HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion Part II: The 'Stay on your Feet' Edition

Old
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
The point was simple. DD is a relatively accomplished scorer over a 100 game period at a level Eller hasn't come close to replicating over a significant sample. Also, Galchenyuk is an 18 year rookie who needs time to adjust. That was the point.

Pretty simple to comprehend, me thinks. I am also pretty certain that Eller will never be much more than a 40 point per year player even with power play time. He just doesn't appear to have a higher scorer's abilities to my eyes. If that's "irrational" and a "hater" to you, then so be it.
He's on pace for 40+ points pro-rated with a negligible powerplay time this year. He spent the majority of the year playing with scrubs as well. He's also 23, so yeah, there's plenty of room for him to improve.

I don't think you are a hater, but I don't think your argument holds any water whatsoever either. It's more of an opinion based on your perception, that presents no facts if we are being honest.

Comparing his situation to Desharnais (older, better ice time, better linemates...we've been over this soooooooo many times) is disingenuous to say the least.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
The point was simple. DD is a relatively accomplished scorer over a 100 game period at a level Eller hasn't come close to replicating over a significant sample. Also, Galchenyuk is an 18 year rookie who needs time to adjust. That was the point.

Pretty simple to comprehend, me thinks. I am also pretty certain that Eller will never be much more than a 40 point per year player even with power play time. He just doesn't appear to have a higher scorer's abilities to my eyes. If that's "irrational" and a "hater" to you, then so be it.
Have to be careful with the experience thing sometimes cause you know, at the age Eller is now, DD had 0 NHL game played...

so you can think Eller doesnt have much of a ceiling and isnt as good as DD... but try using facts at least.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
You're argument is very flawed. If we go by this, Desharnais was our "best defensive" top-6 guy last year. He was on the ice for less ES goals against than Cole, Pacioretty, and Plekanec.

It's a flawed argument because its based on luck right now.

The goalies SV% when DD and Pacioretty are on the ice is downright horrific and a complete anomaly, despite that line severely outshooting opposition while they are on the ice.

PS. All the guy was saying above you is that that line has a positive +/- since being put together which doesn't even take credit for their PP production. Even having a positive +\- through the last few weeks when including the Carey Price stinkers is incredible.
The SV% is horrific, mainly cause that line is all offensive and seems to not care too much about their defensive game. That is my points acutally.

I like that line in the offensive zone, but when plays are in our zone, they seems to always have trouble!!

Some poeple here should realize this: A players who's got problems playing well defensively, will hurt your teams if he's not producing.

Here again, i'll be accused of cherry-picking stats, but still....i'll do it, mayby some we'll get my point (and i'm not saying we must destroy the kid, but work need to be done).

Cause it's easy to help the team when you put up points.....but are you still helping when you are not???

Here's the +/- in the games thoses players haven't put up any points:

Plekanec: +2
Eller: -5
Prust: +1
Gionta: -6
Gallagher: -4
Galchenyuk: -5
Bourque: -6
Pacioretty: -5
Amrstrong: -4
Desharnais: -10

A player MUST help the team even if he is not producing offensively. And that is not the case.

(And when i was looking at numbers, one jumps....Galchenyuk played 14 games with Gally and Prust and in only one game, he finished in the minus......since that line as been broken....he's in the minus in 5 games out of 9)

And by the way, don't talk about the powerplay and that line.....cause i'm barely upset that Galchenyuk is not there already.
Desharnais: 1 passes in his last 15 games in PP
Gallagher: 0 points since put on that line in PP
Pacioretty: 4 points in his last 15 games in PP

Last edited by Milhouse40: 03-06-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
I agree about most of your post.

A team CAN win with DD on his team.....but this team will need to compensate for his lack of size and lack of defensive skills. That's not what the habs seems to be doing though! (Drafted small wingers, traded big wingers)

He do help us with some game, and some are only wins because of that line.....but they help us loose a couple also.

Therrien must do something with that line and i don't know what. They are so good offensively but such a liability defensively that this is mind boggling.

And i'm not getting this out of nowhere.....tha habs lost 5 big games (high scores) and here's a little something:

Islanders wins 6-3 (Last night)
3 even strenght goals by Islanders : DD on the ice for 2 of them

Pitsburgh wins 7-6
6 even strenght goals by Pitsburgh: DD on the ice for 4 of them

Toronto wins 6-0
4 even strenght goals by Toronto: DD on the ice for 3 of them

Buffalo wins 5-4
3 even strenght goals by Buffalo: DD on the ice for 2 of them

Ottawa wins 5-1
3 even strenght goals by Ottaw: DD on the ice for 2 of them

I'm not saying he or they are totally responsable for thoses losses....but it's no coincidence either. They wins us 4-5 games, but they lost 4-5 also.

