HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion Part II: The 'Stay on your Feet' Edition

Old
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
CN_paladin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
No doubt, they are. But watch his passes - they are horrible this year. Boggles my mind. He'll still have a couple fantastic passes a game, but even on the PP, his passes are off. It's so awkward looking.

Either way, this is the biggest game of his career tonight. He needs to step up.
Who's gonna take his long contract at 3.5M/year? I think we are stuck with that slow footed midget who used to play smart on the PP.

When a 5'8 player is physically weak, slow as heck, how ON EARTH can he succeed in the playoffs?

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Who's gonna take his long contract at 3.5M/year? I think we are stuck with that slow footed midget who used to play smart on the PP.

When a 5'8 player is physically weak, slow as heck, how ON EARTH can he succeed in the playoffs?
He's a good ES producer, he wasn't that much different that last year this season. $3.5M is nothing in this days NHL. Go look up players that make that much money.

We won't need to trade him because he's going to step up tonight and help us ****ing win.

Go Habs Go!!

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Is he playing bad ? Yes

Can he play better ? Possibly. He has shown it last year.

Is he lazy ? No

Please, let's wait next season to have a better reading about this player.

Nope.....

One thing i will always want for the habs.
Tired to be the intimidated team, tired to be the small team who get push around.

We need to get bigger and it starts by dropping the smallest player in the league like DD and Gionta.....only Gallagher can stay cause he is insane for a small player, but you can't keep both.

Gallgher, DD or Gionta.....easy choice.

Keep DD, and you'll always have a small team and always have a team easy to intimidate.

Last night, he didn't do anything good on that 5 on 3. This is his only job, his only utility for the team, and he blew it AGAIN.

Bergevin made a giant mistake by signing him.....not because he don't worth it. But because this 3.5M$ could have got us a big though winger which we really need....and we didn't need another small center, not with Eller and Galchy in our system

Milhouse40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Rosso Scuderia

DD needs big wingers on each side and make room for him in order to have success.

I would trade him asap. He will not succeed as a 2nd line center, espescially in the playoffs.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Et le But

Quote:
No doubt, they are. But watch his passes - they are horrible this year. Boggles my mind. He'll still have a couple fantastic passes a game, but even on the PP, his passes are off. It's so awkward looking.

Either way, this is the biggest game of his career tonight. He needs to step up.
He seems to be thinking slower out there. I'd almost call it Gomez syndrome - he doesn't trust his shot, so he'd rather force bad passes just to get rid of the puck.

He's better than Gomez was in the last two seasons still, at least in the offensive zone (though I fear for this team without Eller's ability to skate with the puck through the neutral zone, the one thing Gomez was great at), but his unwillingness to shoot is approaching Gomez levels.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The trade talk is a bit much, I'll give him at least another year before I back that idea...but he really has to be a whole lot better.

There was a play yesterday where the puck went into the boards and he was the first one there...only he didn't even touch the puck because he was bracing for the hit. The Sens guy just scooped it up and skated away. I'd call it a lost board battle, except there was no actual battle.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Basszor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The trade talk is a bit much, I'll give him at least another year before I back that idea...but he really has to be a whole lot better.

There was a play yesterday where the puck went into the boards and he was the first one there...only he didn't even touch the puck because he was bracing for the hit. The Sens guy just scooped it up and skated away. I'd call it a lost board battle, except there was no actual battle.
that was the exact same play i talked to my friends about. He looked like he wanted to stand between the guy and the puck but never actually went toward the puck just waited for it. The guy just pushed him away and took the puck. I really dont know what DD thought on that play.

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I don't think it's too soon.

Honestly, do you think our team, or any teams in the league would have a chance to win the Stanley Cup with Desharnais centering the 2nd line (some even call his line our 1st line)? Especially when your 1st center is Plekanec, who gets even more defensive duty in the playoffs, which almost make his line a checking line every playoffs. So that gives you Desharnais as your "1st" line center and expecting to lead our team to victory?

DD is not good enough as a center in the top 6 but he is not versatile enough to be a 3rd line center and I don't want a 3M$ 4th line midget center.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
He's a very smart player with a good work ethic. He just needs to figure it out. ES wise, his production is perfectly acceptable for his cap hit, as long as he can be better defensively. The coaching staff needs to work with him and Pacioretty in the defensive zone a lot.

But it's not that he can't be better - he is better. His passes this season look really off. He's not handling the puck like he can. I've watched him play for years now - he's a great passer. This year, he's missed so many passes and his passes are never crisp. It's not like him at all.
I think expecting more is what's causing a lot of the hate he gets...they see the role he's played as and expect him to produce as such rather than the player. Maybe this is just who he is...his smilar production rate at ES suggests as much. The PP is set up in a way making most forwards irrelevant so that lack of point production can be somewhat ignored. Habs have rarely tried back door plays or slot passes on PPs.

I see him a bit similar to Rene Bourque. If you expect him to be a top 6 quality player to be relied upon every game then you'd be disappointed and hate on his playing ability. But if you see him as a 3rd liner, then his play is a lot more palatable.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

He's getting pushed off the puck really easily for the past couple of months. Say what you want about his size, but he's displayed better puck protection than this in the past. Also, his passes are a bit off, which tells me he isn't right mentally, either.

