HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Management

Old
03-08-2013, 07:00 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
What Steve was saying in 2010...........

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Mickelsnitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I like MacT, the real issue is the same that we had when hiring Kreuger. This team would be taking a huge risk in hiring a guy with zero experience at the NHL level with that job.
No more old Oilers, Please. MacT, Lowe, Simpson, Buchburger, Smith. Probably missing someone. The organization needs a complete transfusion. Nothing has changed in years. How many years of flat starts, getting outshot. getting manhandled. out worked until theres a change in the philosophy.

Quit going to the games, buying the overpriced beer(although self medication would make the games a little more bearable) and quit buying Oilers crap. Katz's business is healthy, profitable. Make a financial statement.

Mickelsnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
I would welcome Burke in Oil town! I hope to see that happen! I'd take Sutter or Ruff as head coach. Hell, hire both and fire Kruegs and Bucky! Replace Tambi and Lowe.

Best opportunity to make this change is now! Why wait for the ship to sink again! The young players need this! The team needs this! The organization needs this! The fans need this!

Hire Burke!

Last edited by Vagabond: 03-08-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why would he? He has job security and the keys to the franchise in a place where he and his family have probably set down roots and are comfortable.

To come here? To be a hand puppet for Kevin Lowe? We wont attract any decent hockey man here if those are the circumstances.
Couple of reasons

1- Wants to step out of the shadows and be the man himself.

2- Wants to get out of a city that is getting worse and worse every year. 50% of the people didn't pay their housing taxes, city is in huge trouble.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Couple of reasons

1- Wants to step out of the shadows and be the man himself.
Well that certainly isnt a possibility here as long as Lowe is around.

Quote:
2- Wants to get out of a city that is getting worse and worse every year. 50% of the people didn't pay their housing taxes, city is in huge trouble.
He probably lives in a posh suburb and the building still looks full.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:38 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well that certainly isnt a possibility here as long as Lowe is around.

That is true. At some point katz who is a billionaire has to think to himself that Lowe isn't the right man.

Even if this is a toy for Katz, don't you think at some point he'd like to maximize profits?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
That is true. At some point katz who is a billionaire has to think to himself that Lowe isn't the right man.

Even if this is a toy for Katz, don't you think at some point he'd like to maximize profits?
As long as the building is full and he doesnt have to ice a cap team, he is golden.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
hopefully as each game goes on, the people who are behind Lowe, Tambo and having patience with the so called "rebuild" are finally having their eyes opened to the realities of the team tambo built.
I just hope they don't fire the coach at the moment.
I'd prefer Lowe and Tambo get fired and the new GM picks the coach. why trust Tambo with it yet again?
If Katz doesn't fire Tambo now, he's an idiot. I'd like to see anyone, even MacT as the temp GM, going into the trade deadline.
half the season is over. I'd love to have one of the fans here who are apologists for the rebuild and pace of development explain to me how this season for the Oilers has continued a positive developmenal process.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

katz didnt become as rich as he is by being an idiot, he has to see that he cant have this junk team going into the new arena. he is also a fan, at some point he has to step in and say F this, this isnt why i bought the team.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
This team needs Brian Burke, and this is from someone who hates Brian Burke's blowhard attitude more than anything in the NHL.

But even if they sent Tambellini and his puppet master packing, the last thing this team needs is someone who is going to have a three year evaluation period. Burke will pull the trigger and get this team accountable.

The fact he almost blows his gasket when he loses a pre-season game is what this team needs.

Rexall needs to start the chant night in and night out. Nothing else to cheer about.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Beerfish

Katz views our management group as the Kirstie Alley on the right. The rest of the known universe views our management team as the Kirstie Alley on the left.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
katz didnt become as rich as he is by being an idiot, he has to see that he cant have this junk team going into the new arena. he is also a fan, at some point he has to step in and say F this, this isnt why i bought the team.
One would think billionaires know when to make a business decision that conflict with personal ties, but Bill Wirtz kept Bob Pulford around the Hawks for decades and Ed Snider keeps Bobby Clarke around the Flyers.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Pennertration

Is it possible that the Oilers let Renney go too soon? I thought it was the right decision at the time to can him, but the Oilers also showed signs of improvement last year. They haven't built on that and have indeed regressed.

What to do with this mess now?

Even though it's not his fault, I would fire Krueger and bring in Ruff (I know, I know, another coaching change but they are lifeless out there). Then, I give Tambo until the trade deadline to do something positively impactful for this team before firing him. He needs to be on the phone every day to every GM to get the best possible deal for Whitney and whatever other non-core assets he can move.

I've been patient but this is the worst year of Oiler watching, IMO, since the first season we finished last (what a sad sentence).

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
If it helps I've never been to CalgaryPuck . But likewise to all rival fans, it's too easy to troll but I'd rather have a conversation.

The problem with changing upper management is that it takes a lot to remove them and it's easy to screw up the replacement.

I've been reading through the thread a bit - while I don't follow your team per se in terms of say, articles and interviews, I've seen it mentioned that Tambellini is really cocky about his current job security and that he feels like he is King Midas, thinking he turns everything into gold for the ownership.

That might be a problem because the Katz group is notoriously in it for the money. Not that all ownership groups aren't, but how do you all, as a fanbase, avoid a Charles Wang / Islanders-esque debacle?
Let's face it - your on-ice product has potential but it's not enough to be a true success yet. Obviously, coaching is one thing. But right now, as long as top-5 picks are in the realm of possibility, the ownership group reaps big dollars from merchandise sales and the publicity circus that is the first round of the Draft.

And speaking as a Flames fan, it is difficult to find a great GM. Feaster is better than Darryl Sutter in some aspects. But Sutter did a lot of work here too, establishing a local AHL prospect team, actively trading for decent players (you could always count on a deadline deal with him at the helm.)
He was a hockey guy but he wasn't perfect. Now we have a lawyer who isn't a hockey guy but relies on the consensus of the organizational heads around him to make deals and draft, which is not too bad but it's not perfect either.

If I were you, I'd look to lure coaches like Brent Sutter and Dallas Eakins for interviews - coaches who deal in knowing the development cycle and mentality of young, talented players.

As for your GM issues, well, Burke isn't a bad choice but I'd tell you to look outside the box and steal away an assistant GM from another team. Detroit might be a good choice, or maybe Philadelphia. Although the one thing different with Burke at the helm (whether he makes the Oilers better or worse) is that he throws his weight around and I feel, can bully other GMs into making deals they wouldn't ordinarily sign especially with a rookie head GM taking the reins.

Why would I want to see the Oilers get better with all this advice as a fan?
Because I love hockey first and foremost - the team matters second. And in all great sports and hockey games, there needs to be a great rivalry.

In other words, **** the Canucks.
Pretty much. Solid post.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
If it helps I've never been to CalgaryPuck . But likewise to all rival fans, it's too easy to troll but I'd rather have a conversation.

The problem with changing upper management is that it takes a lot to remove them and it's easy to screw up the replacement.

I've been reading through the thread a bit - while I don't follow your team per se in terms of say, articles and interviews, I've seen it mentioned that Tambellini is really cocky about his current job security and that he feels like he is King Midas, thinking he turns everything into gold for the ownership.

That might be a problem because the Katz group is notoriously in it for the money. Not that all ownership groups aren't, but how do you all, as a fanbase, avoid a Charles Wang / Islanders-esque debacle?
Let's face it - your on-ice product has potential but it's not enough to be a true success yet. Obviously, coaching is one thing. But right now, as long as top-5 picks are in the realm of possibility, the ownership group reaps big dollars from merchandise sales and the publicity circus that is the first round of the Draft.

And speaking as a Flames fan, it is difficult to find a great GM. Feaster is better than Darryl Sutter in some aspects. But Sutter did a lot of work here too, establishing a local AHL prospect team, actively trading for decent players (you could always count on a deadline deal with him at the helm.)
He was a hockey guy but he wasn't perfect. Now we have a lawyer who isn't a hockey guy but relies on the consensus of the organizational heads around him to make deals and draft, which is not too bad but it's not perfect either.

If I were you, I'd look to lure coaches like Brent Sutter and Dallas Eakins for interviews - coaches who deal in knowing the development cycle and mentality of young, talented players.

As for your GM issues, well, Burke isn't a bad choice but I'd tell you to look outside the box and steal away an assistant GM from another team. Detroit might be a good choice, or maybe Philadelphia. Although the one thing different with Burke at the helm (whether he makes the Oilers better or worse) is that he throws his weight around and I feel, can bully other GMs into making deals they wouldn't ordinarily sign especially with a rookie head GM taking the reins.

Why would I want to see the Oilers get better with all this advice as a fan?
Because I love hockey first and foremost - the team matters second. And in all great sports and hockey games, there needs to be a great rivalry.

In other words, **** the Canucks.

beauty post. and thats exactly it. Tambo thinks by doing nothing he isn't hurting the team, when in reality, not doing nothing = hurting our culture of trying to win.

Iunno, 6+ more games of this and im just gonna not watch this team on TV, Its too much of a waste of time right now

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
jsho

Here is Tambellini's resume as a GM for trades.......

Quote:
2013-03-04 Conditional 4th round pick in 2014 traded to Toronto for Mike Brown

2013-01-14 3rd round pick in 2013 traded to Dallas for Mark Fistric

2012-02-27 Tom Gilbert traded to Minnesota for Nick Schultz

2012-02-16 Ryan O’Marra traded to Anaheim for Bryan Rodney

2011-07-12 Andrew Cogliano traded to Anaheim for a 2nd round pick in 2013.

2011-07-01 Kurtis Foster traded to Anaheim for Andy Sutton

2011-06-26 Colin Fraser with 7th round pick in 2012 (Dmitri Sinitsyn) traded to Los Angeles for Ryan Smyth

2011-02-28 Dustin Penner traded to Los Angeles for Colten Teubert, 1st round pick in 2011, conditional pick (2nd or 3rd round) in 2012.

2011-02-28 Shawn Belle traded to Colorado for Kevin Montgomery.

2010-06-30 Patrick O'Sullivan traded to Phoenix for Jim Vandermeer.

2010-06-26 Riley Nash traded to Carolina for 2nd round pick in 2010 (Martin Marincin).

2010-06-24 Colin Fraser traded by Chicago for 6th round pick in 2010 (Mirko Hofflin).

2010-03-03 Steve Staios traded to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and 3rd round pick in 2010 or 2011.

2010-03-03 Lubomir Visnovsky traded to Anaheim for Ryan Whitney and 6th round pick in 2010 (Brandon Davidson).

2010-03-02 Matt Marquardt traded by Boston for Cody Wild.

2010-03-01 Denis Grebeshkov traded to Nashville for 2nd round pick in 2010 (Curtis Hamilton).

2009-07-09 Tim Sestito traded to New Jersey for conditional draft pick.

2009-06-27 Kyle Brodziak traded with 6th (Darcy Kuemper) round pick in 2009 to Minnesota for 4th (Kyle Bigos) and 5th (Olivier Roy) round picks in 2009.

2009-03-04 Erik Cole traded to Carolina with 5th round draft pick in 2009 (Matt Kennedy) for Patrick O'Sullivan and 2nd round pick in 2009 (Jesse Blacker (Toronto)).

2009-03-04 Ales Kotalik traded by Buffalo for Carolina's 2nd round draft pick in 2009 (Jesse Blacker (Toronto)).

2009-01-17 Mathieu Garon traded to Pittsburgh for Ryan Stone, Dany Sabourin and 4th round pick in 2011
Has any of these trades looked good for more than a year?

Last edited by jsho: 03-08-2013 at 11:15 AM.
jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Here is Tambellini's resume as a GM for trades.......

Has any of these trades looked good for more than a year?
Jim Vandameer should have been resigned.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Same.

Except that I think its more than a few extra bucks, and there's the buffet on the charter (he gets to sit with the guys) to consider too ....
Well said.
I think I made a thread on here around 8 years ago criticizing the Edmonton media for being subservient to the Edmonton franchise because the Oilers are the only show in town.... still applies, except in this case they've got there own agents doing a lot of the legwork.

The only guy around town who's been sticking it to Lowebelinni and co is Brownlee (aka Brownstreak)... unforutnately the guy's totally irrelevant. Might as well be one of us on here.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:41 AM
oilexport

I feel the season was put in jeopardy when all our centers got hurt in that one week period. The centers we had were marginal and inadequate but considering our young guns we got by.

If they made a deal for a bigger center that could play 3rd line and fill in on the 2nd then it would have given the Coach much more flexability to put some size on the left wing (eager, now jones, MPS) for all the lines. Our young guns and capable scoring right wingers would have been able to do thier job with some sandpaper on the left wing. Not all players need to be "gifted to play on the top 6". The domino effect killed us.

I like the Brown trade and I like the Fistric trade for options in the lineup.

I would sign the "Fire Lowe and Tambo petition" if thier was one.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:46 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=33068

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

TambLowe has to go!

Tamblowe has to go!

I want that chanted at rexall

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Jim Vandameer should have been resigned.
Of all things to complain about this sounds like the bratty kid who's mom came home with McIntosh apples says I wanted Gala apples mom you're an idiot.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Dallas Eakins is a good suggestion and a lot of fans wanted the Oilers to ask the Leafs for permission to talk to him in the off-season. I don't think that a lot of us saw the team promoting from within, I mean, why would they coming off a 29th place season? Honestly, I didn't think that Krueger being promoted was a possibility until Oilers radio stooge Bob Stauffer started planting seeds that he was the front runner. The man is a great talker and has quite the reputation as an inspirational individual and he obviously convinced some people with his golden tongue... and that's unfortunate. Hell, he sounds flustered in his postgame interviews now. They're sprinkled with his usual um, positivityisms but he's flubbing words and sounds overwhelmed... just like his team.
My biggest worry for you guys up north is the kids.

These are skilled players that are used to winning streaks, big points and headlines. Not losing streaks and "try again later" on Roll Up The Rim To Win. They're used to winning and I can't help but think, at what point will they be fed up like the fanbase?

Their best years of their lives and career are being stifled by poor management. It's easy to see you have a talented group, and learning from loss and disappointment makes one wiser. But there's got to be a limit to that, where losing is no longer acceptable and you transition into a winning team. However, that requires actual guidance, AKA competent coaching staff. Otherwise, if they can't see their mistakes, it's impossible to expect they will learn from them and therefore improve somehow.

They are young but they're not kindergartners who need Gold Stars and an "'A' for Effort" trophy every time they flub a pass or whiff on a shot. They need to be inspired by someone who is willing and prepared to lead them into the next training session, the next practice, the next game.

The hardest thing to see is a player who is adored by the city leave for UFA or demand a trade. Main HFBoards argument used to be, "You can't afford those kids when their UFA contract comes up." I don't think that's true, but the Oilers' management need to give them a reason to stay here.

The sooner the better.

P.S. Somewhat ironically, while I absolutely endorse him as the Flames' coach, I have always thought that Hartley would have been an excellent coach for your team.

Last edited by Signature: 03-08-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
oilexport

Quote:
My biggest worry for you guys up north is the kids.

These are skilled players that are used to winning streaks, big points and headlines. Not losing streaks and "try again later" on Roll Up The Rim To Win. They're used to winning and I can't help but think, at what point will they be fed up like the fanbase?

Their best years of their lives and career are being stifled by poor management. It's easy to see you have a talented group, and learning from loss and disappointment makes one wiser. But there's got to be a limit to that, where losing is no longer acceptable and you transition into a winning team.

The hardest thing to see is a player who is adored by the city leave for UFA or demand a trade. Main HFBoards argument used to be, "You can't afford those kids when their UFA contract comes up." I don't think that's true, but you need to give them a reason to stay here.

The sooner the better.
Very disappointed in management here. The kids are regressing and need help and support, set up to fail, and now they are getting injured. The losing culture is back and players are not giving 100 %...again. Simple trades which would have helped did not happen and now the slippery slope...again.

We did not need impact players to complement all our talent, just the right kind of complement which would not have costed us much in assets (our core).

Lowe/Tambo dropped the ball...again. I hope they are relieved of duties before they completely destroy our Team...again.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I would welcome Burke in Oil town! I hope to see that happen! I'd take Sutter or Ruff as head coach. Hell, hire both and fire Kruegs and Bucky! Replace Tambi and Lowe.

Best opportunity to make this change is now! Why wait for the ship to sink again! The young players need this! The team needs this! The organization needs this! The fans need this!

Hire Burke!
Terrible idea. Try thinking outside the box - there's certainly got to be better, smarter, and younger options than the old blow hard.

In case so many of you have apparently forgotten, Toronto missed the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR that Burke was there.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote