HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Jay Leno to retire again? OFFICIAL- FALLON takes over fall 2014

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
  #101
Egblad
I May Be The Stig
 
Egblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 9,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Conan may have a pretty scripted show, but I find it funny because he knows it sucks as much as the next person does. He doesn't try to hide it. He pokes fun at terrible jokes he tells. That's half the reason why I like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He's spontaneous and his mimery is funny and the only late night host to do that kind of stuff. He also has good crowd interaction which I find as an interesting element to the show. Best way to describe Conan's show is quirky. I am not a big fan of Leno because I don't think he acts like himself, if that makes sense. I feel as if we found him away from his show he would act completely different.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
  #102
Acadmus
retired mod
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Conan may have a pretty scripted show, but I find it funny because he knows it sucks as much as the next person does. He doesn't try to hide it. He pokes fun at terrible jokes he tells. That's half the reason why I like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He's spontaneous and his mimery is funny and the only late night host to do that kind of stuff. He also has good crowd interaction which I find as an interesting element to the show. Best way to describe Conan's show is quirky. I am not a big fan of Leno because I don't think he acts like himself, if that makes sense. I feel as if we found him away from his show he would act completely different.
I think you've finally nailed the difference. "Quirky" does not equal funny, but it's what a certain segment of society considers funny. They like to laugh at the eccentricities of others. Hence shows like 30 Rock, Community, The Office, and the like, which by and large are not actually funny, though you may chuckle at an absurdity here and there. They're quirky.

It's as if Seinfeld had been a show about Kramer, and nothing else, and without actual jokes. You just laugh at the odd way he behaves. It's a small detail of good comedy, but by itself it's like having a BLT without the bacon, tomato, or mayonnaise. Yeah, maybe some people will still like a lettuce sandwich...but most will find it lacking something.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
  #103
Acadmus
retired mod
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Don't think you're going to find many people backing you up on this one.
Maybe not on this board, but there's a reason he's #1 in the ratings. You'd be harder pressed out in the real world to find people who agree with your point of view.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
  #104
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Maybe not on this board, but there's a reason he's #1 in the ratings. You'd be harder pressed out in the real world to find people who agree with your point of view.
Wait, this isn't the real world?

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
  #105
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Wait, this isn't the real world?
You've not been to the Trades/Rumours board here, have you?

I think the point Acadmus is making is that the people on this board have one main thing in common - hockey - and although the people here may represent many backgrounds, ages, religions and so on, it is still just a small selection of people which does not adequately represent the world as a whole and might not contain as many people who would enjoy/prefer Leno. If Leno is number 1 in the ratings over there, clearly someone likes him. Whether they are here to join the discussion, who knows, but that popularity stems from somewhere.

Being English (and not overly exposed to the topic of this discussion) I'm not familiar with the traditions and history of American talk shows and the personalities hosting them. I have seen clips from various people mentioned though and have more familiarity with some than others.

For what little it's worth, from my own outsiders perspective, Jon Stewart is the funniest person I've seen mentioned but he's the one I've had most exposure to as well, as we get a bit of The Daily Show over here.

Of the others, Conan and Leno have come across as the next funniest guys in the bunch. In terms of comedy I might give the edge to Conan for straight up laughs. As a bit of a petrolhead, I enjoy watching Leno, he comes across as an easy guy to get along with so I can see why he'd be popular as a talk show host and he seems quick witted as well and can tell an anecdote or a one liner pretty well.

Fallon was the guy in the Taxi remake, right? From the little I've seen of him, he doesn't come across as that funny. He sounds like he's been told that his script is really funny, but only if it is delivered well and then he gets all nervous and tries to deliver it in a way that will be funny, but it comes across a bit awkward.

Not seen much of Kimmel either. For a while, I thought he was the same person as Jimmy Fallon. Didn't laugh at Kimmel either. Maybe it was just the clips I've seen of him but he came across more angry and bitter than funny

Letterman didn't seem that funny either, as far as the clips I've seen. Looked like he wavered in and out of wanting to conduct interviews. He'd ask questions and seem a bit disinterested until someone gave him an answer he liked, then he would perk up and remember what he was supposed to be doing.

Not sure I've seen Craig Ferguson at all to be honest.

Anyways, in short I can see why Leno does well in the ratings and out of the people being talked about, he'd be one of the ones I'd prefer to watch. But that is based on very limited viewing of some of those people.

Just for fun (my own primariliy), I'd like to see Frankie Boyle given one of those high profile talk shows in the States. The resulting explosions would probably even capture the attention of Michael Bay

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  #106
Behn Wilson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 3,850
vCash: 500
Leno's audience is older and he is not popular with the IWC which tends to be younger.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
  #107
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 59,181
vCash: 2458
fallon officially takes over 2014

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...w-nbc/2049083/

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
  #108
Eternal Sunshine
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 25,235
vCash: 500
Awful. I feel for Conan, a lot.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
  #109
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 21,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Awful. I feel for Conan, a lot.
I don't. He's rich, he has a medium, and a contract for a few more years. Sounds pretty good to me.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
  #110
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Jimmy Kimmel is the best late night talk show host once Reno is gone. Maybe he is now.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:10 PM
  #111
Eternal Sunshine
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 25,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
I don't. He's rich, he has a medium, and a contract for a few more years. Sounds pretty good to me.
He has also been ushered into irrelevance, despite being one of the better late night hosts on TV, because Leno and NBC couldn't plop or get off the porcelaine.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  #112
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
The worst part of all this is, Jimmy Fallon is terrible. Jay Leno may have problems but he is 100000000x better.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  #113
Colt45Blast
It works every time!
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 27,017
vCash: 466
NBC just keeps on finding ways to ruin itself. I expect Fallon to fail and the Tonight Show to be no more unless some hardcore comedian comes in to host the show.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
  #114
Eternal Sunshine
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 25,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
The worst part of all this is, Jimmy Fallon is terrible. Jay Leno may have problems but he is 100000000x better.
This as well. I think Leno's time ended ~ 5-10 years ago, but I would gladly take his show over Fallon.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  #115
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 34,067
vCash: 5113
Even more reason to avoid watching NBC.

If it wasn't for the NHL, I'd have zero reason to ever turn that channel on.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
  #116
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 201,910
vCash: 500
Fallon isn't funny. Poor decision.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:33 PM
  #117
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 201,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Even more reason to avoid watching NBC.

If it wasn't for the NHL, I'd have zero reason to ever turn that channel on.
What about Community?

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
  #118
Megahab
Registered User
 
Megahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,996
vCash: 500
Fallon is funnier than Leno. The only time Leno is kind of funny is during the monologue, which is scripted. Leno is never funny in his interactions with guests and audience while all the other late night hosts (Conan, Letterman, Fallon, Kimmel, and Ferguson) are. Most of the times that he tries to be funny on the spot (unscripted), it is failure. Conan is by far the funniest outside of the script out of him, Letterman, Leno, Fallon, and Kimmel. I haven't seen enough of Ferguson to judge him.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  #119
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 201,910
vCash: 500
Biggest problem with Fallon is that he tries to do bad impressions of singers. I remember his Bee Gees skit on SNL. That was funny. Most of the time, he isn't funny when singing. He wasn't funny when he imitated Neil Young while singing, on his show, and he's tried to sing other times on his show to no avail.

That, and many of his skits lack humor. But the media told me yesterday that NBC is enamored with this move because of Fallon and his "viral videos". Very well, but I'm not interested in seeing Fallon in the role. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:10 PM
  #120
Harbinger
Oppose and Disagree
 
Harbinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,388
vCash: 500
I hope the ratings for the tonight show are worse than Conan's were. Stupid joke of a network. You know, I wish Conan's contract with nbc had a time slot stipulation.

Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:14 PM
  #121
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,921
vCash: 500
NBC had to make a move they feared a potential move by CBS. With Letterman's contract also running out in 2014 they feared CBS scooping up Fallon and putting him in Dave's spot. A nice easy transition since both shows originate in New York.

.... at least this is another theory being floated out there.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
  #122
Beats By CoRD
Irrelevant Ferkland
 
Beats By CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: @HawnzDynasty
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,018
vCash: 50
Fallon is the man. So long Leno you were by far the WORST! IMO.

__________________

HawnzDynastyProductions.com
Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
  #123
Crimson Skorpion
Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 30,461
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Fallon isn't funny. Poor decision.
Fallon is funny, just not sure his type of humor will translate well to the audience tuning into that time slot. I prefer having someone host the Tonight Show that genuinely looks like he is having fun, which is why I love Fallon's show. Leno always came off as very fake.

I guess we now get bombarded with "Should have been Craig Ferguson," posts. Now THAT guy ISN'T funny.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
  #124
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 201,910
vCash: 500
Ferguson always seemed weird from the very limited exposure I have had to his TV show. Not usually up at 12:35 AM or whenever his show starts. And, as said before, Fallon has some pretty odd sketches. But NBC, again, likes him because of his potential to star in viral videos. For some reason, everyone but me loved his cover of Neil Young tunes.

See...the problem is that none of these skits are funny.

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...ight-star?lite

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
  #125
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Fallon is funny, just not sure his type of humor will translate well to the audience tuning into that time slot. I prefer having someone host the Tonight Show that genuinely looks like he is having fun, which is why I love Fallon's show. Leno always came off as very fake.

I guess we now get bombarded with "Should have been Craig Ferguson," posts. Now THAT guy ISN'T funny.
This just show how subjective comedy is. In my opinion the bold statements are reversed 180 degrees.

BTW, I doubt Ferguson wanted anything to do with that show. He knows he's likely to inherit CBS's 11:35 slot when Dave retires. Makes sense that CBS's earlier show goes to LA if NBC's is coming to New York. Much harder booking guest for both sides if shows were in the same city.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.