Habs have been able to get away with his sub par play with their depth, but the depth (at least skilled depth) has depleted, and he really needs to snap out of it tonight. He will certainly have the ice time for it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:47 AM
4Beliveau

I really think Eller is locked in as the 2C going into next season. And that's where he'll be long term. Desharnais can produce points but isn't likely a no1 and can't be a checking centre either. I say move him to a team like Chicago or Phoenix that needs scoring centres.

Then pick up a 3C that fit into our long term plans.
Boyle
Bolland

By the time Plekanec is no longer effective you've got Galchenyuk-Eller as your 1-2 with a proper checking C as your 3rd liner.

4Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:51 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I really think Eller is locked in as the 2C going into next season. And that's where he'll be long term. Desharnais can produce points but isn't likely a no1 and can't be a checking centre either. I say move him to a team like Chicago or Phoenix that needs scoring centres.

Boyle
Bolland

By the time Plekanec is no longer effective you've got Galchenyuk-Eller as your 1-2 with a proper checking C as your 3rd liner.
Why would Chicago trade bolland for DD?

Also, I thought he looked quick tonight but his passes were always a little off. Guys had to stretch the stick to get them or whatever. He attempted a nice play to pass in front of the net and hit a skate. I didn't see him a liability tonight but not a performer either. We need more.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:32 AM
Guilliam

I thought tonight was his best game in a while. Seemed to have raised his game a little with Eller being injured.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:45 AM
4Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why would Chicago trade bolland for DD?
There's a Bolland thread on the trades page that has a few Hawks fans accepting DD + 2nd + b prospect for Bolland.

But I was more suggesting they move DD and try to get someone like Bolland or Boyle.

That being said I think there could be something there. Chicago has Kruger and Shaw and have been using Bolland as their 2C but he has a bad year. Hawks fans saying he's better suited to 3C. That's why they might bite on DD.

I'd even think about Plekanec for Bolland though. Let DD hang around until Galchenyuk's ready to move to C.

I think DD's fine, he just doesn't fill a big enough role to be involved long term. Eller needs to start getting more PP time and become our bigger, stronger Plekanec.

4Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
There's a Bolland thread on the trades page that has a few Hawks fans accepting DD + 2nd + b prospect for Bolland.

But I was more suggesting they move DD and try to get someone like Bolland or Boyle.

That being said I think there could be something there. Chicago has Kruger and Shaw and have been using Bolland as their 2C but he has a bad year. Hawks fans saying he's better suited to 3C. That's why they might bite on DD.

I'd even think about Plekanec for Bolland though. Let DD hang around until Galchenyuk's ready to move to C.

I think DD's fine, he just doesn't fill a big enough role to be involved long term. Eller needs to start getting more PP time and become our bigger, stronger Plekanec.
As much as I like bolland, I'd be weary of his concussion history. Boyle, I have no interest for.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:45 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

Boyle
Bolland

there is a deal easily with Phoenix , Calgary , or Nashville for DD

as long as you take back a similar contract it could get done in 5 minutes

those teams cant score and have nothing down the middle

Barkov Lindbolm ,etc arent ready to take over in the draft for these teams so DD makes sense as a short stop gap

we have our 3 centers

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Trading Desharnais for Brian Boyle? Wow.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Trading Desharnais for Brian Boyle? Wow.
The obsession with size on here is beyond ridiculous. Some think that if you build a team of 6'2" + 210+lbs guys that you'd be unbeatable.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:29 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He seems to be thinking slower out there. I'd almost call it Gomez syndrome - he doesn't trust his shot, so he'd rather force bad passes just to get rid of the puck.

He's better than Gomez was in the last two seasons still, at least in the offensive zone (though I fear for this team without Eller's ability to skate with the puck through the neutral zone, the one thing Gomez was great at), but his unwillingness to shoot is approaching Gomez levels.
I said in December that DD needed to adjust his game and score more goals. He has not done that. I thought he would because he is damn smart. I am very disappointed that he did not do this, and hence I am shocked at his signing.

This PO is his last hance to prove me wrong.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:31 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Great job stepping up after the timeout and the talk with Therrien. Was all over the ice after that. Grab your chance.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:31 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
We need more than just him.
Yeah. So what. We all know we need more from other players. This is the DD thread. We need more from him.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:34 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

I'm telling you guys, he's not hustling like he used to. Every time he moves his feet good things happen because his vision and puckskills are good, but every time he gets lazy he's a risk on the ice.

With Smurf#1 and Patches out we need Smurf#2 to step the f up.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:

I think Plekanecs will do everything he can do be a lifer with montreal.

Habbybirthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:35 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think expecting more is what's causing a lot of the hate he gets...they see the role he's played as and expect him to produce as such rather than the player. Maybe this is just who he is...his smilar production rate at ES suggests as much. The PP is set up in a way making most forwards irrelevant so that lack of point production can be somewhat ignored. Habs have rarely tried back door plays or slot passes on PPs.

I see him a bit similar to Rene Bourque. If you expect him to be a top 6 quality player to be relied upon every game then you'd be disappointed and hate on his playing ability. But if you see him as a 3rd liner, then his play is a lot more palatable.
All good: But he's not playing on the third line.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
All good: But he's not playing on the third line.
We basically have a 1st line and then equal 2nd/third lines.

And I just puked in my mouth when I saw someone bold the Plekanec for Bolland deal.

My god. Bob Gainey isn't even that stupid.