Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part V

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
@icemancometh: Boudreau alluded to Jonas Hiller probably getting Sunday start vs. STL. Noted that Blues got to Fasth in last meeting.
Discuss/rant as you choose.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Seems fair.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Boston has a very interesting situation, will only have just under $12 million in cap space and only 15 guys signed. Now they have a lot of cogs locked up, but Rask will want a good chunk of that money, and their defense will have a decent hole on it if Ference leaves. Bergeron's deal is also up in 2014, and he'll be needing a raise. The funny thing about Krejci is that of all the guys with NTCs, his is probably the weakest; it doesn't kick in until next year and he only has a 6-team no trade list. He's probably not the guy they should deal, but could be the one they do deal, although I certainly wouldn't.

With regards to Perry, they don't seem to be overly complacent, and want to get better, but they are kind of stuck. If they wanted any hope in hell of landing Perry, they'd need to deal a guy like Krejci. It'd be the only thing that really makes sense, pair Perry and Seguin up, while Marchand and Bergeron stick together, and work Lucic and whoever else in after that. I don't think they have much of a shot at Perry or anyone, though. Not unless they shake things up quite a bit, and they won't.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Exit Dose

If we trade Perry, it will be to place he wants to go, not necessarily to a place that has the return we want.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Only way the Boston trade for perry and Krejci makes any sense is if he agrees to sign an extension there and he definitely won't sign with us. Too many variables.

Statsny is a possibility but its really hard to know what we are going to do with the Perry thing still over our head.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:45 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
If we trade Perry, it will be to place he wants to go, not necessarily to a place that has the return we want.
are you kidding? why would we do that. if we trade perry then its for the best possible return..
its not like he has a NTC or a NMC

Old
03-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
are you kidding? why would we do that. if we trade perry then its for the best possible return..
Perry doesn't have to agree to sign with anyone just because we own his rights. He definitely has power over where he ends up. Unless you're really dying for spare parts and a couple of picks, that's the reality.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Ducks will get less value for Perry if its not a sign and trade. I doubt many teams would pony up top prospects and players a rental.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Unless by doing so there's a greater chance of him playing along to get a better return, that doesn't make any sense at all. If he's traded, why wouldn't it be for the best return possible?

Old
03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Ducks will get less value for Perry if its not a sign and trade. I doubt many teams would pony up top prospects and players a rental.
And if it is a sign and trade, or he's agreed to an extension with the new team, that will almost certainly lead to the best return possible.

There's no sense in dealing Perry and getting a lesser return than you can. If the decision is to get what we can for him, it's for the best package. There's no reason to deal him if we're not getting the best package possible.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Unless by doing so there's a greater chance of him playing along to get a better return, that doesn't make any sense at all. If he's traded, why wouldn't it be for the best return possible?
That isn't what I said. I said that he has control over what the best return possible is going to be. Just because we want Krejci doesn't mean that's even an option.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
That isn't what I said. I said that he has control over what the best return possible is going to be. Just because we want Krejci doesn't mean that's even an option.
You need to explain all your thoughts then because that is all you actually said in what I replied to, you didn't say a word about Krejci. I'm gathering you're just implying what I said then, that a team will give a better return if Perry is willing to sign with them?

And, to be honest, he may still get traded somewhere else if the Ducks prefer the return they can get from another team. Unlikely, but still possible. There's also the likelihood that if he's going full mercenary he won't want to weaken his chosen team and will refuse to identify them so they don't lose valuable pieces. It probably won't be about the money if he leaves.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Exit Dose

Krejci is just one example. If you needed an example, then perhaps that's what you should have asked for. I did not say anything close to what you thought I did.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:21 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Krejci is just one example. If you needed an example, then perhaps that's what you should have asked for. I did not say anything close to what you thought I did.
why would he agree to a sign and trade when he can just sign their in the off-season? why strip his new team of core pieces?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Quote:
You may not have meant what I said, but what you actually said can certainly be interpreted that way - that's a rather vague statement you made. I did ask for clarification, and you're playing word games for some odd reason rather than just clearly answering the questions I'm asking you.

Regardless, as I asked, why would it be assumed that he'd want to strip his new team of assets rather than do what Richards did and keep the new team intact?

Old
03-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
why would he agree to a sign and trade when he can just sign their in the off-season? why strip his new team of core pieces?
Money talks, that's why. Perry would be leaving a decent amount of money on the table to sign as a UFA, it's easily in his best interests to sign with the only team who can offer him 8 years. If he knows he isn't sticking around, it's in his best interests to try and make a trade happen now.

Just look at the NBA. Pure free agent signings don't happen that often, and never happen with high profile guys. It's all sign-and-trades. Even when Lebron left Cleveland, even though ownership felt quite betrayed and hated him for leaving, they still traded him so he could get more money out of the deal. It's a business, plain and simple.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Where did I say that we would be getting core pieces?

Old
03-10-2013, 01:03 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Money talks, that's why. Perry would be leaving a decent amount of money on the table to sign as a UFA, it's easily in his best interests to sign with the only team who can offer him 8 years. If he knows he isn't sticking around, it's in his best interests to try and make a trade happen now.

Just look at the NBA. Pure free agent signings don't happen that often, and never happen with high profile guys. It's all sign-and-trades. Even when Lebron left Cleveland, even though ownership felt quite betrayed and hated him for leaving, they still traded him so he could get more money out of the deal. It's a business, plain and simple.
i'm pretty sure but not positive that as long as we deal Perry before/at the deadline, that new team can offer him the max 8 year if they want.

Quote:
Where did I say that we would be getting core pieces?
well if we're trading a signed perry.. you're not gonna ask for core pieces? that seems kinda redundant then.. obvs a signed hart trophy winner will bring back at least a core piece to replace him..

Old
03-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Regardless, as I asked, why would it be assumed that he'd want to strip his new team of assets rather than do what Richards did and keep the new team intact?
It's not like the team he'd be going to is over a barrel. If team that wants him and he wants to do to doesn't care about getting an extra year, then a sign and trade means nothing. I don't think Perry gives a **** if his next team has one less prospect or depth player, or in some cases, sheds the salary necessary for him to actually sign there.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
well if we're trading a signed perry.. you're not gonna ask for core pieces? that seems kinda redundant then.. obvs a signed hart trophy winner will bring back at least a core piece to replace him..
This is a brand new era for the league. I have no idea what will be offered till it actually happens. The few instances that sign and trades happened in the last era didn't appear to change much from their expected return.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
i'm pretty sure but not positive that as long as we deal Perry before/at the deadline, that new team can offer him the max 8 year if they want.
Correct. But if we keep him, then he can only get 8 years from us. Hence the need for a sign-and-trade, which he'd agree to in a heartbeat if it means the better deal. I don't think players care that much about stripping their new team of assets.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:02 AM
LEAFSIN4

Jake Gardiner + Nikolai Kulemin + 1st Round pick for Perry?

good? bad? ugly?

Last edited by LEAFSIN4: 03-10-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old
03-10-2013, 03:31 AM
PhoenyX

Kulemin is useless and I'd prefer a young winger or centre coming back.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post

good? bad? ugly?
For a signed Perry or unsigned? For the latter it is a huge overpayment by the Leafs.

Anyway, I wouldn't listen to Toronto if they don't offer Kadri. I loved that kid since draft day and I was huge on trading Ryan for him and Schenn the last 2 years.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post

good? bad? ugly?
For a signed Perry there isn't enough quality, for an unsigned Perry it is too much. Any deal for a signed Perry would have to start with Kadri.

Closed Thread