HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Trade Deadline Thread (CBJ deadline discussion here)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2013, 08:37 PM
  #526
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff
 
DJAnimosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Wales
Posts: 15,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
We are 1 point ahead of St. Louis and have played 3 more games. While it is nice seeing us in 8th place, it has a lot to do with the fact we have played more games than the teams behind us.

Games in hand also doesn't guarantee 2 points. St. Louis has done nothing over the past couple of weeks to show me that they're capable of doing anything with those 3 games. If anything, the pressure is on those teams behind us to do something with these extra games.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:07 PM
  #527
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,725
vCash: 500
The noose is tightening on Hitchcock (again).

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:17 PM
  #528
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,646
vCash: 500
so what could we realistically get using LA's 1st (not that I want to, but if it finds us a scorer...we should think about it)

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:21 PM
  #529
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
so what could we realistically get using LA's 1st (not that I want to, but if it finds us a scorer...we should think about it)
Hopefully we don't trade it. We shouldn't trade any futures for help this year.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:49 PM
  #530
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
You say that like it's supposed to refute the Believe Train. We might conceivably get in just by going 7-3-2 or 8-4 in the next 12. That's well with in our pace of the last month. Getting on the Believe Train doesn't mean you think it will be easy or even likely, just possible.
exactly. That's why it's called the Believe Train!

which is a lot more fun than the Analyze Train.

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:56 PM
  #531
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
exactly. That's why it's called the Believe Train!

which is a lot more fun than the Analyze Train.
I can believe AND analyze... the Intelligent Design Train.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:05 PM
  #532
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I can believe AND analyze... the Intelligent Design Train.
nice avatar

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:07 PM
  #533
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
must be weird to be Jarmo, and not just cause he's Finnish.

He's basically been given a competitive roster that is vying for a playoff spot. Probably a lot easier to make decisions when a lot of guys are playing badly and the team is out of the race.

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:09 PM
  #534
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
exactly. That's why it's called the Believe Train!

which is a lot more fun than the Analyze Train.
Your talking to the guy who is regularly accused of over-analyzing things. No one has to choose between the Analyze Train or the Believe Train. I run computations of our chances of making the playoffs regularly, and I now put it at 25% or so. That's more than enough for me to be on the Believe Train.

BTW, Lee Smith has the best avatars of all time. I seriously thought that was him for a while.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:14 PM
  #535
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 50
As others have said, I'm on-board with the following strategy for deadline.

1) JD and JK decide who really should be here going forward and who is expendable
2) If you get a great over-payment offer on someone expendable, send them out
3) If you don't, let this roster roll for the season and try to make the changes in the summer
4) Keep our draft picks off the table in any deal

I'm perfectly fine if nothing happens at the deadline and we just roll the dice on this team for this season and take our 3 first round draft picks to the bank.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:20 PM
  #536
alphafox
Registered User
 
alphafox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
so what could we realistically get using LA's 1st (not that I want to, but if it finds us a scorer...we should think about it)
I could see us packaging a first and somebody like Nikitin for a scoring help now and in the future. Maybe somebody like Pominville or possibly Stastny (with the first being conditional on an extension). Alternatively there are some guys I could see like Nino in NYI going for the LA 1st and possibly savard.

I still think we're sellers for the most part, and JD/JK's comments seem to have them looking to exploit the high prices at the deadline without blowing up the team's chances at the playoffs. I see a couple of pieces moved for draft assets/prospects and one trade for a player that makes us better up front now and going forward.

For a hypothetical example... Trade LA's 1st and Nikitin for Paul Stastny and a 2nd. That gives us centers of Johan, AA, Dubi, Brass, Stastny. We trade Brass for a 1st round and prospects. Trade Aucoin for a 3rd.

That would give us a projected line-up of

Calvert-AA-Atkinson
Foligno-Johan-Umby
Dubi-Stastny-Prospal
Boll-DMac-Letestu

JMFJ-Wiz
Tyutin-Moore
Erixon-Prout

Bob
Mason

And we have Our first, NYR first, First from the Brass trade (which could very well end up better than LA's), our second, colorado's second, and the third for Aucoin.


Last edited by alphafox: 03-31-2013 at 10:26 PM.
alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
  #537
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
must be weird to be Jarmo, and not just cause he's Finnish.

He's basically been given a competitive roster that is vying for a playoff spot. Probably a lot easier to make decisions when a lot of guys are playing badly and the team is out of the race.
If JD didn't bring Jarmo on board when he did, Howson would still be GM right now.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
  #538
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Your talking to the guy who is regularly accused of over-analyzing things. No one has to choose between the Analyze Train or the Believe Train. I run computations of our chances of making the playoffs regularly, and I now put it at 25% or so. That's more than enough for me to be on the Believe Train.

BTW, Lee Smith has the best avatars of all time. I seriously thought that was him for a while.
way to over-analyze my comment

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:24 PM
  #539
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If JD didn't bring Jarmo on board when he did, Howson would still be GM right now.
um...

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:27 PM
  #540
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
um...
My comment is for those who don't believe Howson's axing sparked the team. I'm not sure where I fall on that theory.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:35 PM
  #541
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
My comment is for those who don't believe Howson's axing sparked the team. I'm not sure where I fall on that theory.
I don't think that.

Who other than Bobrovsky is playing over their heads? The Jackets vets have generally maintained their production compared to the rest of their careers here. It's the new guys who are contributing. Guys Howson brought in. If this was last season when DD raised his game considerably, we could say oh he's playing better than we've ever seen him play because of the change at the top. But no one is playing better than we've ever seen them play (some would argue that Nikitin has regressed and Umberger too, at least at the start).

The team is playing better than we've seen for some time, but the team was assembled by ol' what's his name

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
  #542
alphafox
Registered User
 
alphafox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
My comment is for those who don't believe Howson's axing sparked the team. I'm not sure where I fall on that theory.
I don't believe it as much as many do, but there is no way it is only coincidence. The team began to win because alot of things come together

1. the continued evolution and progression of Bob's game under Ian Clark
2. the team finally starting to gel and the new pieces starting to get familiar with each other
3. Richards making a deal with someone to give him the oratory powers of Churchill and Cicero
4. The firing of howson showing that JD is ready and willing to tear this thing down and do a complete rebuild with his people.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:38 PM
  #543
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
My comment is for those who don't believe Howson's axing sparked the team. I'm not sure where I fall on that theory.
Immediately after firing Howson, Columbus went 1-5-0 in the next six games.

Must've been one hell of a spark.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:40 PM
  #544
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I don't believe it as much as many do, but there is no way it is only coincidence. The team began to win because alot of things come together

1. the continued evolution and progression of Bob's game under Ian Clark
2. the team finally starting to gel and the new pieces starting to get familiar with each other
3. Richards making a deal with someone to give him the oratory powers of Churchill and Cicero
4. The firing of howson showing that JD is ready and willing to tear this thing down and do a complete rebuild with his people.
5. the emergence of Calvert and to a lesser extent Atkinson, especially lately on a line with Anisimov
6. the contributions of Letestu and Foligno
7. the steadiness of the blue line, with mentions to Erixon, Prout, JJ's minutes, and Tyutin's scoring at the start of the year
8. the absence of Rick Nash

all feathers in Howson's hat

(edit because I misspelled Anisimov intially, and to say that points 1-3 and 5-8 debunk point 4

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:43 PM
  #545
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Immediately after firing Howson, Columbus went 1-5-0 in the next six games.

Must've been one hell of a spark.
a slow burn

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:44 PM
  #546
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,725
vCash: 500
9. The no-nonsense, hard-working culture brought in by Prospal, Letestu, Johnson, Dubinsky and Bobrovsky. This one trumps 1-8 and yes, I know who brought in all of the aforementioned.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:46 PM
  #547
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,280
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I could see us packaging a first and somebody like Nikitin for a scoring help now and in the future. Maybe somebody like Pominville or possibly Stastny (with the first being conditional on an extension). Alternatively there are some guys I could see like Nino in NYI going for the LA 1st and possibly savard.
I just don't see this as even a remote possibility. I'd actually like to get Nino, but I don't think it would be worth the cost.

I'd prefer to keep all of the first round picks. I'd be open to dealing them at the draft because I believe they hold more value then than now.

I honestly expect very little movement, nor do I expect to trade for any immediate scoring help unless the cost is small.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
  #548
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
9. The no-nonsense, hard-working culture brought in by Prospal, Letestu, Johnson, Dubinsky and Bobrovsky. This one trumps 1-8 and yes, I know who brought in all of the aforementioned.
ok but especially #4

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:49 PM
  #549
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I just don't see this as even a remote possibility. I'd actually like to get Nino, but I don't think it would be worth the cost.

I'd prefer to keep all of the first round picks. I'd be open to dealing them at the draft because I believe they hold more value then than now.

I honestly expect very little movement, nor do I expect to trade for any immediate scoring help unless the cost is small.
I expect little movement, too, especially at the deadline. But LA's first is not untouchable

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:58 PM
  #550
sabresandcanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Sabres fan here....I'm curious for your thoughts on this proposal...Thomas Vanek for two of your first round picks.

I doubt this happens, and to be honest Regier would likely want more...but is Columbus in the market for a sniper of Vanek's quality?

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.