Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Wheeler

Old
03-04-2013, 02:34 AM
BrookswasHere44

vCash: 500
Blake Wheeler

Not that he is available...i guess hes not but what would he fetch you think...specifically from Pittsburgh?

You guys as fans are awesome!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:55 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
hmmm IMO all of your guys are either far more valuable (Crosby, Malkin and Neal) or far less valuable.

Don't really see any fitting in with needs, age and value working out.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:58 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
hmmm IMO all of your guys are either far more valuable (Crosby, Malkin and Neal) or far less valuable.

Don't really see any fitting in with needs, age and value working out.
Pretty much. Outside of Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Neal, or Letang, there is no one who would generate any interest from Chevy.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
Not that he is available...i guess hes not but what would he fetch you think...specifically from Pittsburgh?

You guys as fans are awesome!
5 Crosbys and 9 Malkins.

aka I see no realistic scenario where it could happen.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:08 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Beau Bennett, Brandon Sutter, +

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
There's plenty of guys Chevy would be interested in. Depres, Harrington, Maata, Bennet, Wilson etc. Pitt has no organizational depth at center though, which is what we need.

I think Wheeler will wear out his welcome here eventually, but with the new baby etc., TNSE won't be moving him anytime soon. Seems like its a "family organization" which is a concept that generally doesn't lend itself to winning in pro sports, unfortunately.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
I think Wheeler will wear out his welcome here eventually, but with the new baby etc., TNSE won't be moving him anytime soon. Seems like its a "family organization" which is a concept that generally doesn't lend itself to winning in pro sports, unfortunately.
Yes, and they are more interested in winning at the AHL level than the NHL too right?

Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
There's plenty of guys Chevy would be interested in. Depres, Harrington, Maata, Bennet, Wilson etc. Pitt has no organizational depth at center though, which is what we need.

Ok, I'll bite. Why?

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Why?
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Penguins obviously have some attractive pieces (Morrow, Harrington, Bennet, Sutter) but probably none that would entice Chevy to ship out Wheeler because Wheeler is needed much more than any of those attractive options. These teams don't make good trade partners and no way is Wheeler moved unless it was considered a mass overpayment or the JETS can't get Wheeler under contract.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.
Yeah, that guy can't pass at all. He's always played like a powerforward.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
have you actually watched wheeler or is this just based on how tall/heavy he is?

his passing and "hockey iq" are waaay above his shooting ability AINEC.

he seems to have been the most effective player on the jets last year by primarily using his subpar hockey iq.

but forget about results right? those aren't what matter...

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
This made me . When he's on his game he's one of the better playmakers on the team. You sure you don't have him confused with another Jets winger that gets ragged on for having "no hockey IQ" and can only "drive hard and blast the puck"?

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
have you actually watched wheeler or is this just based on how tall/heavy he is?

his passing and "hockey iq" are waaay above his shooting ability AINEC.

he seems to have been the most effective player on the jets last year by primarily using his subpar hockey iq.

but forget about results right? those aren't what matter...
The results you speak of:

2011-12 for RWers:
top10 in primary assist per minute
top20 in pts per minute

2012-13 for RWers:
top 30 in all 3 main categories (goals, primary assists and points per minute)

Old
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
The results you speak of:

2011-12 for RWers:
top10 in primary assist per minute
top20 in pts per minute

2012-13 for RWers:
top 30 in all 3 main categories (goals, primary assists and points per minute)
mmhmm... this is a lot like the "enstrom needs a shorter stick" complaint...

He seems to be having a helluva lot of success doing things the way his now, don't know what would make anyoen think doing something different would improve there game.....if it ain't broke.. don't fix it...

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:48 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
I'm willing to bet a lot of money you don't know what hockey iq really means.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Aries56

Need a reason why Wheeler isn't going anywhere? The guys a leader, look at last game vs Washington. Took a shot off the knee and needed help to the locker room. Later that period, he was back out there trying to play (unsuccessfully, but there was no lack of effort).

Third period started and it was announced he was out for the rest of the game. Wheeler shows up on the bench and ends up playing the rest of the game.

That's leadership, dedication and leading by example. The guy has heart.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:52 PM
JetsHomer

Anyone know what Wheelers numbers looked like after his cold streak at the start of the season last year and when it ended? I'm curious about his numbers over his last 82 games

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Anyone know what Wheelers numbers looked like after his cold streak at the start of the season last year and when it ended? I'm curious about his numbers over his last 82 games
Just did quick math. After the first 18 games of 2011-12, Wheeler went 57 points in 62 games, so .92 PPG. So far this season he's at .81 PPG, which I'd have to guess is a little less just because of their recent power-play woes.

But yeah, I agree with others. Wheeler's just fine where he is, he's not going anywhere, and he brings a lot to the team on and off the ice. Hard to see how the Jets would gain by trading him for anything realistic. We'll be adding to him, not through him.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
73 points in 82 games works for me.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Just did quick math. After the first 18 games of 2011-12, Wheeler went 57 points in 62 games, so .92 PPG. So far this season he's at .81 PPG, which I'd have to guess is a little less just because of their recent power-play woes.

But yeah, I agree with others. Wheeler's just fine where he is, he's not going anywhere, and he brings a lot to the team on and off the ice. Hard to see how the Jets would gain by trading him for anything realistic. We'll be adding to him, not through him.
I didn't do any math so I'll just trust you
But it looks about right. Wheeler is getting a (TINY) bit less TOI per game but his 5v5 scoring per min is the highest of his career so far... if he had equal amount of PPP as last season he'd be over a pt/gp I'd bet (again no math ).

Old
03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
I'm willing to bet a lot of money you don't know what hockey iq really means.
I'm not sure what it means to you, but I'm quite sure that you and I do not function at the same level. As for Wheeler, I think he played the best hockey of his career last season, but it hasn't been the same this season. Certainly would be a stretch to call him a play maker.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I'm not sure what it means to you, but I'm quite sure that you and I do not function at the same level. As for Wheeler, I think he played the best hockey of his career last season, but it hasn't been the same this season. Certainly would be a stretch to call him a play maker.
statistically he's scoring better than last season if you remove last season...
goals and playmaking

Old
03-04-2013, 07:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
He was 26th in the NHL last year in primary assists per minute and he had a few beauties this year.

That looks like the mark of a playmaker to me.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
roosemoose

Blake Wheeler is a great power forward and the real deal as a top six forward. He is the type of guy a team can build around which Jets will do for sure.

roosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote