HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/TOR] Mike Brown for EDM 4th '14 (3rd if EDM Reaches Playoffs)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Did you watch any games? Hordichuk never took a regular shift because he was too slow to make it to any player while they still had the puck.

People crying over poor asset management, gtfo...the Oilers are trying to get meaner and the bottom 6 is a place to start. The 4th rounder in 2014 has about a 7% chance of playing in the NHL (historically). Brown may not make a huge difference but a guy who knows his role will be very valuable to this team, could easily be a fan favorite sooner than later.
If he has a first shift like the first shift he had in Vancouver you will be like "who the hell is that out there" He rips around like a lunatic.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
wow, what a great pick up. actually surprised here. this dude goes to bat and can grind.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
no, this team is losing because of a lack of PASSION...at least Mike Brown bring that

he'll run a guy, fight, stir crap up

can anyone else do this on the team?
Passion isn't the problem. Our top 6 struggles to maintain possession of the puck or take possession from other teams who are stronger than us along the boards. Which is pretty much everybody.

There's a reason we get thumped by San Jose, Minnesota, etc continuously. We never win the 1 on 1 battles. I can't say whether Mike Brown will or will not help our 4th line, but it's pretty much irrelevant either way. Our 4th line has very little to do with our position in the standings right now.

Old
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Its all about expectations. If people are hoping this solves any issues then are hoping for too much.

Brown will likely add another body who can hit and scrap. Thats it. He wont make this bunch of pansies not pansies, he wont solve the imbalance throughout the roster nor will he have a hand in resulting in wins.

He will make us a little bit harder to play against and have another willing scrapper. Not a bad addition.

The only thing i hope is that Tambo is committed to continuing to fix this team and this isnt his last move. No half measures Tambo.
I see you used the word "another". That's why this is a good trade. We don't have another player that brings what Brown does. Eager doesn't fight anymore and I don't want him to fight anymore. It's too dangerous. Peckham is in the same situation. He has no confidence in his ability to take a punch after the Horton fight. Fistric hits but he doesn't fight. The Oilers have had 4 fights all season. Brown has 6 on his own.

I agree that Brown doesn't turn us into a playoff team or even win us any games...but he is a guy that will go out there and at least attempt to shift the momentum. Whether it be with a hit or a fight. And as sad as this sounds. He's the ONLY player on the team that will do it.

Brown might not stop a guy like Carcillo from running around but he will hold him accountable. He's also the type of player that will play a game that will make Carcillo come looking for him.

Old
alexo

I did a small amount of digging.. seems to suit our needs. I knew he was an enforcer, but didn't know much outside that. Seems he gets some PK minutes (not a tonne, but around a minute per game on average each season). For a hired goon, that is good. You will never see MacIntyre or even Ben Eager PK... so it speaks to his ability to play a shift without getting burned. Offense is a complete null, unfortunately though. I'd say they improved things by picking him up, but need to start dropping some of the dead weight in this bottom six like Ben Eager.

Figured there must be another link somewhere.. thsi will get deleted/closed.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
no, this team is losing because of a lack of PASSION...at least Mike Brown bring that

he'll run a guy, fight, stir crap up

can anyone else do this on the team?
Sam Gagner.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Stoneman89

Next move...Hemsky for Clarkson.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
BertCorbeau

One of the best 'staches in the league .. You're going to like the energy he brings and he can scrap:

Old
03-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Crimson King

as im sure all leafs fans posting here are saying:

you guys are gonna love the brown beaut. if not for his moustache alone. the guy gives it his all. everyshift.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I see you used the word "another". That's why this is a good trade. We don't have another player that brings what Brown does. Eager doesn't fight anymore and I don't want him to fight anymore. It's too dangerous. Peckham is in the same situation. He has no confidence in his ability to take a punch after the Horton fight. Fistric hits but he doesn't fight. The Oilers have had 4 fights all season. Brown has 6 on his own.

I agree that Brown doesn't turn us into a playoff team or even win us any games...but he is a guy that will go out there and at least attempt to shift the momentum. Whether it be with a hit or a fight. And as sad as this sounds. He's the ONLY player on the team that will do it.
How many bit players with one role can we have on a club?

We just got rid of one.

Mike Brown has an injured shoulder is my understanding. We have Peckham with chronic injuries who's a tough who can;'t fight anymore, Eager another, now we have the trifecta of M*A*S*H smashers?

I don't get it. This is the answer to what meaningful question.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
CardMonkey83*

So who comes out then? Eager, Maggie, Petrell? I agree we need size, but we size that can play. I don't know about this one..

Old
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
alexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Passion isn't the problem. Our top 6 struggles to maintain possession of the puck or take possession from other teams who are stronger than us along the boards. Which is pretty much everybody.

There's a reason we get thumped by San Jose, Minnesota, etc continuously. We never win the 1 on 1 battles. I can't say whether Mike Brown will or will not help our 4th line, but it's pretty much irrelevant either way. Our 4th line has very little to do with our position in the standings right now.

I partly disagree. I think when you look at point production on this team, you'll see it's heavily stacked to our top six with the exception of the struggling Nuge. Hall and Gagner are putting up quite good numbers... Eberle is decent.. Hemsky a little less so.. Yakupov a little less so.. after that, we are an offensive wasteland. I think this team needs more scoring production from the bottom six too. There are going to be games where talent won't put the puck in the net, and you'll need guys in the bottom six that can do that.

