Alexander Burmistrov

Old
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Aside from the last game of course. They seemed to produce quite well without him.
One game is not a trend and there is absolutely zero to suggest they wouldn't have been better with him in place of Olli or Mittens.

*shrug*

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 844
If you're Corsi-lover, maybe. Can you break down the Corsi for the last 5 or 6 games?

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Yes and some games the opposite happened... but on average...
We aren't so much concerned with the past and past results but rather with the present and the future. The most recent data suggests the team as it is currently constructed performed quite well in his absence.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
If you're Corsi-lover, maybe. Can you break down the Corsi for the last 5 or 6 games?
I like goals also. Only one Jet has been minus with Bumi and he has been out injured for a while.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

vCash: 149
Quote:
We aren't so much concerned with the past and past results but rather with the present and the future. The most recent data suggests they were just fine without him.
In engineering, my prof once said that "one measurement is no measurement"

It could be a total fluke, but there is no way to know. One game with him in the rafters, we played well. That's one data point. Totally meaningless when evaluating his worth.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
We aren't so much concerned with the past and past results but rather with the present and the future. The most recent data suggests the team as it is currently constructed performed quite well in his absence.
The most recent data also suggests Edmonton doesn't allow goals against and the CBJ are an awesome team.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Why so much focus on backward-looking data to spin a story here on this board? Stats guys are great at using backward data to tell us what we already know happened in the past... but I've yet to see any advanced hockey statisticians use that data to accurately model future results.

Meh.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

That is because hockey is a game of widely variable occurrences, is one not easily modeled.

Again, meh.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Why so much focus on backward-looking data to spin a story here on this board? Stats guys are great at using backward data to tell us what we already know happened in the past... but I've yet to see any advanced hockey statisticians use that data to accurately model future results.

Meh.
The predictive measures suggest the team is better with Burmi than without.

Also, looking at long run results isn't spin, over emphasizing a single data point because it fits a pre-determined narrative is.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:

Meh.
Like the Minnesota collaps last year? Or the Kings turnaround last year? Both of which ALL hockey statisticians predicted?

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

vCash: 149
Quote:

Meh.
I'll refer you to the Leafs @ Jets Pre-game talk

Regression!

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
That is because hockey is a game of widely variable occurrences, is one not easily modeled.

Again, meh.
Wildly variable in short run, but not that hard to model over a long run.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Well then you should have kept my whole quote because the comment on how Toronto is a weak team that tends to get out played even when their goalie wins it for them would have been relevant.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
The predictive measures suggest the team is better with Burmi than without.

Also, looking at long run results isn't spin, over emphasizing a single data point because it fits a pre-determined narrative is.
Jets are winning with Enstrom out of the line up, are we a better team without him?

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Well then you should have kept my whole quote because the comment on how Toronto is a weak team that tends to get out played even when their goalie wins it for them would have been relevant.
Anyone with a functioning set of eyeballs could see that Toronto often gets outplayed, simply by paying attention and watching the games.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Jets are winning with Enstrom out of the line up, are we a better team without him?
The goaltending and PK have been better. Team play has largely been the same or worse.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
The goaltending and PK have been better. Team play has largely been the same or worse.
... but our PP slowed down (until the last game I'd say) and the production from our D overall dropped hugely. We were first in the league and dropped to 6 AFAIK since Enström is out.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:

Meh.
Really? Looks like there is a tonne of spin on BOTH sides.

You know, if you wanted to look at it objectively.

03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Again, meh.
You should give another look...

While the future will never be precisely predicted, probabilities can be estimated. Also, the point is we were discussing the past anyways. The truth is that on average Burmistrov has played better than all of our middle 6 players other than Kane. If that isn't important, ok.

Even the NHL is getting more interested. The number of NHL executives going to things like the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics has gone up extremely (especially because a few years ago it was only Gillis from Van) and guys are getting hired/picked-up by the dozen to many teams.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:10 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Anyone with a functioning set of eyeballs could see that Toronto often gets outplayed, simply by paying attention and watching the games.
WTF???
Yes??? I know that. What does that have to do with anything I said? LOL

You know I watch the games to right?

EDIT:
My point was you can pick the last game without Burmistrov because it was a win and the players played well. I said it doesn't exactly definitively prove anything because everyone knows Toronto is a weaker team that gets regularly out played by everyone and anyone? How does your response actually respond to what I was saying.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Jets won a lot with Flood last season... but he wasn't worth the minimum to any team in the NHL.
meh

Old
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Except 16 Jets perform better and produce faster with Burmi than without him.
I guess we must assume because this is true at 21, he's likely to lose this ability and regress by the team he truly establishes what sort of player he is.

edit: whooaa didn't realise i was looking at an old version of the thread- playing catchup now.

Last edited by Grind: 03-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
WTF???
Yes??? I know that. What does that have to do with anything I said? LOL

You know I watch the games to right?

EDIT:
My point was you can pick the last game without Burmistrov because it was a win and the players played well. I said it doesn't exactly definitively prove anything because everyone knows Toronto is a weaker team that gets regularly out played by everyone and anyone? How does your response actually respond to what I was saying.
My point is that you often spin what is essentially bad and backward-looking data to explain your own personally biased viewpoint to what happened in the past. Hockey is a game of widely variable and random occurrences. The data you use isn't collected in a lab and subject to any sort of a rigid set of guidelines or within any specific parameters, it is essentially all subjective in nature, eyeball stuff. It is junk science.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Quote:
Both Antro and Wellwood can do things Burmi can't, in Burmi's defence I see no reason to play Mittens over Burmi.
Would have to agree with this! I like Burmi but he is frustrating to watch, the guy has great puck skills hits hard, good on the back check and PK, but when he has the puck it is like he is on an outdoor rink with a bunch of kids trying to play keep away.
Wish he would do something with the puck instead of all the dangling.

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
My point is that you often spin what is essentially bad and backward-looking data to explain your own personally biased viewpoint to what happened in the past. Hockey is a game of widely variable and random occurrences. The data you use isn't collected in a lab and subject to any sort of a rigid set of guidelines or within any specific parameters, it is essentially all subjective in nature, eyeball stuff. It is junk science.
to drop a quote some others have used against us when talking about what is and isn't within the hockey world "tell that to the GM's" the ones who are en mass spending more and more money on this Junk Science...

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote