HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Calgary and Pittsburgh

Old
03-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Honour Over Glory

vCash: 500
If Shero gives up the same package he gave up for Hossa without the 1st being a conditional 1st, conditional on making the finals or re-signing Iginla, it's going to be a moronic trade and might be Shero's version of the Stojanov/Naslund trade, not for talent, but lopsided in the end.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:50 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Kennedy is useless and Jeffrey is nothing special, but Pouliot is highly rated prospect and the 1st is in a deep draft.

As for the OP, I'm curious as to what Glencross (by himself) would cost.
Kennedy is one of the best player in the league...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1355521

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:28 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I know my research buddy. My problems with the Penguins are deep rooted for many years, but that discussion is not for this topic. But I will say it has nothing to do with Cooke or anything they you assumed I was talking about.

If you seriously think Maatta (who the Flames could have drafted twice and didn't), a conditional 1st and 25 year old borderline NHLer in Jeffrey would even get consideration in a potential Iginla trade you need to think again. That's not much, if any better than the return Dustin Penner and Mike Fisher returned.
I don't see how that's farfetched. If the Flames are out of the playoffs, it's going to be up to Iginla, not Feaster. If he does move, he's going to pick his team.

If Iggy says he only wants to be traded to the Pens, he's going there. The return could be for a 7th if that's all Shero would be willing to give up and Feaster would accept.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:04 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I don't see how that's farfetched. If the Flames are out of the playoffs, it's going to be up to Iginla, not Feaster. If he does move, he's going to pick his team.

If Iggy says he only wants to be traded to the Pens, he's going there. The return could be for a 7th if that's all Shero would be willing to give up and Feaster would accept.
The guy has deep rooted problems with the Penguins? That seems pretty weird to me.

In any case, if Iginla only gives Feaster 1 option, Feaster either has to figure out a trade or risk losing him for nothing.

And Jeffrey is a borderline NHL'er? A team desperate enough to sign Begin, who no one wanted for an entire year should be talking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I know my research buddy. My problems with the Penguins are deep rooted for many years, but that discussion is not for this topic. But I will say it has nothing to do with Cooke or anything they you assumed I was talking about.

If you seriously think Maatta (who the Flames could have drafted twice and didn't), a conditional 1st and 25 year old borderline NHLer in Jeffrey would even get consideration in a potential Iginla trade you need to think again. That's not much, if any better than the return Dustin Penner and Mike Fisher returned.
Really, could have drafted twice? With what, the 1 pick they had in the 1st round of the draft this past year?

Right, seems like sound logic. Oh you think he would have gone in the 2nd round, is that it? Dear god, you really don't know your research. You keep proving it with every post you make.

If you think the Pens are going to give up a 1st and not have it be conditional, for a 35yr old winger, you really don't know the way the Pens GM conducts business. And really, Maatta would be one of your top defense prospects, stop pretending like your team is stacked on prospects, it really isn't.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:38 AM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
And Jeffrey is a borderline NHL'er? A team desperate enough to sign Begin, who no one wanted for an entire year should be talking?
Yes, sorry to break it to you but the 25 year old who has never played more than 26 games in an NHL season to date is a borderline NHL player at this point in his career. If you want to talk about research at least be aware of the fact that Begin was only signed because Lance Bouma went down with a season ending injury. Either way taking a shot like that at the Flames was not necessary in this first place.

Quote:
Really, could have drafted twice? With what, the 1 pick they had in the 1st round of the draft this past year?

Right, seems like sound logic. Oh you think he would have gone in the 2nd round, is that it? Dear god, you really don't know your research. You keep proving it with every post you make.

If you think the Pens are going to give up a 1st and not have it be conditional, for a 35yr old winger, you really don't know the way the Pens GM conducts business. And really, Maatta would be one of your top defense prospects, stop pretending like your team is stacked on prospects, it really isn't.
Yes, Maatta was passed on by Calgary twice last year. Once at 14, and once at 21 after trading down.

He is also not guaranteeing that Pittsburgh would part with a first, but is saying that Calgary would NOT trade Iginla unless that type of value+ is coming back.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:53 AM
Honour Over Glory

Right because the knee injury he had and the rehab he needed didn't prevent him from playing regularly last year right? Not everyone is Malkin and can come back from a knee injury in freakish record.

I'm cool with Ray waiting until the summer to sign Iginla for nothing. But hey, if the Flames end up asking him and he says Pittsburgh, someone has a little more power.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:30 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Right because the knee injury he had and the rehab he needed didn't prevent him from playing regularly last year right? Not everyone is Malkin and can come back from a knee injury in freakish record.

I'm cool with Ray waiting until the summer to sign Iginla for nothing. But hey, if the Flames end up asking him and he says Pittsburgh, someone has a little more power.
He will probably give the Flames a list of multiple teams. Iginla will give them a list of teams, not one single team.

Iginla will also have a job with Calgary waiting for him when he hangs up the skates, so it's hilarious for people to even think he's just going to walk away come free agency.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

I honestly think if he/mgmt decided it was time to part ways, Iggy would be happy with going to a team like Boston.

I doubt he forces them to move him to the Pens.

I think he wants to remain a Flame, but he really wants a cup as well. However, he doesn't want to look like a dick by forcing a trade either. The big question I have is why he hasn't re-signed yet. That is the only thing that makes me wonder if he wants out, or maybe there is a reason I'm not aware of.

He is in a tough spot and I hope in the end it works out for Iggy and the Flames.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Yes, sorry to break it to you but the 25 year old who has never played more than 26 games in an NHL season to date is a borderline NHL player at this point in his career. If you want to talk about research at least be aware of the fact that Begin was only signed because Lance Bouma went down with a season ending injury. Either way taking a shot like that at the Flames was not necessary in this first place.

Yes, Maatta was passed on by Calgary twice last year. Once at 14, and once at 21 after trading down.

He is also not guaranteeing that Pittsburgh would part with a first, but is saying that Calgary would NOT trade Iginla unless that type of value+ is coming back.
I think Calgary will easily get a guaranteed 1st as part of any Iginla deal.

Flames may have passed on Maatta but we don't know the reasons. The value they got from Buffalo to trade down may have been too good to pass up in their estimation. The decision to take Jankowski over Maatta may have been a tough call for them or maybe not. Only they would know. It's possible they still like Maatta quite a bit even though they passed on him.

Dustin Jeffrey would be a heck of a 3rd or 4th piece in a deal. The kid basically lost the last two seasons because of a knee injury but he looks good out there this year now that he's healthy. It's just tough to crack the Pens lineup when you're a natural center and you have guys like Crosby, Malkin and Sutter ahead of you.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:58 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I think Calgary will easily get a guaranteed 1st as part of any Iginla deal.

Flames may have passed on Maatta but we don't know the reasons. The value they got from Buffalo to trade down may have been too good to pass up in their estimation. The decision to take Jankowski over Maatta may have been a tough call for them or maybe not. Only they would know. It's possible they still like Maatta quite a bit even though they passed on him.

Dustin Jeffrey would be a heck of a 3rd or 4th piece in a deal. The kid basically lost the last two seasons because of a knee injury but he looks good out there this year now that he's healthy. It's just tough to crack the Pens lineup when you're a natural center and you have guys like Crosby, Malkin and Sutter ahead of you.
If you polled the other 29 team's GMs and asked them who you prefer, Maatta or Jankowski, only one would say Jankowski and he is in Calgary. Everyone else would have looked at you funny for asking the question. He was supposed to be a mid second round pick at best. The TV guys doing the draft were stunned at the selection.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I honestly think if he/mgmt decided it was time to part ways, Iggy would be happy with going to a team like Boston.

I doubt he forces them to move him to the Pens.

I think he wants to remain a Flame, but he really wants a cup as well. However, he doesn't want to look like a dick by forcing a trade either. The big question I have is why he hasn't re-signed yet. That is the only thing that makes me wonder if he wants out, or maybe there is a reason I'm not aware of.

He is in a tough spot and I hope in the end it works out for Iggy and the Flames.
Not that he's slumping currently, but the worst possible time for him to sign would be the beginning of any year where it always seems like he's lost something/lost a step.

I personally think outside of the first 3-4 games that Iggy has looked alot better this year, more involved in all 3 zones as opposed to past years.

Currently on pace for 70P in an 82 game season, not bad for a washed up old geezer.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'll be interested to see how the Iginla situation plays out. I do think he can pick his own team but I wonder how anal he'll be about it. Whether he'll give Calgary a list of teams and let them take the highest bid or if he wants Calgary to give him a list of teams, let him pick one and have Feaster try to work out a fair deal with that team.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I'll be interested to see how the Iginla situation plays out. I do think he can pick his own team but I wonder how anal he'll be about it. Whether he'll give Calgary a list of teams and let them take the highest bid or if he wants Calgary to give him a list of teams, let him pick one and have Feaster try to work out a fair deal with that team.
I personally think he will pick Boston. Long time friendship with Ference, alot of ties to the guys in their organization, would still get to play with some great C's there and Boston has certainly been no slouch this year.

The trade will shake down two ways, it will either be a very good return heading to Calgary, or it will be alot less then alot of people are expecting, which would be a service done to Iginla in order to put him in a great position to win a cup.

Calgary will be targetting C prospects or young C's in any deal, a much greater need then a player like the Pens fans have been offering up.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:11 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
I personally think he will pick Boston. Long time friendship with Ference, alot of ties to the guys in their organization, would still get to play with some great C's there and Boston has certainly been no slouch this year.

The trade will shake down two ways, it will either be a very good return heading to Calgary, or it will be alot less then alot of people are expecting, which would be a service done to Iginla in order to put him in a great position to win a cup.

Calgary will be targetting C prospects or young C's in any deal, a much greater need then a player like the Pens fans have been offering up.
Fans don't make trades, GMs do.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Not that he's slumping currently, but the worst possible time for him to sign would be the beginning of any year where it always seems like he's lost something/lost a step.

I personally think outside of the first 3-4 games that Iggy has looked alot better this year, more involved in all 3 zones as opposed to past years.

Currently on pace for 70P in an 82 game season, not bad for a washed up old geezer.
Why didn't he sign over the Summer? Was it the lockout or what?

I doubt anyone (who watches Iggy) thinks he is old and washed up. His power move to the net last game and the way he jumped on that loose puck for his sniping goal were vintage Iggy.

I think everyone worries when a guy hits 35, because most guys have their wheels fall off around that age. It is more an overall concern based on other players, than Iggy. I've already said he has 2-3 years of just below elite level play left in him.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Fans don't make trades, GMs do.
You should really take note of that.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey View Post
Mark Madden, who is number 1 in ratings in his time slot on the radio. He is a huge hockey fan and goes back to when the Pens came into the NHL. His guests are hockey beat writers from other cities, GM's, coaches and players.

He said today Jaromes value is no more than a 2nd round pick period.

The Pens can not sign him for 5 million. They have to fill out the rest of the NHL roster with the 10 million they have.
That's Madden's opinion, which means very little. He makes a career out of saying controversial stuff, that's his entire schtick. He'd much rather argue with/berate/hang up on callers than actually talk hockey much of the time. Between that and his constant talk about strippers and hot bartenders he'd like to see become strippers he has this idea that he's the Howard Stern of sports radio. He's a creeper and I'd take anything that comes out of his mouth (including his audible mouthbreathing) with a grain of salt.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:21 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
You should really take note of that.

Why? Because Shero isn't a guy that mortgages the future on rentals (Iginla, Perry) or questionable talents/fits (Seto, Hemsky) and I happen to share his viewpoint. Got it.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey View Post
Mark Madden, who is number 1 in ratings in his time slot on the radio. He is a huge hockey fan and goes back to when the Pens came into the NHL. His guests are hockey beat writers from other cities, GM's, coaches and players.

He said today Jaromes value is no more than a 2nd round pick period.

The Pens can not sign him for 5 million. They have to fill out the rest of the NHL roster with the 10 million they have.
He might be a hockey fan, but he knows about the same amount of hockey as a five year old kid in the Maldive Islands. Mark Madden is an idiot. He is nothing more than someone who wants ratings and unleashes trash out to get them. If that isn't the case, he is a bigger idiot than I though.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Why didn't he sign over the Summer? Was it the lockout or what?

I doubt anyone (who watches Iggy) thinks he is old and washed up. His power move to the net last game and the way he jumped on that loose puck for his sniping goal were vintage Iggy.

I think everyone worries when a guy hits 35, because most guys have their wheels fall off around that age. It is more an overall concern based on other players, than Iggy. I've already said he has 2-3 years of just below elite level play left in him.
Agree with you on Iggy. I'm pretty sure that he didn't sign because he didn't want to commit without knowing he the Flames additions would be, I know he said that he wouldn't necessarily want to be part of a rebuild and I don't think anybody would blame him for that.

I thought this would be the year Iginla gets traded, shortened season, alot of new additions, new coach. Takes some time for things to gel, for the coach to get the team de-sutterized/playing his system.

I don't necessarily think the Flames will be "buyers" but a move like obtaining O'reilly is essentially just a shot at accelerating a rebuild, those are the types of moves I'd expect, but this team likes to keep its fans guessing.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Why? Because Shero isn't a guy that mortgages the future on rentals (Iginla, Perry) or questionable talents/fits (Seto, Hemsky) and I happen to share his viewpoint. Got it.
I'm not telling him to mortgage the future, it must be pretty telling to fans that Calgary was willing to offer sheet Ryan O'reilly but not a player like P.K Subban. Calgary realizes they will need C's at some point to ever compete, Maata is a good prospect but Calgary will need and want C's long before targetting more D prospects in trades.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Madden isn't the genius he thinks he is.

Iginla is at least worth a top prospect, a 1st, and a position player. He's going to get the same package of Hossa/Kovalchuk.
Iginla will never bring the same as Hossa/Kovalchuk. Both were younger and better. I'm not saying Iginla is a bad player, but is a notch below the other two.

The reduced cap also hurts his value. The Pens just like some other teams can't pay him what he's worth. If the Pens did they would have 2 great lines and about 6 AHL players rounding the bottom 6 and D. Plus, nothing to bring up if someone gets hurt.

That's why most teams look at him as rental. You are not going to give up a ton for a player you know you will not sign.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:30 AM
madmike77

I don't think it's crazy that he might only get a 2nd back.

I mean he could leave the Flames for a playoff run with another team, then just re-sign in Calgary, essentially giving the Flames a free pick for a rental of a month or two.

If he signed an extension with the other team with a cap-friendly hit, then he'd be worth more.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:21 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
The guy has deep rooted problems with the Penguins? That seems pretty weird to me.

In any case, if Iginla only gives Feaster 1 option, Feaster either has to figure out a trade or risk losing him for nothing.

He doesn't like your team because they tanked to get your star players.

Begin took the year off the recover from injures he has been better then TKO who the pens just signed.

They traded down last year and could have drafted Maatta.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
I'm not telling him to mortgage the future, it must be pretty telling to fans that Calgary was willing to offer sheet Ryan O'reilly but not a player like P.K Subban. Calgary realizes they will need C's at some point to ever compete, Maata is a good prospect but Calgary will need and want C's long before targetting more D prospects in trades.
Then we are a poor match for you in a deal so there is no reason for Calgary fans to come on and try to get a boatload out of Pittsburgh for Iggy. We don't have centers to give and we aren't giving Sutter. We have D prospects everyone would love to get their hands on - except Toronto, Minnesota and now Calgary. Seems to me you could use some D prospects too. It's not like your system is loaded with them. Strictly wanting centers lowers your pool for a destination for Iggy, if he is traded. I get the feeling he won't be. Your organization doesn't want to give him up because he is the face of the franchise and you are still within shouting distance of the play-offs. Say you are two points out near the deadline, do you move him? I don't think so. I think all this chatter about Iggy getting deal is just like the last two years. Besides, the organization will place a hefty price tag to get his services. The two places rumored to be leaders are Pittsburgh and Boston. Will Boston pay the price? I'm not too sure, especially for a rental. They learned their lesson with Kaberle.

Last edited by OCPenguin: 03-08-2013 at 10:34 AM.