That said, Mike Brown is not the guy for that. I'm glad though that they got a scrapper though that can play... wish they'd replace Ben Eager, Chris Vande Velde, and any other one-dimensional guys that can't generate offense. Mike Brown can at least do a little PKing, so he isn't just a one trick pony at least. But you're not going to find a player easily that can fight, check, score goals, PK, etc... you won't find a guy that can address everything without giving up a crap load. Mike Brown is a step forward on Ben Eager.. now they need to jettison Ben Eager and continue to pick apart the bottom six.

Plus mustaches demand respect...

Old
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Next move...Hemsky for Clarkson.
More like Hemsky + Klefbom for Clarkson...and then we have to hand out 6M+ just to keep him in the summer. I really think the bidding war is going to get out of hand with Clarkson when he becomes a UFA.

I'd rather go Hemsky+ for Clowe. Then give Clowe 4.5M in the summer.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

4th line meh move.

Not the type of player that impacts games, and doesn't even begin to touch on the Oiler's major issues - not even their toughness issues which has more to do with the legion of soft wingers in the top 9 the team is clinging to.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Pennertration

This thread summed up in 5 seconds: Oilers need to make a move ... not THAT move!

Old
03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Normally on these boards when a trade like this happens , the team fans that moved him would be listing all his inabilities , Leaf fans are are touting him as a great team player , allways hustles , will fight anyone , fast skater. I think Oil fans in here should take notes and realize their fans liked him ,which means he is a gamer.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
This thread summed up in 5 seconds: Oilers need to make a move ... not THAT move!
Pretty much.

I'm a Tambo critic, but the guy cant see to win.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:15 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post

really? explain to me why they come out flat in waaaay too many games

explain to me why everyone was happy to see Hall run Cluster****...cause he plays with passion

Old
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
missinthejets

This really is a nothing move. They have too many wingers to start with, and too many defencemen that you don't want in the lineup, need to clear some of the redundant bodies out so that this team can move forward. Swapping players in and out on the 4th line won't change the way the team is playing, it's not that it's a bad trade, it's just that it's not the kind of trade that this team needs. It's good that they're willing to do something, but you gotta do the right somethings if you want this team to get better.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
This teams needs a top 4 dman and Tambo trades for a 4th line grinder! It seems weird considering how well Eager and Petrell have played this year. Typical Tambo.

Old
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Quote:
really? explain to me why they come out flat in waaaay too many games

explain to me why everyone was happy to see Hall run Cluster****...cause he plays with passion
It's easy to call it coming out flat... I'd say they're just getting outplayed by better, stronger teams with far more NHL experience. We need to get rid of this losing culture fast.

Old
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
How many bit players with one role can we have on a club?

We just got rid of one.

Mike Brown has an injured shoulder is my understanding. We have Peckham with chronic injuries who's a tough who can;'t fight anymore, Eager another, now we have the trifecta of M*A*S*H smashers?

I don't get it. This is the answer to what meaningful question.
It's a good point but the way I see it is yes, Eager and Peckham are in similar situations but that doesn't mean you pass up on Brown. You trade for Brown and consider your options with Eager and Peckham.

Brown has a shoulder injury. Eager is one punch away from eating out of a straw. Brown will return and be able to play his game.

...and in the end we're talking about 4th liners here. It's not like we're moving bringing in Tim Connolly to replace Hemsky on the second line.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
4. This team isn't losing games because the 4th line isn't good enough.
5. Lack of grit from our 3/4 RWs isn't a problem. Jones and Petrell are both gritty players so in order to add Brown's "grit" into the lineup, you have to take out an equally gritty player who is better in all other areas of the game.

The only benefit I see to making this move is to send a message to the players. I'm not sure what that message is yet.
a) Ryan Smyth can be eliminated/waived (they wont do it but hopefully he gets scratched). he is a dog out there. he cannot keep up with the game anymore.
b) this is a guy teams will have to answer to in terms of fighting. Jones is not even close to this guys grit. also, neither of them will fight, disrupt, cause chaos, hit with violence, intimidate.
c) Brown has played on both wings in his career.
d) any time you can re-configure your team to make it a little better, its not a bad move.
e) a 4th round pick in the NHL is a literal 8% crap shoot based on Gregor's analysis... from 1996-2005.

Quote:
FOURTH ROUND (315 picks)

27 became decent players. (8.6%)
288 were short lived or busts. (91.4%)

of course its not a mind blowing move, but it adds some violence this team of wimps needs.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
More like Hemsky + Klefbom for Clarkson...and then we have to hand out 6M+ just to keep him in the summer. I really think the bidding war is going to get out of hand with Clarkson when he becomes a UFA.

I'd rather go Hemsky+ for Clowe. Then give Clowe 4.5M in the summer.
Paying that much for Clowe not only in a trade but salarywise could be a big mistake.
San Jose fans have been sick of him for 2 seasons now, it seems that he doesn't have much left in the tank and is more of a liability at this point than a help. Not surprising considering the style that he plays.
We needed the Clowe of 2-3 seasons ago, not the current version.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayBerle HopKov View Post
So who comes out then? Eager, Maggie, Petrell? I agree we need size, but we size that can play. I don't know about this one..
I'd pull Smyth out

Paajarvi/Smyth--Belanger--Jones
Eager--VV--Brown/Petrell

When Harti returns he goes to OKC, when Horcoff returns, VV to OKC

Paajarvi/Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Brown/Petrell

Closed Thread