HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Management

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 11:24 PM
  #201
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,178
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Stauffers gotta lay off the kool-aid

didn't stop fawning over the team during the lockout...telling (convincing) us that everybody around the league is telling him "this team is gonna be dangerous in a few years! watchout!"

then said Krueger is gonna win the Jack Adams this year or next year hahahaha
Trading for Brown was the "Wow" move.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:28 PM
  #202
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Stauffer's gotta lay off the kool-aid

didn't stop fawning over the team during the lockout...telling (convincing) us that everybody around the league is telling him "this team is gonna be dangerous in a few years! watchout!"

then said Krueger is gonna win the Jack Adams this year or next year hahahaha
Yeah it's an utter embarrassment. The smoke has faded and the mirrors are broken.

The song "Everything's broken" comes to mind. I feel like we are seen as the great unwashed. Same stuff every year.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
  #203
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why would he? He has job security and the keys to the franchise in a place where he and his family have probably set down roots and are comfortable.

To come here? To be a hand puppet for Kevin Lowe? We wont attract any decent hockey man here if those are the circumstances.
I know an inanimate carbon rod would be better than Lowe and Tambellini at this point, but then who is available to replace them?

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
  #204
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
Sad thing is Tambo gets fired and Mac t brings in Reddox and Toby petersons all for the bottom 6 and the gong show continues .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
  #205
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,178
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I know an inanimate carbon rod would be better than Lowe and Tambellini at this point, but then who is available to replace them?
Bob Green would be better than those two. I guess Burke is available but I dont want all our kids traded for American college players. Dont really know who would be a viable/realistic replacement, but I think it is pretty obvious that change is needed.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
  #206
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
If Tambo told Katz the team would challenge for the playoffs this year and they finish bottom 3 in the league, he will have tied his own noose.

There are obviously better managers out there. Even Lowe was better. We had a chance to make it most years with he and MacT. Quinn, Renney, Krueger era is worse than the darkest days of the early 90s. It is becoming pretty ridiculous.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:48 PM
  #207
Teamcanada
Registered User
 
Teamcanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bob Green would be better than those two. I guess Burke is available but I dont want all our kids traded for American college players. Dont really know who would be a viable/realistic replacement, but I think it is pretty obvious that change is needed.
Its called Lindy ruff and whoever he wants as GM. Hell I would take Doug MacLean, Scott Howson or even Mike millbury as GM as long as Ruff was the coach.

Having Burke GM and president for the Oilers would be like when Eric Bischoff went to the WWE and shook Vince Mcmahon's hand. So shocking I would be intrigued just to watch it fizzle out in the long run.

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:55 PM
  #208
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,178
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
If Tambo told Katz the team would challenge for the playoffs this year and they finish bottom 3 in the league, he will have tied his own noose.

There are obviously better managers out there. Even Lowe was better. We had a chance to make it most years with he and MacT. Quinn, Renney, Krueger era is worse than the darkest days of the early 90s. It is becoming pretty ridiculous.
Tambellini is only following the directions/plan of Lowe/Katz. The mess we are presently in was caused by the train wreck of a team/development system/poor drafting that Lowe passed on to Tambellini. Both have since been on record saying that Lowe has the final say in player personnel decisions.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:58 PM
  #209
TS Quint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
Its called Lindy ruff and whoever he wants as GM. Hell I would take Doug MacLean, Scott Howson or even Mike millbury as GM as long as Ruff was the coach.

Having Burke GM and president for the Oilers would be like when Eric Bischoff went to the WWE and shook Vince Mcmahon's hand. So shocking I would be intrigued just to watch it fizzle out in the long run.
I would love to see Lindy Ruff with the Oilers. He did a great job in Buffalo with young players. He would bring a level of expectation the Oilers have never seen and I think the top end talent would be up to the challenge. As far as a fit for the team I don't see anyone better than Ruff. Maybe he can tech the Oilers how to draft


Last edited by TS Quint: 03-08-2013 at 12:04 AM.
TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:31 AM
  #210
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
Its called Lindy ruff and whoever he wants as GM. Hell I would take Doug MacLean, Scott Howson or even Mike millbury as GM as long as Ruff was the coach.

Having Burke GM and president for the Oilers would be like when Eric Bischoff went to the WWE and shook Vince Mcmahon's hand. So shocking I would be intrigued just to watch it fizzle out in the long run.
We could have the greatest coaches in the world and I still wouldn't want either of those two anywhere near my team. I am very hard on Tambellini, but I still see him as a big step up on either of those two. If you are going for the most inept GM's you can think of I would substitute Don Waddell for Scott Howson, if they had a better GM there the franchise might not of folded.

I think Tambellini is about on par with John Ferguson Jr.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:35 AM
  #211
Signature
Unsustainable™
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 1743
Hi guys.

Flames fan in peace.

I know he didn't do that well in his stint with Calgary/New Jersey, but Brent Sutter has always had a good way with kids. His WJC coaching tenure and his constant exposure to coaching the next generation of younger players in the WHL are proof of that.

Any interest? Aside from a Ruff/Burke combination, I do believe that coaching/GM duties kind of look like slim pickings at this moment. Brent could possibly fill one or the other, although I can totally understand why you wouldn't want him, rivalry reasons aside...

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:59 AM
  #212
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Hi guys.

Flames fan in peace.

I know he didn't do that well in his stint with Calgary/New Jersey, but Brent Sutter has always had a good way with kids. His WJC coaching tenure and his constant exposure to coaching the next generation of younger players in the WHL are proof of that.

Any interest? Aside from a Ruff/Burke combination, I do believe that coaching/GM duties kind of look like slim pickings at this moment. Brent could possibly fill one or the other, although I can totally understand why you wouldn't want him, rivalry reasons aside...
It's obvious that Krueger is all talk and no results but before the Oilers make another coaching change they desperately need a change in upper management. Desperately.

And credit to you for not trolling during continued lean times, sir. That's a rarity for a Flames fan as it pertains to the Oilers.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:02 AM
  #213
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,844
vCash: 500
Stauffer mailed it all away for a few extra bucks from Katz a few years back. I stopped listnening to that paid schill not long after.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:13 AM
  #214
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bob Green would be better than those two. I guess Burke is available but I dont want all our kids traded for American college players. Dont really know who would be a viable/realistic replacement, but I think it is pretty obvious that change is needed.
Burke wouldn't trade trade any of the kids. He didnt trade Getzlaf, Perry or even Ryan when he was in Anaheim. He's not scared to pull the trigger on a deal. He's capable of bringing in top defencemens like he did in Anaheim and Toronto. Burke is a very good GM and 100x better than Tambo and Lowe.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:15 AM
  #215
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,928
vCash: 500
Hire Ruff and Burke.

The real reason Burke was let from Toronto is because he didn't kiss enough ass with the new ownership there, if he was around still he'd be getting lauded big time for the Leafs performance this year to date.

If the Oilers had the Leafs record right now, the bandwagon would be falling over itself with people trying to jump on.

Ruff is a solid choice. Unfortunately it looks like Krueger was a terrible hire, he just seems to have no idea how to coach this roster (which admittedly is sofffffft, but still far too talented to be doing things like barely mustering 20 shots a game on most nights).

He may a nice guy and a good "communicator/speaker" but that isn't necessarily the same thing as coaching. Quinn was more the right idea, the problem was he was far too old.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:20 AM
  #216
Signature
Unsustainable™
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's obvious that Krueger is all talk and no results but before the Oilers make another coaching change they desperately need a change in upper management. Desperately.

And credit to you for not trolling during continued lean times, sir. That's a rarity for a Flames fan as it pertains to the Oilers.
If it helps I've never been to CalgaryPuck . But likewise to all rival fans, it's too easy to troll but I'd rather have a conversation.

The problem with changing upper management is that it takes a lot to remove them and it's easy to screw up the replacement.

I've been reading through the thread a bit - while I don't follow your team per se in terms of say, articles and interviews, I've seen it mentioned that Tambellini is really cocky about his current job security and that he feels like he is King Midas, thinking he turns everything into gold for the ownership.

That might be a problem because the Katz group is notoriously in it for the money. Not that all ownership groups aren't, but how do you all, as a fanbase, avoid a Charles Wang / Islanders-esque debacle?
Let's face it - your on-ice product has potential but it's not enough to be a true success yet. Obviously, coaching is one thing. But right now, as long as top-5 picks are in the realm of possibility, the ownership group reaps big dollars from merchandise sales and the publicity circus that is the first round of the Draft.

And speaking as a Flames fan, it is difficult to find a great GM. Feaster is better than Darryl Sutter in some aspects. But Sutter did a lot of work here too, establishing a local AHL prospect team, actively trading for decent players (you could always count on a deadline deal with him at the helm.)
He was a hockey guy but he wasn't perfect. Now we have a lawyer who isn't a hockey guy but relies on the consensus of the organizational heads around him to make deals and draft, which is not too bad but it's not perfect either.

If I were you, I'd look to lure coaches like Brent Sutter and Dallas Eakins for interviews - coaches who deal in knowing the development cycle and mentality of young, talented players.

As for your GM issues, well, Burke isn't a bad choice but I'd tell you to look outside the box and steal away an assistant GM from another team. Detroit might be a good choice, or maybe Philadelphia. Although the one thing different with Burke at the helm (whether he makes the Oilers better or worse) is that he throws his weight around and I feel, can bully other GMs into making deals they wouldn't ordinarily sign especially with a rookie head GM taking the reins.

Why would I want to see the Oilers get better with all this advice as a fan?
Because I love hockey first and foremost - the team matters second. And in all great sports and hockey games, there needs to be a great rivalry.

In other words, **** the Canucks.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:23 AM
  #217
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,928
vCash: 500
It's not even that Burke has to be a savior, this group + what looks like another top 5 pick coming (ugh) is more than enough talent for him to work with.

He's much more proactive and his attitude of hating to lose is something this franchise sorely needs.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:26 AM
  #218
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hire Ruff and Burke.

The real reason Burke was let from Toronto is because he didn't kiss enough ass with the new ownership there, if he was around still he'd be getting lauded big time for the Leafs performance this year to date.

If the Oilers had the Leafs record right now, the bandwagon would be falling over itself with people trying to jump on.

Ruff is a solid choice. Unfortunately it looks like Krueger was a terrible hire, he just seems to have no idea how to coach this roster (which admittedly is sofffffft, but still far too talented to be doing things like barely mustering 20 shots a game on most nights).

He may a nice guy and a good "communicator/speaker" but that isn't necessarily the same thing as coaching. Quinn was more the right idea, the problem was he was far too old.
100% agree with this. I just said it in the Ralph Krueger thread that a Burke/Ruff combination would be great for this team. Burke knows what he's doing, he actually gives a **** if the team loses and isn't afraid to make trades. The leafs are Brian Burke's team and they are playing really well. We need Burke and Ruff and this team starts living up to expectations IMO.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 AM
  #219
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
If it helps I've never been to CalgaryPuck . But likewise to all rival fans, it's too easy to troll but I'd rather have a conversation.

The problem with changing upper management is that it takes a lot to remove them and it's easy to screw up the replacement.

Especially since I've been reading through the thread a bit,a dn while I don't follow your team per se in terms of say, articles and interviews, I've seen it mentioned that Tambellini is really cocky about his current job security and that he feels like he is King Midas.

Which might be a problem because the Katz group is notoriously in it for the money. Not that all ownership groups aren't, but how do you all, as a fanbase, avoid a Charles Wang / Islanders-esque debacle?
Let's face it - your on-ice product has potential but it's not enough to be a true success yet. Obviously, coaching is one thing. But right now, as long as top-5 picks are in the realm of possibility, the ownership group reaps big dollars from merchandise sales and the publicity circus that is the first round of the Draft.

And speaking as a Flames fan, it is difficult to find a great GM. Feaster is better than Darryl Sutter in some aspects. But Sutter did a lot of work here too, establishing a local AHL prospect team, actively trading for decent players (you could always count on a deadline deal with him at the helm.)
He was a hockey guy but he wasn't perfect. Now we have a lawyer who isn't a hockey guy but relies on the consensus of the organizational heads around him to make deals and draft, which is not too bad but it's not perfect either.

If I were you, I'd look to lure coaches like Brent Sutter and Dallas Eakins for interviews - coaches who deal in knowing the development cycle and mentality of young, talented players.

As for your GM issues, well, Burke isn't a bad choice but I'd tell you to look outside the box and steal away an assistant GM from another team. Detroit might be a good choice, or maybe Philadelphia.

Why would I want to see the Oilers get better wtih all this advice as a fan?
Because I love hockey first and foremost - the team matters second. And in all great sports and hockey games, there needs to be a great rivalry.

In other words, **** the Canucks.
Dallas Eakins is a good suggestion and a lot of fans wanted the Oilers to ask the Leafs for permission to talk to him in the off-season. I don't think that a lot of us saw the team promoting from within, I mean, why would they coming off a 29th place season? Honestly, I didn't think that Krueger being promoted was a possibility until Oilers radio stooge Bob Stauffer started planting seeds that he was the front runner. The man is a great talker and has quite the reputation as an inspirational individual and he obviously convinced some people with his golden tongue... and that's unfortunate. Hell, he sounds flustered in his postgame interviews now. They're sprinkled with his usual um, positivityisms but he's flubbing words and sounds overwhelmed... just like his team.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:38 AM
  #220
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,340
vCash: 50
Tambo is the puppet... he's the calming buffer zone between Lowe and other GM's. Lowe **** in the porridge of several GM's across the league and Tambo was brought in as the go-between to present and fish for counter offers with other teams.

This rebuild was set in place by Lowe/Katz and Tambo's job is to help execute the plan. He's integral but not the brains of the operation.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:39 AM
  #221
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Does Katz watch any Oilers games?

There's no way he does.
He is too busy with his suite in GM place

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:44 AM
  #222
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Hi guys.

Flames fan in peace.

I know he didn't do that well in his stint with Calgary/New Jersey, but Brent Sutter has always had a good way with kids. His WJC coaching tenure and his constant exposure to coaching the next generation of younger players in the WHL are proof of that.

Any interest? Aside from a Ruff/Burke combination, I do believe that coaching/GM duties kind of look like slim pickings at this moment. Brent could possibly fill one or the other, although I can totally understand why you wouldn't want him, rivalry reasons aside...
The way I would do it is hire the GM and let him pick his coach.

You fire Tambi and Lowe. I think MacT is a wise hockey man who has the ability to gauge pro players strengths and weaknesses so i would want to keep him in the organization. Clean house except for MacT who i would put in a word for with the new GM but leave it up to whoever that hire is for the final call.

The absentee GM act got stale a year ago.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:36 AM
  #223
MetaOil1993
Registered User
 
MetaOil1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
It's quite clear we need a clean house in management, We have this losing culture and it starts at the top from K-Lowe to Krueger, Time to get rid of all these clowns and bring in people who know how to run a hockey team.

Hoping fans will start to chat "Fire Tambo, Fire Lowe" when the team gets back from the road trip.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:10 AM
  #224
ukoiler83
Registered User
 
ukoiler83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northumberland, UK
Country: England
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ukoiler83
The worst rebuild in history.

The Oilers are the Islanders of the West

ukoiler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:15 AM
  #225
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Stauffer mailed it all away for a few extra bucks from Katz a few years back. I stopped listnening to that paid schill not long after.
Same.

Except that I think its more than a few extra bucks, and there's the buffet on the charter (he gets to sit with the guys) to consider too ....

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.