HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Wheeler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 02:34 AM
  #1
BrookswasHere44
Registered User
 
BrookswasHere44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 500
Blake Wheeler

Not that he is available...i guess hes not but what would he fetch you think...specifically from Pittsburgh?

You guys as fans are awesome!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:55 AM
  #2
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 50
hmmm IMO all of your guys are either far more valuable (Crosby, Malkin and Neal) or far less valuable.

Don't really see any fitting in with needs, age and value working out.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:58 AM
  #3
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,325
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
hmmm IMO all of your guys are either far more valuable (Crosby, Malkin and Neal) or far less valuable.

Don't really see any fitting in with needs, age and value working out.
Pretty much. Outside of Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Neal, or Letang, there is no one who would generate any interest from Chevy.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:16 AM
  #4
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO
 
Reed Solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Man.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
Not that he is available...i guess hes not but what would he fetch you think...specifically from Pittsburgh?

You guys as fans are awesome!
5 Crosbys and 9 Malkins.

aka I see no realistic scenario where it could happen.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:08 AM
  #5
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 495
Beau Bennett, Brandon Sutter, +

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
  #6
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 975
vCash: 2014
There's plenty of guys Chevy would be interested in. Depres, Harrington, Maata, Bennet, Wilson etc. Pitt has no organizational depth at center though, which is what we need.

I think Wheeler will wear out his welcome here eventually, but with the new baby etc., TNSE won't be moving him anytime soon. Seems like its a "family organization" which is a concept that generally doesn't lend itself to winning in pro sports, unfortunately.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:23 AM
  #7
Donald
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
I think Wheeler will wear out his welcome here eventually, but with the new baby etc., TNSE won't be moving him anytime soon. Seems like its a "family organization" which is a concept that generally doesn't lend itself to winning in pro sports, unfortunately.
Yes, and they are more interested in winning at the AHL level than the NHL too right?

Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:36 AM
  #8
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,096
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
There's plenty of guys Chevy would be interested in. Depres, Harrington, Maata, Bennet, Wilson etc. Pitt has no organizational depth at center though, which is what we need.

I think Wheeler will wear out his welcome here eventually, but with the new baby etc., TNSE won't be moving him anytime soon. Seems like its a "family organization" which is a concept that generally doesn't lend itself to winning in pro sports, unfortunately.
Ok, I'll bite. Why?

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  #9
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 975
vCash: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Why?
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
  #10
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Penguins obviously have some attractive pieces (Morrow, Harrington, Bennet, Sutter) but probably none that would entice Chevy to ship out Wheeler because Wheeler is needed much more than any of those attractive options. These teams don't make good trade partners and no way is Wheeler moved unless it was considered a mass overpayment or the JETS can't get Wheeler under contract.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
  #11
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.
Yeah, that guy can't pass at all. He's always played like a powerforward.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  #12
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.
have you actually watched wheeler or is this just based on how tall/heavy he is?

his passing and "hockey iq" are waaay above his shooting ability AINEC.

he seems to have been the most effective player on the jets last year by primarily using his subpar hockey iq.

but forget about results right? those aren't what matter...

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
  #13
Potrzebie
Registered User
 
Potrzebie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 925
vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.
This made me . When he's on his game he's one of the better playmakers on the team. You sure you don't have him confused with another Jets winger that gets ragged on for having "no hockey IQ" and can only "drive hard and blast the puck"?

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
  #14
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
have you actually watched wheeler or is this just based on how tall/heavy he is?

his passing and "hockey iq" are waaay above his shooting ability AINEC.

he seems to have been the most effective player on the jets last year by primarily using his subpar hockey iq.

but forget about results right? those aren't what matter...
The results you speak of:

2011-12 for RWers:
top10 in primary assist per minute
top20 in pts per minute

2012-13 for RWers:
top 30 in all 3 main categories (goals, primary assists and points per minute)

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
  #15
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
The results you speak of:

2011-12 for RWers:
top10 in primary assist per minute
top20 in pts per minute

2012-13 for RWers:
top 30 in all 3 main categories (goals, primary assists and points per minute)
mmhmm... this is a lot like the "enstrom needs a shorter stick" complaint...

He seems to be having a helluva lot of success doing things the way his now, don't know what would make anyoen think doing something different would improve there game.....if it ain't broke.. don't fix it...

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:48 PM
  #16
bazaaa*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.
I'm willing to bet a lot of money you don't know what hockey iq really means.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
  #17
Aries56
Registered User
 
Aries56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
Need a reason why Wheeler isn't going anywhere? The guys a leader, look at last game vs Washington. Took a shot off the knee and needed help to the locker room. Later that period, he was back out there trying to play (unsuccessfully, but there was no lack of effort).

Third period started and it was announced he was out for the rest of the game. Wheeler shows up on the bench and ends up playing the rest of the game.

That's leadership, dedication and leading by example. The guy has heart.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:52 PM
  #18
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 50
Anyone know what Wheelers numbers looked like after his cold streak at the start of the season last year and when it ended? I'm curious about his numbers over his last 82 games

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
  #19
Aerial
Registered User
 
Aerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Anyone know what Wheelers numbers looked like after his cold streak at the start of the season last year and when it ended? I'm curious about his numbers over his last 82 games
Just did quick math. After the first 18 games of 2011-12, Wheeler went 57 points in 62 games, so .92 PPG. So far this season he's at .81 PPG, which I'd have to guess is a little less just because of their recent power-play woes.

But yeah, I agree with others. Wheeler's just fine where he is, he's not going anywhere, and he brings a lot to the team on and off the ice. Hard to see how the Jets would gain by trading him for anything realistic. We'll be adding to him, not through him.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
  #20
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Anyone know what Wheelers numbers looked like after his cold streak at the start of the season last year and when it ended? I'm curious about his numbers over his last 82 games
73 points in 82 games works for me.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
  #21
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Just did quick math. After the first 18 games of 2011-12, Wheeler went 57 points in 62 games, so .92 PPG. So far this season he's at .81 PPG, which I'd have to guess is a little less just because of their recent power-play woes.

But yeah, I agree with others. Wheeler's just fine where he is, he's not going anywhere, and he brings a lot to the team on and off the ice. Hard to see how the Jets would gain by trading him for anything realistic. We'll be adding to him, not through him.
I didn't do any math so I'll just trust you
But it looks about right. Wheeler is getting a (TINY) bit less TOI per game but his 5v5 scoring per min is the highest of his career so far... if he had equal amount of PPP as last season he'd be over a pt/gp I'd bet (again no math ).

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
  #22
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 975
vCash: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
I'm willing to bet a lot of money you don't know what hockey iq really means.
I'm not sure what it means to you, but I'm quite sure that you and I do not function at the same level. As for Wheeler, I think he played the best hockey of his career last season, but it hasn't been the same this season. Certainly would be a stretch to call him a play maker.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
  #23
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
I'm not sure what it means to you, but I'm quite sure that you and I do not function at the same level. As for Wheeler, I think he played the best hockey of his career last season, but it hasn't been the same this season. Certainly would be a stretch to call him a play maker.
statistically he's scoring better than last season if you remove last season...
goals and playmaking

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:34 PM
  #24
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
I'm not sure what it means to you, but I'm quite sure that you and I do not function at the same level. As for Wheeler, I think he played the best hockey of his career last season, but it hasn't been the same this season. Certainly would be a stretch to call him a play maker.
He was 26th in the NHL last year in primary assists per minute and he had a few beauties this year.

That looks like the mark of a playmaker to me.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
  #25
roosemoose
Registered User
 
roosemoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Morden, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Blake Wheeler is a great power forward and the real deal as a top six forward. He is the type of guy a team can build around which Jets will do for sure.

roosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.