That's the problem!

Habs must do something to fix this...the line of Pacioretty - DD - Gallgher is really exciting offensively, they are on the rolls and fun to watch, when they are in the offensive zone.....but do something to get better in your own zone!!!

Some posters thinks that DD's got easier points because he is not playing against top offensive line......but DD's often plays against top defensive line....so i got nothing against his offensive side and points.

But top defensive line SHOULDN'T score that many goals against that line on the ice!!!!

The defensive side of DD and this line in general is simply AWFUL!!!!
But it can be fix.....i want it fix!!
You realize this is one sided? For example, if a player is on the ice for 5 ES goals but scores 6 goals the same ES time, again, it's +. Putting up one stat and not the other is unfair. I haven't ran the numbers so I don't know but he's been productive, I can't imagine the total would be that bad.

Keep in mind, this is our losses. It's a biased argument. It's like me saying "in 100% of the games Pittsburgh has been shutout, crosby has zero goals". Kind of set up for failure is not? Projecting with that would give erroneous results.

I think that line is pretty strong on the puck actually. Pacioretty and Gallagher win a LOT of board battles and DD hustles as well. I'm actually surprised one would feel the line is a liability. By no means are the 3 Selke candidates but I see 3 no nonesense guys there. Pacioretty, DD and gallagher act and play like professionals, always competing. Several times, if it weren't for their plays we'd lose games but they keep us in by never giving up. I don't see why this can't be applied to defensive aspects as well. Just last game RDS showed pacioretty recovering a D's position in the offensive zone and making a smart defensive play.

Again, so while I agree they aren't stud defensive players I believe their compete is top notch and their defensive awareness isn't suspect. I don't consider them a liability at all. Individually, they are incomplete but together they work so well and dominate the boards so well. I think they are great. They don't get their goals from pretty passing. They have strong puck possesion skills and that's a key to defense.

Quote:
You're argument is very flawed. If we go by this, Desharnais was our "best defensive" top-6 guy last year. He was on the ice for less ES goals against than Cole, Pacioretty, and Plekanec.

It's a flawed argument because its based on luck right now.

The goalies SV% when DD and Pacioretty are on the ice is downright horrific and a complete anomaly, despite that line severely outshooting opposition while they are on the ice.

PS. All the guy was saying above you is that that line has a positive +/- since being put together which doesn't even take credit for their PP production. Even having a positive +\- through the last few weeks when including the Carey Price stinkers is incredible.
Agreed. Thing about stats is you can use as much as you want to prove a point but it may or may not be right. It's important to keep same metric for consistency.

The problem is when people use selective data or change their logic midway through an argument.

For instance, last year DD was only good because he had two big wingers. Now he doesn't but he's only good for a new reason. It seems to go nowhere.

That being said, if someone can provide data that says DD lets in more ES goals than he creates(which is pretty much +-) then it's somewhere to start. Of course, if the numbers are neglible or inconclusive we'd look at team record and other stuff to determine a better interpretation. An example would be that suppose player X has a rating of -5. It might mean he's a negative impact player but what if he's excellent on the PK or the PP scores at 100% clip when he's on? Certainly these things factor in.

These are things i'm open to discussing for sure, regardless of it makes DD or any habs player look bad. Complete, unbiased stats with consistent metrics and context.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You realize this is one sided? For example, if a player is on the ice for 5 ES goals but scores 6 goals the same ES time, again, it's +. Putting up one stat and not the other is unfair. I haven't ran the numbers so I don't know but he's been productive, I can't imagine the total would be that bad.

Keep in mind, this is our losses. It's a biased argument. It's like me saying "in 100% of the games Pittsburgh has been shutout, crosby has zero goals". Kind of set up for failure is not? Projecting with that would give erroneous results.

I think that line is pretty strong on the puck actually. Pacioretty and Gallagher win a LOT of board battles and DD hustles as well. I'm actually surprised one would feel the line is a liability. By no means are the 3 Selke candidates but I see 3 no nonesense guys there. Pacioretty, DD and gallagher act and play like professionals, always competing. Several times, if it weren't for their plays we'd lose games but they keep us in by never giving up. I don't see why this can't be applied to defensive aspects as well. Just last game RDS showed pacioretty recovering a D's position in the offensive zone and making a smart defensive play.

