HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Management

Old
03-07-2013, 10:30 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1513
Jim Nill

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Ray Ferraro

Jump from the broadcast booth to the front office like John Davidson. Good knowledge of the game, and like he said during the Leafs/Sens game last night "too many managers and coaches focus on what a player isn't instead of what they are".

Don't try to turn Yakupov into anything but the sniper he is. Get other players to do that job.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:35 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
+1 i dont want nug eplaying defensive all game, thats what belanger is for, let the kids fly

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:38 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Replacement for Tambellini...I'd make that trade.

I've been less than impressed with Tambellini for years. It's not so much his lack of activity, it's more the complete inability to identify NHL talent. There haven't been too many moves where I've felt we came away with the better player.

Maybe that's a pro scouting issue, but after listening to him talk about trades or UFA signings he just made, I consisitently come away with the impression that he really doesn't know much about the players/prospects he aquires.

As for a replacement, I think MacT is the heir apparent already, and unlike a lot of people, I think he would be excellent in the role. Definitely an improvement on the current head man anyway.

03-07-2013, 10:38 AM
sundaysleftovers

Brian Burke, need someone with a "set" to pull the trigger on some deals!

sundaysleftovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Psychoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
Jim Nill
You heard the interview this morning on 1260 didn't u. Jimmy sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about unlike tambo

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Ray Ferraro

Jump from the broadcast booth to the front office like John Davidson. Good knowledge of the game, and like he said during the Leafs/Sens game last night "too many managers and coaches focus on what a player isn't instead of what they are".

Don't try to turn Yakupov into anything but the sniper he is. Get other players to do that job.
Ideally we would've hired Davidson, but the reality was that wasn't going to happen.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
backhandsauce

vCash: 934
I actually think Mac T would make a great GM. He's been around the game a long long time, is very well respected around the league.

Burkey, I dunno, he may trade all our picks for guys that follow him everywhere.

"And the Edmonton Oilers are proud to announce that we have dealt a first round pick for Joffrey Lupul.

backhandsauce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Replacement for Tambellini...I'd make that trade.

I've been less than impressed with Tambellini for years. It's not so much his lack of activity, it's more the complete inability to identify NHL talent. There haven't been too many moves where I've felt we came away with the better player.

Maybe that's a pro scouting issue, but after listening to him talk about trades or UFA signings he just made, I consisitently come away with the impression that he really doesn't know much about the players/prospects he aquires.

As for a replacement, I think MacT is the heir apparent already, and unlike a lot of people, I think he would be excellent in the role. Definitely an improvement on the current head man anyway.
I like MacT, the real issue is the same that we had when hiring Kreuger. This team would be taking a huge risk in hiring a guy with zero experience at the NHL level with that job.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM
jebs

Burke. Would never happen tho.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:52 AM
MoneyGuy

I think both Lowe and Tambo need to be fired, and Katz needs to totally step aside from any team involvement. He can go on stage wiht his freaky red-haired kid, but that's all. He can't be consulted on anything nor should he offer any opinions.

Someone like John Davidson or Jim Nill (my preferred choice) needs to be hired to run ALL hockey operations, then that person needs to fill in around him.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:55 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Replacing Tambellini without getting rid of Lowe is like putting a band aid on herpes.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I like MacT, the real issue is the same that we had when hiring Kreuger. This team would be taking a huge risk in hiring a guy with zero experience at the NHL level with that job.
I think the real problem with MacT is he's to close to the situation. He's been here and knows the way things have been done and why they were done. He's most likely to remain sympathetic to those solutions and unwilling to fully break from the past. I prefer someone completely from the outside with no ties to the organization and autonomy to run the team the way they see fit.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:00 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
You heard the interview this morning on 1260 didn't u. Jimmy sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about unlike tambo
He's from Hanna to, might wanna come a little closer to home.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:00 AM
tempest2i
The Gloaming

Quote:
We could bring in Burke and deal our next 2 1sts for Milan Lucic, only to find out that wasn't the missing the only missing link.
*sigh*

I'm not sure what the point was of your comment. Burke could come in and make terrible trades, or he could come in and give a new perspective to the Oilers woes.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:03 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Replacing Tambellini without getting rid of Lowe is like putting a band aid on herpes.
Truth.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
flashy
NHL is rigged

vCash: 360
well a monkey could of done his job the last 3 year so we don't have to look far.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Make HF the GM.

We'll do everything via poll, it'll be great.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:08 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Make HF the GM.

We'll do everything via poll, it'll be great.
The NHL would fold this team as we'd go through all 700 players in the league within 2 years.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
The NHL would fold this team as we'd go through all 700 players in the league within 2 years.
Well at least it would be entertaining!

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
*sigh*

I'm not sure what the point was of your comment. Burke could come in and make terrible trades, or he could come in and give a new perspective to the Oilers woes.
The point is Burke is far from the god people are making him out to be. Toronto has done nothing yet, other then string together 20 solid games.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
well, you and I will differ on the amount. a 30th, 30th, 29th and well on their way to 28th placed team is more than just 4 players away. their whole bottom six (well, 5 of 6 after today), probably 2 more competent D, and 2 of the top 6 replaced for different types of players, and a backup.

just look at the record and watch the games. they are not close.
That's overstating it by a lot. For example: adding one legitimate top four defenceman would have a significant effect on the lineup by bumping guys who are playing over their heads (ie. Nick Schultz) down to a spot where they could perform better with different responsibilities. You know what else would make a huge impact? A mere 3% increase in the top line's on-ice shooting percentage (and that's being conservative).

IMO, the Oilers are maybe 2 good players and a change in luck away from being at minimum playoff contenders.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Stoneman89

To the mods. Isn't there already a thread on this? How many of these do you need?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:21 AM
CantHaveTkachev
no joke of a team

vCash: 117
In 5 years since his hire, how has Tambo made this team better?
bad UFA signings, bad trades and questionable coaching hires is all he's done

if they finish bottom 5 in the standings, I hope Katz fires both Lowe and Tambo...although Tambo will be the only one gone

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Sethis

I think it has finally hit that 'Network' moment...

"We sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad, worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy so we don't go out anymore."

Collectively, I think there needs to be a message sent to the ownership of the team if we're headed for another bottom 5 (I would even say bottom 10) finish. Something like, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore."

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote