HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM/TOR] Mike Brown for a 4th rounder in 2014

Old
03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
4th round pick is steep. Could have picked up Sestito or Volpatti for free this week. But he should really help the Oilers lineup with thier toughness issues.
They put in a claim for Volpatti, but Washington had priority over Edmonton. Not sure about Sestito, but I like Brown, so I'm happy with giving up a low pick for him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
TieClark

Guy has serious wheels, hits hard, great middleweight fighter, blocks shots, team player... ideal 4th liner. EDM will love him

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Anth93

Why Brown isn't your average 4th line goon. The guy can skate and has hands.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Good trade for both teams.
Brown plays bigger then his size. Loved him in Toronto. A true character player. He is a very good skater, fights guys bigger then him self and do a good job on most middleweights. He does not have much in terms of other skills except for fighting. He can do a decent job on the PK. He will look good flying on Edmontons fast ice.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
A few funny tweets about this trade:

Quote:
@jessespector:
Do the Oilers know that waivers exist? Do they know that players like Mike Brown are available for free, like, every other day?
Quote:
@jessespector:
Kudos for the Leafs for not putting "LOL" in the Mike Brown trade press release.
Quote:
@Proteautype:
Interesting: Jay Feaster just offer-sheeted the conditional 4th round pick the Leafs got in the Mike Brown trade

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

why did they have to trade Brown? why couldn't they waive Steckel

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
You guys will like him, he's a real fan favorite type guy. Always puts out a good effort. A lot faster than most 4th liners.

We just didn't have room for him to play consistently. Good luck Brownie!

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Players are on waivers everyday. But not character guys like Mike Brown. Guy will probably be the fastest and hardest working player on the ice every night. The guy plays for his teammates, multiple injuries for blocking shots and sacrificing himself.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Wheatking

I don't know why people keep bringing up waivers. The Oilers need a guy like Brown so giving up the pick was worth it. They tried to get Volpatti on waivers but that didn't work out. This guarantees they get the player.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
when you consider LA got a 5th rounder for Loktionov
we got a good return
My thoughts exactly.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
why did they have to trade Brown? why couldn't they waive Steckel
Why would they? Randy knows what he can get out of Steckel if he plays him.. Hence the last 20 games last year. Perfect depth for the press box.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Yes, but why stop there? Maybe he should be tarred and feathered for giving up a "top 120" pick or would that be going too far?
Why not? It's a waste of an asset on a guy like Brown. Better players have cleared waivers in the past few weeks.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Why Brown isn't your average 4th line goon. The guy can skate and has hands.
I remember watching this game online

couldn't believe my eyes

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
darty

I'm going to miss Brown on the Leafs. He was a fan favourite and you could never question his commitment to the team. Best of luck to him in Edmonton!

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post

Spector is a tool if he's making those assumptions about Brown. He will become a fan favorite in Edmonton within a week.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Ari91

Would have never thought that Mike Brown could fetch us a 4th round draft pick, especially with his injury woes as of late. When healthy, I think he'll be a solid edition in Edmonton. Brown is the kind of player that gives it 100% every shift. No matter how poorly the team does, Brown is the one of the guys that you never question his work ethic and committment to every shift he gets. Great skating, he hits and he's never afraid to fight. He's small in stature but plays much bigger than his size.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

I'm disappointed. He's got speed, forechecks hard, can fight, and has the best stache in the league. I love the guy.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Stats01

Good move from both teams. Edmonton really needed someone like Brown, and the Leafs getting a 4th for him is very solid. Gonna miss Brown! thats for sure

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Beer League King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post

Talk about overvaluing a 4th round pick. If the Leafs draft a superstar with that pick, then I'll eat my shoe.

Beer League King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Good for Nonis considering it's pretty much a late 3rd.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer League King View Post
Talk about overvaluing a 4th round pick. If the Leafs draft a superstar with that pick, then I'll eat my shoe.
I'm a Leaf fan and even I'll say if the 4th rounder turns into an NHLer period, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I found none of those tweets funny.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Roboholic

This is exactly what the Oilers need to do.

The 4th is nothing to Edmonton, last time I checked they were a fairly youthful team.

As a Leaf fan I hate to see him go but we needed the space.

Good trade

Roboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Decent fourth liner who can provide energy and some grit. He is got good work ethic but he was redundant on the Leafs. Even Orr and Maclaren have played much better than him. This is a zero loss for the Leafs.

Getting a 4th is an excellent trade for us. Kind of reminds me of how we got Steckel for a 4th last year.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Why not? It's a waste of an asset on a guy like Brown. Better players have cleared waivers in the past few weeks.
You're really going out of your way to be over the top on this one. The Oilers needed a player today more than they needed a chance to land a player like Brown down the road if they had kept their "top 100" pick. It's not the greatest trade in the world, but it's incredibly likely that it's not going to be detrimental to the team. Calm down a little, I'm sure there are more important things for you to act indignant about. If not, I'd say life is pretty good then.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

brown is character and can skate a quality nhl 4th line shift. he wont intimidate anyone with his fighting but very very very little benefit comes from a 4th liner that intimidates people with their fighting. guys like bougard and worrell and laraque and brashear tend to play their entire careers with non-playoff teams cause their intimidating ability doesnt translate into wins for their club and these type of guys cant play a regular shift for a winning team.

imho brown could play on a winning team. he will dance with intimidating goons if someone needs to dance with them. that is all that is required for a 4th line 'fighter.' winning decisive fights against another team's goon is not necessary at all. just be willing to show up and be able to avoid getting hurt.

a 3rd/4th round pick will only develop into a useful nhl 4th liner around 1/6 times if that. go back over past drafts and you never find more then 5 players in any draft that you would take over mike brown for their career. of course once in a while you might get a star player in the 3rd round but no one can count on that. its like counting on winning the lottery with your 1000 dollars instead of spending it on your rent this month. rent is useful since it gives you a place to live... 1000 dollars of lottery tickets is probably just garbage.

3rd round picks are usually just garbage but mike brown is an imediate upgrade over the other options that edmonton has been rolling out on their fourth line for the past few years.

now edmonton needs a couple more deals like this cause he is the only nhl quality 4th liner they have so far.

my bruins went out and rebuilt our 4th line a couple years ago. when campbell was picked up and paille was picked up, very few of us thought it would make any difference. but our fourth line has won us games over the last couple years. having high quality fourth liners can give you 3-4 wins a year that you otherwise wouldnt have managed... and 3-4 wins a year can get a bubble team into the playoffs.

good move for Edmonton... and props to toronto for making their own moves that made brown expendable. toronto has put together very impressive depth for their 4th line too.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote