HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Management

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 12:12 PM
  #151
tempest2i
Feral
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The point is Burke is far from the god people are making him out to be. Toronto has done nothing yet, other then string together 20 solid games.
That might be the case, but why did you automatically assume I want Burke hired?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
  #152
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,559
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
That might be the case, but why did you automatically assume I want Burke hired?
Honestly looking back I quoted the wrong person.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:16 PM
  #153
Descendent*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
These Yuppies don't have the balls to make a bold move.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:29 PM
  #154
oilers_smyth_94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
Jim Nill
This. He's been part of a winning system for YEARS!! There has been no team like the Red Wings, so if we can get a crucial part of that why not? Assistant GMs have a role to play and he's seen what it takes to build a team and win. But as we know, they'll stick with Tambo and Lowe while they sit on their hands and we get even more angry at this team for lack of compete, skill and toughness.

oilers_smyth_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:29 PM
  #155
tempest2i
Feral
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly looking back I quoted the wrong person.
That makes more sense.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
  #156
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_smyth_94 View Post
This. He's been part of a winning system for YEARS!! There has been no team like the Red Wings, so if we can get a crucial part of that why not? But yet again, they'll stick with Tambo and Lowe while they sit on their hands and we get even more angry at this team for lack of compete, skill and toughness.
Agreed. I think someone said that his contract allows him to talk to teams about GM openings too. Would be worth a look if this team ever gets off its ass and decides winning is important,

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
  #157
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I like MacT, the real issue is the same that we had when hiring Kreuger. This team would be taking a huge risk in hiring a guy with zero experience at the NHL level with that job.
Agreed. However, I would like to add a guy with some experience to "assist" him.

I don't mind a "group" think for managing like Detroit but it can't be four buddies who all think the same. They have to be four guys who can not only work together, but can also provide different points of view.

Suggestion: Fire Tambellini. Fire Lowe.

MacT as GM. Hire Scott Howson, Ray Ferraro and an experienced guy like Neil Smith or Brian Lawton as assistants.

His Columbus experience hasn't changed my viewpoint of Howson as a bright guy. From what I've read, most of the Columbus fans think he left the franchise in much better situation than when he arrived.

I hope that we can gain the benefit of Scott Howson learning from his mistakes in Columbus.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:23 PM
  #158
oilexport
Registered User
 
oilexport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
I would not mind Lowe being removed and replaced with someone smart from an organization which has rebuild from scratch and won the cup. Pitts, Tampa, Chicago comes to mind. Detroit has good winning culture so look at that one as well.

I don't want anybody from the glory years in Edmonton except maybe Messier but It would be nice to get some one who has a little more experience. Hanging around Sather so long may make Mess a good G.M. one day.

Tambo and Lowe cannot stay no more but Lowe can take a position in beside Katz in a advisor role, that is, to welcome all the old Great Oilers when they come back to Edmonton for visits and Team functions. Lowe can drive these guys to and from the Airport to Katz's place and talk about all the glory days with Katz and Gretzky.

Sorry Lowe, like the passion but it should have stayed as a Coach where your compeditive nature worked.

Tambo is/was a puppet that cannot judge talent anyway.

by the way, Mac-T is yet another nightmare that will turn us into the loser Toronto Maple Leafs for many generations to come. No offence to T.O. as they have done some good things recently.


Last edited by oilexport: 03-07-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: forgot to include the loser Mac-T
oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:29 PM
  #159
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
I would not mind Lowe being removed and replaced with someone smart from an organization which has rebuild from scratch and won the cup. Pitts, Tampa, Chicago comes to mind. Detroit has good winning culture so look at that one as well.

I don't want anybody from the glory years in Edmonton except maybe Messier but It would be nice to get some one who has a little more experience. Hanging around Sather so long may make Mess a good G.M. one day.

Tambo and Lowe cannot stay no more but Lowe can take a position in beside Katz in a advisor role, that is, to welcome all the old Great Oilers when they come back to Edmonton for visits and Team functions. Lowe can drive these guys to and from the Airport to Katz's place and talk about all the glory days with Katz and Gretzky.

Sorry Lowe, like the passion but it should have stayed as a Coach where your compeditive nature worked.

Tambo is/was a puppet that cannot judge talent anyway.

by the way, Mac-T is yet another nightmare that will turn us into the loser Toronto Maple Leafs for many generations to come. No offence to T.O. as they have done some good things recently.
What about Sather

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
  #160
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,018
vCash: 500
Oh boy yearly season ticket holder survey they don't listen to was filled out today.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
  #161
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,559
vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What about Sather
Slats would be better off here. Less players want to come here so less overpaid UFA's on his team. Heck of a guy when it comes to trades.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:36 PM
  #162
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Slats would be better off here. Less players want to come here so less overpaid UFA's on his team. Heck of a guy when it comes to trades.
I know I put the sarcasm smiley, but in all honesty I would love if he was involved in the team.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:41 PM
  #163
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_smyth_94 View Post
This. He's been part of a winning system for YEARS!! There has been no team like the Red Wings, so if we can get a crucial part of that why not? Assistant GMs have a role to play and he's seen what it takes to build a team and win. But as we know, they'll stick with Tambo and Lowe while they sit on their hands and we get even more angry at this team for lack of compete, skill and toughness.
Unfortunately like most people I was enthused tha tKatz wanted to buy the Oilers, absolutely stoked when he did.

Now I really question that move as he is literally the poison in the well. He's the one that's onboard with this crap fest and change has to come from the top down. Well folks don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Sure Tambo may be the fall guy at the end of the season and if he is then welcome MacT as your new GM.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:44 PM
  #164
oilexport
Registered User
 
oilexport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What about Sather
he's perfect, take him back in a "New York minute".

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
  #165
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Unfortunately like most people I was enthused tha tKatz wanted to buy the Oilers, absolutely stoked when he did.

Now I really question that move as he is literally the poison in the well. He's the one that's onboard with this crap fest and change has to come from the top down. Well folks don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Sure Tambo may be the fall guy at the end of the season and if he is then welcome MacT as your new GM.
Yep. With Kats around, Lowe has a free pass for life.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:02 PM
  #166
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Unfortunately like most people I was enthused tha tKatz wanted to buy the Oilers, absolutely stoked when he did.

Now I really question that move as he is literally the poison in the well. He's the one that's onboard with this crap fest and change has to come from the top down. Well folks don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Sure Tambo may be the fall guy at the end of the season and if he is then welcome MacT as your new GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Yep. With Kats around, Lowe has a free pass for life.
Katz inherited Lowe.

My guess is Katz trusts him, trusts his hockey knowledge. Katz like many sports owners aren't necessarily all that knowledgeable when it comes to the sport itself. Lowe is like his hockey safety blanket.

If we keep losing, Katz is going to realize Lowe and Co aren't getting the job done. I think the issue is that Katz needs to find someone to take over that he feels just as comfortable with as he does with Lowe. That won't be easy.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:12 PM
  #167
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Katz inherited Lowe.

My guess is Katz trusts him, trusts his hockey knowledge. Katz like many sports owners aren't necessarily all that knowledgeable when it comes to the sport itself. Lowe is like his hockey safety blanket.

If we keep losing, Katz is going to realize Lowe and Co aren't getting the job done. I think the issue is that Katz needs to find someone to take over that he feels just as comfortable with as he does with Lowe. That won't be easy.
General question: would people accept MacT as gm if it meant dumping both Tambo and Lowe? In the vein of the poster above, if Katz wants someone he's comfortable with but recognizes the need for a clean slate, that probably wouldn't be the worst call to make. I also think they need to pare down the organizational chart. I wonder if a lot of the reason for the passivity of this group is the fact that there are too many cooks in the kitchen, making it harder to get consensus on any path forward.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:14 PM
  #168
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
General question: would people accept MacT as gm if it meant dumping both Tambo and Lowe? In the vein of the poster above, if Katz wants someone he's comfortable with but recognizes the need for a clean slate, that probably wouldn't be the worst call to make. I also think they need to pare down the organizational chart. I wonder if a lot of the reason for the passivity of this group is the fact that there are too many cooks in the kitchen, making it harder to get consensus on any path forward.
Or conversely, MacT as Prez of Hockey Operations, replacing Lowe, and then we bring in an outside GM. I know a poster above mentioned Nill.

I'd be OK with a combo like that. Much more so than the current arrangement.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:27 PM
  #169
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Hire Burke, and let his first assignment be the firing of KLowe.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
  #170
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Fire Renney.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:52 PM
  #171
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,761
vCash: 500
This is the lowest point I've ever been in my life as an Oilers fan. And the worst part is I know nothing is going to happen about it. Smyth will be here next year even though he was done half way through last season. Krueger will still be coach, and he won't get anything out of the players. Tambellini will still be a sitting duck. The old boys club will always be here having a great time talking about the old days while our current team is absolute garbage. We're always going to be injury prone as a team. It's depressing to be honest.. We've been watching the same awful Oilers hockey since the 2006-2007 season.

I'm also sick of the media and some of the posters here calling for our patience. Ottawa had a terrible season. Got a high pick, hired a great coach and they are a great team now. Montreal drafted 3rd overall last season, hired a new coach, hired a GM, added a little grit and were lucky to get Markov back.. Now they are a top 5 team in this league right now. Chicago won the cup when Kane and Toews were still on ELC's. Edmonton would have to win it all this year to match that.

This team has had very minimal improvement since 2010 when we got Taylor Hall. Stop telling me/us to be patient.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM
  #172
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
This is the lowest point I've ever been in my life as an Oilers fan. And the worst part is I know nothing is going to happen about it. Smyth will be here next year even though he was done half way through last season. Krueger will still be coach, and he won't get anything out of the players. Tambellini will still be a sitting duck. The old boys club will always be here having a great time talking about the old days while our current team is absolute garbage. We're always going to be injury prone as a team. It's depressing to be honest.. We've been watching the same awful Oilers hockey since the 2006-2007 season.

I'm also sick of the media and some of the posters here calling for our patience. Ottawa had a terrible season. Got a high pick, hired a great coach and they are a great team now. Montreal drafted 3rd overall last season, hired a new coach, hired a GM, added a little grit and were lucky to get Markov back.. Now they are a top 5 team in this league right now. Chicago won the cup when Kane and Toews were still on ELC's. Edmonton would have to win it all this year to match that.

This team has had very minimal improvement since 2010 when we got Taylor Hall. Stop telling me/us to be patient.
And the fact that we're currently witnessing the lowest point is really telling. At this rate there's no bloody way that this group of players is ever going to be worth a damn.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM
  #173
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Katz better get his hands out of his pocket and start booting out people in management that have over stayed their welcome! BYe K.Lowe! Bye Tambi! Bye Bucky! Bye Krueger! Get personnel from outside the organization! This team needs new blood from the higher ups.

I'm very extremely disgusted!

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:07 PM
  #174
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,051
vCash: 500
The fact that MacT was brought back and given a plum job to either be the next coach or gm says all you need to know about these idiots.

The same MacT that couldn't get a job anywhere else in the league for years. The same MacT that did an overall crap job as head coach here for years. This has been the worst team I have ever seen for hiring buddies and nepotism that I can remember.

Yeah MacT will be a great help when he is handed any new job.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:43 PM
  #175
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,761
vCash: 500
Tencer calling out Krueger for his post game comments. pretty refreshing to here.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.