HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What is the best junior season anyone has ever had?

Old
03-04-2013, 10:20 PM
nutbar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShowWilly View Post
Lol look at mario's teammates that year. Jacques Goyette with 170 points?

The team had 156 more goals than any other team in the QMJHL. Also went 0-3 in the memorial cup.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...014211984.html
lmao, who the hell is Jacques Goyette?

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I'd like to see league statistics from back then because it league scoring was incredibly high back then and not at all comparable to now.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
vadim sharifijanov

okay, obviously mario destroyed everyone in terms of scoring. but on the other hand, mario skipped the WJC so it wouldn't cut into his record setting numbers. plus, while his team easily won the Q that year, they also got swept 0-3 in the memorial cup.

so here's an unorthodox choice: corey perry. didn't set any records, but led the OHL in scoring, led the london knights to the most ridiculously successful season in major junior history, won all the OHL awards, anchored the third line of the greatest WJC team of all time and still scored 7 points in 6 games, swept all four games of the memorial cup on their home ice while winning MVP of that too. his teams barely lost all year (they lost 7 regular season OHL games, 1 OHL playoff game, 0 memorial cup games, 0 WJC games), and in championship games, perry beat malkin and ovechkin, then crosby.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:27 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

Pierre Larouche went 94-157-251 for Sorel in 73-74.

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:56 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
some one with brains who mentioned Lafleur your right on.He was named the greatest rw in junior history
That's absolutely hilarious, because he was a center in juniors.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Stars and Bolts

Surprised I beat everyone to Mike Bossy. Oddly enough of his 4 years in the QMJHL his 2nd season was the best.

67 GP 84-65-149

If you are curious, his last 2 seasons were...

64 GP 79-57-136
61 GP 75-51-126

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftTackle51 View Post
While Mario is unquestionably the best junior player I'm surprised there's been nothing on the big e so far.

57GP - 71G-78A-149Pts-189PIM
Plus that was in the OHL which was probably the best Junior league in Canada at the time.

Historically the Q has been a very easy place to score

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:23 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Lemieux & Lafontaine, as mentioned, obliterated that.
amd they did it in their draft year... not even close!

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:24 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever27 View Post
Based on that junior career, how the in the blue hell did Richards not go until the 3rd round of the draft?!?!?!?!??!!?!?
that was his last year of junior... he was a 1998 draft pick. in 1998 he had "only" 115 points.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:25 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftTackle51 View Post
While Mario is unquestionably the best junior player I'm surprised there's been nothing on the big e so far.

57GP - 71G-78A-149Pts-189PIM
not even 3 PPG... we're well beyond that in this thread!

Old
03-05-2013, 12:27 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Mario was unreal in junior. I remember watching highlights of Laval games, on an obscure French channel, and as a kid I quickly learned how to say every superlative in the French language.

And he looked like a man among boys both in Laval and in Pittsburgh.

Bossy deserves some mention, four years at Laval, 309 goals (70, 84, 79, 75) in just 259 games. He continued that consistency in all his NHL games.
barely 2 PPG, though, and he got to play junior until he was 20.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:28 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
NOTE: Mario played only three seasons in the Q until he turned pro at 18, which is astounding.
Lemieux was a very early birthday for his draft year. He never played as an 18-year old in the NHL.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:30 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
okay, obviously mario destroyed everyone in terms of scoring. but on the other hand, mario skipped the WJC so it wouldn't cut into his record setting numbers. plus, while his team easily won the Q that year, they also got swept 0-3 in the memorial cup.

so here's an unorthodox choice: corey perry. didn't set any records, but led the OHL in scoring, led the london knights to the most ridiculously successful season in major junior history, won all the OHL awards, anchored the third line of the greatest WJC team of all time and still scored 7 points in 6 games, swept all four games of the memorial cup on their home ice while winning MVP of that too. his teams barely lost all year (they lost 7 regular season OHL games, 1 OHL playoff game, 0 memorial cup games, 0 WJC games), and in championship games, perry beat malkin and ovechkin, then crosby.
he was in his last year of junior eligibility. Can you imagine what a generational talent like Lemieux or Crosby, or even a true junior scoring whiz like Lindros, Ferraro, Lafleur, Bossy, Lafontaine, Tavares or Brown could have done at that age?

Old
03-05-2013, 04:02 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
I suspect the numbers are not goint to be that impressive as the system in Europe is different and young players who are performing well above their age level get called up to the senior squads.

I may be wrong but as far as I know, the best U20 player's season in the history of the Czech/Czechoslovak men's top league was Robert Reichel's campaign in 1989/90 (44gp 43+28 = 71).

Žigmund Pálffy had tremendous play-offs as a 19 years old in 1992 (13 gp 18+8 = 26).
You beat me with this example

IMO the performance of Robert Reichel is spectacular. 43 goals in a senior league, that time considered maybe the 3. best in the world, is something special.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:55 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Bolts View Post
Surprised I beat everyone to Mike Bossy. Oddly enough of his 4 years in the QMJHL his 2nd season was the best.

67 GP 84-65-149

If you are curious, his last 2 seasons were...

64 GP 79-57-136
61 GP 75-51-126
Tavares second season was his best as well. His 2nd season is definitely the best season by a 16 year old I ever seen.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:36 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
he was in his last year of junior eligibility. Can you imagine what a generational talent like Lemieux or Crosby, or even a true junior scoring whiz like Lindros, Ferraro, Lafleur, Bossy, Lafontaine, Tavares or Brown could have done at that age?
yeah, i get that. the point wasn't to say that 19 year old corey perry was a better player than 19 year (or even 17 year old) mario or tavares. it was to say he managed to put together a season whose overwhelming success we might consider a better junior season than those guys were able to do.

i mean, the guy lost 8 games all year (+ 2 ties). he won all the championships and all the individual trophies. he faced malkin and ovechkin, then crosby in championships and he came out ahead both times. looking back at the end of the year, i'm not sure any junior player could ask for a better year than that.

EDIT: and actually, thinking about 17 year old mario, the fact that his priorities were to pad his record setting numbers, publicly saying no to team canada for the WJC and then coming up small in the memorial cup (1g, 2a in 3 games when he had averaged 4 points/game in the regular season and almost 4 points/game during the QMJHL playoffs) shows the two different definitions of best. young mario had one set of priorities, perry had another.

Last edited by vadim sharifijanov: 03-05-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
yeah, i get that. the point wasn't to say that 19 year old corey perry was a better player than 19 year (or even 17 year old) mario or tavares. it was to say he managed to put together a season whose overwhelming success we might consider a better junior season than those guys were able to do.

i mean, the guy lost 8 games all year (+ 2 ties). he won all the championships and all the individual trophies. he faced malkin and ovechkin, then crosby in championships and he came out ahead both times. looking back at the end of the year, i'm not sure any junior player could ask for a better year than that.

EDIT: and actually, thinking about 17 year old mario, the fact that his priorities were to pad his record setting numbers, publicly saying no to team canada for the WJC and then coming up small in the memorial cup (1g, 2a in 3 games when he had averaged 4 points/game in the regular season and almost 4 points/game during the QMJHL playoffs) shows the two different definitions of best. young mario had one set of priorities, perry had another.
In defence of Lemieux refusing the WJC, the tournament wasn't exactly a big deal at the time. It would only have been like the third year they sent a national team, and it was not a highlight in Canada like it is now. I certainly don't blame Lemieux skipping out on a tournament in Sweden in order to play games that counted for his future. After all he did go to the 1983 WJC and said it was a waste of time and he would have preferred to stay home for Christmas.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:36 AM
nerdman60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Obviously Lemieux's stat line is incredible and that's what got me to thinking. I don't get to watch a lot of junior games so just wondering what would be some close competition to that season.

1983–84 Laval Voisins in the Q.

GP:70
Goals:133
Assists:149
That is just beyond insane...he just DOMINATED. I never watched any of his junior games but based on the numbers alone it was like men against toddlers.

nerdman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever27 View Post
Based on that junior career, how the in the blue hell did Richards not go until the 3rd round of the draft?!?!?!?!??!!?!?
I can't believe that either. He went 64th overall in 1998. Lecavalier I believe was said to have encouraged the Lightning to take him. Richards had about as many points as Lecavalier did that year and was his teammate. It was a little bit of a MacKinnon/Drouin thing a la 2013 where the player on the same team is at least equalling the #1 favourite points wise. However, for whatever reason the scouts are smarter this year while in 1998 I think they assumed Richards sort of benefitted from Lecavalier. There was also this weird stigma in the NHL that a player couldn't be 5'11" or 6'0" and make it in the NHL.

Anyway, my pick for best junior career season is Lemieux in 1984. That is just insane. 4 points a game and this was his average. A 5 point game is more or less another day at the office for Mario.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I can't believe that either. He went 64th overall in 1998. Lecavalier I believe was said to have encouraged the Lightning to take him. Richards had about as many points as Lecavalier did that year and was his teammate. It was a little bit of a MacKinnon/Drouin thing a la 2013 where the player on the same team is at least equalling the #1 favourite points wise. However, for whatever reason the scouts are smarter this year while in 1998 I think they assumed Richards sort of benefitted from Lecavalier. There was also this weird stigma in the NHL that a player couldn't be 5'11" or 6'0" and make it in the NHL.

Anyway, my pick for best junior career season is Lemieux in 1984. That is just insane. 4 points a game and this was his average. A 5 point game is more or less another day at the office for Mario.
there was also falloon and whitney in '91. whitney blew him away points wise and led the WHL, but fell to the second round due to size. if the sharks don't take whitney because they already had falloon and wanted to capitalize on their chemistry, who knows how far into the draft he falls.