HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Adrian Dater: Is it time to move Paul Stastny?

Old
03-07-2013, 03:21 PM
daveleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Link, please?

I don't have any homer glasses on, simply because I have, quite possibly, no reason to be homer-ish on the situation. I think any 'rift' going forward is a myth getting entirely too much attention, and fabricated by fanbases. Sherman knew full well that his player was subject to an offer sheet, and there have been many in the past. This isn't any of the current stable of GM's first lessons on that concept. Many offers sheets have been placed on quality RFA's in the past.

Colorado may not like what happened with the O'reilly situation, same with Calgary, but I doubt it affects future business. These are professionals, and will look at any and all way to improve their clubs. They may not trade for a while, but that'll be extent of that. You watch too many movies if you think otherwise.
Just about every GM in the past has gotten raked over the coals for it. Bobby Clarke, Kevin Lowe...nobody likes them. No one likes to be pushed in a corner. We all have the capacity to forgive but how many people forget?

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Yeah, sorry. Watched that clip, and my point still stands. What was he supposed to say? He's commenting on another club's actions. That sounded pretty standard if you ask me, not sure how else he's supposed to answer that.

In my opinon, you guys are making up tabloid fodder if you think this is going to create long-lasting bad blood between the two clubs. At most, they won't trade for a while... that's about it. They'll get over it, and it'll probably be sooner than you think.

CobraAcesS, Freudian, daveleaf... we'll just agree to disagree. You guys can interpret it your way, and I will my own.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man: 03-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Yeah, sorry. Watched that clip, and my point still stands. What was he supposed to say? He's commenting on another club's actions. That sounded pretty standard if you ask me, not sure how else he's supposed to answer that.

In my opinon, you guys are making up tabloid fodder if you think this is going to create long-lasting bad blood between the two clubs. At most, they won't trade for a while... that's about it. They'll get over it, and it'll probably be sooner than you think.

CobraAcesS, Freudian, daveleaf... we'll just agree to disagree. You guys can interpret it your way, and I will my own.
Fair enough, but you said yourself.
Quote:
They may not trade for a while, but that'll be extent of that.
Kind of negates the idea of trade proposals between the two teams at this years deadline.

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Fair enough, but you said yourself.

Kind of negates the idea of trade proposals between the two teams at this years deadline.
Well, not really sure why these two teams HAVE to trade with each other to begin with, or how you could accurately pinpoint a 'no-trade' timeframe (given no one knows the extent of conversations GM's have with each other in private), but if there's a deal to be had at the deadline for these clubs... they'll make one regardless of past history.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:48 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Well, not really sure why these two teams HAVE to trade with each other to begin with, or how you could accurately pinpoint a 'no-trade' timeframe (given no one knows the extent of conversations GM's have with each other in private), but if there's a deal to be had at the deadline for these clubs... they'll make one regardless of past history.
And my argument is that the 'deal to be had' better be such an obvious 'take' in Colorado's favor, or they explore other better options that don't involve a team that painted us into a corner contract-wise with one of our core players.

Which trade do you think Colorado makes first?

Stastny for Gio/Jaybo + Obviously the plus isn't going to be anything that worth while, as CGY isn't giving up their 1st, and does not have much in the way of valuable prospects. Hell or even roster players that we would need, seeing as we don't need 'depth' players.

Gio is a boarderline top pairing defender, and Jaybo is having one good start to the season out of a gawd awful history.

Or

Stastny + 'For arguments sake' Sgarbossa for Yandle?

I take Yandle every day of the week because of his age. There are other options out there and ones that don't involve a GM with our blood on his hands.

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
sully1410

vCash: 127
he'll end up a Jet

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
And my argument is that the 'deal to be had' better be such an obvious 'take' in Colorado's favor, or they explore other better options that don't involve a team that painted us into a corner contract-wise with one of our core players.

Which trade do you think Colorado makes first?
I don't think it has to be an obvious 'take' in Colorado's favour; it simply has to address a need that Colorado has identified as a priority.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
I don't think it has to be an obvious 'take' in Colorado's favour; it simply has to address a need that Colorado has identified as a priority.
Nope, theres definitely a rivalry created between the Avs and Flames after the offer sheet. The way Sherman worded the presser when talking about the Flames made that pretty obvious.

Avs wont make any trades with the Flames unless its an obvious steal for them. And I would be willing to bet if Sven Baertschi is an RFA come July 1st of next year or whenever his contract is up, their will be a nice OS waiting for him.(Possibly Backlund this year as well).

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Nope, theres definitely a rivalry created between the Avs and Flames after the offer sheet. The way Sherman worded the presser when talking about the Flames made that pretty obvious.

Avs wont make any trades with the Flames unless its an obvious steal for them. And I would be willing to bet if Sven Baertschi is an RFA come July 1st of next year or whenever his contract is up, their will be a nice OS waiting for him.(Possibly Backlund this year as well).
Completely disagree with pretty much everything you said. But that's cool, they're just differences of opinion.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Iracundia

vCash: 50
Quote:
And I would be willing to bet if Sven Baertschi is an RFA come July 1st of next year or whenever his contract is up, their will be a nice OS waiting for him.(Possibly Backlund this year as well).
Well said. You know the agents for the Flames future RFA's just did a collective fist pump with a "Ching Ching"

Iracundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Blue Goose
HFB Partner

Quote:
Exactly.
It's. A. Business. If Sherman specifically avoids improving his team and acquiring, say, Jaybo or Giordano because of a grudge, then he deserves to lose his job.

Quote:
Well then, what about this thought:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If a deal centered around...

COL: Bouwmeester
STL: Stastny
CAL: Berglund

(with a few tweaks to even things out) would get a deal done then I think everyone would be happy, unless Calgary really wants to hold onto J-Bo over Giordano! Colorado might not be happy with Calgary, but this should be easier to swallow for them because they aren't going to end up seeing one of their own players in a Flames jersey.
That'll show 'em! Sherman gets his D-man AND doesn't see anyone from his roster playing in Calgary.

Quote:
I'll take that bet.

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Iracundia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
That'll show 'em! Sherman gets his D-man AND doesn't see anyone from his roster playing in Calgary.
Stastny to the Blues would pretty much ensure Sherman is no longer the GM of the Avs. If Stastny is traded it will be to the Eastern Conference. Quit with your unrealistic thoughts of Stastny wearing a blue note.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:51 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iracundia View Post
Stastny to the Blues would pretty much ensure Sherman is no longer the GM of the Avs. If Stastny is traded it will be to the Eastern Conference. Quit with your unrealistic thoughts of Stastny wearing a blue note.
Why would that be?
If the Avs decide ROR over Staz, the best offer is the best offer. The Avs have traded with plenty of Western teams as well as within division when they have wanted to.

AslanRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Iracundia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Why would that be?
If the Avs decide ROR over Staz, the best offer is the best offer. The Avs have traded with plenty of Western teams as well as within division when they have wanted to.
Yeah strange that all the rumoured teams for ROR were in the East (Tor, TB, NYR). If its a complete OVERPAYMENT, then yes, Stastny goes to a division rival in the Blues.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Blue Goose
HFB Partner

Quote:
Why would that be?
And the more I think about it, you have to wonder if teams interested in Stastny might be worried that they'll have to pay him $6.6M next season and then have him walk as a UFA at the end of the year. Of the teams that could acquire him AND re-sign him, you'd have to think that the Blues would be a front-runner (due to all of the reasons previously mentioned in this thread). As a result, there's a chance STL makes the best offer.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:00 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
Yeah strange that all the rumoured teams for ROR were in the East (Tor, TB, NYR). If its a complete OVERPAYMENT, then yes, Stastny goes to a division rival in the Blues.

I get it, only the rumored teams were interested and if there wasn't a rumor, there was no discussion. Avs are notorious for disclosing their business dealings after all.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
YotesFan47

If I'm Phoenix I would accept a deal where Colorado sends us stastny, retains $1.1m, and sends a 2nd rounder in 2013 for Yandle.

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Iracundia

Quote:

I get it, only the rumored teams were interested and if there wasn't a rumor, there was no discussion. Avs are notorious for disclosing their business dealings after all.
There were many teams from both conferences that called the Avs and made offers for ROR. The Avs were only interested in making a trade with an Eastern Conference team based on Daters reports.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Blue Goose
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Colorado would never trade one of their Top 6 forwards to STL in a deal that would land them a top pair d-man in return. What was I thinking?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Quaz

If Stastny is the 3rd line center for the AV's next year maybe the Blues will wait till he becomes an UFA and sign him then.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:35 AM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
There were many teams from both conferences that called the Avs and made offers for ROR. The Avs were only interested in making a trade with an Eastern Conference team based on Daters reports.
The same Dater that has done nothing but rip the Avs FO about Anderson, Stewart, and Shatty? If I'm the FO, he's not the first guy I give any info to about pending trades. Let him complain after the fact rather than during.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:11 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
I'll take Jaybo personally over Gio, but I think EJ needs an offensive partner. Also make that 2nd a 1st rounder, STL's 2nd is going to be way way to late to bring much value.

Edit.. Forgot to mention, the price gets a little higher when we are probably going to be in the same Division next year.
Lol, no, we're not trading Berglund and a 2d to get a 6.6M guy much less Berglund and a 1st.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:25 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
You do realize it's going to cost you though right? It's going to be a winger you don't want to give up like Oshie. Especially with our teams setup to be division rivals in the coming years...
Enough with the Oshie thing. That's absolutely crazy. Oshie is a better player than Stastny and he's on a WAYYYYYY better contract. Avs would CLEARLY be adding to get Oshie even if they were equal quality. Let me put it this way, Oshie on his contract would definitely attract better offers than Stastny on his contract, therefore Oshie has more value and therefore this would not be a deal considered by the Blues. Until the past couple of games, Oshie had been easily the Blues' most consistent and reliable forward this year, so his value is up. And your earlier-stated theory about the Blues being willing to outbid everyone because he's a local kid is creative but baseless.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:29 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Enough with the Oshie thing. That's absolutely crazy. Oshie is a better player than Stastny and he's on a WAYYYYYY better contract. Avs would CLEARLY be adding to get Oshie even if they were equal quality. Let me put it this way, Oshie on his contract would definitely attract better offers than Stastny on his contract, therefore Oshie has more value and therefore this would not be a deal considered by the Blues. Until the past couple of games, Oshie had been easily the Blues' most consistent and reliable forward this year, so his value is up. And your earlier-stated theory about the Blues being willing to outbid everyone because he's a local kid is creative but baseless.
Wow you cannot be serious.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:39 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

A big reason it's a bad idea for the Blues to trade for Stastny right now is a huge part of the premise is his salary has to come down during his next contract. What happens if he has a big year next regular season? Great for the Blues in a sense, get great production, but now how much do you have to pay him? Maybe when you spent assets in the next few weeks to get the guy you thought ~5M might be a more reasonable salary range that the hometown kid might accept. But then all of a sudden you're looking at 7M or more on the open market with a big year. If you're the Blues, this has serious ripple effects given the other big RFA deals this coming summer you'll be locking into. You trade assets (we'll use Berglund as an example since he's been used in this thread) then you are in a position where you have to trade someone decent off the roster because you can't afford everybody, not because it's the best hockey move.

That's why this deadline is a bad deal in particular for the Blues. Not to mention the fact that LHD is a FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more pressing need than more firepower up front. Now, NEXT deadline, once the big RFA contracts are determined, and once it's fairly clear what kind of contract year Stastny's having, THEN maybe there's a fit next deadline ... maybe. And if you risk not getting in on the bidding and he goes somewhere else this deadline, oh well. There have been far more disappointing miss-outs.