Notices

Jacobs Rank...

Old
03-04-2013, 09:34 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Jacobs Rank...

The latest billionaires list from Forbes is out and here's where JJ ranks this year:

http://www.forbes.com/profile/jeremy-jacobs-sr/

Great bit in there about how he helped drive the most recent lockout...

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
The latest billionaires list from Forbes is out and here's where JJ ranks this year:

http://www.forbes.com/profile/jeremy-jacobs-sr/

Great bit in there about how he helped drive the most recent lockout...
You know who could do more about embellishment than Julien's rant....Jacobs.

You know who could have helped set Boston up better after the first lockout....Jacobs.

You know who could have helped set Boston up better after this last lockout...Jacobs.

We get one of the few billionaires who figured out how to run a franchise purely for business reasons and not the joy/pride of winning.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:00 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
You know who could do more about embellishment than Julien's rant....Jacobs.

You know who could have helped set Boston up better after the first lockout....Jacobs.

You know who could have helped set Boston up better after this last lockout...Jacobs.

We get one of the few billionaires who figured out how to run a franchise purely for business reasons and not the joy/pride of winning.
Yup. Jacobs has major sway, but why would he use it to make the game better when he can use it to make himself a few more dollars instead??

Old
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Yup. Jacobs has major sway, but why would he use it to make the game better when he can use it to make himself a few more dollars instead??
Forget the game, the game in it's many iterations will be fine. What about selfishly his own freaking team. Dumped all of your salary responsibilities and set players free? Let a salary rollback go through. Have a GM who signs all of his players to sensible contracts? No rollback, allow amnesty buyouts that every drunken sailor GM there's been gets to use while the cap goes down.

The. Worst.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:13 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Forget the game, the game in it's many iterations will be fine. What about selfishly his own freaking team. Dumped all of your salary responsibilities and set players free? Let a salary rollback go through. Have a GM who signs all of his players to sensible contracts? No rollback, allow amnesty buyouts that every drunken sailor GM there's been gets to use while the cap goes down.

The. Worst.
But hey, he spends to the cap...

Old
03-04-2013, 10:14 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
But hey, he spends to the cap...
Some years.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:18 AM
HortonHearsAWoo
In the pipe, 5-on-5

Quote:
Boston is 14-3-2, how could they be set up any better?

HortonHearsAWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Some years.
<Insert cup reference as proof of something here>

Old
03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Boston is 14-3-2, how could they be set up any better?
They're set up this well because of some solid work done between Chiarelli, Gordon, and Bradley. Not because of the owner. Everyone you talk to says that he's driven the bus for the BOG in both lockouts, and yet the deal that's come out of them has literally been the worst possible thing for the Bruins. The deal coming out of the lockout had very little effect on this season, NEXT year if the cap drops further than say $66, and you'll see what I mean.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Scotto74

oh boy here we go again.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:16 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
oh boy here we go again.
What, you don't like to see where JJ ranks amongst all the wealthiest people in the world? It's pretty impressive.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
What, you don't like to see where JJ ranks amongst all the wealthiest people in the world? It's pretty impressive.
I cry just as much when I see a thread with JJ in the title as I do after a Hab's/Bruins game.

I need a nap.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:20 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I cry just as much when I see a thread with JJ in the title as I do after a Hab's/Bruins game.

I need a nap.
To me, all it does is demonstrate what JJ's focus is and always has been. He doesn't care about winning, he cares about profitability. No harm done either, he's simply a business man. That's it.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
cool. time to bash businessmen I guess. Jacobs is evil etc..

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:38 AM
CamFan81
Derp

good for him, can't hate on his money cuz I would love to have the same.

Him as an owner (prior to the cap) thats a different story

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
cool. time to bash businessmen I guess. Jacobs is evil etc..
Saying he's a good businessman, but a suboptimal franchise owner from a fan perspective is "bashing" him?

Old
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Saying he's a good businessman, but a suboptimal franchise owner from a fan perspective is "bashing" him?
Yep.

EDIT - This thread sure isn't about showering praise on him. Infact.. the entire point of showing where he ranks as a billionaire is entirely meant to knock on him, is it not?

Old
03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yep.

EDIT - This thread sure isn't about showering praise on him. Infact.. the entire point of showing where he ranks as a billionaire is entirely meant to knock on him, is it not?
Gotta say I disagree with this statement a 100%. I don't understand why you can't say what the reality of something is without someone getting their panties all in a bunch around here lately...

Old
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yep.

Not at all. It's meant as a testament to what kind of a business man he is. He's one of the wealthiest people in the world, FFS. That's flipping impressive even if I hate the guy as an owner.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Not at all. It's meant as a testament to what kind of a business man he is. He's one of the wealthiest people in the world, FFS. That's flipping impressive even if I hate the guy as an owner.
And I think that's a hugely important distinction to make. I don't know the man as an individual. So I won't speak to him as such. I root for laundry, and the guy who owns the laundry drove two lockouts and we benefited from neither. Since this is a hockey forum, and not a who is a totally awesome business man or good guy of the week forum, I think he's fair game in that regards. He's owned the team for how long? They're where in revenue relative to the league? and they went above and beyond how many times in that span?

Old
03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
And I think that's a hugely important distinction to make. I don't know the man as an individual. So I won't speak to him as such. I root for laundry, and the guy who owns the laundry drove two lockouts and we benefited from neither. Since this is a hockey forum, and not a who is a totally awesome business man or good guy of the week forum, I think he's fair game in that regards. He's owned the team for how long? They're where in revenue relative to the league? and they went above and beyond how many times in that span?
Well. He "drove" this past lockout and I happened to agree with him 110% with it. Followed the lockout since day one.. reading everything on twitter.. getting into the business of it all, the CBA, contracts.. everything.

I can't speak for you as I have no idea how involved you were in following the drama.. but I think most people didn't follow it all. Instead they read things like "Jacobs drove the 2nd lockout" and immediately hate him for it regardless of the details.

Again, after delving into the specifics of this latest lockout.. I don't hate him at all for what he did. And on the flip side, there are plenty of people who did follow the lockout, perceive the information differently and still hate him. I don't have a problem with that.

Just count me as the minority in this thread I suppose. I'm well aware how unpopular it is to not flat out hate the Bruins team owner.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Well. He "drove" this past lockout and I happened to agree with him 110% with it. Followed the lockout since day one.. reading everything on twitter.. getting into the business of it all, the CBA, contracts.. everything.

I can't speak for you as I have no idea how involved you were in following the drama.. but I think most people didn't follow it all. Instead they read things like "Jacobs drove the 2nd lockout" and immediately hate him for it regardless of the details.

Again, after delving into the specifics of this latest lockout.. I don't hate him at all for what he did. And on the flip side, there are plenty of people who did follow the lockout, perceive the information differently and still hate him. I don't have a problem with that.

Just count me as the minority in this thread I suppose. I'm well aware how unpopular it is to not flat out hate the Bruins team owner.
The negativity towards him as the owner has little to do with him actually driving the lockout, and everything to do with him driving the lockout and not managing to get a bone thrown to his own team like the other owners who were helping to drive the lockout. Philly, Montreal, Toronto, NY.... all are going to make great use of the 2 cap free amnesty buyouts. We'll rid ourselves of....Chris Kelly?!?! He could have held 4 of our closest competitors to the fire, the teams completely unwilling to revenue share and take the long view on emerging markets, instead..AMNESTY BUYOUTS FOR ALL. Gomez, Komisarek, Bryz, Redden. All coming off the cap from a competitor near you. Good job Pete, way to keep our contracts sensible, I handed 2 divisional teams and 2 of the beasts of the east Amnesty Buyouts.

And of course don't forget the LAST lockout. Where he worked with the GM to shed contracts...was high in the BOG ...killed the NHLPA....and got salary rollbacks....

Nothing from this lockout was good for the sport if you aren't one of the 6-10 big market owners.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
hoss75

Jacobs is a product of his upbringing.. Eddie Shore drove Jacob's father out of the locker room, declaring that the owner was supposed to be concerned with the business aspect of a franchise and stay out of the hockey. That's what Jacob's grew up with. I'm just glad his son is more concerned with winning than his father or grandfather

hoss75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
DaveFromNB

Too bad Charles Wang or the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan wouldn`t buy the Bruins so you people constantly whining about Jacobs could find out what a truly bad owner is.

Last edited by DaveFromNB: 03-04-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Changed Ontario Teachers Federation to Ontario Teachers Pension Plan
DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

So you're basically saying that you agree that the owners who came to terms on a CBA the previous time found ways to circumvent the spirit of that deal and that their own bad deals forced this last lockout to happen? I'm with you then. I find it strange that the players were the group being held responsible for the management missteps, but what do I know?