Again, so while I agree they aren't stud defensive players I believe their compete is top notch and their defensive awareness isn't suspect. I don't consider them a liability at all. Individually, they are incomplete but together they work so well and dominate the boards so well. I think they are great. They don't get their goals from pretty passing. They have strong puck possesion skills and that's a key to defense.

Agreed. Thing about stats is you can use as much as you want to prove a point but it may or may not be right. It's important to keep same metric for consistency.

The problem is when people use selective data or change their logic midway through an argument.

For instance, last year DD was only good because he had two big wingers. Now he doesn't but he's only good for a new reason. It seems to go nowhere.

That being said, if someone can provide data that says DD lets in more ES goals than he creates(which is pretty much +-) then it's somewhere to start. Of course, if the numbers are neglible or inconclusive we'd look at team record and other stuff to determine a better interpretation. An example would be that suppose player X has a rating of -5. It might mean he's a negative impact player but what if he's excellent on the PK or the PP scores at 100% clip when he's on? Certainly these things factor in.

These are things i'm open to discussing for sure, regardless of it makes DD or any habs player look bad. Complete, unbiased stats with consistent metrics and context.

Good post, as usual.

It's times like this I wish I had a button that called in Talks with Goalposts, so he could come in and make us all look stupid for how badly we're using the stats

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Why are we even talking about Eller anyway? FWIW, I'm skeptical about Eller being a top 6 forward but he's responded to Therrien's recommendations and I see him play with more determination and he's showing good puck skills. I'm still skeptical of his upside but he's got time, he's showing improvement and thats what matters at this point. If he becomes a legit top 6 guy, I'll be thrilled to take back my comments about his upside.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Megaforce

Eller needs to work on his shot.

Puck comes off his stick like overcooked spaghetti drowning in mud.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Eller needs to work on his shot.

Puck comes off his stick like overcooked spaghetti drowning in mud.
He's got a decent shot but his release is slow. Takes him a while to get off a good shot. It's something he can work on though.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
DAChampion

DD is a terrible defensive player.

I say that off watching the games, he cost us the overtime against Pittsburgh, they took the puck from him like it was candy from a baby.

He will either need to play better defense, or be converted to wing where defense matters less.

He should also probably not be a go to guy 4 on 4.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He should be the third choice for 4 on 4, because at least he can somewhat take a faceoff.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
DD is a terrible defensive player.

I say that off watching the games, he cost us the overtime against Pittsburgh, they took the puck from him like it was candy from a baby.

He will either need to play better defense, or be converted to wing where defense matters less.

Wrong.

90% of the blame on that goal goes to Pacioretty.

Desharnais did look tired and back checked with near zero intensity (he is usually intense when back checking; his problems start once the opponents gain control in our zone) but Max was hypnotized by the puck, back checked too deep, and let his man, Sutter, completely free. There was a man behind Desharnais on that play btw.

Desharnais is no defensive juggernaut, far from it, but blaming him for another player’s mistake is... weak.

Ref.: http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020306

Regarding "... or be converted to wing...", once Galchenyuk is ready to assume C duties in 1-3 year(s), chances are Eller is the one who will end up on wing alongside, for instance, Plekanec. His play is more suited for wing imo.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozela View Post
Dudes are so funny here

Desharnais is not good defensively and that's a fact

You can't have Desharnais & Plekanec in your team playing center when you have small fowards like Gallagher & Gionta..
Yeah you sure cant - if we did we might be 1st in the East or something.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
The SV% is horrific, mainly cause that line is all offensive and seems to not care too much about their defensive game. That is my points acutally.

I like that line in the offensive zone, but when plays are in our zone, they seems to always have trouble!!

Some poeple here should realize this: A players who's got problems playing well defensively, will hurt your teams if he's not producing.

Here again, i'll be accused of cherry-picking stats, but still....i'll do it, mayby some we'll get my point (and i'm not saying we must destroy the kid, but work need to be done).

Cause it's easy to help the team when you put up points.....but are you still helping when you are not???

Here's the +/- in the games thoses players haven't put up any points:

Plekanec: +2
Eller: -5
Prust: +1
Gionta: -6
Gallagher: -4
Galchenyuk: -5
Bourque: -6
Pacioretty: -5
Amrstrong: -4
Desharnais: -10

A player MUST help the team even if he is not producing offensively. And that is not the case.

(And when i was looking at numbers, one jumps....Galchenyuk played 14 games with Gally and Prust and in only one game, he finished in the minus......since that line as been broken....he's in the minus in 5 games out of 9)

And by the way, don't talk about the powerplay and that line.....cause i'm barely upset that Galchenyuk is not there already.
Desharnais: 1 passes in his last 15 games in PP
Gallagher: 0 points since put on that line in PP
Pacioretty: 4 points in his last 15 games in PP
Ridiculous. The DD line severely outshots and outplays their opponents nightly. The sub .900 SV% is an anamoly. Not sure how that's hard to understand. It won't stay there over the course of a full season. No regular Hab had an on-ice SV% under .900 last year.

If Price and Budaj suddenly crap the bed when Pleks is on the ice is he going to be poor defensively? Pleks was on the ice for the most ES gaols against last year - is he bad defensively? You can't use one stat to prove the world. It's more complex than that.

And Galchenyuk has been one of the worst players over the past week or so. He's looked like a chicken with his head cut off.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
MXD

Quote:
Ridiculous. The DD line severely outshots and outplays their opponents nightly. The sub .900 SV% is an anamoly. Not sure how that's hard to understand. It won't stay there over the course of a full season. No regular Hab had an on-ice SV% under .900 last year.

If Price and Budaj suddenly crap the bed when Pleks is on the ice is he going to be poor defensively? Pleks was on the ice for the most ES gaols against last year - is he bad defensively? You can't use one stat to prove the world. It's more complex than that.
That's basically what I was saying in the other thread, regarding PDO, and I was getting laughed at. Don't lose too much time on people who can understand, but who just won't.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He should be the third choice for 4 on 4, because at least he can somewhat take a faceoff.
Our centers are very similar in takeoff ability. For me that is a non factor.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

And Galchenyuk has been one of the worst players over the past week or so. He's looked like a chicken with his head cut off.
Galchenyuk gets more rope than anybody else on the team, and rightly so.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Yep....you did bring Galchenyuk in this...but still, you didn't see it!!

Why did Galchenyuk was put on the wings (where he started to look like a chicken with his head cut off)?

According to Therrien (if we decide to drink this kool-aid) it was to unload defensive duties from Galchenyuk.....

Yeah right....we needed so much to unload the defensive charge on a guy who was
+7 at the time, leading the team with Prust and Gallagher and in the process managed to get 8 points in 13 games.

In those 13 games...Galchenyuk had only one game in the minus.

Since we supposedly took his defensive duties away....in 10 games, he's been in the minus for 5 games out of 10......and he is -2 total during those 10 games

while Galchenyuk got a magnificent +7....DD was -6.

Who was really in needs of getting his defensive duties off?

Since we trade the Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher line which wasn't a defenisve minded line for.....Prust-Eller-Gionta/Galchenyuk.....which is a more defensive minded line....DD as gone +5

Did you see this?
Clear as day......

We destroy the Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher line simply cause we needed another line able to play a more defensive minded-games....cause Pacioretty-DD-Cole totally failed at playing this kind of game from time to time.

Galchenyuk centering the a 3rd mainly offenive line:
Galchy: 8 pts/13 games and +7
DD: 5 pts/13 games and -6

Eller centering a more defensive-minded games (with Galchenyuk on the wings)
Galchy: 5 points in 10 games and a -2
DD: 10 points in 10 games and a +5

Since Therrien realize that this line (Pacioretty-DD-Cole) wasn't able to take care of defensive duties....he tried to find another since then. And it was the right thing to do for the team...but i hate that Galchenyuk is the one to pay the price.

Putting Eller in the middle with Prust
Then adding Gionta to the mix.....then putting Moen with Plekanec from time to time.

You can't have two lines who only talents his offensive....The 2 kids are way to green to start playing defensive-minded games.....DD's line should have been able, but they were not!!!

That is why Galchenyuk is forced to play on the wing....cause some others can only play one kind of game and suck at the others.

Last edited by Milhouse40: 03-07-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
MXD

Quote:
Since Therrien realize that this line (Pacioretty-DD-Cole) wasn't able to take care of defensive duties....he tried to find another since then. And it was the right thing to do for the team...but i hate that Galchenyuk is the one to pay the price.
You realize that this very paragraph should have been the only paragraph of your reply?

What matters is the team.

Which, once again, you don't seem to understand.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:44 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
You realize that this very paragraph should have been the only paragraph of your reply?

What matters is the team.

