HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coffee with Coach this am

Old
03-06-2013, 08:35 AM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Coffee with Coach this am

No neck was on his normal weekly interview this morning on 102.5 the game locally here in Nashville. I heard some interesting things this morning and I thought I would throw it out for thoughts. I find it very neat that they take questions from fans and are not the typical cupcake questions asked by show hosts..

-He was asked basically what the two waiver pick ups bring to the organization? He answered with the "Predators scouts" have identified them as high energy guys who like to shoot the puck and have offensive skills. His comments and further chatter leave me to believe that the staff believes these two guys are going to be a possible answer to the lack of offense the Predators desperately need. He said both guys have shown they can get the job done in the minors and that the staff hopes in a new system and environment they can get it done at an NHL level.

-He was asked when Poile and owners are going to spend to the cap and bring in top forwards to give Trotz some offensive players to work with? He said that in the past couple of years they have had talks with several players who said they like Nashville and would be interested if they knew Weber/Peks/Suter were going to stay. Trotz said they had to tell them they did not know because the three would not commit to the Predators and they were not sure. Trotz said he believes this turned players off they were in on because of this unknown. He said now that two of the three are signed and a foundation is set long term that hopefully that will not be an issue going further.

He was asked which one of the young players does he think will grow into the go to guy on the Predators? I found it very interesting that Ellis, Smith, Borkie, and Josi were mentioned and elaborated on by Trotz but no mention of Blum at all.. ??...

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:42 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
No neck was on his normal weekly interview this morning on 102.5 the game locally here in Nashville. I heard some interesting things this morning and I thought I would throw it out for thoughts. I find it very neat that they take questions from fans and are not the typical cupcake questions asked by show hosts..

-He was asked basically what the two waiver pick ups bring to the organization? He answered with the "Predators scouts" have identified them as high energy guys who like to shoot the puck and have offensive skills. His comments and further chatter leave me to believe that the staff believes these two guys are going to be a possible answer to the lack of offense the Predators desperately need. He said both guys have shown they can get the job done in the minors and that the staff hopes in a new system and environment they can get it done at an NHL level.

-He was asked when Poile and owners are going to spend to the cap and bring in top forwards to give Trotz some offensive players to work with? He said that in the past couple of years they have had talks with several players who said they like Nashville and would be interested if they knew Weber/Peks/Suter were going to stay. Trotz said they had to tell them they did not know because the three would not commit to the Predators and they were not sure. Trotz said he believes this turned players off they were in on because of this unknown. He said now that two of the three are signed and a foundation is set long term that hopefully that will not be an issue going further.

He was asked which one of the young players does he think will grow into the go to guy on the Predators? I found it very interesting that Ellis, Smith, Borkie, and Josi were mentioned and elaborated on by Trotz but no mention of Blum at all.. ??...

all good stuff and the explanation about UFAs does make sense... we will have to see what happens this summer to know if thats all bullspit

and Blum... no way does trotz praise him yet... he's already shown a tendency to rest on his laurels...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:49 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

He was also asked what we've all been asking about how come the "hot" young guns aren't manning the power play but the vets who aren't doing anything are. He kept saying it's about who the coach trusts and is comfortable with. Thankfully he went on to say that he will definitely be mixing the power play units up. I wish his segment was an hour long and we could all ask questions every week. I usually get my question asked on the air and it's pretty cool having Trotz answer it.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:51 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

He was specifically asked why the team wasn't spending to the cap after promises from ownership to do so, and he said, 'well, when you look at actual dollars, with Weber's 14 million, we're definitely in the top third and close to the cap'

So that confirms something that's been speculated for a while now, that paying out Weber's bonus may be what's keeping the team from being an actual "cap" team.

What sucks about that is that he's owed 13M more this summer, so next year is probably the same situation.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:52 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
He was also asked what we've all been asking about how come the "hot" young guns aren't manning the power play but the vets who aren't doing anything are. He kept saying it's about who the coach trusts and is comfortable with. Thankfully he went on to say that he will definitely be mixing the power play units up. I wish his segment was an hour long and we could all ask questions every week. I usually get my question asked on the air and it's pretty cool having Trotz answer it.
That was my question

He didn't answer it to my satisfaction, in fact, I really didn't like that "the guys I trust" answer at all, because it's basically what we've all been screaming about. He said Craig Smith doesn't get more PP time because he's "inconsistent."

