that help?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:22 PM
  #8
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We're ****ed.
So...... business as usual?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
  #9
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
We have a 7% greater chance at making the playoffs over eastern teams, i don't mind it.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:24 PM
  #10
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So we lose Minnesota and Colorado, gain Phoenix and Los Angeles.. ugh.

I don't like the looks of this division. Going to be very hard to make the playoffs in the next few years. On the plus side.. maybe traveling to California and Arizona makes our team a more attractive destination for Free Agents.
I agree

But its going to be funny to pitch the idea to free agents tho. Why sign in California, when you can travel there all year!

Musashi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
  #11
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,211
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Don't forget about a resurgent Anaheim. We've been a doormat for a long, long time and moving to this division doesn't help in the slightest.
I was referring to extremely boring teams to watch. The only teams I'm worried about are LA and Vancouver. Anaheim is overachieving, Phoenix is a team we can beat, San Jose is regressing every year, Calgary sucks and will suck for a while. Next year I think we'll have to compete for a wildcard to make the playoffs but after that I see Los Angeles as the team that will give us a hard time in 2-3 years while San Jose and Vancouver will still be competitive but not nearly as good.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
  #12
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,258
vCash: 500
I hate this realignment in every way.

Firstly, not a fan of the four division format. If you go for the four division format, either fold two teams or add two teams to make the number of teams a number divisible by four.

Secondly, not a fan of unbalanced conferences. 14 teams in the West vs 16 teams in the East..how is that fair. I shouldn't complain too much because 14 teams means 7% better chance of making the playoffs but still. THey couldve kept Detroit in the West and retained the Chicago-Detroit rivalry.

Thirdly, why put Florida and Tampa Bay in the same division with Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, Detroit? Wouldn't it make more sense to put two geographically closer teams (Pittsburgh and Columbus) with that group as opposed to the two Florida teams.

Northeast Division: OTT, TOR, BUF, BOS, DET, MON, CBJ, PGH

Southeast Division: NYR, NYI, NJD, PHI, CAR, WSH, FLA, TB

IMO, switching those two would make more geographical sense. Yes I understand the PGH/PHI rivalry is huge and you want them in the same division, but the fact of the matter is, if you can break up the DET/CHI rivalry, you can break the pens/flyers rivalry, besides they're in the same conference, its not like you're putting the two Pennsylvannia teams in separate conferences like you are with detroit and chicago.

And Lastly, what happens if you have a situation where PHX moves to Quebec City? Does that mean we're going to have 13 teams in the West vs 17 teams in the East. Are we going to have to move Detroit and/or Columbus back in the West after they fought so hard to be put in the East?

Blue And Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:30 PM
  #13
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I was referring to extremely boring teams to watch. The only teams I'm worried about are LA and Vancouver. Anaheim is overachieving, Phoenix is a team we can beat, San Jose is regressing every year, Calgary sucks and will suck for a while. Next year I think we'll have to compete for a wildcard to make the playoffs but after that I see Los Angeles as the team that will give us a hard time in 2-3 years while San Jose and Vancouver will still be competitive but not nearly as good.
I think that Vancouver is on a significant downswing... and that's just another reason why I'm so frustrated about our results this season. They're more vulnerable than they've ever been post-2007 and this division is up for grabs. Unfortunately with this re-alignment plan we're seeing elite teams being re-introduced to our division.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
  #14
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,706
vCash: 500
Yay. Fewer Wild games. Now we get the Kings and Yotes. Yawn. Man I hate the west.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
  #15
The Pouzar
Registered User
 
The Pouzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Kop
Country: Canada
Posts: 162
vCash: 200
Except for the fact that there will be more 8:30 starts, it's not bad.

The Pouzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
  #16
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
I hate this realignment in every way.

Firstly, not a fan of the four division format. If you go for the four division format, either fold two teams or add two teams to make the number of teams a number divisible by four.

Secondly, not a fan of unbalanced conferences. 14 teams in the West vs 16 teams in the East..how is that fair. I shouldn't complain too much because 14 teams means 7% better chance of making the playoffs but still. THey couldve kept Detroit in the West and retained the Chicago-Detroit rivalry.

Thirdly, why put Florida and Tampa Bay in the same division with Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, Detroit? Wouldn't it make more sense to put two geographically closer teams (Pittsburgh and Columbus) with that group as opposed to the two Florida teams.

Northeast Division: OTT, TOR, BUF, BOS, DET, MON, CBJ, PGH

Southeast Division: NYR, NYI, NJD, PHI, CAR, WSH, FLA, TB

IMO, switching those two would make more geographical sense. Yes I understand the PGH/PHI rivalry is huge and you want them in the same division, but the fact of the matter is, if you can break up the DET/CHI rivalry, you can break the pens/flyers rivalry, besides they're in the same conference, its not like you're putting the two Pennsylvannia teams in separate conferences like you are with detroit and chicago.

And Lastly, what happens if you have a situation where PHX moves to Quebec City? Does that mean we're going to have 13 teams in the West vs 17 teams in the East. Are we going to have to move Detroit and/or Columbus back in the West after they fought so hard to be put in the East?
You can't split up Pittsburgh and Philly, too big of a rivalry.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
  #17
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,211
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
You can't split up Pittsburgh and Philly, too big of a rivalry.
Plus they're in the same state. It would be like putting Edmonton and Calgary in separate divisions.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
  #18
Fuhryous
Registered User
 
Fuhryous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Medicine Hat, AB
Country: Hungary
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We're ****ed.
If we're ******, then Columbus is the mattress. They are now in a division with Philly, Pittsburgh, the Rangers, Devils, (Caps & Islanders are also in it).

I would not want to be them.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
  #19
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
This is what the should have done....

Move Nashville to the SouthEast Division
Move Minnesota to the Central Division
Move Winnipeg to the NorthWest Division

Would have worked the best I think.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:51 PM
  #20
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Lots of late night games. Bad news for Oil fans out east.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:58 PM
  #21
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
This is what the should have done....

Move Nashville to the SouthEast Division
Move Minnesota to the Central Division
Move Winnipeg to the NorthWest Division

Would have worked the best I think.
I'm with you, which leads to me think they are hoping for expansion.

NW:
Oil
Van
Flames
Jets
Wild

Pacific:
SJS
Pho
LAK
Ana
Col

Central:
Dallas
St. Louis
Chicago
Detroit
CBJ

SE:
Nashville
Tampa
Florida
Washington
Carolina

Leaving both the NE and Atlantic divisions the same.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:02 PM
  #22
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,293
vCash: 500
I can almost guarantee it will be Winnipeg and not Phoenix in our division next year. I would imagine there is a caveat in the realignment that have Winnipeg going to the Pacific if and when Phoenix moves to QC.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
  #23
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Northeast Division: OTT, TOR, BUF, BOS, DET, MON, CBJ, PGH

Southeast Division: NYR, NYI, NJD, PHI, CAR, WSH, FLA, TB

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:23 PM
  #24
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
Vancouver: Rival. Sedin's own the Oilers
Calgary: Rival. Own the Oilers
San Jose: Own the Oilers
Anaheim: Own the Oilers
Los Angeles: Boring. Own the Oilers
Phoenix: Boring as hell

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:29 PM
  #25
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,211
vCash: 226
I don't understand having Detroit in the East.. I know they want to be but I think travel should be more of an issue than time zones. Nashville and Columbus makes more sense to move into the East.

EDM, CGY, PHX, VAN, SJS, ANA, LAK

FLA, TBL, NSH, CAR, WSH, CBJ, NJD, NYI

WPG, MIN, DET, STL, CHI, DAL, COL

NYR, BOS, BUF, TOR, MTL, OTT, PHI, PIT

Makes the most sense to me but not everyone will be satisfied.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.