Which, once again, you don't seem to understand.
The tean's long term future rests on Galxhenyuk's development.

They were giving him easy minutes to develop him well, but now they have taken those away to help DD, who was unable to compete in the NHL as a 27 year old without the minutes 18 year old AG was getting.

Hopefully this is not a long term thing.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:46 PM
MXD

Quote:

They were giving him easy minutes to develop him well, but now they have taken those away to help DD, who was unable to compete in the NHL as a 27 year old without the minutes 18 year old AG was getting.

Maybe he was just slumping?
Actually, if you saw ANY of the games, he WAS slumping, or simply playing worse (...way worse) than he actually does.
I know, this is something RelCorsi don't tell you...
Besides, when they took Gally of C, well, the team started winning.
And the TEAM got better.

Which is more important than one individual being better. Plus, the move enabled Eller to play C.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I like how every single other player's production or development rests on DD's shoulders. It's a little much no?

BTW, how is facing Chara easy minutes? No matter how you slice it, with offensize zone starts or whatever at end of the day Chara is on for DD and less for galchenyuk. How is this terrible for AG's development exactly?

Old
03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:

So at the start of the season, DD was playing against better oposition than he is now? Wow, I remember people bringing Corsi here and there at after 10 game showing how DD was facing the "worst" line each night, and you are saying his adversity have downgraded even more? Gosh, I guess other team are now dressing their AHL third line just to play against DD line.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:53 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Yep....you did bring Galchenyuk in this...but still, you didn't see it!!

Why did Galchenyuk was put on the wings (where he started to look like a chicken with his head cut off)?

According to Therrien (if we decide to drink this kool-aid) it was to unload defensive duties from Galchenyuk.....

Yeah right....we needed so much to unload the defensive charge on a guy who was
+7 at the time, leading the team with Prust and Gallagher and in the process managed to get 8 points in 13 games.

In those 13 games...Galchenyuk had only one game in the minus.

Since we supposedly took his defensive duties away....in 10 games, he's been in the minus for 5 games out of 10......and he is -2 total during those 10 games

while Galchenyuk got a magnificent +7....DD was -6.

Who was really in needs of getting his defensive duties off?

Since we trade the Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher line which wasn't a defenisve minded line for.....Prust-Eller-Gionta/Galchenyuk.....which is a more defensive minded line....DD as gone +5

Did you see this?
Clear as day......

We destroy the Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher line simply cause we needed another line able to play a more defensive minded-games....cause Pacioretty-DD-Cole totally failed at playing this kind of game from time to time.

Galchenyuk centering the a 3rd mainly offenive line:
Galchy: 8 pts/13 games and +7
DD: 5 pts/13 games and -6

Eller centering a more defensive-minded games (with Galchenyuk on the wings)
Galchy: 5 points in 10 games and a -2
DD: 10 points in 10 games and a +5

Putting Eller in the middle with Prust
Then adding Gionta to the mix.....then putting Moen with Plekanec from time to time.

You can't have two lines who only talents his offensive....The 2 kids are way to green to start playing defensive-minded games.....DD's line should have been able, but they were not!!!

That is why Galchenyuk is forced to play on the wing....cause some others can only play one kind of game and suck at the others.
Galchenyuk, like DD, needs easy minutes to succeed.

As in getting those offensive zone starts against 3rd liners and giving Gallagher on his wing.

The difference? Galchenyuk is 18, not 27; and he has the potential to be an 80-90 point center, not a 60 point center.

Do you remember the mood on this forum after the first 10 games? People were thrilled Gally was dominating, and some were annoyed DD's trade value was declining now that he was not sheltered anymore, since Gally was sheltered.

Now, the easy minutes have been transferred from Galchenyuk to DD with predictable results.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:57 PM
MXD

Quote:

Now, the easy minutes have been transferred from Galchenyuk to DD with predictable results.
We started winning more?

Old
03-07-2013, 03:58 PM
MXD

Quote:
Galchenyuk, like DD, needs easy minutes to succeed.

As in getting those offensive zone starts against 3rd liners and giving Gallagher on his wing.

The difference? Galchenyuk is 18, not 27; and he has the potential to be an 80-90 point center, not a 60 point center.

Do you remember the mood on this forum after the first 10 games? People were thrilled Gally was dominating, and some were annoyed DD's trade value was declining now that he was not sheltered anymore, since Gally was sheltered.

Besides....
I need evidence that DD's quality of opposition FELL. Because, you know, since I watch the games...

I just not THAT convinced.