WHAT ARE LEGWAND, ERAT, KOSTITSYN, and FISHER?

Old
03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Also interesting about why some higher ranked free agents said about worrying if we could keep our big 3. If that is really true, maybe now with Pekka and Weber locked up, we can really start trying to reel some bigger fish here. *hopeful*

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He was specifically asked why the team wasn't spending to the cap after promises from ownership to do so, and he said, 'well, when you look at actual dollars, with Weber's 14 million, we're definitely in the top third and close to the cap'

So that confirms something that's been speculated for a while now, that paying out Weber's bonus may be what's keeping the team from being an actual "cap" team.

What sucks about that is that he's owed 13M more this summer, so next year is probably the same situation.
time for a quick rebuild ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Also interesting about why some higher ranked free agents said about worrying if we could keep our big 3. If that is really true, maybe now with Pekka and Weber locked up, we can really start trying to reel some bigger fish here. *hopeful*
Like mentioned before, Weber's huge chunk of change may be a real detriment in bringing a top UFA to this team after the season. If someone like Perry wants a sizable signing bonus will ownership have enough actual cash on-hand to do it?

Guess we will find out.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
That was my question <snip>
He said Craig Smith doesn't get more PP time because he's "inconsistent."

I think you are thinking about "consistent" a bit differently than Trotz. The vets know what actions to take and can be generally relied upon to do it, irrespective of "success" or "result". Multiple seasons of "proving" that. Whereas, Smith - it's not week-to-week with him but game-to-game; he's not yet proved he's got the discipline to do the right thing.

That said, this year it's not just the scoring of the vets that's down, but their reliability to do the right thing - for sure with Fisher and Leggy, less with SK and Marty. If we're talking PP - Fish has killed 3 (I think) this year taking incredibly dumb penalties, on top of being a step slow to the right place too often. Leggy - just seems his head isn't in the right place, and I wonder if some of it was the pressure and responsibilities around being player rep during the lockout - cause while we've seen him "take a vacation" for a few games before, we've never seen him take whole weeks off.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:

You would think Weber was smart enough to know this, so leads to speculation: (1) did he really want out and sign the deal that he thought would get him there? (2) did he not care that we'd suck for a season or two, knowing he and Peks would be here, there were a few kids coming up, and now we'd be a destination vets would be more willing to come too? (3) or is he not as smart as we gave him credit for and he just relied upon his agent to get him max dollars and didn't really think about the "how" and it's impact?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post

No mention of Wilson as a go to guy? I find that both interesting and disturbing
( maybe does not consider him young )

Last edited by Fortheloveofthegame: 03-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:29 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
No mention of Wilson as a go to guy? I find that both interesting and disturbing
( maybe does not consider him young )
not to me... Wilson, like Blum, has repeatedly shown a tendency to only progress when he has a boot applied to his hindparts... is too soon to be praising him... if he keeps playing well all year, and brings it again next year, then he will be "the go to guy"

Old
03-06-2013, 09:42 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
You would think Weber was smart enough to know this, so leads to speculation: (1) did he really want out and sign the deal that he thought would get him there? (2) did he not care that we'd suck for a season or two, knowing he and Peks would be here, there were a few kids coming up, and now we'd be a destination vets would be more willing to come too? (3) or is he not as smart as we gave him credit for and he just relied upon his agent to get him max dollars and didn't really think about the "how" and it's impact?
I don't think Weber "wanted out," but I also dont think he thought we would be able to match that monster offer.

I was in the camp that was okay with trading Weber (or, the picks from the OS back to Philly, in exchange for not matching) if the deal was right, and it sounds like Poile asked for the moon, but Homer wouldn't go for it.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
I don't think Weber "wanted out," but I also dont think he thought we would be able to match that monster offer.

I was in the camp that was okay with trading Weber (or, the picks from the OS back to Philly, in exchange for not matching) if the deal was right, and it sounds like Poile asked for the moon, but Homer wouldn't go for it.
I think Poile asked for the Cooter and that was the stumbling block for Homer... I dont think thats asking for the moon, I think that was a reasonable price for a player of Webers caliber, but Holmgren tried to have his cake and eat it too and gambled and thought we couldnt match and lost out

Old
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:

I agree with the first part, not the second. I don't think he wanted out, but saw the cba writing on the wall and wanted to get his money, for which I don't blame him. As one of the faces of the NHLPA, it isn't like he could take a sweetheart deal and risk losing someof it.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:05 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:

To me, that's not that bad. We're already half-way through this lousy season. Let's start the rebuild now. Promote our young guys, stockpile picks, pay Weber his fat bonus this summer, give our young guys experience next year and expect to miss the playoffs..........then next summer we won't have to pay Weber anymore bonus money and his contract becomes managable, and we can start filling holes again through free agency, and our younger players will have over a full season at the helm.

It's really not that long of a rebuild.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:12 AM
PFL615

[QUOTE=redwhiteandblue;61090523]No mention of Wilson as a go to guy? I find that both interesting and disturbing
( maybe does not consider him young )[/QUOTE

Yeah I think Wilson is past the young guy label and that's why he wasn't mentioned.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:15 AM
PFL615

Quote:
That was my question

He didn't answer it to my satisfaction, in fact, I really didn't like that "the guys I trust" answer at all, because it's basically what we've all been screaming about. He said Craig Smith doesn't get more PP time because he's "inconsistent."

He also said Borkie was not getting much PP time because he was already on the pk and 5 man and that he tries to limit him to 15 min a game because he runs out of gas if he gets any more time than that.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:20 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think Poile asked for the Cooter and that was the stumbling block for Homer... I dont think thats asking for the moon, I think that was a reasonable price for a player of Webers caliber, but Holmgren tried to have his cake and eat it too and gambled and thought we couldnt match and lost out
Sam Carchidi said Poile wanted Couturier, Schenn, Meszaros and Read, as well as one of the four firsts.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:22 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Sam Carchidi said Poile wanted Couturier, Schenn, Meszaros and Read, as well as one of the four firsts.
OK, that is the moon....

Old
03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
To me, that's not that bad. We're already half-way through this lousy season. Let's start the rebuild now. Promote our young guys, stockpile picks, pay Weber his fat bonus this summer, give our young guys experience next year and expect to miss the playoffs..........then next summer we won't have to pay Weber anymore bonus money and his contract becomes managable, and we can start filling holes again through free agency, and our younger players will have over a full season at the helm.

It's really not that long of a rebuild.
Unfortunately Weber gets the 14 million each of the first 4 years of the deal, and then it only drops to 9 mil per for the ensuing 6 years

Old
03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
That was my question

Consistently bad.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Jarnberg

If it is Weber's bonus holding us back from signing players, don't blame him. Blame Poile for letting that situation get to that point.

As for Weber wanting out, of course he did. He signed a deal that had a very, very low chance of Nashville matching. After the match, Weber's agent said they were shocked Nashville matched.

Quote:
His comments and further chatter leave me to believe that the staff believes these two guys are going to be a possible answer to the lack of offense the Predators desperately need.
Hopefully those two waivers wire bargins will turn into gold; they haven't yet in the NHL.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
If it is Weber's bonus holding us back from signing players, don't blame him. Blame Poile for letting that situation get to that point.
While I'm happy to blame Poile for a lot of things, I'm not sure you can lay that blame at his feet. We all make the assumption that if he'd just make a big enough offer, Weber would sign.

However, I'm sure Weber's agent advised him not to sign any deal until the last minute. He holds all the cards in that situation.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
While I'm happy to blame Poile for a lot of things, I'm not sure you can lay that blame at his feet. We all make the assumption that if he'd just make a big enough offer, Weber would sign.

However, I'm sure Weber's agent advised him not to sign any deal until the last minute. He holds all the cards in that situation.
Then you trade him when you can. Poile waited to trade him until it was too late and Philly bent us over.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote